• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
It's a schoolyard-grade pun on the popular brand "Olay", who make skincare products.

Oddly enough that is one of the more accurate elements of the games whole 90s throwback asthetic. Early 90s media went to the "a thing being called gay=humour" well SO much. It's like 90% of the chandler/joey stuff on freinds. Hell frasier went to that joke more than once. Ion Fury hey might have been able to get away with it on that angle had the devs not gone full neo-nazi on discord.

thatboydavey

Banned
Jun 26, 2019
They should have just stuck to their guns and ignored the minority outcry, they would have been better off. They made things a million times worse for themselves today lol

Oct 26, 2017
"OGAY" by itself would be just a giant eye roll. Its elementary school level edgy.

But in context with the discord chats, and the other hidden stuff, and this apology that feels like KIA wrote it. For fuck sake lads what are you doing?

"the right is getting better at comedy and it's making lefties nervous"

Imagine being so proud of 'Ogay' that you walk back like this. You're right tho those screencaps are much more telling. Throw it on the boycott pile.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm not too surprised given the shit that was said/in the game to start with.

But they'd put out a statement that, unusually for this type of thing, actually seemed like it might lead to something good - not just an apology, but a big donation and a plan for training to avoid this in the future. So I guess I'm a bit baffled by how obvious the attempt to change course is now? It's kinda pathetic.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So can we put this game on the list of banned games since they are straight up being homophobic and aren't apologetic about it?

Unlike THQ Noric which might encompass a big list of people, this is directly from their developers and is part of the game and it's not even debatable that its completely homophobic.

Yes. Will any mods give a response about this? It's very clear that the leads of the studio and the game are homo and transphobic.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
God, how pathetic. These assclowns are actually falling for the idiotic conservative definitions of censorship and free speech, where censorship is having to act civil, and free speech is acting like a massive tool for your own personal gratification.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
WTF 3D Realms, do you realize that they're going to get pissed off at fagbag getting removed? They'll view any changes as "censorship". Like, what a rollercoaster, trying to choose a middle ground when that will just please nobody and anger everyone.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
EC6K6fFU8AAoIcY.jpg%3Alarge

Ah, they always reveal themselves in time.

Jesus fucking Christ

Imagine using your company's Twitter account and public image for a message like this.

I'm so fucking mad I really liked this game but idk if I can play it in good conscience anymore

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
11SQLtj.png

Whelp. I wanted to support 3D Realms for taking ownership of the situation at Voidpoint. If Voidpoint's going to start walking back their apology, I'mma gonna get off this train while I can still get a refund before they decide that it's too inconvenient to follow through with the rest of their promises like their pledge to the Trevor Project.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They need to keep going and walk back the walk back walking back their original intolerant behavior.

... And then walk that back again.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, this is fucking hilarious. What a bunch of spineless cretins to walk this back.

Game should be ignored forever.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now on Kotaku.

kotaku.com

Ion Fury Developer Backtracks, Says It Won't Remove Gay Joke Because Of 'Censorship'

Upon its release, Ion Fury seemed like a bullet-proof success. The Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior-inspired retro shooter launched earlier this month to rave reviews, with many praising its bloody, chunky blend of old and new. But, shortly after, players discovered homophobic content in the game...

This paragraph is great. Well played, Kotaku!

Regardless, Voidpoint and 3D Realms appear to have heard the masses, outraged about outrage, loud and clear. 3D Realms issued a separate statement to Kotaku in which it expressed support for Voidpoint's decision to vociferously defend its joke about how Olay, a shampoo brand that had a catchy commercial in the 90s, is gay.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I'm betting that these "free speech advocates" will cry about f--bag's removal next. These people are pathetic.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading the replies to jschreier's tweet of the Kotaku article is like inviting yourself to be pissed off.

"Good, I'm glad they don't censor jokes"

Ah yes, not wanting bad homophobic "jokes" in a game is actually censorship. You are absolutely using that word correctly. *eye roll*

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the replies to jschreier's tweet of the Kotaku article is like inviting yourself to be pissed off.

"Good, I'm glad they don't censor jokes"

Ah yes, not wanting bad homophobic "jokes" in a game is actually censorship. You are absolutely using that word correctly. *eye roll*
I invite these people to make these kinds of "jokes" in their places of employment. They can give HR a lecture on censorship as they are shown the door.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I appear to be one of the only gay gamers who actually found the "Ogay" bottle to be amusing.

Again, the stupid jokes on their own aren't why people are asking for refunds, etc. It's the jokes combined with the Discord chats that prove these guys really are homophobic/transphobic. And, of course, their response to the fallout.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What an insane turn of events.

Dude is actually trying to claim that because he didn't intend to offend any gay people it's OK to leave the offensive content in the game, and 3DR is backing them up.

I guess I don't need to worry about what Voidpoint or 3DR are making now or in the future.