• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGreatDave

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't stand in line and neither did most people. It also has nothing to do with the phone itself.

Ads that try to insult the competition -- and by association the people buying iPhones -- are never as good as just selling your own product. It comes off as desperate. It certainly didn't make me think, "You know, you're right. I'm an idiot for not accepting Samsung as my lord and savior! Screw the X!"

So my usual response is:
XmVXg.gif

Lest we forget those awful I'm a Mac I'm a PC commercials.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
does the slide to home at the bottom work better than the "old" control center in apps like youtube in fullscreen? Or is it the same mess?

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
does the slide to home at the bottom work better than the "old" control center in apps like youtube in fullscreen? Or is it the same mess?
There's no issue. Swiping home in a full screen video is just as easy as going home from anywhere else. It's also really easy to bring down notifications and control center in full screen video too. You no longer have to swipe multiple times to get it to take like before.

MThanded

Oct 26, 2017
This might actually be the year that samsung 'earns' these snarky hit ads lol. Have seen quite a bit of 'speed test' comparison videos and note 8 holds apps in memory better, and loads social media stuff quicker (ios still dominates at game load times).

True these kind of speed tests are silly, but from my usage, twitter, discord, facebook, youtube all reload REALLY frequently.... Like I dont' remember it being this bad on my 6s plus and that only had 2gb of ram. Wonder if its due to ios11?

Anyone else notice this?

Seems more likely that this is an OS bug.

Oct 26, 2017
YouTube app has been updated with iPhone X support.

Also just wanted to add my opinion that iPhone X makes top bars unreachable and bottom bars inconvenient. Many fundamental iOS UI paradigms need to be rethought.

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
I think that many user interface paradigms that are fundamental to iOS need to be rethought, as bottom bars are inconvenient and similarly top bars are unreachable, due to the iPhone X's shape.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Thanks to movies anywhere I have spider-man homecoming in itunes and thus the iPhone X Video app. I loaded it up and was watching it in HDR on my X (the Video app says it's 4K with Dolby HDR, no sure exactly what the phone is outputting though)... really impressed me at how good it looked for a phone display.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed that videos that were shot on my 7 and brought over via iCloud onto my X take along time to load and play, get the spinning icon for a bit before it plays. :(

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I mean opening up Animoji as an iMessage feature that third-parties can do with their own 3D models.
But they did. The underlying technology, a 3D mesh of your facial expressions in real time, is available to developers. All they have to do is create 3D modes and rig them up to the 3D mesh stuff. Devs are free to create their own animoji system for use in their apps.

Just like devs can create their own scribble feature or implement stickers. They have to do it from scratch but it's possible. The face mesh API parts make this "uncredibly easy".

Oct 26, 2017
I found an easy way to do it: Use reachability. Swipe down from mid height of the very bottom apps = the upper screen goes down. Then you only have to swipe down from the top right (now middle of the screen).

I don't even own an iPhone X. I was just making fun of the post that was quoted in the post above mine, which seems to have been lifted word-for-word from a tweet.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this Samsung attack ad is trending on YouTube, but rofl at the cosplayer waiting in line at the Apple Store

fJUUg2v.jpg

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Doing add that mention or compare to your competitor screams we are not on top and wish we were. It's why Apple once did Mac v PC ads and now don't need to.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I hope none of you are criminals buying this, as when the cops take your phone you are fucked, though I guess there is an option not to use facial recognition...

also what happens if someone uses a photo of you?

I don't see how. They can't make you use FaceID. And the only other way is a passcode which they need a warrant for.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apple just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about top and bottom bars (I'm an expert), but reachability and convenience are huge parts of it.

Apple, publicly apologize and rethink many fundamental iOS UI paradigms in the iPhone X or you can kiss your ergonomics goodbye.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
random observation but FaceID just unlocked for me while I had one hand half covering my mouth and the bottom of my face - not bad

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wireless charging update needs to come... mine sits at 99% charge for ages while I'm playing podcasts

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Loving the phone so far, but what's the consensus on True Tone? It seems to yellow the screen a bit which leads to the illusion for a muddied looking display. I understand the purpose, but I like my crisp whites. Is everyone using this feature or are they turning it off? Just trying to get the community's take on it. Thanks!

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Loving the phone so far, but what's the consensus on True Tone? It seems to yellow the screen a bit which leads to the illusion for a muddied looking display. I understand the purpose, but I like my crisp whites. Is everyone using this feature or are they turning it off? Just trying to get the community's take on it. Thanks!
Hate it. Almost always yellows the screen.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'm using it and finding that it looks far more natural than when it's turned off. I've turned it off a couple times just to see what it's like going back, and everything just looks cold and blue. Not going back.

benji2361

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'm using it and finding that it looks far more natural than when it's turned off. I've turned it off a couple times just to see what it's like going back, and everything just looks cold and blue. Not going back.

Same here. I was a big night shift user before true tone displays were a thing though so it makes me feel right at home. I don't mind the tint on the display, and I like how it adapts to the lighting around you.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Oh god, so painful to watch

"Following a series of six drop tests of the iPhone X, gadget insurance company SquareTrade has labelled the iPhone X 'the most breakable, highest-priced, most expensive to repair iPhone ever."

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Hate it. Almost always yellows the screen.

I'm kind of with you on this one. I've always loved the pop of the white on the screen and I understand by enabling this it will adjust the tone to match your surroundings, but I'm in the office most of the day under fluorescent lighting and my screen is yellow most of the day. I typically leave Apple features turned on, since they were developed for a reason (like going to a restaurant and order a steak well done, you don't do it). I'll give it a chance but may revert to turning it off.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh god, so painful to watch

"Following a series of six drop tests of the iPhone X, gadget insurance company SquareTrade has labelled the iPhone X 'the most breakable, highest-priced, most expensive to repair iPhone ever."

They would say this. It seemed to fare pretty well in EverythingApplePro's drop test.

I'm actually not going with SquareTrade or any insurance for the phone since I've never broke a phone, although there's a first time for everything. Fingers crossed.