• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
Hagihara did Rondo and Symphony. Akamatsu did the classic games (1, 2, 3), but he's probably retired by now. I forget who did IV.
If memory serves me correctly, 4 was done by a very inexperienced team with little time.

Edit: not only did this small team of inexperienced developers succeed big time, they then went on to form Treasure.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
How were the PSOne Classics version of SOTN and the Wii VC version of Rondo superior?
Worse image quality in the PSP versions, they're blurry and bordered. I also think the new script/voices on SOTN are a strike against it but ymmv there.

Maria's neat in SOTN but she was also better in the Saturn version imo. Also you have to unlock both games by playing the garbo Rondo remake.

On the plus side for PSP I think they had bugfixes (although this could be minus if you like glitches like going outside the castle), they're almost widescreen without stretching and SOTN removed any slowdown. They're not really awful or anything but the emulated originals are still better imo.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
yeah, i hope so too...with Simon Belmont announced for Smash there has to be something in the works...or maybe we get a Classicvania and a Metroidvania collection finally?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm betting on the rumors of a New game and collection of the older titles to be 95% right and to be announced at gamescom or close to when the anime hits.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I want the Castlevania equivalent of what Metroid Prime was to Super Metroid.

As much as I love the classics, another 2D retro-fest isn't really what I'd be interested in at this point. Give us a good, real deal 3D Castlevania for once. I'd like this series, like many other classic franchises, to regain some sort of 'leader' quality instead of always limping behind.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I hope there's a new [non-mobile] Castlevania game in the works, but I have a feeling that the Smash Bros. thing is just something that Konami can put little or no effort into while making some money (presumably). If Konami doesn't feel like having a new Castlevania game developed, though, then I'd settle for re-releases of the originals. Also, Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth really needs to be re-released, as it's a great game that I really hope isn't limited solely to the Wii eShop (especially since you can't add eShop points anymore).

That said, what would make the most sense to me is a remake of Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse that more closely follows the events of the Netflix series. I'd actually prefer for them to take another shot at updating SotN and not half-assing the new content this time.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I feel the same way, OP. I have a feeling a Mega Man or Sonic Mania style Castlevania game is coming.

With Simon and Alucard in Smash, and the Netflix show's thumbnail changed to NES Castlevania (and Season 2 underway), AND the success of 2D games, AND Bloodstained getting hyped, I bet it'll happen end of this year or mid next year.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Worse image quality in the PSP versions, they're blurry and bordered. I also think the new script/voices on SOTN are a strike against it but ymmv there.

Maria's neat in SOTN but she was also better in the Saturn version imo. Also you have to unlock both games by playing the garbo Rondo remake.

On the plus side for PSP I think they had bugfixes (although this could be minus if you like glitches like going outside the castle), they're almost widescreen without stretching and SOTN removed any slowdown. They're not really awful or anything but the emulated originals are still better imo.

Yeah, I didn't find the new script/voices on SOTN a strike against it at all, and it was cool to be able to play Maria without having to deal with shitty load times and slowdown (though I agree, she is more fun to play in the Saturn version), plus they added the Sprite and Nose Goblin back in. Personally I thought the Dracula X version looked fine as well, at least no worse than playing the PSOne classics version on the PSP screen.

All I remember about Dracula X Rondo were some sound issues, but IIRC the Wii VC release had sound issues as well (though I think they were different sound issues). Also, the PSP version is the only way to play Rondo in English.

I liked the Rondo remake.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Castelvaria rumored as a Switch game last year? Something similar to Bomberman R.

Both a Castlevania R/Classicvania game, and another Castlevania project of some kind, have been rumored for the Switch. It wouldn't surprise me to see a revival for both styles of 2D games in the series, Switch exclusive or not.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh see I had no idea that was possible. All i know is the guy who made SOTN etc is no longer there, right? Sure, if outsourcing would lead to a good game then that's cool too

Koji Igarashi works at ArtPlay and is doing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

People at GoodFeel also worked on Castlevania, particularly 64, Legacy of Darkness, and Circle of the Moon.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about the Warren Ellis show is that it was in the works for awhile and Frederator had the rights for a long time and only now was it released in some capacity. I don't think Konami in Japan really cares and what they do with series will have nothing to do with the Netflix show. I think if there is something in the works it's because Bloodstained was a massive success on Kickstarter and they want the series they own to be associated with them and not Iga, sort of why Capcom is making Mega Man 11.

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
They really should get somebody to make a Classicvania. I know Iga just made one, but don't even try to compete with a SOTNlike and chill on the 3D GOW titles too.

Make a game in the vein of Castlevania 3 or Bloodlines or Rondo of Blood.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest problem with the sotn compilation on psp is the lagging of the psp screen. Obviously that can be corrected now, but it was an issue at the time. The remake is very low budget but I think it plays very faithfully.

A 3D game in the style of 64 would be incredible. But I know that is not in the cards.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if they did a reboot based off of the Netflix series with Trevor as MC.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Koji Igarashi works at ArtPlay and is doing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

People at GoodFeel also worked on Castlevania, particularly 64, Legacy of Darkness, and Circle of the Moon.
There's a bunch of competent teams that Konami could contract to make a new game in the series; of the three credited directors on Adventure ReBirth for example only Minakata from what I can tell had involvement with the series prior to that and that game is fine (could've been even better with a budget/no size restrictions).

They could even have Treasure make a new one, Konami did contract them for Gradius V before.

The thing about the Warren Ellis show is that it was in the works for awhile and Frederator had the rights for a long time and only now was it released in some capacity. I don't think Konami in Japan really cares and what they do with series will have nothing to do with the series. I think if there is something in the works it's because Bloodstained was a massive success on Kickstarter and they want the series they own to be associated with them and not Iga, sort of why Capcom is making Mega Man 11.
A project ten years in the :o.

Last edited:

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
You're definitely not alone. That sounds awesome! I have a huge fondness for Castlevania II. It's got issues, but it's also got a really cool atmosphere to it. I'd love to see a remake/re-imagining of Simon's Quest.

I'm probably alone in wishing for a remake/re-imagining of Castlevania 64 though.
Wow, you are not alone! I just posted this! I would love that.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think the rumor was one collection for all consoles, one new game (in the vein of Bomberman/Track and Field R) exclusive to Switch.

No, the rumor never stated anything like Bomberman R.

The rumor just said a Collection with SotN leading the pack, and a new game. And one of those games might be Switch exclusive.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I'd just take a 2D Castlevania collection.

The series has tons of material to work with little effort required.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Igarashi didn't make SoTN, Toru Hagihara did.

Yup. People think SotN was his brainchild, but he was an assistant director (still a high rank though). People forget that after 1997's SotN, there wasn't another "Metroidvania" until 2001 with Circle of the Moon on the GBA. And it wasn't even done by Konami's main office (where Igarashi was), but the Kobe one that usually did lower-tier games.

After CotM's success, I guess Igarashi decided to make a new CV with Harmony of the Dissonance, and from there, he stuck around as the leader of the series.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Igarashi didn't make SoTN, Toru Hagihara did.

I was focused on naming people in game development. Hagihara seemingly left the industry after SotN, even if he and IGA essentially scoped the vision they had for the whole series after that game.

Fun Fact: the 1999 Demon Castle War was Hagihara's idea during SotN's marketing to the public, and alluded to this event in interviews.

Oct 27, 2017
My sources tell me the long awaited castelvania 64 hd remaster will be making its debut at TGS.

No lie, as bad as that game is, I'll never forget opening the big gates at the beginning and the giant skeleton roaring at me. And the hedge maze with the guy with a chainsaw chasing you.

The game had really cool moments let down by some terrible game design

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A new Castlevania is definitely in the making. Too much smoke for there to not be a fire.

Celestine

Oct 31, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Give me a new game that plays like SoTN with better graphics and has music like Super Castlevania IV and I'll throw money at it with a shovel.

Oct 27, 2017
I would be happy with a SotN port. I would love a collection of the gba/ds castlevania games though. Those are easily my favorites!

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's a classic style game. 0 representation next to endless seas of Metroidvanias.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
After CotM's success, I guess Igarashi decided to make a new CV with Harmony of the Dissonance, and from there, he stuck around as the leader of the series.
KCE Kobe was absorbed back into KCE Osaka during the end of COTM's development. I think it and Konami Krazy Racers were the last games developed by the studio. Igarashi was developing Chronicles concurrently but always planned go return to the SOTN template. I think the only real difference was he moved to Nintendo platforms too in Kobe's absence.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give me a new game that plays like SoTN with better graphics and has music like Super Castlevania IV and I'll throw money at it with a shovel.
It's not exactly like that but you do know Iga has a new Metroidvania that plays like SotN and has music by Michiru Yamane that's coming out later this year, right?

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
KCE Kobe was absorbed back into KCE Osaka during the end of COTM's development. I think it and Konami Krazy Racers were the last games developed by the studio. Igarashi was developing Chronicles concurrently but always planned go return to the SOTN template. I think the only real difference was he moved to Nintendo platforms too in Kobe's absence.

Yeah, I dunno how true it all is, but I remember reading stuff that said that there was a bit of drama behind that absorption and Kobe branch being dissolved.

At the very least, I remember there was criticism about how after IGA took over, it more or less forced Castlevania to fit his vision and have a strict timeline, instead of the "rotating door" of previous years that enabled the series to try different things with different teams among various games. Then Umezaki, Ebisu and a number of other Kobe ex-pats abandoned Konami and formed Good-Feel in 2005.

I really would love to know the entire story.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I want them to rip off the new God of War like Lords of Shadow ripped off the original God of War. Dead serious.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love another Castlevania, in fact even a Castlevania compilation would be great, I'd eat that shit up.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch it be Castlevania Harmony of Despair 2.

Which I wouldn't mind actually, what with Bloodstained coming out.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I dunno how true it all is, but I remember reading stuff that said that there was a bit of drama behind that absorption and Kobe branch being dissolved.

At the very least, I remember there was criticism about how after IGA took over, it more or less forced Castlevania to fit his vision and have a strict timeline, instead of the "rotating door" of previous years that enabled the series to try different things with different teams among various games. Then Umezaki, Ebisu and a number of other Kobe ex-pats abandoned Konami and formed Good-Feel in 2005.

I really would love to know the entire story.
Konami's dev structure from about 95-05 was honestly a mess. Like a dozen studios spread across Japan (and Hawaii!), forming, expanding, splitting off, reorganizing, merging and closing constantly. If you try to flowchart it's like a spiderweb! I'd read a book on it, I'm sure it was nuts.