Woody

Mar 5, 2018
Hahahaha...threads like these are why I love ERA. First thing that came to mind was the article posted on the first page about the couple that lost everything 2 days in to their voyage.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Here's a second cost break down

• Boat: $30,000 upwards. Most cruisers who are planning circumnavigation or offshore cruising will buy a boat that is considerably more expensive than this. We would recommend that if you're buying used, it's best to buy a boat that is already kitted out.
  • Monthly budget for 2 people in the Caribbean and Europe: $3000
  • Slush fund: as much as you can afford! We would recommend at least $5000 in savings to deal with any unforeseen circumstances. The older the boat, the more you may need in repairs, maintenance & equipment.
  • Equipment: we've spent about $20,000 on equipment purely designed for offshore and trade wind passage making. Therefore, if you are planning to limit your cruising to a cruising ground such as the Caribbean, you may not need any of these items. They include: Parasailor, SSB radio, hydrovane, Watt and Sea hydrogenerator, wind generator, solar panels, Yellow Brick tracker, laptop for receiving GRIB files at sea (Mac Books are not compatible), flares, and spare parts. This doesn't include 'basics' such as autopilot, AIS, life-raft, EPIRB, sat phone, and code zero sail, fishing rods and lures, BBQ, cool box, etc.
$30,000 boat (cheap end)
$3000 x 12 budget = $36,000
$20,000 equipment
$5000 (low end estimate) for repairs

$91,000 without unforeseen costs, with a cheap boat, with low reserve fun and without any cost of anchorage

This sounds more what I was thinking. You could probably get that initial cost to the 20k range for the boat with a used 30 something catalina or hunter. Could maybe get by with a bit less for the deep blue kitting too but otherwise what I was expecting. Also wasn't expecting OP to solo sail. That length of time solo is askin for some trouble. My plan for even trans Pacific was going to be my wife and I. Also the port fees you left out are more hefty than one would think over the course of a year. Also probably wouldn't do it with less than 300 days at sea under my belt.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I know someone who is doing this with his wife. It takes a lot of planning, good bit of money and need a fair amount of open water sailing experience.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
You need to be ready, my friend. I've had some sailing experience, mostly around New England but with one trip from Maui to Oahu, and you just have to be ready, you have to be knowledgeable, you have to be nimble, and you have to trust your boat. Know exactly what to do when the weather turns south, and know not to panic when it gets choppy. Know what to do if your equipment or your rigging starts failing. I have been on the Pacific in the middle of the night with huge swells and nothing in sight with a torn mainsail, you just have to be ready for everything

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Morbid question op, but you're doing something super difficult that probably carries more than a 25% chance of not making it back alive. Are you alright with the chance you may leave a wife and 10 year old behind forever?

OP
OP

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So my wife and child (as well as my 20 year old stepson) will meet me at least twice over the course of the journey at various ports. I will be more than fine on the trip with ample help at all points. My wife is fully supportive and I will be faithful as I have no desire to cheat on my her.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's quite a dream.

I wish I had dreams.

Side note. I couldn't leave my daughter for that long.

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Dont forget to get visas for the countries you will be passing by - you might need to stop somewhere in case of emergency.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally what he's doing.

No it's not. You have no idea what relationship he has with his wife so calling it abandoning is judgemental and condescending.

If this is cool with his wife who are you to judge him the way you are? Kids adapt you know? Parents do leave home for long periods of time sometimes.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
If I were you I'd wait till a year or so after your kid graduates college. But if your family is OK with it then you do you.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
No it's not. You have no idea what relationship he has with his wife so calling it abandoning is judgemental and condescending.

If this is cool with his wife who are you to judge him the way you are? Kids adapt you know? Parents do leave home for long periods of time sometimes.

You have a kid?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Dude... you literally said it's all good to leave your kid behind for years because they'll adapt.

The nonsense is long past the trying stage.

Which oven the right context? Sure. It really parents agree who are you to judge?

Parents go away all the time. Soldiers, explorers, actors. People who chose specific careeers or endeavours despite having kids.

Stop being so ridiculously judgemental.

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
Do it!!

My oldest brother has "only" a 35 foot sail boat that he bought on Lake Superior and he and his SO spend a long time sailing around there. He got his captains license (license?) and replaced/rebuilt a crap ton of mechanical issues, but, this summer they sold their house in Minneapolis (well, St. Paul) and set sail through the Great Lakes on their way to the Caribbean. They just got hit by that winter strom in New Jersey though, so they have a ways to go. Got a little delayed.

He is working remotely and I'm not sure what she is doing. I don't think I have seen them happier though.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
Which oven the right context? Sure. It really parents agree who are you to judge?

Parents go away all the time. Soldiers, explorers, actors. People who chose specific careeers or endeavours despite having kids.

Stop being so ridiculous judgemental.

Key word is "career." Even that has its price I imagine. But this is masturbatory bullshit.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It seems to me that there's a huge difference, however, in a father bailing on his kid because he's in the Army and has to do so or because he works in the oil industry and has to go overseas for a few months to provide for the family vs. someone who chooses to leave just because they want to. It's putting one's own wants above what's good for the kid. Depriving a kid of a parent for a year without a really compelling reason to do so is not something I could imagine doing to my kid.
If I were a kid I'd be much more understanding of "daddy has to go away for a year, but wishes he didn't" vs. "daddy left because there was something he wanted to do for fun", which by definition means that whatever daddy is doing is valued more highly than being with the child. The wife has the power to decide if that's OK with her or not. A young child can't really make that decision, so while I don't think I'd use the term "abandon" in relation to the wife I do think it's the right word to describe leaving a young child behind just to chase a hobby/personal goal that could be done a bit later when the kid is grown.
Parenting isn't a part time job that people can just opt out of for a year on a whim.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
this sounds crazy specifically with young kid. and yes ocean is scary

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me that there's a huge difference, however, in a father bailing on his kid because he's in the Army and has to do so or because he works in the oil industry and has to go overseas for a few months to provide for the family vs. someone who chooses to leave just because they want to. It's putting one's own wants above what's good for the kid. Depriving a kid of a parent for a year without a really compelling reason to do so is not something I could imagine doing to my kid.
If I were a kid I'd be much more understanding of "daddy has to go away for a year, but wishes he didn't" vs. "daddy left because there was something he wanted to do for fun", which by definition means that whatever daddy is doing is valued more highly than being with the child. The wife has the power to decide if that's OK with her or not. A young child can't really make that decision, so while I don't think I'd use the term "abandon" in relation to the wife I do think it's the right word to describe leaving a young child behind just to chase a hobby/personal goal that could be done a bit later when the kid is grown.
Parenting isn't a part time job that people can just opt out of for a year on a whim.

Key word is "career." Even that has its price I imagine. But this is masturbatory bullshit.

Or "endeaver".
Plenty of people take up endeavours that take them away from their families that are not necessary. And do so with other parents consenting and the child not being damaged by it.

I bet y'all could think of a few...

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe OP should practice sailing up and down a coast for a few days before committing to around the world.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not to be condescending but your trip heavily depends on society since you aren't building the boat yourself and presumably will purchase all the supplies from others in society with money that you got from working in a ... Society.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Stop being so ridiculously judgemental.

Nah I'm good.

I have no time for parents who put flights (on in this case sails) of fancy ahead of being a parent....

We're talking a several years absence to no benefit (financial or otherwise) to his daughter on top of what could be a 5 to 6 figure spending.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Or "endeaver".
Plenty of people take up endeavours that take them away from their families that are not necessary.

I bet y'all could think of a few...
Someone that bails on a young kid to backpack across the country, climb Everest, sail around the world or neglects their kid to play World of Warcraft for 19 hours a day is equally abandoning their kid and in each case I'd have the same advice - if that's what you want to do with your life then that's great, but you should have done it before having a child or after the child is old enough that it won't be so harmful to him/her. To do otherwise is putting one's own needs way above a child's, which seems to me to be bad parenting and horrifically unfair to the child.