• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I agree, the Nolan movies are all among the best comic book films and that includes Rises which gets nitpicked to death.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Agreed.

I really enjoyed this movie despite all its flaws, but I find myself not enjoying MCU/DCU films much so that makes sense.

I also loved Logan and believe Batman is ripe for a similarly "small" story on film.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
The Burton Batman movies were better than TDKR.
The only thing I didn't like about Nolan movies were the fact Christian bale never felt like batman to just seemed like a guy in a suit to me, if you put him in a special ops suit nothing would have changed but slight dialog, with that being said they are still good movies tho well except the third

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great end to a wonderful trilogy.

I still find it funny that we got to a second OT for it at the other place.

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I agree, the Nolan movies are all among the best comic book films and that includes Rises which gets nitpicked to death.

If we're counting animated this is still the best Batman movie ever:

565.jpg

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's totally legit. Michael Caine, Christian Bale and Gary Oldman are hard to beat and elevate the material.

Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong Bruce. Most superhero films nowadays is cynically made trash without any vision. That's why we're able to get a dozen of them every year now.

It's ironic because this is the worst movie you could possibly use as an example. A cynically made trilogy ender so inconsistent in vision that it's clear Nolan was forced to make it.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think The Dark Knight Rises isn't great at all. It's a shame because The Dark Knight is great. I just can't stop all the flaws and issues from bogging down my experience while watching it.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit when people call the TDKR a grounded movie leaves me a little baffled when so many things were incredibly unrealistic. Bruce's recovering from a broken back was fucking silly and not at all grounded.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
Completely agree OP.

It has huge flaws. That cop Blake should have just been Grayson. Tweak out a few other corny things.
Nolan did not completely nail the landing, but that movie stands above most of the class.
The ending threw me for loop, reading the comics for so long I was ready for Bruce to die.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
The dark knight is better than that turd in every way. Tons of the marvel movies are better too even if their formulaic at least they're not stupid as fuck.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit when people call the TDKR a grounded movie leaves me a little baffled when so many things were incredibly unrealistic. Bruce's recovering from a broken back was fucking silly and not at all grounded.
I remember thinking Begins was fairly realistic and believeable in 2005. I guess back in those days compared to Fantastic Four it was. Not anymore. Hell naw.

These movies are all fucking ridiculous.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same. I'll take it over everything from the DCEU and most of the MCU.

Batman Begins and TDK are on a higher level than everything else though.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It really should have been in two parts the more I think about it. The movie is so bizarrely paced that no single element really gets to shine as much as it needs to. You are waiting for like the first half of the movie for Batman to come back, and when he does... it's kinda anti-climactic? And then he gets taken out only for him to have to go through rebuilding himself again.

It's just kind of a mess, but it wears its ambitions on its sleeve. I can respect elements of it, but yeah... The action is bad, some of the logic behind it is a mess, the movie has some of the weakest performances in the trilogy (though some great ones too).

If the movie was two parts, I would've wanted to see some things fleshed out/introduced. I would've wanted to see Barbara involved, and she'd be about the right age for when that character starts to get herself involved in that world. Catwoman's whole heroic development and Bruce's inexplicable trust of her is woefully undercooked. If it was a two-parter, I would've wanted to see Green Arrow fit into this world too. Because if this movie is going to pull so much from Dark Knight Returns, what's one more element, right?

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer it to Dark Knight, because it goes back to building around Bruce like Begins. While the film is messy, the emotional core and the arc for Bruce is intact. Which was missing from Dark Knight. His refusal to let go, growing, and eventually putting away the cape is fantastic. It's a great ending to the series, but I can also see why people dislike it easily. Since it's such an amazing waste. It takes from the best Batman movie and should have used a home run(Phantom of the Mask), Bane was the perfect counter part after Raz and Joker, an equal match to Batman. And the build up to it was great with Bane breaking the Bats. Hell, Gotham's descend was as well. But man, did they fucking drop the ball right after that part. With no clear focus from that point on.

But it finishes Bruce's arc so perfectly. I can't hate it.

Begins is still the best.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
It's ironic because this is the worst movie you could possibly use as an example. A cynically made trilogy ender so inconsistent in vision that it's clear Nolan was forced to make it.
Don't get the wrong idea, I personally think it's not a very good film (it's very memorable and quotable though). But it's at least apparent when watching the film it was thought up and made by a human, I cannot say the same for most Marvel and DC films coming out now...

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Dark Knight is still my favorite tbh. That Joker performance was insanely good. And the movie was just so good overall. I guess it will never be topped for me.

I might have some nostalgic bias to it since i watched it as a young teen but still.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's straight up better than any superhero movie released since with the exception of Logan. The simple reason being it has a much stronger emotional core and a villain that is actually memorable and serves as a good counterpart.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it, flaws aside. Not as self important or preachy as its predecessors.

Old Batman, out of retirement, awesome.

I just wish he'd actually died. Living feels like a copout.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As I've said before, a lot of the genre is trash so TDKR being in the better half isn't some huge achievement.

But yeah, it's just not very good.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017

That's the only thing that took me out of the movie. Was such bullshit. I can only suspend my disbelief so far lol. Remember talking to my bro in-depth about how that back got healed.

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I remember thinking Begins was fairly realistic and believeable in 2005. I guess back in those days compared to Fantastic Four it was. Not anymore. Hell naw.

These movies are all fucking ridiculous.

That's the only thing that took me out of the movie. Was such bullshit. I can only suspend my disbelief so far lol. Remember talking to my bro in-depth about how that back got healed.

Wait a second are you guys trying to say that this movie isn't grounded when compared to the modern superhero movie or just in general?

Oct 27, 2017
Not really a fan of the Nolan trilogy, way too dark and grounded for my taste. Christian Bale just really didn't feel like Batman.

The first couple Times Burton movies are my favorite depiction to Batman in film. I'd say Michael Keaton Batman is the best. I've not seen Ben Affleck Batman in film yet, so I can't judge him in this.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rises is the worst of the three but the trilogy is utterly fantastic.

Nobody with even close to the amount of talent of Nolan is directing the current crop of comic book movies. It was unconcerned with being part of some shitty connected universe of whatever, but just being the great movies Nolan wanted to make.

Dark knight isn't just the best super hero movie by an absolute mile, it deserves to be on, say, 25/50 best movies of all time lists.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a second are you guys trying to say that this movie isn't grounded when compared to the modern superhero movie or just in general?

Only thing I'm really saying is the way that Bruce's back got healed was unbelievable. It's the only thing about the movie that actually bothered me in the theatre. Shit was just too removed from actual medical science for me to accept lol. I think it would have bothered me in any movie.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Knight Rises is still better than a majority of superhero films out there. Most of the criticism it receives is from the perspective of a Christopher Nolan superhero film. For me, the story feels so incredibly phoned in compared to its two predecessors

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
beside some cringe dialogues and dumb scenes. It was an awesome movie. It has some very powerful scenes

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
Weakest of the 3 but I still enjoyed it greatly, yet people talk about it here like it's unwatchable.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I'd want to read a graphic novel version of it, or maybe play a video game. There's too many aspects that land poorly or seem hokey. Batman visible in flashes of light while dodging bullets in a dark tunnel should be awesome, but it looks silly here. The fight choreography, some of the delivery and the pacing might be more palatable for me in a different form.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
TDKR was only a lesser film compared to BB and TDK lol.

Haven't seen any superhero movie come close to what those 3 movies achieved. To be fair though, every other superhero movie seems to take a bit of a more light hearted approach.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like it as much as the first two, but I look back on it more favorably now with how sub-par the DCEU has been and Affleck's Batman. The two Bane fights in particular are really well done, not so much the choreography, but the setting and dialogue. Very intense fight scenes. Despite my issues with it, TDKR solidified Bale's Batman as one of my favorite versions of the character.

I shoud also add that the novelization did a good job at filling in some of the gaps such as Joker's whereabouts which made me enjoy the story a bit more.

Last edited:

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I never got the hate for rises, sure it has issues but it is still better made than anything DC has put out since with Wonder Woman being the exception. That ending fight was one of the more memorable theater experiences I have ever had.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Only thing I'm really saying is the way that Bruce's back got healed was unbelievable. It's the only thing about the movie that actually bothered me in the theatre. Shit was just too removed from actual medical science for me to accept lol. I think it would have bothered me in any movie.

Oh okay gotcha. See that doesn't bother me especially because modern medicine is such a shit show as it is I don't have an issue suspending my belief in that way.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's the weakest of the three and Nolan's "worst" work overall but it absolutely has merit. No one makes films like that guy does anymore and the concept of having a Batman film reflect on A Tale of Two Cities and the Occupy movement sounds amazing.

It's a solid film but not a great one. That alone puts it above a lot of the cookie cutter shit that dominated 2010-2014.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It's a great movie. Unless you only watch like 5 movies a year I don't really understand how you could think it's terrible. Sure, it has a lot of flaws, but the Internet loves to be hyperbolic about superhero movies so I don't take the hate too seriously.

BitByDeath

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I must be in the minority, I thought it was the worst one ever made.

It made no sense for Batman to beat Bane, it felt like they just run out of time and had to end it.

He hadn't even recovered from the first fight where he got absolutely thrashed and we're supposed to believe he can now win with substantial injuries?

Bad movie is bad.

SieteBlanco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Won't anyone think of the billionaires and all the other rich people?!" - Christopher Nolan in The Dark Knight Rises

Oct 31, 2017
I was pretty damn excited to see this as I saw TDK 4 times in theaters, which I think is still the most I've rewatched a movie in a theater setting. I came out of this movie crushingly disappointed, like, I think BB and TDK are amazing films, beyond comic books/superheroes, and TDKR was such a let down in comparison.

I haven't seen it since, though you are probably right that it is probably better than most superhero/comic book movies made, despite its flaws and its shortcomings compared against its predecessors. The scene in the sewers where Batman confronts Bane and he rushes the camera was one of the goofiest, most jarring moments I've ever had watching a movie, especially one I was so excited for. haha Coupled with Talia and Bane both being lame, and the ridiculousness of several elements in the film (Bruce climbing out of the prison well, the bomb plot, fucking Joseph Gordon-Levitt being "Robin")

I should rewatch all of these sometime, maybe I will over the holidays!

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy is better than 95% of the other superhero films. TDKR is the worst of the trilogy however (though still great).