• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
You're doing a great thing OP.

Take care of yourself, talk to the nurses about your anxiety. They will help talk you through it.

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
I donated a few years ago via self injection and it was really no problem. The little bit of pain was nothing for a chance to save a life. Unfortunately the receiving person didn't survive but I would do it anytime again

Oct 30, 2017
I've been on the donor list since October. Be the Match actually sent me an email this week asking if I wanted to recommit for another year. You're saving a life, OP. Good on you for (hopefully) pulling through.

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is an inspiring thread. Interested to see how it turns out. As for me, I'm going to sign up for this, I think; wasn't aware it was a thing.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Good luck, OP! You're doing a great thing!

I donated blood yesterday, for the first time in several months to almost a year (my card said February, but my card also said 15 donations while they said their computer said 16). I got denied, then had to take a break, because I had low hemoglobin. My doctor gave me iron pills and said to take some time off from it, then I was sick when my next appointment came up.

It felt good. I was worried I'd be too low again, or that they'd have trouble finding my small vein. Apparently I'm a difficult case because of the way my veins are.

I wish I could donate more. Also saw the bone marrow/stem cell registry ad on the pamphlet they made me read. I signed up several years ago and did the swab, but never have gotten a call. I wish I would match with and be able to help someone.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I signed up a couple of years ago through BeTheMatch, haven't been called (yet).

The reason I signed up is because I've worked with a number of kids who had leukemia and received bone marrow transplants, and yeah, you're literally saving someone's life. Good on you OP, best of luck with the procedure!

Last edited:

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Signed up a few years ago and got called once, wasn't a proper match after the blood test. Good on you, OP. You're saving a life. Pain is temporary, and chicks dig empathetic dudes.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
God speed dude, just know that you're potentially saving another human's life. I signed on the register last time I gave a regular blood donation.

Lots of respect for that. You da real MVP.

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OP, you have steam?, hit me up with your username, and il get you something from your wishlist, you deserve it.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I got selected days after getting on the list years ago but after testing and being picked as a match they had to decline with only a list of possible reasons. I've been waiting to get picked again but no luck yet.

Congrats! I'm sure it'll be fine. At the Red Cross they talked about a donor of theirs that has been selected something like 4-5 times and I always wish I could help that much. Oh well.

Oct 27, 2017
I got a bone marrow biopsy back when I had cancer but I was under general anesthesia when I got it done. They use a big needle and insert into your lower back/pelvic bone and it apparently hurts like hell. I do know my lower back was in pain for a few days, felt like somebody whacked me with a baseball bat as hard as they could.

You should do it, though. The amount of kids I saw in the hospital when I was in that needed bone marrow transplants, you could be responsible for saving one of them.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
you're going to save someone's life - what an honor and an amazing thing to be part of.

My girlfriend's father died of Leukemia - we're all in the registration hoping to be called to help people out. He wasn't lucky, but we want to be ready for other people.

Good on you OP!

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
This. So much this!!

You are getting the ultimate privilege, saving someones life!

For the USA see below. Outside USA I don't know.

https://bethematch.org/
https://www.abmdr.org.au/ Australian bone marrow donor registry

Big thanks to all the bone marrow donors and blood donors out there. I never found a full match but I'm lucky to have a couple of other treatment options at the moment (half match or other drugs). I was trying to figure out how many blood/platelet transfusions I have had with my nurse and it's definitely more than 50 so i feel deeply indebted to the donors out there. Ii have such a big regret I'll never be able to donate myself if I get healthy again but I'm sure I'll find another way to pay it back

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Let us know how painful it is, please. I'm curious. I've heard the bone marrow part has some pain and awkward feeling to it, but would still do it.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
OP not only are you potentially about to save a life but it seems like some in this thread are just learning about this and now looking to volunteer also. You deserve a high five 🙌

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I actually donated last summer via Filgrastim injection. The hardest part was actually sitting still during the procedure as the marrow was being withdrawn.

My process took a little over 3 hours (which is below average) and the amount needed depends on the recipient (i.e. the smaller the recipient, the smaller the amount needed).

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
You have no idea how absolutely fucking proud I am of you, OP. I have been on their registry for a while and have yet to be called. If I were called, I would do that in a heartbeat, as temporary pain in exchange for potentially saving someone's life is beyond worth it.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
I got a bone marrow biopsy back when I had cancer but I was under general anesthesia when I got it done. They use a big needle and insert into your lower back/pelvic bone and it apparently hurts like hell. I do know my lower back was in pain for a few days, felt like somebody whacked me with a baseball bat as hard as they could.

You should do it, though. The amount of kids I saw in the hospital when I was in that needed bone marrow transplants, you could be responsible for saving one of them.

I had mine taken from my hip/femur and it really wasn't bad at all. Granted I do have a pretty high pain tolerance, but it was more of a minor annoyance than anything else.

Everyone should be a potential donor as it really does save lives.

Nicely done OP

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just signed up to donate stem cells in Canada. Thanks to your thread op. Still gotta go through the whole process but I was spurred reading through your posts and other's.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Good on you man, this is honestly one of the best things anyone can ever do. My uncle is fighting leukemia right now, chemo isn't fucking working at all and he most likely needs a transplant. My mother (his sister) and my other uncle have just done the tests to see if they're compatible and we're hoping for the best but he's disappearing day by day.

Props man, I hope you save that person's life.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So when they said the patient was ready yesterday... today they told me that means ready in March or April so nothing to do yet

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
I had marrow taken for a test, it was interesting. Bent over a Doc table with a Doc pushing a T shaped long needle into my hip bone with a ton of force. They numb you so it was just weird. The moment they took the marrow was the oddest feeling. Like your toes are being pulled out your back via your insides.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
So how does this work? Do they draw blood and put your info in the system for possible matches?

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Good on you OP.

I was called two months ago as a possible match.

The chances that you ever are contacted as a potential match is about 1 out of 40. I was excited that I can possibly save someone's life. After a few tests, I found out I was the best match. They told me what the recipient was going through. Which spending one day of vacation and about a week of pain is nowhere near as bad as chemo or the emotional stress her and her family go through.

Update - My match was ready two months after all my tests. Unfortunately my tests expired so they had to do all the blood tests again.

She received my marrow in July and she's still alive. I'm grateful since her chances were 1 out of 10 with her age and condition. It hasn't been a year yet, so it's probably too early to celebrate. But the donation probably extended her life.

OP, hopefully your match accepts your cells and recovers. Btw, when you're done they give you a gift.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So how does this work? Do they draw blood and put your info in the system for possible matches?

I swabbed the inside of my cheeks with q-tips and mailed it back. They leave it in the system and if your cells are close to someone in need, they'll reach out to you for further tests.