• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does there need to be a Switch Pro?

• Yes. Take my money!

Votes: 720 61.4%
  • No. Save it for next gen.

Votes: 378 32.3%
  • I don't know...

Votes: 74 6.3%

• Total voters

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I just want Nintendo to release a more capable system in terms of hardware so that they can not only push their tech and expertise, but to incentive even more third-party developers to come aboard. If that means next-gen, then so be it. But since the Switch is selling like hot cakes, there's no way they'd do that, so I'll take the Switch Pro.

This and I never want to see another game at sub 720p resolution again. *Stares off into distance while remembering Xenoblade Chronicles 2*

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Unless it's TV only I don't see Switch Pro making big enough improvements to the 'home console' experience to be worth it. Not paying for a 25% bump with a higher res screen.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I used to think so, but given the giant asterisks sitting next to the Switch Lite that has the potential to confuse buyers, it probably makes sense to just replace the current Switch completely than add a third SKU. I'd rather not see too much fragmentation.

I don't get this argument. It's entirely a matter of improving IQ and performance. The games will still run on all systems. Having a pro console doesn't split or otherwise fragment the user base, it just provides consumers a choice. Do you want a Switch that's just portable and rugged and small because you only have time for gaming while commuting or at lunch? The Switch Lite is for you. Want something that you can use on the go and with your TV but image quality isn't as important as price point for you? The Switch is for you. Want the best performance and IQ because you care about that sort of thing more than most? The Pro is for you.

If anything, Nintendo has shown that they're willing to *literally* fragment their userbase with the release of the N3DS.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Nah. I mostly play exclusive games and indie tittles. The exclusive games I play are incredibly well optimized and I don't really see the need for more advance hardware at this point in the system life cycle.

I can wait for a Switch 2 or whatever it will be called.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I know that there's a not insignificant contingent of Switch owners who play exclusively undocked but I wonder what the general interest would be in some sort of upgraded dock that has tech in it that would boost stuff like processing power and resolution output? Obviously I'm making a pretty big leap in assuming something like this would even be possible I would be down for something like that. Obviously playing portably would remain unchanged but it would really just be a more dramatic version of the current dynamic. Devs really couldn't design around the added power because of Switch Lite owners (and people who don't own the new dock) which I think would actually be a good thing as it would likely avoid a New 3DS situation but you would still get the benefits of stuff like improved performance when the system is docked.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. And no company is going to willingly alienate the millions that already own a standard switch either. (How many N3DS exclusives were there?)

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I also don't see having a more powerful switch every 3ish years about being viable for ports of 3rd party games that are on the AMD twins. It's about keeping up interest in the platform.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'd prefer that a "Switch Pro" be saved for next gen. Devs shoehorning games onto Switch with no regard for performance standards is a real problem, and I can't imagine how much worse things would get if a higher-spec Switch was brought into the mix.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Jesus XB2 isn't even that bad in handheld mode, that game's handheld performance really fucked some of you up didn't it?

I was impressed when I saw it. Thought it looked great. Coming from 3DS it is a MAJOR improvement.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Please. I'd happily buy one to get better performance and resolution. Better battery life would be a plus, but balancing that with improved performance might not be feasible. I would have been interested in buying a Lite exclusively for portable play in addition to the launch unit I have hooked up to my TV if the battery life had been a substantial improvement. Now I'm hoping we end up in the unlikely scenario that we end up getting both boosts with a Pro model.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I've said yes, but would be happy for them to just mum straight to "switch 2"with full back compatability in a couple of years.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Would I buy it, most certainly. But considering that we're in Year 3 out of 5 or 6, maybe they can save the power boost for next-gen to better keep up with the PS5 & Xbox Scarlett. I guess I didn't have this perspective before, but hindsight is 20/20.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I'm in for a $299 Switch Pro day 1. I just want more power and a little bit of a sharper screen. Give me Switch Sports!

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Yeah, I would like to play BoTW at 1080p and rock solid 30fps on a Nintendo console... otherwise I'll just play it on Cemu.

p.s. gimme a home console version with no screen and such pls, I don't give a crap about portability.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there's no point, save it for next gen. people who just can't possibly deal with the fps and resolution of some of the current games can play them on switch 2 with improvements. for the vast majority of the people, they're enjoying all the games (and the ones that are going to come in the future) just fine.

the argument for more third party games is absurd. a switch pro won't lead to more third party games coming to the system, i don't know how that's even a conversation but somehow people have been talking about it for more than a year.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
What a lot of you are asking is a Switch 2 not a mid-gen refresh. They're not going to put something out that will split the userbase. You'll get higher res/better fps at best.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
I would like a system with smaller bezels and a larger battery. Doesn't even need to be more powerfull

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
As long as Switch has that thick ass bezel, it'll need a revision. Of course they could boost the CPU, but that screen size must change first.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Need? No, they don't NEED one. I'd love one, but they are selling a ton of switches without a pro model. They don't need one

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
We don't even really know what changes are being made in the "revision" so I'm not sure what the point of this thread is.

Also what are you taking about "clock speeds getting a boost recently"?

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see a need, Switch has enough power to produce a modern looking game at the resolutions it's targeting well enough. The only reason we saw mid-gen refreshes from Sony and Microsoft was because 4K TV's were becoming the default and they wanted something that could handle that resolution. There isn't a new Tegra chip that can do the same visuals at 4K, so what would a new version really be solving?

Nintendo would be better off making something like a DS Lite or New 3DS, just for the Switch. Better ergonomics, smaller size and improved battery life would push more consoles than games running at a slightly better frame rate and resolution. That is why the Switch Lite exists after all.

Last edited:

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I want it. Im not buying another Switch for upgraded clocks, that upgrade would barely be felt. I need something to make Xenoblade 2 run at 720p on portable.

What would a 400$ handheld in 2020 or 2021 be capable of?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Nintendo knows a ton of people care about portability. With the 3DS being all but dead, Nintendo needs a new truly portable device to satisfy those customers. That market will always be much larger than the market that wants more power.
Well, the Switch Lite was just announced and since that's out of the way, I'd like to see a Switch Pro now. I don't think they'll release a successor until 2022.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll be getting the rumoured Switch "Pro", aka Mariko Switch, coming this year. No other Switch Pro of any kind has been rumoured and would be weird after a big revision I feel.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Jesus XB2 isn't even that bad in handheld mode, that game's handheld performance really fucked some of you up didn't it?

I was impressed when I saw it. Thought it looked great. Coming from 3DS it is a MAJOR improvement.
3DS to Switch is one of the biggest generation jumps ever... but the 3DS was honestly pretty weak by the time it came out, thanks to its 3D gimmick.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
The Switch hardware is powerful enough for first party games and indie titles.
Games like Doom Eternal would benefit from a Switch Pro but I prefer playing those games on PS4, Xbox One and PC.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Tbh all I want is an overclocked handheld Switch. I'm not even gonna go the extra mile and say give me a 1080p screen, but down sample from 1080p on to the handheld screen (Hyrule Warriors does this, and it's gorgeous). If there was a 1080p screen and it was a 1:1 experience in handheld as it is docked, I wouldn't mind that either

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When has a console ever seen hardware upgrades and not been given a new name?

It happens to nearly every iteration of every console. PS4 Pro launch units, for example, were much noisier and hotter machines than the new ones they're making today.

The die shrink revised gpu could just be something that they quitely introduce into the main unit without changing the name.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It happens to nearly every iteration of every console. PS4 Pro launch units, for example, were much noisier and hotter machines than the new ones they're making today.

The die shrink revised gpu could just be something that they quitely introduce into the main unit without changing the name.
In which case, as I said in my post, the upgrades aren't significant enough to warrant a purchase for those who already own one, therefore a Pro is still needed.

Come on... this is a gross exaggeration.
How can "ass" be a gross exaggeration?

My definition of ass is clearly different from yours.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
You'll have a Switch home-console only version and you'll all like it.

A Switch Lite for people who want a handheld and a Switch "home" for people who only want a console to connect to their TV.

Ditch the hybrid concept for good, most people couldn't care less about it.
Switch wouldnt had sold so well if it wasnt a portable/home console combination, people on ERA were calling it a failure before it launched but the hybrid nature catched on and proved itself popular.