Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
I only really play Rocket League because every online game has awful human beings inflicting themselves on innocent souls. Luckily RL lets you pretty easily mute whoever you want to, or turn chat off altogether so it really isn't too bad.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've not played LoL or OW competitive. For my experience this would have to go to WoW. So many obnoxious assholes I dealt with over the years I played that. FFXIV is much more chilled out.

Honourable mention for Pokemon, which I've just given up on ever discussing properly due to how nasty the discourse tends to get these days. Even here.

Dec 13, 2017
league of legends and it really isnt close
Of recent memory this is my clear winner.
Heroes of Newerth. Toxicity was builtin, with garbage bin emotes (sit down son), humiliations, racist CEO, spamming Gs macros, etc. It was absolutely ruthless.
I only played HoN during beta and definitely not by the time it officially launched. Didn't notice anything then, but given the target demographic for this game it doesn't surprise me at all to hear this.
Overwatch by a mile, sexist, racist, transphobic, xenophobic. Literally you name it the game has people like that in it. It harbors literally the worst fucking community I've ever seen.
I never played Overwatch but this all sounds like par for the course for MOBAs and team hero based shooters.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Video games probably league, but I leave games where I experience toxicity regularly pretty quick so not going to be the best judge of that.

Outside of video games, 40k specifically it's online communities can turn to fascist apologia pretty quick if not moderated to combat it.
40k discussion is always playing with fire.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Rocket league OCE server is worst I have experienced. Especially high ranks... people there live to fuck you over

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I feel that OG Company of Heroes deserves mention due to much of the playerbase being self-identified nazis.

Though to be honest even the f%$@ nazis weren't as annoying as your average tilter in dota.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not big on MP/PvP so i'm sure it's just scratching the surface of what's out there...

but Division 1 dark zone in the game's heyday was naaasty. F and N bombs left and right. not even through salty "bad losers", like every player encounter i was a f***** and n***** and go fuck yourself coz reasons

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Rainbow Six Siege made me turn off text and audio chat and quit playing with randos... so that. People would just say slurs all the time, team kill, yell over small things... it was awful.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Overwatch. All the regular MP shitbags plus wannabe try hards in causal mode screaming about player picks and performance instead of finding a team to play with.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i never really got too involved with any communities, but i remember having some vile shit flung my way back when I used to play Halo a decent bit

in fact, it was my experiences with Halo that caused me to get used to auto-muting and only doing party chat, never talked to a single random person through all the Gears multiplayer games I played

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Xbox 360 Uno

7ff1d78a01434276fb6bbd117c7b8614f31e8c7a4d46bec7c3d7b683c9a41dfc.jpg

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a game, but people in the beta/unreleased game collecting scene can be colossal pricks. Big money in it, so imagine how one might react when they discover their unreleased game is announced for release/public auction by someone.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I -was- going to say DOTA 2, but it's Heroes of Newerth(or at least it was, now the game is dead so eh).
Holy SHIT the playerbase was insufferable.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I usually tend to stay away from MOBAs due to the infamous toxicity (also I'm not good at them).
However, I think Siege and Overwatch have been very toxic experiences for me.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Don't play any MOBAs but I've heard they're pretty bad.
Probably Overwatch from what I've experienced?

On the opposite end of the spectrum, ESO and FFXIV both have excellent communities. Escape From Tarkov too, though maybe that's more of a shared suffering thing.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I could kind of tune out the LoL community (though they were still bad), but DotA 2 was unbelievably shitty.
I only played HoN during beta and definitely not by the time it officially launched. Didn't notice anything then, but given the target demographic for this game it doesn't surprise me at all to hear this.
Same.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I've yet to find a competitive multiplayer game that isn't a horrendously toxic environment.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Times were WILD back then.

My answer is CSGO Competitive when solo queuing. So many wannabe pros that absolutely flip their shit and buckle when wins don't fall into their laps. It's like, easy there, champ we're not on FACEIT for ladder play or anything here; johnnysmokes420 over there is high as fuck and I haven't practised nade setpieces in maybe 15 years so chill.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
As an outsider I am struck by how everyone in the Overwatch community seems miserable all the time

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Souls. Look at that thread with easy mod for PC version.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I play Overwatch and LoL but not super competitively and I found both of them to be pretty horrible. LoL you will just get attacked by people if you aren't doing what they think you should be doing.

I've been called some pretty bad names by my team mates WHILE WE WERE WINNING because they though I should do something differently.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I rarely play online, but I would say Siege

i love the game, but am very much a casual player. A week ago I jumped in to play some terrorist hunt co-op, hadn't played in several months.

get into the first match and get team killed right away, intentionally. No reason. Dude shot me as soon as the round started.

got into another match and the same dude was there, killed me again. Really annoying.

And this is the co-op mode, I can't imagine how nasty people must get in the ranked competitive

blomby

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Soldat

but also spies whispering No-No words in your ear when they get you in a headlock in Pandora Tomorrow

banter

Jan 12, 2018
A lot of games that have a strong competitive scene are bad. League of Legends is bad. God forbid you ever just want to try a different character for a certain spot (even in non-ranked) and people act like you just shit in their bed. Overwatch gets pretty bad too. R6 Siege has moments too. It's one of the reasons I don't play these games anymore. I've got enough toxic bullshit in my life without it being in my stress reliever (video games).

Jun 17, 2018
CSGO was pretty brutal a few years back. If you were the last man standing and lost, team mates could be brutal. Verbal abuse and bullying was/is pretty rife on there.

On the other end of the spectrum, I met some really nice folk on there too.

Feb 24, 2018
Zelda: Refusing to let things go, infamously toxic about reviews scores.
Overwatch: Sexism, WAY TO FOCUSED ON THE META, bossy.
Pokemon: So much infighting, smugness, egotism and toxicity
Smash: The amount discussion and overreactions around every character reveal is ridiculous and that's not going into the BS they competitive fanbase pulled years back sending death threats and abuse to anyone playing Bayonetta.
Kojima fans: Take hero worship too far, elitism, playing victim when called on the former two.

Edit: WOW: Both times I tried this game, the game chat was way to toxic and just wasn't fun to play.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Overwatch on PS4 was fucking vile. I used to get PSN messages all the time saying horrible shit, win or lose.

In contrast, I'm past 1000 hours on CSGO and haven't encountered anything bad other then the occasional "you're a bot".

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
I hated being told who and how to play every Overwatch game I joined. That sealed the deal on competitive style multiplayer games for me, haven't really bothered trying any since

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
While many of the games mentioned may very well have the highest proportion of general-purpose assholes and trolls, I'd like to throw an honorary mention to any complex PC game concerned with European history, from the middle ages all the way up to and including WW2.
Games like Mordhau, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Hearts of Iron, and such.
These games have the highest proportion of actual, dyed in the wool nazis and white supremacists in my experience.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Halo 2 hands down. The perfect storm of screaming American kids and proximity comms, along with the inability to mute and party chat.

never had a game evokes so much anger and jubilation in the space of minutes. What a fucking game it was!

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears of war. I think it's aesthetic just brings out the toxic try hards. It's a real sweaty game, all the characters trash talk and there's executions you can do to piss people off. When you Kill somebody a message shows up on screen like SMH or some shit. And the game hasn't changed that much from 2006, so you got long time players who love to shit talk other people.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
My experiences are a little different because I automatically mute everyone and have my PSN messages to Friends Only, but Rainbow Six Siege was pretty bad with the team killing, voting to kick, etc.

Rocket League got really toxic really fast.

I stopped playing Overwatch in late 2016 so I don't know how the community is now (according to this thread, not good)

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Overwatch. I've been playing online since 2004 and tried several games and genres for longer periods of time. While people in the past joked about CoD with all those kiddies it is nothing compared to Overwatch because many players like to think they gonna be the next grandmaster and go full rage mode once it doesn't goes their way. They constantly blame the team and other players and just not in a constructive but the most annoying and insulting way. I have NEVER encountered that frequency of slurs, douchebag behaviour and rage insults in any other online game. And it's not simple trash or shit talk, it's not even a different league, it's a complete different galaxy.

Xenogears_X

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I've heard LoL is bad but I never played it. For me it's been Overwatch. The nature of the gameplay just promotes a toxic culture

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch could be pretty bad, but Dota 2 was on another level.

I'd just turn off all text chat in Overwatch (team voice channel long since muted), but on rare occasions you do meet fun people and it'd be a bit of a shame to not be able to talk to them.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I don't play a lot of online games, but I've had more bad experiences than good w/ Overwatch, so that. In terms of communities outside of actual online MP games, it's gotta be Pokemon and Undertale... they're games I love, but communities I avoid.

On the flipside of things, FF14's community is amazing. Only had a single instance of a bad apple during a boss fight where they got mad at me... it was my first time fighting that boss, and they were pissed that I didn't know every mechanic ahead of time.