• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I would love a new Castlevania game. I am not even a big Smash fan but seeing the bosses in that video was amazing.

But is Konami even up to making a good videogame these days though?

I think I would be more interested in another company taking on the franchise.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You guys are definitely not alone in this.
Both Simon's Quest and Castlevania 64 & Legacy of Darkness have problems that quite hamper the enjoyment of the games. But the moody and sometimes depressing atmosphere in these games is really unique and something I wish would have been built upon more in later Castlevania's. I thought Lords of Shadow was a good try, but tried to be overly cinematic.

Indeed, CV2 has a drab atmosphere that no other 2D CV replicated. And Legacy of Darkness also has that empty and depressing feel that other 3D CV didn't have. My guess is that Iga's 3D CV tried to make everything too ornamental and pretty, and that kinda makes it lose that air of uncertainty.

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Oh cmon! I know Lords of Shadow is not particularly popular on Era but I thought it was common knowledge that LoS1 is hands down th best 3D Castlevania ever made.

I like Castlevania 64 more than the average fan but I'd never say it's a better game than LoS1.

Lament of Innocence is the best 3D Castlevania. Come at me hahaha.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Secret best 3D Castlevania. I'd be happy with an HD remake when Nintendo's scraping the barrel in a few years for Wii-makes.

Bloodborne is still my favorite interpretation of 3D Castlevania, honestly. It's the one game I've played that carries on the series' spirit while also just being an unquestionably good game.

Pandora...couldn't hold my attention for more than a day or two.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Bloodstained on the way I would love a Mega Man-style legacy collection more than anything. Symphony of the Night still isn't available on PS4, and Rondo is barely available anywhere.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
With Bloodstained on the way I would love a Mega Man-style legacy collection more than anything. Symphony of the Night still isn't available on PS4, and Rondo is barely available anywhere.

I don't really want a collection, myself, but I would totally buy SotN if it were put up on PSN by itself. I don't want to pay $60 for a bunch of other games when all I really need is that one.

It'd be really cool if Konami was somehow convinced to do both.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really want a collection, myself, but I would totally buy SotN if it were put up on PSN by itself. I don't want to pay $60 for a bunch of other games when all I really need is that one.

It'd be really cool if Konami was somehow convinced to do both.
The series really needs a collection with many of its titles scattered across various platforms. They could honestly do 2 $60 collections with the amount of games they have.

It would be nice to have all the games on one platform going forward.

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I would love a new Castlevania game. I am not even a big Smash fan but seeing the bosses in that video was amazing.

But is Konami even up to making a good videogame these days though?

I think I would be more interested in another company taking on the franchise.

M2 developed Castlevania Adventure ReBirth, so it seems like a great one-stop shop for a double-scoop: new game and a sweet compilation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The series really needs a collection with many of its titles scattered across various platforms. They could honestly do 2 $60 collections with the amount of games they have.

It would be nice to have all the games on one platform going forward.

I hear ya. I just personally don't want to spend 60 on a bunch of games I won't play more than once when I just need the one. At least put SotN up a la carte and then let people buy the collections if they want.

I really don't need or want to have to put in a disc just to play SotN again, y'know?

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hear ya. I just personally don't want to spend 60 on a bunch of games I won't play more than once when I just need the one. At least put SotN up a la carte and then let people buy the collections if they want.

I really don't need or want to have to put in a disc just to play SotN again, y'know?
It wouldn't be too far out there for them to sell titles individually digitally. It's happened before with other collections.

That being said, it would be a good way to maximize sales from people such as yourself that one want a specific title or two.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Oh cmon! I know Lords of Shadow is not particularly popular on Era but I thought it was common knowledge that LoS1 is hands down th best 3D Castlevania ever made.

I like Castlevania 64 more than the average fan but I'd never say it's a better game than LoS1.

It is certainly the most professional and high quality game.

But I said in terms of adhering to the spirit of the series. CV on 64 was like a hybrid of Castlevania IV and II in 3D, a real gothic action platformer.

I think 64 is better than LoS. I like LoS though. I think it's quite good. But 64 feels like a real evolution of the 2D Actionvania games to me. The platforming in that game is hardcore, and some of the puzzle solving is surprisingly vexing. I think I'm probably the biggest fan of that game in the universe.

Yup, I totally agree. Shit, I thought I was the only person that felt that way for a while with all the hate CV64 gets. It literally felt like a 3D evolution of SCVIV. It had the same lonely desolate atmosphere, some brutal platforming segments with cruel enemy placement, and a really good soundtrack that was more like a cinematic horror soundtrack, but still contained a lot of echoes and references to the classic soundtracks. I'm actually a pretty huge fan of that game too. I still pull it out and play it from time to time.

Yeah, I don't know. I'm firmly in the camp that believes SOTN was Hagihara's baby. The game just feels like an evolution of Rondo (structurewise and plotwise) with some elements of Metroid thrown into the mix. When Iga gets his hands on the plot, it generally ends up a lot more overly complicated and anime-like.

Indeed, CV2 has a drab atmosphere that no other 2D CV replicated. And Legacy of Darkness also has that empty and depressing feel that other 3D CV didn't have. My guess is that Iga's 3D CV tried to make everything too ornamental and pretty, and that kinda makes it lose that air of uncertainty.

I totally agree with this as well. I don't hate LOI, it just doesn't feel much like Castlevania to me, whereas Castlevania 64 totally did. LOI felt very gothic and regal, but it really dropped the ball on the horror aspects of the series (as did most of Iga's stuff). I also just wasn't a big fan of the combat focus, with the combo counts flashing on the screen and stuff. I felt like I was playing Devil May Cry.

This thread is an eye opener though, I also thought I was the only person out there disappointed that they wiped Sonia and Legends from the canon. Sonia was a hell of a lot more of an interesting direction than Leon turned out to be (though I agree with the other poster that I wasn't a big fan of Alucard basically giving rise to the Belmont legacy). The game itself was mediocre, but I still enjoyed it and thought it was cool they went with a female character for the first Belmont.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
What if it's Castlevania Judgment HD?

Is saying "I'd be OK with that" terrible? Because I would be.

Judgment gets a lot of hate as well, but I thought it was totally OK for what it was, a party fighter with shitloads of Castlevania fan service and an exceptional soundtrack.

The biggest problem with Judgement is absolutely nobody wanted a Castlevania party fighter, especially one where all the characters were redesigned by the Death Note guy.

I don't remember the specifics, but I recall reading interviews where Iga talks about really pushing for that game. Something about him being obsessed with making a Castlevania game for the Wii where you could feel the motion of the whip, and a fighting game being the only logical solution?

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Bloodborne is still my favorite interpretation of 3D Castlevania, honestly. It's the one game I've played that carries on the series' spirit while also just being an unquestionably good game.

Pandora...couldn't hold my attention for more than a day or two.

Fair enough. I just feel like Pandora's Tower has literal 3D Castlevania elements like the combat and exploration, and the tragic romance at the heart of the motivation of the MC, while Bloodborne captures Castlevania in a thematic, poetic sense, but the Lovecraftian elements and ultimate despair (and maybe even futility) is not really Castlevania's thing.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
rnUKraz.jpg

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
If there is, it will probably be bad. I would LOVE to see a quality game in the series drop. I just don't believe Konami is in the place to release a great Castlevania game.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The biggest problem with Judgement is absolutely nobody wanted a Castlevania party fighter, especially one where all the characters were redesigned by the Death Note guy.

I don't remember the specifics, but I recall reading interviews where Iga talks about really pushing for that game. Something about him being obsessed with making a Castlevania game for the Wii where you could feel the motion of the whip, and a fighting game being the only logical solution?
It's not like it's actually the worst game ever made, but it's so incredibly misguided as to be offensive. Just a complete waste of everyone's time.

NOBODY wanted a Castlevania fighting game - the 'gimmick fighting game' ship had sailed a decade earlier. And if you're going to do fan service as a selling point, don't redesign all the characters until they're unrecognisable.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017

Totally agree. I found the sweetspot with CV64 years later and have played it start to finish several times but I would never argue it's better than LoS.

It's a shame we never got a true generational sequel to LoS that expanded on what they had while adding in design elements from this gen's best.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like it's actually the worst game ever made, but it's so incredibly misguided as to be offensive. Just a complete waste of everyone's time.

NOBODY wanted a Castlevania fighting game - the 'gimmick fighting game' ship had sailed a decade earlier. And if you're going to do fan service as a selling point, don't redesign all the characters until they're unrecognisable.

What's most hilarious is the reason we got a fighting game was because the idea that a more traditional game with motion controls would get tiring after a few minutes.

So they instead made a fighter, with motion controls, that gets tiring after a few minutes.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
What's most hilarious is the reason we got a fighting game was because the idea that a more traditional game with motion controls would get tiring after a few minutes.

So they instead made a fighter, with motion controls, that gets tiring after a few minutes.

And as a party fighter... it's really not that bad as long as you ignore the motion controls that were apparently a major reason for even making the game in the first place.

Full disclosure, I'm a huge fighting game fan, and the idea of a Castlevania fighting game definitely interested me (though I'm not sure I could really say I wanted one).

But yeah, the Death Note guy's character redesign really painted over one of the only things that would be a major selling point to Castlevania fans.

The whole release was just really weird. I was always baffled as to why Iga was so gung-ho about it.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree. I found the sweetspot with CV64 years later and have played it start to finish several times but I would never argue it's better than LoS.

It's a shame we never got a true generational sequel to LoS that expanded on what they had while adding in design elements from this gen's best.

Agree to disagree? LoS definitely had better production values, but I felt that CV64 was a better representation of the "soul" of the early Castlevania games. I thought LoS was good in it's own right (even if it lagged in parts and overstayed its welcome a bit), but it felt nothing like the Castlevania world I grew up with and loved.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The hate for Igarashi in this topic is pathetic... can you guys keep it inside your messed heads and focus on the topic at all?

I'm expecting a compilation. I have no confidence in Konami to release something with quality these days... unless they outsource the series again. M2 would be freaking great, hopefully with a bigger budget.

I also wouldn't mind another reboot of the series... or a remake of a beloved title in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
Every game since Order of Ecclesia has been utter trash so I have no interest in what Konami does with this (or any of their) series currently.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do you guys honestly believe that Konami is going to license out a Castlevania game to someone instead of making another Pachinko machine, or whatever costs them the least money? Konami?

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to play these games. I adore Metroid games, but for some reason Castlevania always avoided me. Where's the best place to start? Thinking the classics as I'll wanna know more about Simon after his inclusion in Smash. It just seems like there's so many Castlevania games....

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to play these games. I adore Metroid games, but for some reason Castlevania always avoided me. Where's the best place to start? Thinking the classics as I'll wanna know more about Simon after his inclusion in Smash. It just seems like there's so many Castlevania games....
Start with Super Castlevania IV. Its available on VC for WiiU and on the SNES Classic. For me its the best representation of the old school classics without it being frustraitingly difficult like CV3 or Rondo of Blood. If you like it go back to the OG Castlevania for NES.

I'd say the essentials of the Classicvanias are as follows:
SCIV for SNES
CV1 for NES
Rondo of Blood for TG16 (available on the PSP remake thats playable on Vita too and on WiiU VC)
CV Bloodlines for Genesis (sadly this is the only classic console game that your only option in 2018 is to emulate it or buy a second hand cart and play it on a Genesis)
CV3 on NES

By no means should you ever try to play CV2 on NES or Dracula X on SNES. They're unplayable to me for today's standards.

Of the Metroidvanias you should start with Symphony of the Night, of course. Its available for PS1 (playable on PS2 and PS3), for PSN digital download playable on PS3, PSP, and Vita, its also an unlockable on the PSP remake of Rondo of Blood (playable on Vita too) called Dracula X Chronicles, and on Xbox 360 as an XBLA title, not sure if its backwards compatible with XB1.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I think it'll happen at some point, but honestly, all I want from Konami is a collection. Bloodstained is a thing now, which is enough for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I would love it if we got just another 2D attempt at the series but at the same time, I'm kind of content with Simon in Smash and just replaying the classics that I know hold up.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys honestly believe that Konami is going to license out a Castlevania game to someone instead of making another Pachinko machine, or whatever costs them the least money? Konami?

No company is going to license it, they'll publish it.

And Pachinko has nothing to do with Konami gaming division. They're doing Castlevania mobile there. lol

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Start with Super Castlevania IV. Its available on VC for WiiU and on the SNES Classic. For me its the best representation of the old school classics without it being frustraitingly difficult like CV3 or Rondo of Blood. If you like it go back to the OG Castlevania for NES.

I'd say the essentials of the Classicvanias are as follows:
SCIV for SNES
CV1 for NES
Rondo of Blood for TG16 (available on the PSP remake thats playable on Vita too and on WiiU VC)
CV Bloodlines for Genesis (sadly this is the only classic console game that your only option in 2018 is to emulate it or buy a second hand cart and play it on a Genesis)
CV3 on NES

By no means should you ever try to play CV2 on NES or Dracula X on SNES. They're unplayable to me for today's standards.

Of the Metroidvanias you should start with Symphony of the Night, of course. Its available for PS1 (playable on PS2 and PS3), for PSN digital download playable on PS3, PSP, and Vita, its also an unlockable on the PSP remake of Rondo of Blood (playable on Vita too) called Dracula X Chronicles, and on Xbox 360 as an XBLA title, not sure if its backwards compatible with XB1.

Thank you! So they didn't really start becoming Metroidvanias until Symphony of the Night? I'm guessing before that they were more just action adventure games, including Super Castlevania? Interesting. And everything after SoTN is a Metroidvania I assume generally?

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
As much as I want a collection and that in theory it can't be that difficult to compile a bunch of ROMs and emulators, can we trust Konami? Look at Silent Hill HD! They lost the source code so had to work with a beta version of the games.
I like somebody's suggestion of getting M2 involved. Maybe get Mercurysteam back for a Metroidvania considering that Samus Returns was a really good game.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! So they didn't really start becoming Metroidvanias until Symphony of the Night? I'm guessing before that they were more just action adventure games, including Super Castlevania? Interesting. And everything after SoTN is a Metroidvania I assume generally?
You assume right (mostly).

Every CV game before SOTN on PS1 was a linear action platformer game where you'd beat levels until you'd get to Dracula at the end (CV2 might be the exception but you're not playing that piece of shit anyway are you). After SOTN every 2D Castlevania after that became a Metroidvania but relegated to GBA and DS only while the 3D Vanias on N64 and PS2 continued to experiment with mediocre results.

The rest of games after SOTN that are not Metroidvanias are either spin offs (CV Harmony of Despair), remakes (Dracula X Chronicles, The Adventure Rebirth) or just plain trash (Judgement).

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night is the first game Igarashi (SOTN's co-director) is working on since he exited Konami. The last Castlevania he worked on was Order of Ecclesia for DS in 2008. Bloodstained is also the first time he's working on a Metroidvania for home consoles since SOTN on PS1 in 1997!

The Lords of Shadow trilogy are a separate entity altogether where only the first one is genuinely good so I wouldnt recommend getting involved with that series with maybe the exception of the first one on PS3/360/PC.

Last edited:

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I would love a new 2D Castlevania, but after I've rewatched the Smash entry several times I've come to the conclusion that a 3D Castlevania could be excellent as well if handled properly. Would love to get both, along with a Castlevania Collection over the next couple of years.