• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Theres no reason why it wont be compatible since supersampling is a thing thats already supported for the mid gen upgrades

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 only allowing 4k tvs would be a deathwish. Arguably a bigger blunder than always online Xbox One. If they want to give the competition next generation, go for it Sony.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Graphics tech is always getting better that you could stick with a 1080p resolution and continue to have games that struggle to hit 60 FPS. Instead of increasing resolution, a lot of games add new particle effects, textures, volumetric lighting, etc. I think you'll be OK with 1080p.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Yep - that's my current technology roadmap for the home. I have a three year old 1080p Bravia that will keep me going till PS5. Hopefully HDR standards and OLED prices will have stabilised by the time the PS5 hits.

PunkMilitia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean nothing's been announced yet, but that seems to be the way we're heading. It sucks because it seems like the industry just switched to HD a minute ago (about ten years now) and apparently there's something called 8k on the horizon which will probably be a factor for the PS6. This is all a little ridiculous, I think, like back in the day you could just buy a tv and be set, now it feels like you have to buy a new TV for every console generation and that's somewhat alarming.

Does anyone feel this way or is it just me?
Well, the leap from HD to 4K wasn't anywhere near as big as SD to HD.
The main difference 4k TVs bought is HDR, and that's built into current gen consoles.

In order for 4K to be better, you'd need a 42"+ TV. However, for a difference between 4K and 8K, you'd need a 70"+ TV and even then, the difference will be negligible.

Don't even worry about 8K. 4K is definitely going to last at least 10-30 years.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, 4Ktv's will be dirt cheap in 2020. You see those 150 dollar black friday deals for 1080p 55inch tvs? Yep.

Caronte

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your 1080p TV will still be fine, no way they are going to force that transition. The demand for 4k TVs is lower than what happened with 720p and 1080p TVs.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is all a little ridiculous, I think, like back in the day you could just buy a tv and be set, now it feels like you have to buy a new TV for every console generation and that's somewhat alarming.

PS3+PS4 are two generations and by the time PS5 comes out it will be 14 years.
Do you really keep your TV that long and still expect it to be top-of-the-line for next gen gaming content?

ShinkuTachi

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 29, 2017

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
4K? By the time PS5 is coming out (not earlier than 2020, IMHO), the TV industry will have churned out some other new tech to convince people to buy new panels and ditch their old 4K screens. And probably Sony will be fully supporting it.

And probably a 4K TV will be as cheap as Full HDs are today.

C4lukin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tejas
By the time PS5 exists, 4k TV sets should be super affordable. I bought a 4k with HDR Samsung set maybe 8 months ago, and it was pretty affordable. Two years from now, I bet you could get a similar or better set for around 500 dollars.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
8K is completely pointless unless you have the image projected to a gigantic wall and sit really close, otherwise you won't see any difference at all, so that's not something you need to worry about for PS6.

4K is the last meaningful upgrade I'd say, regarding resolution at least. HDMI 2.1 and variable refresh rates is happening next year, that could be worth another upgrade I guess but devs still need to optimize the games for people with regular TVs so I doubt it will be as impactful as gsync/freesync on PC.

Anyway, nobody is forcing you to upgrade so just take it easy and put your money on the upgrades that's the most meaningful going by your own preferences. Maybe you want better sound instead and want to invest in a home theater sound system? Or maybe you want VR and want to put your money on that instead? Don't let the tech improvements force you to do anything you don't like, it'll never stop, every year something new will happen that will make your last year's model seem obsolete, if you're letting it.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
I've had my tv since 2009 and it still looks the same.

Well, that's certainly a claim that is impossible to back up. Any changes to the screen taking place over 8 years, will not be noticeable to you. You'll get used to the decremental changes, and the way it looks now is what you will remember that it has always looked.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I've had my tv since 2009 and it still looks the same.

No offense but without scientific measurements (like a measure of luminance when you bought it vs now) this means nothing. Your eyes have had 8+ years to steadily, every single day, adjust to a fading TV.

I'd bet money, quite a bit in-fact, that if a technician could replace your TV's backlight and panel to factory new, you'd notice a difference immediately. LED decay is real, and what's more is that LED decay speeds up over time. (Though still slow enough that you wouldn't notice on a day-to-day basis until it's too late) The technology since 2009 has gotten leaps and bounds better of course, last year LG announced their OLED's could last for 100,000 hours. The average half-life of a modern LED is about 60,000 to 70,000 for comparison.
=======

As for OP, nobody is going to force you of course. Still, missing out on the extra details provided by 4K, missing out on HDR, and the eventual HDMI 2.1?

When HDMI 2.1 brings free-sync, and the majority of TV's on the market have it, you better hope developers still cap framerates instead of leaving them uncapped. Once everyone else has free-sync, uncapped FPS won't matter so it wouldn't surprise me if devs just left them open as long as it's above 30.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I mean nothing's been announced yet, but that seems to be the way we're heading. It sucks because it seems like the industry just switched to HD a minute ago (about ten years now) and apparently there's something called 8k on the horizon which will probably be a factor for the PS6. This is all a little ridiculous, I think, like back in the day you could just buy a tv and be set, now it feels like you have to buy a new TV for every console generation and that's somewhat alarming.

1. No one forces you to buy stuff you dont need.
2. As you said, its been over 10 years since we got HD and we still see sub HD games. 8k??? Lol. Also dude PS6 is 10 years away.
Come back to the present you will get depressed.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure you'll do just fine on a 1080p TV with the PS5, but I'm definitely taking the opportunity to upgrade. 2019 or 2020 will be well over a decade since I got my 1080p plasma, and I'd love to get a nice 4K OLED.

I feel like that'll probably be my last TV, too, until it wears out, at least. No way are my eyes going to be in good enough shape after another decade or two of staring at screens to resolve 8K's worth of pixels when that technology becomes popular.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1080p is probably still viable with PS5. I mean its a good resolution for sets around the 40 inch mark and it has the same aspect ratio etc.

But 4K is already affordable right now. Let alone in 2020.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
IMHO by the time PS5 comes out, it will be pretty hard to buy a new TV that isn't 4K by default...so for you personally it will depend on how old your current TV is and how often you want to buy a new one or not.

Manufacturers don't want people buying a new TV every 10-15 years (or longer)....

"Forced" is a strong word but you may feel like you really want to get one, even though you'd rather spend the money on something else.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
They're pretty cheap right now tbh. Even the more expensive oled models of today will be dirt cheap by the time next gen rolls around.

They won't drop much below $1K but that is considerably cheaper than their MSRP. LG's have been popping up for sub $1500 the last few weeks.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just got a 55" Samsung 7 series 4k HDR set for the Pro and my God it's glorious to play a game like Assasins Creed Origins on it.

I am coming from a tiny (30"?) Sony 1080p set and the difference already is quite big on the same system with a new TV.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Up until the Wii U all consoles could be used with an SDTV (and I still do so for all systems up to Wii U) and my super cheap PC monitor I am using for Xbox One is at 900p, via an HDMI->VGA converter. I doubt I will need to buy a new monitor for the Xbox One 2. Nintendo's systems are probably going to have screens for the foreseeable future and are therefore independent of monitors. So in short: Probably not.

Breeze

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.
After getting a 55" 4k TV and playing games in native 4k from my PC, I can safely say that resolution doesn't matter that much. 1080p is perfectly fine. Framerate though...

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a 55" Samsung 7 series 4k HDR set for the Pro and my God it's glorious to play a game like Assasins Creed Origins on it.

I am coming from a tiny (30"?) Sony 1080p set and the difference already is quite big on the same system with a new TV.
Yeah I just bought a Sony 65" 4K TV (9305) and even on my OG PS4 it's an amazing difference compared to my 10 y.o 46" Samsung 1080p TV. It has been a huge upgrade for me even when just upgrading to modern TV tech while still using same resolution. Can't wait to finally see games in 4K and HDR on the X in 2 days!

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found it ridiculous how much the industry is focusing on 4K when they have yet to fully get 1080p 60fps which I found to be far more important than 4K.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

The market switched to 720P about 10 years ago, and then 1080P in time less than that. Progress will keep happening. The reason you didn't see this sort of progress before was because display tech had stagnated with CART technology.

Breeze

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this 4k and PS5 talk makes me wish that Sony would set a standard that all games should have a gaming (lol) mode that targers framerate over resolution similar to how Nioh had action mode.
But unfortunately that won't happen.

Possumowner

Oct 27, 2017
Uk
Yeah let's get framerate sorted 1st,by the time Ps5 is out 4ks will be very cheap,the norm I would imagine.That and Ps5 will no doubt work on older 1080p tvs

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the difference between demands for 4k and 1080p means it's the difference between 30fps and 60fps, I'd prefer to stick with 1080p.
I wish devs and console makers would too. 4K just isn't worth it. We should have stopped at 1440p until hardware got cheap enough to ensure 60fps at 4K.

I certainly won't be going 4K until I can get at least a 48in 4K HDR set for $300 or less without killing myself on Black Friday for it. I only just upgraded from 720p to 1080p this January with a $300 48in Vizio.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I wish devs and console makers would too. 4K just isn't worth it. We should have stopped at 1440p until hardware got cheap enough to ensure 60fps at 4K.

I certainly won't be going 4K until I can get at least a 48in 4K HDR set for $300 or less without killing myself on Black Friday for it. I only just upgraded from 720p to 1080p this January with a $300 48in Vizio.
Jaguar doesn't even handle 60fps at 1080p so only viable solution was to pump up the resolution.

Ryzen equipped next gen consoles can handle 4k60.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jaguar doesn't even handle 60fps at 1080p so only viable solution was to pump up the resolution.

Ryzen equipped next gen consoles can handle 4k60.
The focus on graphics and resolution over framerate has always, to me, been a cardinal sin that game companies keep repeating. Lets see if they actually make 60fps the standard next gen.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody's forcing you to do anything. Especially compared to the smartphone industry. I bought my iPhone 6 three years ago and I just had to upgrade because it was running so slowly. And televisions are cheaper than smartphones.

KnightSword

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are people that still game on a 720p set nowadays, you're fine with a 1080p. By the time ps5 comes around, good 4k tv's should be super affordable

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
some 4k tv's are cheap but i feel like if i invest in a 4k set i want the best hdr and oled screens, i don't want to settle for just a bog standard 4k tv. that's my problem. Especially with HDR implementation.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The focus on graphics and resolution over framerate has always, to me, been a cardinal sin that game companies keep repeating. Lets see if they actually make 60fps the standard next gen.

the bigger sin would be to not let developers make the games they want to make with the tradoffs and sacrifices they want to make. PC is the best compromise for people who want a certain way to play games.

chaos_planes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There has always been a reason to buy a new TV for a new generation of consoles tbh. New inputs giving better picture quality, physically bigger sizes, widescreen, then HD/FullHD from last gen. So really, this gen isn't any different, and it will be the same for next gen too I am sure.

Modern console games are pretty much beholden to whatever the gold standard of film/tv is, since they want to be "cinematic". You put "1440p" on the front of the latest game and people would go "WTF is that". With "4K" they know (or think they know) what they are getting.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Guess its that the resolution in most games Will be 1440p and It Will be Checkerboarded to 4k

vertti

Oct 27, 2017
Who wants to use the same TV for 10 years when the picture quality etc. has gotten so much better.

Actually I had 32' 720p Sony which I just recently replaced with X900E. The difference is quite big. However, I played happily with my old set so you don't need to upgrade if you don't feel like it. And 8K won't be a thing for a long time.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No you don't have to and 8K is not on the horizon. Not in the TV space and especially not in the console space with a PS5 successor.

Executor

Oct 30, 2017
I guess we'll get some beautiful downscaled AA in 1080p.......except for hdr I'm still not sure there's the need for that...

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not at all. We have two 1080p TVs and no plans to upgrade. Games will still play and look fine on 1080p TVs.

I'll consider upgrading when the cable channels we watch a ton are in 4K as that's the biggest part of our TV usage. Or if one of our TVs breaks or gets stolen etc. Neither of us are remotely audio or videophiles so upgrading to 4K just isn't a priority. Not worth the hassle of trying to sell off the current TVs without getting robbed etc.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There has always been a reason to buy a new TV for a new generation of consoles tbh. New inputs giving better picture quality, physically bigger sizes, widescreen, then HD/FullHD from last gen. So really, this gen isn't any different, and it will be the same for next gen too I am sure.

Modern console games are pretty much beholden to whatever the gold standard of film/tv is, since they want to be "cinematic". You put "1440p" on the front of the latest game and people would go "WTF is that". With "4K" they know (or think they know) what they are getting.
I was thinking that devs downsample from 1440p to 1080p, not advertise 1440p as an image standard. Though consoles should support native 1440p out.