astro

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I'm good.

I have no time for parents who put flights (on in this case sails) of fancy ahead of being a parent....

We're talking a several years absence to no benefit (financial or otherwise) to his daughter on top of what could be a 5 to 6 figure spending.

Na, you're judgemental as hell and likely projecting. No need for it at all, you have no way of knowing the relationships their family has.

You also have no right to judge them for spending their money as they wish. If the wife agrees and it's not putting them in hardship who are you to say how they should spend it?

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
There is a gulf of difference between liking and wanting to do something vs having a burning passion/desire. Most people will never feel passionate enough about something enough to throw all caution to the wind, abandon all comforts, and press ahead despite all odds and logic. People who actually do this are a special breed, and honestly, I feel they are the very best of us. I live vicariously through their passions and it fills me with hope and comfort knowing there are people like that in the world.
This, it takes courage follow your passion and people who can't see beyond their role as a cog in society make it their mission to grind those who do down to dust.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Na, you're judgemental as hell and likely projecting. No need for it at all, you have no way of knowing this person and the relationships their families have.

What percentage of 5 year old children do you think look forward to hearing about how daddy is choosing to leave, for a full year, on a whim for years and then have it happen while they're still young and very much need their parents? I suspect that the percentage of kids that would be OK with that would be quite small.
If he were married without kids and his wife were cool with it then why not? Having a child, IMO, changes the situation massively.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Na, you're judgemental as hell and likely projecting. No need for it at all, you have no way of knowing this person and the relationships their families have.

My rule of thumb is every thread is the version most beneficial to the person telling it, if even in their best version I can see the bullshit, it's probably actually way worse.

And likely projecting ha ha ha... now who's judgmental as hell, my parents would never have dreamt of leaving each other and me for years on end. I had incredibly supportive and loving parents, who I'd not be here without, that is in fact why I know how important a family unit is.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What percentage of 5 year old children do you think look forward to hearing about how daddy is choosing to leave, for a full year, on a whim for years and then have it happen while they're still young and very much need their parents? I suspect that the percentage of kids that would be OK with that would be quite small.
If he were married without kids and his wife were cool with it then why not? Having a child, IMO, changes the situation massively.

And plenty of people choose careers or take jobs or go in endeavours such as exploration etc.. while having kids.

You might not ever wish to do that, but there's no need to judge others for it. Kids do adapt, and if the parents have agreed to this and have the finances etc... that's their call.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Man I was looking do a a few months or a year long trip cycling across the US but between finally getting a good job and a dog I couldn't bare to leave behind and would be too expensive to take him with me I dropped it. A wife and kid though, bold move Cotton.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This, it takes courage follow your passion and people who can't see beyond their role as a cog in society make it their mission to grind those who do down to dust.

Jesus Christ, it doesn't take courage to just abandon all your responsibilities as a father and spend 5 to 6 figures to facilitate doing so

And living up to the responsibility's of being a parent is not being a cog in society.

There is a serious danger of over romanticizing the "free spirit" and you're doing here

This thread is complete different if he doesn't have a kid.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
My rule of thumb is every thread is the version most beneficial to the person telling it, if even in their best version I can see the bullshit, it's probably actually way worse.

And likely projecting ha ha ha... now who's judgmental as hell, my parents would never have dreamt of leaving each other and me for years on end. I had incredibly supportive and loving parents, who I'd not be here without, that is in fact why I know how important a family unit is.
Jesus Christ, it doesn't take courage to just abandon all your responsibilities as a father and spend 5 to 6 figures to facilitate doing so

And living up to the responsibility's of being a parent is not being a cog in society.

There is a serious danger of over romanticizing the "free spirit" and you're doing here

This thread is complete different if he doesn't have a kid.

You're really quite condescending.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And plenty of people choose careers or take jobs or go in endeavours such as exploration etc.. while having kids.

You might not ever wish to do that, but there's no need to judge others for it. Kids do adapt, and if the parents have agreed to this and have the finances etc... that's their call.

For work that's understandable and quite different from chasing a dream. Most of us have to make sacrifices to make money to provide for our families. I sometimes work from home and have to focus on work rather than playing with my daughter when she wants to. It sucks, but that's something that I have to do to provide for her.

Choosing to leave on a whim, when it's absolutely not necessary and can be done when the child is older is a choice, not a necessity. The Oceans aren't going away in the extra ~8 years or so for the child to become an adult.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
My plan has been put on hold several times mostly to life obligations. I met my future wife, got married and had a kid

I still want to know what his future wife thinks about him getting married and having a kid. When will his future wife be his actual wife? After he circumnavigates the world? After he divorces his actual wife?

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Have you actually done any sailing before? I am asking as someone who has done quite a lot of sailing.
Just so I have some context how dangerous is it to sail across the Atlantic by yourself if you've never done it before? How likely would death be in that scenario? Because it seems pretty dangerous to me as someone who knows nothing about sailing.

Oct 25, 2017
Na, you're judgemental as hell and likely projecting. No need for it at all, you have no way of knowing the relationships their family has.

You also have no right to judge them for spending their money as they wish. If the wife agrees and it's not putting them in hardship who are you to say how they should spend it?

Random observation: It's weird that you keep telling people that they can't be judgemental yet you have no means of actually stopping them from being judgemental.

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
damn so you're just gonna leave your wife and kid behind to enjoy lobster and sunsets? you realize how difficult it is to be a single parent, right? that's what you'll be putting your wife through. even your fuckin friends, who know you better than anyone in this thread, are telling you it's crazy and a bad idea. when you become a parent sometimes you have to put some dreams on hold and it sucks, but that's the responsibility of being a parent. christ.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Just so I have some context how dangerous is it to sail across the Atlantic by yourself if you've never done it before? How likely would death be in that scenario? Because it seems pretty dangerous to me as someone who knows nothing about sailing.

Plenty dangerous but can be done. One of my favorite sailing stories is Kenichi Horie. 23 year old Japanese kid just decides to cross the Pacific solo. He does so in a 19 ft sailboat solo and it takes him 90 days. He gets arrested in San Ftancisco because everyone is confused but gets released and given the key to the city. You can see his boat for free at the maritime museum here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenichi_Horie

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey MrPressStart , id love to join you, at least for part of the time. I'd help out of course but I'd also love to document the journey with still photography and video. I can even come multiple times wherever you are over the next 5 years to start documenting the preparation and whatnot. PM me if any of that sounds interesting to you. Good luck.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
For work that's understandable and quite different from chasing a dream. Most of us have to make sacrifices to make money to provide for our families. I sometimes work from home and have to focus on work rather than playing with my daughter when she wants to. It sucks, but that's something that I have to do to provide for her.

Choosing to leave on a whim, when it's absolutely not necessary and can be done when the child is older is a choice, not a necessity. The Oceans aren't going away in the extra ~8 years or so for the child to become an adult.

You could even argue there will be more Ocean in the future >_>

Feb 10, 2018
You know OP many sailors throughout history have witnessed many unexplained things.
From abnormal sea creatures to time paradoxes.

Sail through the bermuda triangle, I hope you see some cool shit.

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
I'm with you, it's always been something I've wanted to do. If you have the means and determination go for it.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I have to admire your commitment to your dreams and passions. Godspeed my guy, hope you can make it happen.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So for as long as I can remember, its been a life long dream of mine to own a sailboat and sail it around the world. My plan has been put on hold several times mostly to life obligations. I met my future wife, got married and had a kid. Needless to say (esp. with a newborn) my boat savings have taken many hits over the years.

The last several months have seen things start to settle down a bit and my passion for getting on the water is greater than ever...

So, I have begun seriously looking at boats. My plan is to buy him/ her over the next 6-8 months and use the next 4 years to fix her up and do any upgrades or repairs I need to. Five years is my goal to be finished with the boat and ready to sail. My wife is ok with the trip as it is something that will be well planned. My hope is that this trip will show her that we can live a life on the water with little dependence on society.

My friends think I am a bit crazy as the idea of the ocean scares them but I feel my true calling is being on the water. Anybody else have any wild dreams they are chasing?

How do you plan to mitigate concerns about piracy around the Eastern African coast?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
So for as long as I can remember, its been a life long dream of mine to own a sailboat and sail it around the world. My plan has been put on hold several times mostly to life obligations. I met my future wife, got married and had a kid. Needless to say (esp. with a newborn) my boat savings have taken many hits over the years.

The last several months have seen things start to settle down a bit and my passion for getting on the water is greater than ever...

So, I have begun seriously looking at boats. My plan is to buy him/ her over the next 6-8 months and use the next 4 years to fix her up and do any upgrades or repairs I need to. Five years is my goal to be finished with the boat and ready to sail. My wife is ok with the trip as it is something that will be well planned. My hope is that this trip will show her that we can live a life on the water with little dependence on society.

My friends think I am a bit crazy as the idea of the ocean scares them but I feel my true calling is being on the water. Anybody else have any wild dreams they are chasing?

There's a difference between living life on the seas and sailing around the world, at least if you use the clipper route. In general, the Southern Ocean is not to be trifled with. Use the Panama canal or something. Good luck, have fun and be sure to blog or whatever.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Here's a second cost break down

• Boat: $30,000 upwards. Most cruisers who are planning circumnavigation or offshore cruising will buy a boat that is considerably more expensive than this. We would recommend that if you're buying used, it's best to buy a boat that is already kitted out.
  • Monthly budget for 2 people in the Caribbean and Europe: $3000
  • Slush fund: as much as you can afford! We would recommend at least $5000 in savings to deal with any unforeseen circumstances. The older the boat, the more you may need in repairs, maintenance & equipment.
  • Equipment: we've spent about $20,000 on equipment purely designed for offshore and trade wind passage making. Therefore, if you are planning to limit your cruising to a cruising ground such as the Caribbean, you may not need any of these items. They include: Parasailor, SSB radio, hydrovane, Watt and Sea hydrogenerator, wind generator, solar panels, Yellow Brick tracker, laptop for receiving GRIB files at sea (Mac Books are not compatible), flares, and spare parts. This doesn't include 'basics' such as autopilot, AIS, life-raft, EPIRB, sat phone, and code zero sail, fishing rods and lures, BBQ, cool box, etc.
$30,000 boat (cheap end)
$3000 x 12 budget = $36,000
$20,000 equipment
$5000 (low end estimate) for repairs

$91,000 without unforeseen costs, with a cheap boat, with low reserve fun and without any cost of anchorage

Just a note, There are GRIB viewers for Mac.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Let's be honest here. OP will never actually do this..it's just a thread for views. But it's for the best as he won't actually be abandoning his child because of a childhood fantasy. Poor child honestly that his dad would even consider it.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to do something like this.

But I don't think I would want to do it alone. Would need at least one awesome person there with me.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Do it OP. Life is short and if that is your dream don't let people tell you otherwise. I would say listen to your wife, but is she is ok, go ahead. Good luck!

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like most of the people encouraging OP here haven't read half of their posts...

Oct 30, 2017
I bought a 24 foot cal 5 years ago and did some sailing on a pretty big lake but I would never go on the open ocean even with the experience I have.

I really understand the dream of doing this but you must be way more experienced before you try this. You probably feel depressed reading all these comments now but you need to get more experience first.

Doing this in 20 years would mean that you will be more ready and your kid will be old enough to understand. You should do what I do: have the boat on a lake, get some practice first and bring the family with you for some extra family quality time with them.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP, that is an awesome dream, and even more awesome that you're pushing to achieve it :)

When you do set sail, make a thread so that we can enjoy your adventure too!