Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
It depends.

Not all physical discipline is the same.

As a child I got it into my head I could say fuck as much as I wanted while at a restaurant. I said it the entire time we were there, despite being told to stop. I said it all the way home in the car, and while walking into the house. I then received the one and only spanking I got in my lifetime. I never did that again.

Oct 25, 2017
We don't spank (7.5 boy, 3.4 girl) but holy hell is it obnoxious reading lay non-parents pontificate on parenting issues. If you haven't been at your wits end trying to redirect your three year old in a meltdown while you have been sleep deprived for years then frankly your beliefs on child rearing aren't worth anything to me. And we are upper middle class with daycare and resources as well as the education on how to resolve situations. These discussions always have an air of privilege and ivory tower ideals to them, frankly.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hitting a child shows that you are helpless and dont a way to deal with the situation other than demonstrating that you are the stronger person. A child when acting up is always helpless and doesnt know another way to show. If you beat that child up you emphasize that feeling.

A child running cross the street? Well, you should hit the playground more often. It needs movement. Hot plate? You can explain and talk and hit all you want, unless a child felt the warmth it wont truly understand. My sister held my niece hand close over it so she felt the heat, but not touching. My niece even panicked a bit in that very moment, but she finally understood. Powersupplies? Secure them.

Clearly, it can be a way to go if you never learned another approach, but to be honest it just shows how many problem solving skills you lack. Pity worthy.

On the other hand: People who grew up with violence often dont learn another way to deal with problems and eventually resolve them with violence, unless they are very clever and were able to develop additional skills. That's why a lot bring the argument of "it didnt harm me".

See this is exactly where I take issue. So you and your sister advocate mental duress under physical restraint (from your hot plate example), anyone can easily play such labelling games. It just shows you are helpless, lack problem solving skills and are pity worthy.

It's not nice to name call now is it. Perhaps you should understand there are other methods and lines blur between families and kids, no this does not mean abuse is ever ok.

Also wild guess here...you don't have kids of your own do you?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
holy hell is it obnoxious reading lay non-parents pontificate on parenting issues.
I mean, this is about psychology, being a parent has nothing to do with it. I'm really not sure what you are arguing here. The thread question is about the nature of physical punishment, and whether it's abuse.

If you haven't been at your wits end trying to redirect your three year old in a meltdown while you have been sleep deprived for years then frankly your beliefs on child rearing aren't worth anything to me. And we are upper middle class with daycare and resources as well as the education on how to resolve situations. These discussions always have an air of privilege and ivory tower ideals to them, frankly.
What are you even talking about. Are you saying that it's not abuse because being a parent can be so draining that it can force your hand? I don't think the vast majority of "lay non-parents" are saying that all parents who spank their kids are monsters. These parents are, however, using methods that have been shown time and time again to be suboptimal, and are considered abusive by modern standards.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. It's a retrograde practice for sure. I don't have kids, but if/when I do, I honestly couldn't fathom beating them for any reason. it's insane to me that physical punishment equating to abuse is not a common sentiment.

Oct 27, 2017
We don't spank (7.5 boy, 3.4 girl) but holy hell is it obnoxious reading lay non-parents pontificate on parenting issues. If you haven't been at your wits end trying to redirect your three year old in a meltdown while you have been sleep deprived for years then frankly your beliefs on child rearing aren't worth anything to me. And we are upper middle class with daycare and resources as well as the education on how to resolve situations. These discussions always have an air of privilege and ivory tower ideals to them, frankly.
Yeah, non-parents don't understand how difficult children can be. Sometimes you just need to unleash your frustrations on the little shits. it's very therapeutic and effective. For me.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Yes and no.

Yes because we know it doesn't work more than alternative methods and can cause trauma.

No because it is socially accepted (puke)

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, non-parents don't understand how difficult children can be. Sometimes you just need to unleash your frustrations on the little shits. it's very therapeutic and effective. For me.

Are you...

Just FYI all I really remember about childhood clearly is all the times my mum hit me for mistakes. Most which weren't my fault (unable to go toilet etc.) purely because she thought she was standing in for the father I didn't have.

Use alternative methods please there is a reason why people in this thread remember their spanking. It's literally traumatising and doesn't help.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Oooh, you almost got me there, or well, you completely had me until the second sentence.
I'm currently visiting the family and my mother (who works in a field all about child development) is currently very suspicious that he's lying about not spanking, hah. Not that I think that's the case, but I thought her reaction was hilarious

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I got backhanded once my entire life by my mom and I absolutely deserved it then. Was quite old too.

I think it is abuse when it's done to young children though

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As a parent, reading this thread is basically:

BriskUnfitCutworm-small.gif

Never BEAT your kids. But a quick slap on the butt can create silence, and you can use that silence to communicate with the kid.

The "spank" is fundamentally painless but it creates a moment of shock that can be used to initiate real education (which is done with words).

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The conflation in these repeated threads between a wrist or butt slap equates to beating the living shit out of your kids alienates any useful discussion. Literally I can feel posters withdraw from that "post reply" button while they're typing their responses. Anyone who has been exposed to actual family violence I feel for what you went through and am glad you're pushing to not perpetuate the cycle.

Oct 27, 2017

Are you saying that you're unleashing your anger and frustration onto your children?

Yes, you're completely right: I have nothing to discuss with you.

Oct 25, 2017
Oooh, you almost got me there, or well, you completely had me until the second sentence.
I'm currently visiting the family and my mother (who works in a field all about child development) is currently very suspicious that he's lying about not spanking, hah. Not that I think that's the case, but I thought her reaction was hilarious

Are you referring to me here? I'm a lawyer who has been a prosecutor and defended people charged with child abuse (not many, thank god, I have images seared in my brain of....) as well as defended juveniles that I've tried to get placed outside their homes due to abuse, in lieu of incarceration. So my perspectives are governed a bit differently than most as I have I can see my own frustrations with my own kids and deal with them as I have resources, others do not, certainly not in the us. There is a spectrum to this and labeling someone using light spanking as an abuser, a term that has criminal implications, seems to me to be a bit heavy handed. There are lines that should not be crossed, but a zero tolerance position on physical corrective measures strikes me as not helpful or realistic in many situations.

Oct 25, 2017
Are you saying that you're unleashing your anger and frustration onto your children?

Yes, you're completely right: I have nothing to discuss with you.

I don't get angry with my children. I do get frustrated. I would be stunned if anyone did not get frustrated with their children's misbehavior. Kids are hard, there are no perfect parents out there. Luckily my son rarely needs correction, just redirection, these days and my daughter, well we're working through the threes. Never had to spank them. Never called them names or other emotionally abusive tactics. Our faults lie on the bribing end I fear. Ive been blessed frankly, no real abnormal behavioral issues. But I can see how people who are less fortunate than I can resort to physical corrective measures. But again, there is a line between light spanking and beating, at least from my perspective as a parent and a lawyer who has dealt with these issues professionally.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Are you referring to me here? I'm a lawyer who has been a prosecutor and defended people charged with child abuse (not many, thank god, I have images seared in my brain of....) as well as defended juveniles that I've tried to get placed outside their homes due to abuse, in lieu of incarceration. So my perspectives are governed a bit differently than most as I have I can see my own frustrations with my own kids and deal with them as I have resources, others do not, certainly not in the us. There is a spectrum to this and labeling someone using light spanking as an abuser, a term that has criminal implications, seems to me to be a bit heavy handed. There are lines that should not be crossed, but a zero tolerance position on physical corrective measures strikes me as not helpful or realistic in many situations.
I think that many people are not using "child abuse" as a legal term, but rather as a descriptor in accordance with experts on child development. It's something to be avoided, and while there are shades, there's this spectrum you mention, and people who can't help themselves because they are at their wit's end aren't monsters, I think there is nothing wrong with labelling the behaviour "abuse".

My mother and I agree with you that a lack of recourses and the right(wrong) circumstances can lead to this behaviour, which does not make the parents criminals. But zero tolerance on physical measures is more feasible than you think, I believe.

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Kids are so addicted to devices nowadays so restricting device usage is pretty effective punishment. I'm willing to bet if you gave a kid the option to get spanked or take away their phone/tablet/console/computer they'd choose to get spanked instead lol.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It depends.
A beating is obviously always wrong.

Physical punishment in general is a big no.

But sometimes you need to assert physical dominance. Restraining them, yanking their arm to keep walking, forcing them onto the 'naughty mat'. I'm not going to patiently discuss with my son why continuously hitting me in the face is not how society works, as he is doing it. You need to kill that first and make him cool down before he's able to listen anyway. This is physically unpleasant for the kid. The current prevailing wisdom is psychological warfare. I think it's probably only slightly better than a butt slap. So I'm not going to question a parent who infrequently uses one.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Yes and even if your parents did it to you and you still turned out fine that doesn't mean it's not abuse today.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
As a parent I think it's fundamentally wrong, hypocritical, dangerously associates discipline with pain and displays a complete lack of interest in problem solving when there's shitloads of information and methods available to reinforce good behaviour and discourage the bad. Discipline isn't just in the moment of the punishment given, something that can easily get out of control if it's all reliant on pain inflicted in a single moment, it's in the warnings and events leading up to it and after it too, and it's a damn sight harder to put things in perspective long term when you've leapt straight off the deep end to having one party in pain and terrified, something that doesn't encourage a predictable response or a long-term sense of safety. We don't let kids (or adults) attack animals and often we say 'you could hurt them easily', it's the same with kids. There's also a big reasoning difference in emotional resilience between them considering at night 'what if I lose my favourite possessions for a while' and 'what if my mum/dad loses control while hitting me'.

I don't care whether people like to split hairs between a slap and a full-on beating with weapons, relying on physical pain and fear (wait till your father gets home etc) is parenting reduced to nothing more than instant gratification and domination based on greater physical power. We largely manage to reinforce boundaries and a sliding scale of justice resolved, if not amicably, then at least safely, as adults without resorting to kicking the shit out of each other, which is seen as the complete loss of control and the event horizon where minor disagreement/punishment/restorative concession spills over into risk of serious injury and serious punishment. We are all aware of this, we can look up the logical consequences of minor infractions. Restricting access to things and activities based on prior, clear warnings is what I do. 'If you do that again, x item/trip etc is being removed'. It's done calmly, with forewarning of consequences, no negotiation, but also draws a line under the event and a visable limit of the consequences. It also reinforces that we are parents who stick to our word, are firm in our authority, are predictable/reliable, don't hold grudges and don't lose it. It's hard to be predictable when the threat is 'I'm going to attack you, and if you hit me back it'll make it worse for you'. That sounds a lot like bullying to me.

I don't think I could hit my daughter without thinking that I had completely failed not just in the moment as a loss of control, but also over a long period of time as a parent with a whole library of options and strategies available to raise a child over a period of years.

Just on the subject of toddlers, over the last few years we've been exhausted, running on little sleep and pushed towards the end of our tether by lengthy tantrums in public that resist any form of logic and reason while they burn through. At that point, I tend to view physically dealing with the tantrum in the moment, as it's a loss of control, and further discipline regarding using it as a tactic to get what she wants as almost two seperate issues. I get her to somewhere she can cool off and regain control first, and then once we've reached somewhere safe, the act of doing so often burning a lot of the energy out, then we talk about it. Of course it's extremely frustrating and has cost me an hour here and there, but ultimately has led to less tantrums and more ability for her to articulate why it happened and for me to explain why it never gets her want she wants (and also discuss consequences for any warnings given in the moments immediately prior the meltdown) in a controlled environment where she has regained the ability to understand. Consistency and remaining calm (and keeping a sense of humour regarding toddler logic when all is lost) are what led to results, it's fucking hard when you're shattered and carrying loads of stuff though. I've been almost in tears some nights after tucking her in after a particularly trying day.

I think taking away privileges works better in the modern era, but you gotta be firm about it
Essentially this. You need to be firm and clear and also, if there are two of you as parents, not undermine each other or have one of you as 'the good cop'. I found that really hard to start with, I'm a big softy compared to my wife, perhaps because she's a bit more aware of the tactics in how a girl might wrap her dad around her little finger :D I have since been educated.

Last edited:

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
Yes. It's child abuse. The fact that it is coming from a parent, the one who a child would see as someone they should trust the most, makes it all the more heartbreaking and disturbing.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Light spank is not child abuse.

Taking a belt or inflicting actual pain is.
How are you giving a 'light spank' without inflicting 'actual pain'? Are you suggesting that short-term pain isn't actual pain? Are you redefining pain as solely 'long-term pain following physical injury' rather than 'stinging pain felt just in the moment, like a slap'? The point of a 'light spank' is surely short-term pain, and yes, hitting someone with the intention of causing them pain is abuse.

Where I've heard these arguments in the past, drawing the line at whether it leaves a physical mark or not has often sounded like someone thinking that lack of physical evidence means it can't be abuse, which is a line of logic that, if followed, seems to care more about any further consequences for the hypothetical abuser than the mental and physical damage to the child.

Last edited:

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yes. It's ineffective and antiquated. All it did was sow distrust and embolden me to lie to prevent future punishment, no matter how small I perceived the infraction. It took years before I felt comfortable being completely honest with my parents because of it.

Hitting your child just shows you have a deficiency in your child rearing. It's comical how many so called progressives will still hit a kid because they probably experienced it growing up. I'm not going to pass on this shitty parenting tactic on to my child. It's unfathomable to even think about striking her, no matter how 'light' or how I personally justify it.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't hit my children. Never have, never will. I think it's counter productive and unhealthy.

However, as a parent, whilst I don't condone hitting children at all, I can understand why you might. Kids are amazing but they can really try you in ways you never imagined.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I just get this nagging feeling that if children were born larger than their parents this kind of 'constuctive violence' would be far rarer.

Chomp_Shark

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Yes!
My arguments with my 5 year old is sometimes so intence that i physical remove him to another room, but even that I regret and feel bad about.

In Sweden were i live its been illegal to hit children since 1966!

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It depends.
A beating is obviously always wrong.

Physical punishment in general is a big no.

But sometimes you need to assert physical dominance. Restraining them, yanking their arm to keep walking, forcing them onto the 'naughty mat'. I'm not going to patiently discuss with my son why continuously hitting me in the face is not how society works, as he is doing it. You need to kill that first and make him cool down before he's able to listen anyway. This is physically unpleasant for the kid. The current prevailing wisdom is psychological warfare. I think it's probably only slightly better than a butt slap. So I'm not going to question a parent who infrequently uses one.

I have this exact situation with my brother's 3 year old, he hits my 9 year old son, bites his 2 year old sister, hits my brother in the face etc and doesn't get a butt or wrist slap. It's been that way for a year and it's never ending with a laundry list of what he does.

My 9 year old son and 6 year old daughter have dealt with the repercussions of that parenting style where my brother's child isn't responding to any parenting book checklist, day care techniques and positive or negative behavioural science method attempted. My bros 2 year old daughter on the other hand is an angel. Literally every family event my son/daughter deal with the younger boy kicking, hair pulling, toy stealing, attention seeking behaviour and worse. My brother does 99% as "he should". It's not enough and he chooses to not physically correct anything. Just this last weekend we had interstate family at a big BBQ and repeatedly their 3yr son does the same again. So after 4 hours of on and off parenting vs the boy misbehaving my bros kid kicks my son in the arm again behind backyard bushes. My son had enough, he pushed him over and crying to daddy occurs. This was the 6th incident that day, let alone how many more behind the scenes.

Now did I verbally let my son know that was wrong? Yes. Make him apologises in front of everyone? Yes. Did I tell my bro his kid is out of control and I'm happy to help any way he'll accept? Yes. Has this changed in 12 months of family events? No. Did I physically punish my son? No. Would I have if he was 3 years old and acted like my brother's child has extensively? Yes, you bet I would.

So I also told my son if a child or a parent can't stop themselves then yes protect yourself, keep your emotions in check and be mindful of the age/force difference but after so many repeat behaviours I lack empathy for my brother and his son. My son removed himself many times, bros son kept at it. There are consequences, if it doesn't come from a parent you can bank on family, school and society dealing that dominant hand swiftly.

Back to the thread, do you really think kids themselves are going to avoid physical or mental behaviours their whole life? How far do you let passive methods go before you simply protect yourself or a scenario resolution for safety before you simply put a dominant end to it? My children learn there are consequences to their actions and others should be accountable for their actions too. They'll learn that from many people throughout their lives, not all are adults in a passive mindset. Other children certainly aren't a heck a lot of the time either.

My brother is working with his son, do I force my ideals on them? No. Would I like to see results faster than 12 months and every family event affected? Yes. Lines blurred in our family I guess. At the end of the day we all get along just fine and have fun for the most part. I've been around enough families and kids to not drop 100% blame on my brother and his wife, some kids are rough man, doesn't mean my children have to burden the brunt of that for years.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Apart from anything else it's a fucking terrible example to set for your kids. If someone doesn't do right the best way to sort it is through violence. Fuck that.

I have 2 kids, 9 and 4, never once have I lifted a finger. Our naughty step has been employed to good effect though and at the moment I have 2 polite lovely well behaved kids who I'm incredibly proud of.

Spanking, whooping, beating is wrong and it has been proven by numerous studies to be an ineffective method of parenting.

The problem is we live in a post truth world where "natural instinct" trumps scientific research.

Nov 18, 2017
As a kid who got smacked on the bum very rarely, it did act as a deterrent for me.

I knew there was a red line of disobedience that might result in it a smack, and I would try to avoid it. I did not consider this child abuse.
It was initially used if I ran off, for example, as an urgent safety thing, but I do think there were a couple of occasions where it was applied excessively.
I don't think this had any major psychological effects on me, but perhaps it was harmful.

Ultimately, smacking is a shortcut. And sometimes parents need shortcuts, but I can understand the reasons for applying the law here. It's not quite black and white though, imo.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I had a few beatings when I was a kid, it wasn't really the pain that hit me, but the fact that my mom was clearly so distressed that she couldn't find another way of handling me. It was the guilt of disappointing my mom to that level that caused me to cry, so it did work in making me change my behaviour. There's a clear separation for me between a little spanking in extreme moments, and regular abuse.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Always wonder what folk on here would do with their rowdy 13 year old is violently destroying property and assaulting them and others.

"Please stop. Please."

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I had a few beatings when I was a kid, it wasn't really the pain that hit me, but the fact that my mom was clearly so distressed that she couldn't find another way of handling me. It was the guilt of disappointing my mom to that level that caused me to cry, so it did work in making me change my behaviour. There's a clear separation for me between a little spanking in extreme moments, and regular abuse.
Right but you can show your disappointment in your kids behaviour without resorting to spanking. Naught steps or timeout spots work. I guess there us an element of nature vs nurture and the poster whose brother has a little Damien sounds really unfortunate in his kids behaviour, but generally giving kids a warning when their behaviour is naughty then if the behaviour continues giving them a timeout works.

I've found as they get older that withholding pocket money for poor behaviour is also effective.