• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you or would you be willing to pay for console game streaming of current and next-gen games?

• Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Microsoft xCloud streaming for XB1 and next gen Xbox games

Votes: 614 25.9%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Google's Project Stream service with whatever they're doing

Votes: 454 19.1%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for PlayStation Now for PS3/PS4/PS5 games

Votes: 468 19.7%
  • No, I will NOT be willing to pay for any console streaming service, I am totally against it

Votes: 1,302 54.9%
  • xCloud / Gamepass for Nintendo Switch, Yes!

Votes: 555 23.4%

• Total voters

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Voted NO.

Console should just be one machine at launch and support discs, digital downloads and streaming. This way, everyone has the option to do what they want without anyone being restricted. For me, it's discs, downloads and streaming in that order so if for example, Google's gaming console is streaming only, it will be an easy pass for me.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had the beta for google project stream. Yes I will stream a lot of 3rd party games. You get the advantage of not needing local hardware

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
As i get older ive come to the realization i dont want to own anything anymore. After cleaning out my garage, shed, basement... Its all just garbage that fills up your house. I just tossed out hundreds of old games and systems i had rotting away in closets, shelves under the stairs. I wish there was a subscription service for more things. Pay 200 a month and get a new tv every 2 years would be awesome.
At the end of the day im paying to be entertained so netflix, spotify and eventually any streaming game service will be fine by me.

Deleted member 1074

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
on one hand as someone who does have a 1TB data cap monthly. streaming a game would use less bandwidth then downloading 150+GB games. if I could stream next gen games to my current xbox one S or pc's and saves me buying another $400 box then It might be worth it. I assume my speed and connection is decent enough to keep stable streams going. the only downfall to this is latency in online games.

Dosmo

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was in the project stream beta. It worked well, but I almost ran into my 1TB bandwidth cap twice before I got through Oddessy. I'd have to have an unlimited connection before I'd consider using it as my main way of playing games.

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It will never be a viable solution on my connection so its a no go for me. That will not change even 10 years from now with the internet I get in my area.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Won't pay for it because it won't work where I live. I was in the Google trial with Assassin Creed and my ping to Seattle from Alaska was too high to even launch the game :(

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I will do the same thing I do with Netflix since they raised their price. Pay for a month or two, play everything I want to play, and then turn that shit off.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Yeah definitely. PS Now works really well for me. If I could get every game on one box I would be fine with streaming.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not making a decision on paying for something with barely any information out there.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very against cloud streaming services. I do not think the latency is acceptable (it's borderline at best). I absolutely hate the game ownership issues.

That said, I would be willing to pay a very small fee for a wide selection of titles if there were no other way to have access. $10 / month for an entire platform's worth of completely exclusive games wouldn't be terrible. I wouldn't necessarily stay subscribed forever, but I'd do it intermittently.

If you have to pay a flat fee to play the games (ala OnLive), that is the normal $60 fee, then count me the fuck out. I'm not paying that much to rent a single game. If it's $20 a month, I probably wouldn't bite. If the games are available ANYWHERE else, I'll go elsewhere.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to payformy games and OWN it, sorry... a streaming future = to old MS 2013 doctrine of you buy the right to use, not own software.

Nov 23, 2017
Nice to be able to afford those things. Not everyone can. Streaming (but not Google's, that's a big yikes) could democratize access to games even further.

People need to get over the "owning" a game model. With online or certain gaas games you don't really own anything anyway! Just a key to get onto a server...

You don't own the Hulu shows you watch or spotify songs, so why is a game different? Because it costs more?

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Even with uncapped gigabit internet, I don't want to stream games. I don't even like streaming movies or music because the quality is not good, so I keep an offline library. I've got the hardware to play games locally. As long as the industry doesn't go 100% streaming, I won't do it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'd ever go all in on streaming, but I think if they can get the tech good enough than I would be willing to buy into it. I'd love to play a AAA game on my lunch break without having to bring my Switch with me.

JohanKRS

Oct 27, 2017
Torres, RS - Brazil
10 year ago I had 2mbps capped internet for about US$ 50 a month. I used to buy lots of DVDs and CDs. Today I have 300mbps uncapped internet for US$ 35 a month, watch Netflix and Amazon Prime and buy all my games and other media digitally.

I firmly believe that in 10 years I'll have access to a huge library of streaming games for way less than what I could expect to pay now, all working without a hitch, just like Netflix is now.

I'm 36, been gaming (a lot) my whole life, invest a ton of money in hardware (consoles and PC parts), really like to put together my PCs, opening, cleaning, handling hardware, etc... And yet I fully intend to support this streaming generation.

Netflix changed everything... I don't feel the need to own my movies if I can simply turn off my TV and continue playing from the same spot on my phone. That's worth more to me than "owning" something (specially since i'm all digital anyway).

The latency will get solved (good enough is enough for me). Image quality too. I welcome our future streaming overlords.

easter

Nov 15, 2017
This thread and poll can be used as a textbook example of a leading question.

"Hello, I dislike something and this is why I dislike it. How do you feel about it? Do you dislike it too?"

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I can afford, and I prefer, local hardware.

However - I do like remote play so I would like to have streaming as an option when i'm Not at home, or when I don't have access to the TV. And when i'm remote I would prefer not to hold up the console so others can't use it, or rely on my internet upload speed.

So I would consider a remote streaming solution for access to my own digital library.

Edit: I realise my own tendency to buy stuff and increase my backlog - a more cost effective approach may be to just 'give up' and play a preselected catalog like game pass or ps now which will still likely have more games than I can reasonably play

Last edited:

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
I'm not totally against it, but unless something else besides shitty Spectrum/Time Warner becomes available there is zero chance of me doing it.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
This thread and poll can be used as a textbook example of a leading question.

"Hello, I dislike something and this is why I dislike it. How do you feel about it? Do you dislike it too?"

Meh.

The No choice was at the bottom when I started this poll.

People are free to choose what they want, and I even added a Switch/xCloud/Gamepass option, and you can now make more than 1 choice.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
no, because i don't want the picture to go blurry if my family ever watches netflix on the tv or their own devices.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Nah, streaming for me isn't worth it as it needs a consistent super duper internet connection. I'm good thanks

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I hope I never get to the point where I'm eager to dismiss something without even trying it.

I mean, my home internet is too shabby for game streaming. But that could change anytime. I'd like to leave that option available.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I'm open minded, if it works then why wouldn't I?

Seems like a bad move making up your mind about something before we know anything about it.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I have nothing against game streaming or paying for it, I will gladly do it if I'll see value in what the service providers offer. That doesn't mean that I'm giving up on local hardware, far from it, but streaming can be a valuable additive option.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
I would not pay for streaming in itself however if your game pass sub included streaming those games at no additional cost then I would be totally on board.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Not likely, since my internet isn't that good. I only get 50mb down, 10 up (thanks Bell) and have to share with five people. We can't even have Netflix watched by more then two people without everyone else suffering slowdown.

I will always play local if it's an option.

shaaaaaake

Nov 24, 2018
My sole objection is latency, but it's a big objection and I'm 99% certain I won't be happy with streaming games.

Hypothetically, what conditions would need to be met in order to achieve under 10ms latency? As in connection speed, distance from server, whatever. Never really understood how it all works.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like eventually streaming will work well enough for most situations. Certain game genres will only be available on local hardware due to issues with latency.

One positive side effect of streaming is that basically any electronic device with an internet connection and screen can be become a "high-end" gaming device. The hardware of the box won't matter outside of being able to offer HD streaming capabilities. This will drastically lower the barrier to entry for many people, opening gaming up to basically everyone.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I do not like latency and do not like compressed images. If the tech can be indistinguishable from a response and image quality standpoint to native hardware I will bite, but I have not seent it yet.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
My internet is not that great & I prefer to play single player games so I'm not interested in paying for a streaming service.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
With data caps? No way I be buying such a thing especially if I want to play offline.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Honestly I don't think that streaming is aimed to substitute the home console ....is more to play on the go

Even if it's just supplemental, they'll have to monetize it. If people think they can buy a game for their console and then stream it for free using Microsoft's servers, I don't think that's going to happen. They'll need some type of subscription.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
I will depending on quality on the service (and titles available) as well as which platforms they are on. Xbox games on Switch are a complete lock its not even a question

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I was an OnLive early adopter, so I'm not against it. I'm not super excited about it, though. It'll be more of a thing that I'll subscribe to for a month to play a game or two and then suspend. I might sample all of the services at some point this way, it really depends on their catalogs and performance.