• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fanatic

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Not a good look, especially because this doesn't even take 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants into account.

These stats were gathered by the Swedish fact checking program "Uppdrag granskning".

Man har också gjort en kartläggning som visar att 58 procent av de som dömdes för våldtäkt eller försök till våldtäkt mellan 2012 och 2017 är födda utomlands. När det gäller överfallsvåldtäkter är siffran ännu högre, enligt Uppdrag granskning.
Edit: Original post source removed on popular request. The other sources in this post are more neutral.
Edit & added:
Alternate sources courtesy of hydrophilic attack:
https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/8wA0LQ/ug-kartlagger-domda-valdtaktsman
https://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/domda-valdtaktsman-ofta-fodda-utomlands/

Basically states that 58% of rapes are committed by people born outside of Sweden and that these numbers are even higher for violence/assault.

Here's the Swedish reddit thread on the matter for anyone interested in hearing what Swedes are saying/feeling about it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sweden/comments/994s8y/uppdrag_granskning_om_våldtäktsdömda_nästan_60/

Relevant followup links courtesy of Keasar:
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/granskni...sdomar-58-procent-av-de-domda-fodda-utomlands
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/granskni...ha-forskat-pa-det-har-betydligt-mer-intensivt
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/granskning/ug/ulf-johansson-darfor-gor-vi-granskningen-domda-for-valdtakt
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/granskning/ug/panshiri-om-utrikes-fodda-valdtaktsman

Heads up, google translate does work decently with Swedish to English conversation, it will give you the general idea of what's going on.

Choice quotes courtesy of MikeHattsu:

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/granskni...sdomar-58-procent-av-de-domda-fodda-utomlands

Assignment review mapping of judgments in district court shows that:

• 58 percent of those convicted of rape and attempted rape over the past five years were born abroad.

• If you only look at attempted and completed assault rape - where the victim and the perpetrator do not know each other - the figure is even higher. More than eight out of ten convicted offenders were born in another country. 40 percent of these have been in Sweden for a year or less.

• The survey also shows that over half of the convicted offenders were born outside of Europe - 427 out of 843. Nearly 40 percent [of the 843] were born in the Middle East or Africa. In the case of assault rape, 97 out of 129 are born outside of Europe.

The survey applies only to convicted offenders. They constitute a very small proportion of all reported to rape, and an even smaller proportion of all sexual offenses such as the Crime Prevention Council, Brå, get information in their questionnaires.

• 2016 there were 142 convictive rape judgments.

• The same year, a total of 6715 rape was reported.

• In Brå's National Security Examination 2016, there were data of 190,000 serious sex offenses.

You can not therefore draw conclusions about all rapists based on the mapping. At the same time, the trend is the same as in previous investigations of suspected offenders, showing that people with foreign backgrounds are overrepresented.

Added:
Link to /r/Europe discussion on the subject.
https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/99dn42/new_analysis_of_rape_sentences_58_percent_of/

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is rape defined in this study? Does it include marital rape? Is it only reported rape? Convicted?

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
More fuel for the right.

I would like to know what causes this.

Different worldview and different view on women. Sadly many males from specific origins treat women different. I Know that this will be put against me but that is sadly my experience. In the end it's faulted education.

Edit: The News Page is extreme right. But the prime source seems right.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
This will inevitably just be used by fascist scum to forward their narrative rather than anyone actually interested in the social mechanisms at play. Great.

Is this source trustworthy or do they have an agenda and choose the data selectively?
The show, Uppdrag Granskning is a relatively credible source. It's the biggest show of its kind, produced by the Sveriges Television, the main public service channel over here.

But yeah, releasing these numbers without further analysis is fucking dangerous in these times when so many assholes will interpret this as every single one of the perpetrators being a muslim immigrant.

EDIT: Oh shit, didn't even notice the OP link goes to nyheteridag. Fuck that site to hell.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Den Haag, Netherlands
Is this source trustworthy or do they have an agenda and choose the data selectively?
I know that Nyheteritag was flinging shit at that woman who stood up in the aeroplane to prevent deportation of an Afghan man a couple of weeks back. PJW use them extensively.

Does it provide the ethnicities of the offenders? Because that number could also include European migrants which also have significantly different rape laws compared to Sweden.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Population ratio would be important too.

If this is first gen immigrants I wonder how the rate changes for second and third generation immigrants, if they can integrate.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to see open borders advocates propose solutions to these problems.

Allowing immigration is nice but you'll have to make sure it doesn't negatively impact the current population.

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
I appreciate the source and the link to the reddit thread you included into your post, but I can't read swedish. What do the Swedes say/think about this?

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I mean, I'm all for stopping fascists in their tracks. But you don't even have to be right-wing to be shocked by this, right?
I don't think I implied any such thing. I'm just saying that these numbers on their own will be used for some really hideous shit, especially since we've got our election coming up in a few weeks. This will get really fucking ugly really fast.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Uh, why would 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants need to be "taken into account"? Second generation immigrants aren't immigrants.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's hard to both hold the belief that 'foreigners' are not inherently savages, while ALSO believing that the middle east has some really fucked up views especially when it comes to women that might lead to this kind of statistic. Both can be right.

It's almost like the world is complicated and the best solution is probably not racism.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
I'd be interested in knowing how that crime and non swedes correlate to poverty levels, conviction rates on minorities, etc. Statistics without context make me wary.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
SVT:s "Uppdrag granskning", UG, har kartlagt samtliga som dömts för våldtäkt och försök till våldtäkt i Sverige de senaste fem åren, från 2012 till 2017.
I programmet, som sänds på onsdagen, redovisas statistiken. Totalt handlar det om 843 gärningsmän.

Does this say there were only 843 convicted rapes in Sweden in those 5 years? Sounds surprisingly low. I know under-reporting etc. but still seems like a really low total number.

Nov 2, 2017
Den Haag, Netherlands
Yeah I get that. But even if they were all Norwegian, how is it not incredibly important? (if true, of course)
It is incredibly important. But the argument and consequences become very different if the narrative is "58% of rapes are committed by non-native people of non-European descent" versus "58% of rapes are committed by non-Swedish people".

The former would be a massive boon for far-right Swedish Democrats and could help their aggressive demonization of non-white people in Sweden, the latter would further solidify the fact that Swedish rape law is massively different and not well-understood.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
This doesn't really mention if there is simply a higher incidence of reporting and convictions against minorities. That's to say that white males may typically be convicted less often because of their assigned privilege, so there may be more scrutiny when the accused is a minority.

Different worldview and different view on women. Sadly many males from specific origins treat women different. I Know that this will be put against me but that is sadly my experience. In the end it's faulted education.

Edit: The News Page is extreme right. But the prime source seems right.
On the flip side, 4 out of these rapes are convicted by "native" men. That's still a high number.

Not to mention, what year did they start recording this?

DarkCronos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perugia, Italy
More fuel for the right.

I would like to know what causes this.

most likely integration issues. If you can't succesffully integrate in a different society (e.g. learn the language, get a decent job and a stable home, build a network of relations with locals, neighbours, friends, participate in the civil society) you don't have many opportunities to get to know potential partners and engage in romantic and sexual relations. Thus sexual frustration builds up. Thus these things happen.

OP
OP
Fanatic

Fanatic

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
ffs, don't link to nyheteridag.se
My bad, my cousin directed me to the reddit post which links to the site. I'm not a native swede myself but it's relevant to me because my cousin lives in Malmö and she have anecdotally been inappropriately approached many times now.

Other Swedish news sites have already been cited here and the source is completely legit.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i wonder what happened to the "rape capital of the world"

843 convicted rapists in 5 years is 168.6 per year

at around 10 million inhabitants, that corresponds to around 1.7 per 100k inhabitants

meanwhile, in the USA, there were around 75000 convicted in 2012. i'm pretty sure this number includes also attempted rape and threat of rape, which the swedish number doesn't. these correspond to slightly less than half of the total number. so the comparable number to sweden would be roughly 40000 convicted for rape and attempted rape in 2012

so the comparable number for usa would then be roughly 12 per 100k inhabitants

so sweden still has very few cases in comparison

May 9, 2018
Rather than linking to Uppdrag Granskning, you choose to instead link to Nyheter Idag which is a far-right publication with ties to Russia

Anyway, it is a good illustration of the type of propaganda that law-abiding swedes with immigrant background will have to defend themselves against for the foreseeable future. Pay attention, know and assert your rights.

Monkeyball

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 19, 2018
Is it me or when something like this is posted on this mainly leftist forum, everyone is doubting the source. But a while ago the story about the Danish 'ghettos' none of that happened.

fushi

Oct 26, 2017
most likely integration issues. If you can't succesffully integrate in a different society (e.g. learn the language, get a decent job and a stable home, build a network of relations with locals, neighbours, friends, participate in the civil society) you don't have many opportunities to get to know potential partners and engage in romantic and sexual relations. Thus sexual frustration builds up. Thus these things happen.
Isn't this basically the "economic anxiety" excuse, just used in a different context?
More fuel for the right.
The classic Era first response to any rape thread.