Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Not sure why I didn't think of this until now, but I'm looking forward to what the X's form factor means for iPads going forward, and what the True Depth system will do for both iPads and Macs.

I guess after a few days of playing with the X, I want everything else to be like it. :P

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
What are you guys using for wallpapers? Any good links?

Is anybody using their X with an all black or mostly black background? Would love to see how it looks with the OLED display.
I'm using the Live one from the ads, but toyed with these three
PTces9u.jpg

NWfOqS2.jpg

IKtsB2O.jpg

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's asking if that tweet you posted was someone else's line getting plagiarized by the guy you quoted who had posted it here word for word and unattributed. Unless that is his own Twitter account

I would be completely shocked if Overcast developer Marco Arment posted on this forum, so I'm gonna go with unattributed

Oct 25, 2017
i'm noticing how fucking close i put my phone to my face while in bed since faceID doesn't activate that close. This is what having awful vision does to you i guess.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Apple is always behind on innovations

Utter nonsense. Siri? 64 bit? Their SoC design in general? Touch ID? Face ID? True Tone?

Remember people flipped out about both Touch ID and Face ID because previous attempts by competitors were so bad that many were convinced it couldn't be done well. Delivering a broken version of a concept to market doesn't count as innovation.

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
I've caved. Now I'm just waiting for the Apple store to restock by my house so I can pick up an iphone X.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why I didn't think of this until now, but I'm looking forward to what the X's form factor means for iPads going forward, and what the True Depth system will do for both iPads and Macs.

I guess after a few days of playing with the X, I want everything else to be like it. :P
Hmm, I'm curious if they ever will made an "edge to edge" iPad. I feel like at that size you need at least a bit of bezels to hold it properly.

Tenck

Oct 27, 2017
Picking mine up on the 8th of December. Excited because I moved on to the Apple ecosystem with the iPhone 6s+ but since it was free I was stuck getting the 16GB version. I can't work with that amount of space anymore.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Utter nonsense. Siri? 64 bit? Their SoC design in general? Touch ID? Face ID? True Tone?

Remember people flipped out about both Touch ID and Face ID because previous attempts by competitors were so bad that many were convinced it couldn't be done well. Delivering a broken version of a concept to market doesn't count as innovation.
Note that Siri was developed independently by the SRI Artificiual Intelligence Center (SRI, Siri, get it?) It used speech recognition from Nuance (Dragon XXX), and was released onto the iOS App Store as an app. It got a lot of press at the time. Apple then bought that company and integrated it into iOS. I wouldn't say that's a sign of Apple innovating, just like the Face ID tech was the company that made the first Xbox Kinect, and Animoji's were another company they bought that were making the same thing for Kinect.

Many of Apple's "innovations" were seeing something cool, and then buying it so they could integrate it with iOS and keep other companies from using it.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Apple typically isn't the first to do something, but they take the extra time to do it the best.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wish Live wallpapers would automatically bounce back and forth in their animation while the phone is charging or something. It's pretty lame to have to 3D Touch them on the Lock screen to see any motion.

potato

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I should've got that one instead. The one I have now doesn't come all the way to the edges and it's kinda irking me.

I'd advise against that one. Here is someone from the MacRumors forum who got it and, his words, "avoid this screen protector like the plague."

TOZO Glass Review - MacRumors

Personally, I got the Orzly one. It should come today so Ill let everyone knows how that works out.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Mind blown at that hatred of accurate colour representation in this thread. The reason to care about it outside of a professional setting is because some of us more sophisticated users want to enjoy a picture that best represents the vision of content creators. We also don't want to sacrifice things like shadow detail for the sake of pop.

I have nothing against basic people cranking the bass on their graphic equaliser, or leaving their TVs in torch mode if that's the kind of thing that gets them off. But to actively disparage technology that appears to accurately calibrate one's display by taking ambient light into account? I despair, I really do. Philistines!

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Mind blown at that hatred of accurate colour representation in this thread. The reason to care about it outside of a professional setting is because some of us more sophisticated users want to enjoy a picture that best represents the vision of content creators. We also don't want to sacrifice things like shadow detail for the sake of pop.

I have nothing against basic people cranking the bass on their graphic equaliser, or leaving their TVs in torch mode if that's the kind of thing that gets them off. But to actively disparage technology that appears to accurately calibrate one's display by taking ambient light into account? I despair, I really do. Philistines!
Content creators don't always know best tbh. Even Louis Vuitton makes mistakes.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

As a videophile, I feel your pain.

MikeKlump

Oct 30, 2017
California
You know there's all this talk about whether the iPhone X will get a plus version next year.. I honestly don't think it will. I think that the iPhone X is a one option phone. I could see this phone getting a tad bit bigger though like maybe a quarter of an inch but keep the same proportions.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
No TrueTone bothered my eyes. Turned TrueTone back on. The warm look always takes a day to get used to but I find it better overall. Play a 4k HDR video from youtube. It looks near perfect.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Belkin screen protector at the Apple store is overpriced, but the perfect application with their little machine is priceless for me.
If i had an apple store here I would probably utilize that, but I picked up a screen protector that has black edges/bezels that looks amazing, cant even tell I have one on

Oct 25, 2017
So when I use Apple Maps while playing a podcast, it will pause the podcast when nav speaks, but it will not resume on its own. I've also got a Watch connected if that matters.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
How many times does FaceID need to fail before it reverts to passcode? Went to the supermarket just now and received a message - but I could t unlock the phone and it asked for a passcode. I tried locking and unlocking using the side button to force a rescan but it just went straight to the passcode prompt.

So after failing does it force passcode and you can't 'reset' to FaceID without it? I'd literally just put it in my pocket so I don't know how it would have failed multiple times..

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Apple just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about top and bottom bars (I'm an expert), but reachability and convenience are huge parts of it.

Apple, publicly apologize and rethink many fundamental iOS UI paradigms in the iPhone X or you can kiss your ergonomics goodbye.

MVP

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
IOS content creators use a normal PC monitor to create their content. IPhone changing the colors on its display to make them "more accurate" doesn't make them any more accurate for what the content creators saw when creating that content, because those monitors don't have "True Tone". For movies, sure that's a fair point, as long as the accuracy is based on video content and the video players aren't already trying to adjust the colors to be more accurate, and for photos it should make it seem more natural, but as something always-enabled it seems a waste.

Last edited:

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You will find that the real world has the best color reproduction of it all, and the way we perceive it changes according to ambient light. Displays have an unnatural way of displaying color, and True Tone tries to fix it. There's a reason why Apple introduced it, and it has everything to do with real, natural color accuracy.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
To those who have the phone and were concerned with the removal of the home button, can you speak to your impressions with that change so far? My phone arrives tomorrow and I'm still debating returning it since I'm equal parts excited and worried.

And a general question, is there an easy way to see what kind of performance gains I can expect moving from an iPhone 6? Or the leap in quality for the camera?

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
IOS content creators use a normal PC monitor to create their content. IPhone changing the colors on its display to make them "more accurate" doesn't make them any more accurate for what the content creators saw when creating that content, because those monitors don't have "True Tone". For movies, sure that's a fair point, as long as the accuracy is based on video content and the video players aren't already trying to adjust the colors to be more accurate, and for photos it should make it seem more natural, but as something always-enabled it seems a waste.

iOS content creators doing good work will be checking what that content looks like on a real iPhone screen, with True Tone. They will also be working with color calibrated screens on their Macs.

Finally, people working with digital graphics can know with close to 100% certainty what the colors will actually look like on the other end. People doing good iOS work will be taking this into account. It's silly to handwave this as if color management hasn't always been a big part of graphic design/publishing.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
To those who have the phone and were concerned with the removal of the home button, can you speak to your impressions with that change so far? My phone arrives tomorrow and I'm still debating returning it since I'm equal parts excited and worried.

And a general question, is there an easy way to see what kind of performance gains I can expect moving from an iPhone 6? Or the leap in quality for the camera?

I was never happy with not having a home button, but going back to my old phone to continue moving stuff over after a couple days with the X, the swipe up is such a natural gesture. While honestly I'm not blown away by the phone as a whole, the usability I think will become the easiest of all the iPhones once a bit of time has passed. Feels so fluid.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Displaymate just came out with a review of the X's screen.
The Absolute Color Accuracy of the iPhone X is Truly Impressive as shown in these Figures. It has an Absolute Color Accuracy of 1.0 JNCD for the sRGB / Red.709 Color Gamut that is used for most current consumer content, and 0.9 JNCD for the Wider DCI-P3 Color Gamut that is used for 4K UHD TVs and Digital Cinema. It is the most color accurate display that we have ever measured. It is Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect, and is very likely considerably better than any mobile display, monitor, TV or UHD TV that you have.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Navigating a phone has never been cooler than now in which swipes can do basically everything and you don't need your finger to unlock your phone or passwords to log in to apps

It's like you see in movies where they do crazy swipes and drags of windows and cards while they are tracking down James Bond tbh