• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you or would you be willing to pay for console game streaming of current and next-gen games?

• Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Microsoft xCloud streaming for XB1 and next gen Xbox games

Votes: 614 25.9%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Google's Project Stream service with whatever they're doing

Votes: 454 19.1%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for PlayStation Now for PS3/PS4/PS5 games

Votes: 468 19.7%
  • No, I will NOT be willing to pay for any console streaming service, I am totally against it

Votes: 1,302 54.9%
  • xCloud / Gamepass for Nintendo Switch, Yes!

Votes: 555 23.4%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I don't vehemently hate it like the poll suggests.

But my interest in it is literally zero.

Like, nothing. At all. If you told me cloud streaming was going away tomorrow forever, I don't think I'd even blink.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No. I don't want to stream a slideshow. The speeds are not there unless the option to download the games is there.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
fuck that, internet is overpriced and crappy in america even if you live in a major city.
i rather just pay for my phone internet not home as well.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I wouldn't say I'm totally opposed to the very concept. I don't intend to sign up to any streaming service anytime soon though.

Sadly, I think it's inevitable for gaming to steer towards streaming as tech develops. It's way cheaper for companies to not have to actually worry with selling you hardware and with streaming services they don't have to keep pretending you have any kind of ownership over what you're playing.

Oct 30, 2017
I have little use for that.

I prefer to purchase PS5 games and I won't be looking to play a lot of old PS4 games that I don't own.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I just got the ps now thing and am on the seven day trial. It's actually good enough that I think I'll keep it.
Mostly to play games I would never have bought in the first place.
My daughter also likes the ability to just browse and play the games.
I might get xcloud if they bring a switch or linux client and starts making games that I am interested in.

edit: I'll still buy most games that I want to play and play them locally though. The streaming is just an addition to that.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Er how about an all of the above option in the poll OP, not everybody just uses one company's services to play games.

If the streaming tech is good enough and the library is enticing, and the subscription fee is competitive (foh with that current $20 a month for ps now) then sure I'll bite, or at least give something a trial run. PS NOW certainly has latency issues but I was still impressed with the IQ in certain titles like fighters. It's also a relatively cheap way to experience a bunch of older games you missed out on. That's one area Sony did good on with NOW is the robust back catalog of PS3 titles.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely play around with the services but they won't be the primary way I play games, at least not for another 5-10 years.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Depends on the price and reliability. I'm not going to pay for a more expensive version of PSNow if that's all it turns out to be.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
"Totally against it" is a bit strong for my feelings on streaming as I'm fine with it existing, but for me personally I prefer to have more ownership of my games than that. I barely pay for streaming much with other media either. The new Steam approach of streaming the games I already own is much more appealing as then I have both options.

I don't like being subject to the whims of a service removing content like I've had to suffer with Netflix and Spotify.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Either games are run locally on my machine or I'm not interested. Period.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
if people want to game with an image quality comparable to 720p and over 100ms of input lag (maybe much more)...go for it. i don't think google is going to do it much better, at least for many many people.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Why can't I choose multiple? Another busted poll.

yeah I'll totally get one once in awhile if they got a good game and that's the only one I can play it. I'm not going to sit there with the subs for whole years at a time, though. What a waste of money.

I'm mostly going to play at home on my heaters (#makeheaterhappen) and if I really can stream that anywhere for free, I'm just about covered for convenience or what have you.

So I'm down for any service if they can produce a great game. Month by month. Consider it a rental. But I'm not going to add these subs to my usual Netflix and such.

UCFJake

Nov 20, 2017
Savannah, GA
I'd pay for either xCloud or Project Stream if prices were reasonable and didn't smash my Comcast data cap too hard. The PS test ran fine on my 25mbps plan for AC:O.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see an option for me. I'm not against it, but I won't use it or pay for it. Why those those polls are always so one sided.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
It will have to be very reliable, which I just don't think is possible yet. Even after that though, it's going to have to be absurdly cheap to justify me not owning any of my games anymore. We're talking original Netflix prices and I doubt anyone can pull that off.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with your poll that you assume xbox is going to charge you to stream games you already own. Everything they've said points to you streaming your (the games you own) games anywhere.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer to have the games running on my own hardware. America's garbage-tier internet, courtesy of government-facilitated monopolies (which give way to things like data caps, throttling, overpriced services, and zero competition on a regional basis) is not conducive to game streaming on the scale these companies are striving for.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
My Internet isn't good enough. If those standards ever go up, I would be willing to try it.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not against it but my ISP/internet connection is so bad it wouldn't work correctly so I just can't.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have no idea how the service will work or the quality that will be available, Technology is moving at an exponential rate.

This thread is stupid and needlessly hostile.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I am sure there will eventually be some kind of ad supported offering from someone. Not for some time though.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I've had no issues with GeForce Now, so I would certainly give other options a try.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
It depends. If it's part of an online service that I already subscribe to like Xbox Live Gold or PS plus, then I'll use it.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, the input latency and compression artifacts are an absolute deal-breaker for me.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it works, sure I am willing to try it out.

I dont think it will though. Especially in my region.

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
I am not against game streaming per se but for me there is almost no reason to use it. I have no problem affording multiple game consoles and a gaming PC so at home it would be a suboptimal alternative to dedicated systems. It could be a little bit of interest when I am away on business and sitting in a hotel but on the other hand I have barely leisure time when I am away on business so it wouldn't be worthwile. And I definitely don't want to play console games or my PC games on the ~5 inch screen of my smartphone.

Oct 25, 2017
Voted, no but not really that I'm totally against it. Just totally disinterested. I've never had a good experience with streaming, and I'm happy to pay to play games natively. That's about it.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I fully agree with you. I am completely against streaming. There are many reason(for me) and the biggest are :

- Games have to be designed around it. Favors slower games where you don't notice the latency
- I don't want to own a temporary experience/license which might expire. I want to own something I can play again in 30 years even if the servers are down.
- Many people in certain parts of the world don't have the infastructure for game streaming which requires a good connection.
- Competitive online games would be horrible with additional delay.
- It would incentivize publishers to heavily promote microtransactions in their games (even more than now, which is already bothering me).
- Hardware is part of the fun for me. Mostly on the PC side, but I love being in control and customizing.
- I might move to a new apartment where I don't have internet yet or maybe not even access to super fast internet. Maybe even to a new country or having internet connection problems and I love that I can still play my physical games if that is the case.

It actually makes me sad thinking about game streaming and gaas and virtual reality and all those multiplayer games with big focus on microtransactions. For me gaming is just putting in the disc/cartridge, escape the world, and enjoy my time with a beautiful immersive single player game.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can barely stream 1080P video on my self proclaimed "high speed connection" I don't even want to imagine playing a platform or anything else that requires minimal input lag.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
If it's good then I honestly don't really give a shit if i have hardware or not.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
You have no idea how the service will work or the quality that will be available, Technology is moving at an exponential rate.

This thread is stupid and needlessly hostile.

Even if it works supremely well, I would still never be on board given the risk of losing access to games that I would always want to play. As a consumer, that's one of my main issues with streaming, especially further in the future, if some games are exclusively streaming-only. I'm not willing to take that chance, even if streaming technologies work flawlessly (and that's nearly impossible).

My question and poll are genuine in terms of wanting to know where people stand, and not needlessly hostile. I am a multi-platform/console owner, have no undying bias in favor of any single console provider, and plan to buy all the next-gen consoles (at least from the current players, Google, we'll see).

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Of course I will, once it provides the most value (best ratio between price and quality). Not before that, though.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Chances are whatever streaming solution they come with won't be available in my country for a few years, so no I wouldn't try them.