• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So have they actually seeded the Public Beta OTA yet, or is this just signing up for it when they do? Because I was running the Developer Beta on my phone and after installing the Public Beta profile it says I already have the latest version of iOS.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Installing now, iOS 11 has really been a shit show so this beta can't be worse.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone with an intel modem iPhone confirm that GPS is working correctly for them? I read on macrumors that one of the ongoing issues in dev beta 2 is your gps location is never pinpointed. I've been playing Pokémon Go a lot this summer, so it's pretty important to me.

This is based on dev beta 2, yes? I know that sometimes they would be different versions in past iOS betas.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I jumped in a little earlier than I planned to and gotta say the gestures are a little weird on iPad with the dock shortly coming up and all. Also the new gesture for the app switcher is a little irritating. I guess they'll fine tune that in the months to come.

Also I wish they'd use the left slide down from the top bar for the widgets now that we have differing functionality there.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone with an intel modem iPhone confirm that GPS is working correctly for them? I read on macrumors that one of the ongoing issues in dev beta 2 is your gps location is never pinpointed. I've been playing Pokémon Go a lot this summer, so it's pretty important to me.

This is based on dev beta 2, yes? I know that sometimes they would be different versions in past iOS betas.
GPS is the only thing that's glitched apparently. I don't play Pokemon Go so wouldn't be able to test it.

So have they actually seeded the Public Beta OTA yet, or is this just signing up for it when they do? Because I was running the Developer Beta on my phone and after installing the Public Beta profile it says I already have the latest version of iOS.

Pretty sure it's because Public Beta is running on Dev Beta 2. Once a new Public Beta comes out, should be able to update.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the full release.

Really enjoying everyone praising the speed improvements.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
How's stability so far? I put the Android P beta on my Pixel and wanted to die soon after.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
Did the public beta include Siri shortcuts? When I look at Settings for Siri and Search all I see is More Shortcuts with no apparent way to create more.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working great with my SE and 5th gen iPad. Keyboard is much faster, everything is really snappy and my SE isn't just randomly getting hot. My iPad would slow down spontaneously but now it's pretty smooth. I haven't used a device this snappy since my stint with the Google Pixel. This is fantastic

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone on iPhone X have feedback on how this runs? I'm debating installing it now or waiting for an update or two

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone on iPhone X have feedback on how this runs? I'm debating installing it now or waiting for an update or two
I mean you can always jump back to 11.4.1. Just make a backup before updating and you should be good. So far I heard only positive remarks on the beta, only some visual glitches for most. Speed is improved quite a bit too as proven by benchmarks as well.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Yeah. App loading is a bit improved and FaceID scanning seems swifter.

For instance, on my Chase bank app it brought up the FaceID scan to login even before I saw the home screen of the app. It was signed in just as that screen loaded and immediately it was logging in.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
I won't lie... Beta 2 has been.... less than great. much worse than Beta 1. My issues

HomeKit is super fucking sketchy.. particularly with my Hue setup. Lights will come back unresponsive (even though turned on). and that unresponsive status then prevents stuff like auto-shut off or automations to turn them off.

Now Playing/background audio is SUPER SUPER SUPER fucked up for me. My lock screen after one or two times playing something will perpetually have the "now playing" window showing but blank.. and unable to get rid of it without a reboot. When I actually play something, a NEW Now Playing window (along with all of my notifications) will appear BELOW the blank window.

and when getting in my car.. it's a total fucking crap shoot as to what's going to start playing (this was true in Beta 1 as well). It seems to start from song 1 of a randomly picked album or playlist that I Was recently listening to. I sort of have PTSD from one playlist right now that it's started from song 1 of like 30000 times in the past month since iOS 12 dropped.

so beta 1 started off amazing.. then my last two paragraphs started happening like a week into it. Then the first paragraph happened with beta 2.... so beware.. ymmv.

Did the public beta include Siri shortcuts? When I look at Settings for Siri and Search all I see is More Shortcuts with no apparent way to create more.
no. you can't create any. the Shortcut app is coming later. All you get now is a recent list of things you've done that can have a quick shortcut created. You can sort of cheat by downloading Workflow... and any workflow you create in there can have a shortcut created for it (run the workflow once, then it will show up in the Add section of shortcuts). But that isn't the actual Siri shortcuts. That will just allow you to assign a shortcut to the workflow (so Siri will open the Workflow app, and run the workflow)

bear force one

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
no. you can't create any. the Shortcut app is coming later. All you get now is a recent list of things you've done that can have a quick shortcut created. You can sort of cheat by downloading Workflow... and any workflow you create in there can have a shortcut created for it (run the workflow once, then it will show up in the Add section of shortcuts). But that isn't the actual Siri shortcuts. That will just allow you to assign a shortcut to the workflow (so Siri will open the Workflow app, and run the workflow)

Ok. That makes sense.

Oct 26, 2017
Don't install yet if you care about GPS/nav

I haven't had any GPS issues on my 7+ with DB2. I'm sure they exist but I've managed to dodge them.

Now Playing/background audio is SUPER SUPER SUPER fucked up for me. My lock screen after one or two times playing something will perpetually have the "now playing" window showing but blank.. and unable to get rid of it without a reboot. When I actually play something, a NEW Now Playing window (along with all of my notifications) will appear BELOW the blank window.

Yeah I've been having this issue too. Annoying, but it's a beta so not shocking.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
I have a 5S and I skipped iOS11 so I'm still on iOS10. Should I upgrade or am I sending my phone's battery to its grave?

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait until Shortcuts/Siri shortcuts get added. That's my biggest reason for jumping into this.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up downloading this in the morning after reading how stable the developer previews are. It's really good so far!

A few things I've noticed though since morning.

1) Battery died from 100 > 89 in about ~50 minutes of usage with screen on and using my AirPods. I don't think this is normal, but I imagine it's because a ton of third party apps aren't optimized yet.
2) Battery usage doesn't display anything. Mine keeps saying use the phone for more than a few minutes and it will update, I don't know if this is a bug on my end.
3) I took one AirPod out expecting it to pause the music, but it didn't. I thought that'd be a hardware thing but I guess it's controlled by software? I rebooted and this issue is no longer there.

Anyone know about point 2? How long does it typically take to show battery usage in settings > battery?

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I won't lie... Beta 2 has been.... less than great. much worse than Beta 1. My issues

HomeKit is super fucking sketchy.. particularly with my Hue setup. Lights will come back unresponsive (even though turned on). and that unresponsive status then prevents stuff like auto-shut off or automations to turn them off.

and when getting in my car.. it's a total fucking crap shoot as to what's going to start playing (this was true in Beta 1 as well). It seems to start from song 1 of a randomly picked album or playlist that I Was recently listening to. I sort of have PTSD from one playlist right now that it's started from song 1 of like 30000 times in the past month since iOS 12 dropped.

so beta 1 started off amazing.. then my last two paragraphs started happening like a week into it. Then the first paragraph happened with beta 2.... so beware.. ymmv.

There's a way to add sorta shortcuts through the Siri settings.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone running this with an iPhone 7? I don't know if there's something wrong with 11.4 but my battery has been terrible and I'm curious if this will fix it.

Chumley

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck I shouldn't have installed this. Too many bugs and gps is fucked. How do I revert?

Status
Not open for further replies.