• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So today IGN posted a review for Borderlands 2 VR and gave it a 3/10.

There was a video and written review at the link: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/12/15/borderlands-2-vr-review

However if you go it now you just get an error.

The complaints they had were: (Getting from someone quoting the review before it was taken down)

There is no way to sprint, strafe, jump, or spin, and besides short, jagged pivots left or right — telescoped with an intrusive iris effect

Problem is that every one of these options is in the game and can be changed in the settings. By default they're off to prevent motion sickness. However the reviewer seemingly never touched the settings for the game. People who played it called out IGN and for now the review is down. It's kind of embarrassing for a reviewer to not even look through the options which is piratically mandatory for VR titles. Since it's standard to have all of the "safety" options on by default.

Edit: Reid23 found the sea IGN link: https://sea.ign.com/borderlands-2-vr/144417/review/borderlands-2-vr-review

Edit 2: IGN did respond on the Borderlands subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Borderland...r_review_but/ebvl7my/?sh=5e53527b&st=JPQS19IP

DanStapleton

Hi everyone, IGN's reviews editor here.

We're very sorry about this whole situation -- it's never our intention to mislead our readers and viewers or misrepresent any developer's work. Obviously, this reviewer was not careful enough in verifying his assumptions about Borderlands 2 VR's movement and comfort options before writing his review, and we definitely don't want reviews based on incorrect information. As soon as the issues were brought to my attention last night I verified the problem and then pulled the review from the site and YouTube (the fact that this happened on a Friday evening made it difficult to pull it from everywhere at once) and contacted Metacritic to have the score withdrawn.

We've started over with a different reviewer and hope to have a new, factually accurate review up before the end of the coming week. Thanks for bearing with us.

Last edited:

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
People who don't look at options before or during the game are weirdos and I will have no backtalk about this.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering they're arguably the biggest and most popular gaming outlet out there, they really need better editorial oversight. This hasn't exactly been the greatest year for IGN's credibility and reputation.

Oct 30, 2017
Haha, wtf!

Going into the options is one of the first thing I do to see what settings I get to work with, it's like instinct.

And for a VR game? You better believe you get familiar with it to get the right settings for yourself.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol yeah I watched the review and the guy said the game was too slow and thus boring/unplayable. Crazy that the 3/10 was based mostly on this critique (which is completely wrong then).

Apr 14, 2018
Lol wow 😅

I'd be genuinely surprised to see IGN survive the next decade. We live in a time when thousands of home schooled 16 year olds with too much time can crank out higher quality reviews and content than most major publications seem to have the time or budget to pull off consistently.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to see this spiral out into more "ethics in games journalism" non-sense. (Pls don't do this by the way).

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Criticizing a game for lacking options, that are present. If you can't open the options menu of a game, or cannot be bothered to...why should anyone listen to you?

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I heard somebody on Giant Beastcast do that today with ashen talking about the AI. He never mentioned you can turn it off.

It always annoys me when prominent websites, streamers, podcasts etc misinforms people. I know they dont mean to, but I usually always look at the options, especially if a mechanic bothers me.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
THE VERDICT
Gearbox has tarnished the reputation of its acclaimed Borderlands 2 with this ill-advised port to PlayStation VR. Even ardent admirers of Borderlands' distinctive brand of hand-drawn looting and shooting will likely be disappointed to find this game in a condition as crude as its sense of humor. Rough-hewn and slipshod — and absent the cooperative play that helped define the series — Borderlands 2 VR tests patience rather than skill as its classic features prove badly suited to VR.

Damn he went in lmao

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Considering they're arguably the biggest and most popular gaming outlet out there, they really need better editorial oversight. This hasn't exactly been the greatest year for IGN's credibility and reputation.

Perhaps they should start instituting some accountability at the management level. After the plagiarism fiasco I was surprised their executive reviews editor survived. Now this.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of whether or not checking the options is mandatory for a trustworthy review, I gotta say I wouldn't expect basic game mechanics to be a toggleable switch in the options menu.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I bet that person feels really really stupid and embarrased right now. Almost feel sorry. But yeah, how you could not check the options as a professional games journalist goes beyond my mind.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of whether or not checking the options is mandatory for a trustworthy review, I gotta say I wouldn't expect basic game mechanics to be a toggleable switch in the options menu.

When it comes to VR even simple stuff can cause some problems with players. The best thing is to give the max amount of options to let them taylor how to play.

Jumping may make a player feel whoozy but teleportation might not.

reid23

Oct 27, 2017
This is how VR games are. There has to be a default setting, and they're almost always in favor of reducing motion sickness. Want to change that? Go to settings. Duh. He should've known. The review reads like he hasn't played a VR game before.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How is it possible to be this incompetent when it's literally your job

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
When VR can figure out how not to do that, we can start getting games I would want.

I mean it's down to the person. Advancements have been made but some people will naturally not be able to handle it.

I can play Skyrim on PSVR with no anti-sick options on and go jumping and slashing all across Skyrim and feel fine but others they just can't. You do get more used to it with practice.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
''The shooting in RDR2 feels dumb.''
''Have you tried Free Aim? Just go to the options menu.''
''There is an option for aiming?!!''

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IT IS on VR, most game actually starts with 'safety' options on. It's to facilitate new VR users so they don't get dizzy and also if you're a long time user you can ease in and see which options you best comfortable with. It's like playing a VR game 101