• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So basically impeachment means fuck all with zero consequences. That's what I'm gathering from this thread.

It won't be a "stain" on him, this will literally have the opposite effect on his supporters. This is going to galvanize them.
It clearly is a stain on him, but if the question is whether this will turn conservatives against the man, then that was never going to happen.
Republicans are galvanized every time they tune into Fox News. It takes very little effort to achieve that and the Democrats might as well throw in the towel if the concern is whether an action that they take will be spun negatively against them by right wing media to galvanize their base. Because the answer will be yes. Every time.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It clearly is a stain on him, but if the question is whether this will turn conservatives against the man, then that was never going to happen.
Republicans are galvanized every time they tune into Fox News. It takes very little effort to achieve that and the Democrats might as well throw in the towel if the concern is whether an action that they take will be spun negatively against them by right wing media to galvanize their base. Because the answer will be yes. Every time.
ding ding ding.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
So basically impeachment means fuck all with zero consequences. That's what I'm gathering from this thread.

It won't be a "stain" on him, this will literally have the opposite effect on his supporters. This is going to galvanize them.
His supporters are always galvanized anyway. And even if there's no consequences it'll always bother him that it happened to him. Who knows what this will drive him to do.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Couldn't happen to a more deserving president.

Edit: I believe that debate will last for at least 6 hours for the articles, while the GOP will throw a lot of procedural BS to delay the vote. So just strap in everybody. Gonna be a long day.
Not happening because the sooner this is in the Senate, the sooner Mitch and his Trump loyalists can push through a not guilty verdict.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's going to demonstrate with zero ambiguity that the entirety of the GOP has hitched their wagon to Trump, a man who is wildly incompetent and obviously a criminal. You might say that they have already repeatedly proven that they are Trump's party, but this will be the most definitive evidence of it - An albatross around their necks forever.

This is the GOP being given an out and refusing to take it. If the democrats are smart (oh god...) this will be front and center in every attack ad from now until November.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
All you "senate will acquit" people are annoying as fuck

why would we do ever the senates work for them and not impeach

y'all can't think

Dec 31, 2017
To those saying that "impeachment will have no effect" should realize it's not the fault of the dems that the senate has a predetermined conclusion regarding the evidence and refuse to hold a fair trial and call witnesses; it's extremely brazen corruption. This can possibly play out against the republicans, if they pull too hard without showing any semblance of fairness. Independents and republicans that sit on the line are turnable. The hardcore Trump base though is lost, and will never change their minds.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018

That's certainly my opinion as well, but you will find we are in the minority. Most believe this will somehow change minds or at least be a rallying cry of the Democrats, but in reality, the best outcome is that it rallys both sides. The more likely reality is that is rallys the Republicans more than the Democrats and it comes back to bite them in the ass next year.

When he's not removed from office, it will be seen by his deepest supporters as validation, and a certain subset of people will not see the farce for what it is and will just assume he's innocent and will support him believing him to be honestly vindicated.

We're not dealing with political majors here...we're dealing with common folk who don't follow or even understand all the intricacies of their own government. The optics of this matter and his inevitable "not guilty" will be seen by a fair many as "right"...and those are the people that will make the difference in an election. Not the far left; not the far right; those in the middle who can and will be swayed.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impeach the motherfucker.

I want that asterisk next to his status to dig deep into his soul. Dems will have all the opportunities to call him 'impeached president'.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Ya know, I've been thinking...

With there still being nearly a year until the next election this surely won't be the last flagrantly impeachable offense this doofus will commit. What happens if in a few months another massive bombshell drops? What is the remedy or solution Congress can use on an already impeached president?

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Even if this rallies both sides of the political debate, isn't more people voting in general a good thing? Getting a more accurate representation of what Americans truly want is a good indicator of whether or not your personal values are compatible with today's sociopolitical landscape.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
This is what i'm thinking. Whats the point if it has zero consequences?
Dems can say they tried and blame the Republicans to let him get away with it.

If the Democrats don't do anything it would show that they don't care or are complicit with what's happening.

Also it could make more difficult for Trump to try to do it again in the next elections.

Last edited:

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I see we have moved from slow down to actually this is bad optics for Democrats and they should continue to do nothing.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
You know what is cooler than meaningless political posturing? Nihilism, bay-bee!

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
edit: nvm, it's not worth getting into

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Dems can say they tried and blame the Republicans to let him go away with it.

If the Democrats don't do anything it would show that they don't care or are complicit with what's happening.

Also it could make more difficult for Trump to try to do it again in the next elections.
It's also makes it easier to mock Trump supporters, because the clear and cut corruption behind the reason he's being impeached, is a very good mark against them. A lot of is indeed to do with principal. A nice principal fuck you.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
This all or nothing mentality some of y'all have is ridiculous.

it's like y'all don't realize that out of 3 branches of government that democrats only have 0.5 of a branch, and republicans have 2.5 branches.
the cards are stacked against the Dems, it's a wonder they're even getting the impeachment today.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
It's been shown time and again that Trump's base will be the same size, galvanized or not.

The 2020 election will be decided by Independents, and very few in the middle will believe Trump is innocent here. Congress has a duty to impeach him for his crimes.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know what is cooler than meaningless political posturing? Nihilism, bay-bee!
It's certainly nauseating.
If you subscribe to this line of thought then Dems should just not bother investigating anything or doing anything of worth until he leaves office.
Indeed. In fact, why even show up to their job? It's not like Trump and the GOP will ever sign what policy they draft, so ultimately nothing is done and therefore the attempt isn't even worth it, right? Because only obvious and tangible outcomes are worth pursuing and not optics, right?

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do anything if it doesn't solve everything? Why can't everybody see how wise I am for imparting such wisdom?

The racist bastards in my life will die suckling his teets so pretending that things matter is stupid and that makes me smart. Just go with it like I do.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

During Bill Clinton's impeachment, his approval ratings hit an all-time high of 73%.

Even though a large majority of the country thought Clinton's impeachment was bullshit, that still didn't galvanize the country enough to give Democrats a majority in Congress or vote in big enough numbers to put a Democrat in the Oval Office. Republicans got the White House, and with the deciding vote of the VP, control of both houses of Congress.

Impeachment is a stain. It wears people out. It's like talking to someone with bad breath. Whoever they are, you're not mad when the conversation is over.

OP
OP
Kaitos

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Link to watch added to the OP. I can't believe I'm flying during impeachment.