• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does the Avenger's theme rank among the most iconic movie themes?

• Yes

Votes: 638 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 688 45.9%
  • Not now but it will be

Votes: 172 11.5%

• Total voters

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Eight notes of the Avengers theme are iconic. Very few people could recognize it without that part. Unlike Williams' Superman theme or Elfman's Batman

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's somewhat recognizable for those that already big fans of these movies.

I very much doubts it ranks with stuff like Superman, Star Wars or The Godfather themes, either in quality or popularity.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a few years ago but the trailers, repetition, and variations of the last few years have undoubtedly pushed it to iconic.

But it's not on the level of Star Wars.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Maybe once it's been in more than 2 movies.

It's nowhere near Superman / Star Wars / Bond / Indiana Jones. Like not even remotely close.

It's not even that close to Mission Impossible / Pirates of the Caribbean / Star Trek, yet.

But it will be. It will be.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Was there a theme?

Fucked if I can remember.

EDIT: I just listened to it and forgot it as soon as it finished. Not unlike the films then.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It won't be as remembered once those movies are out from the center of the cultural zeitgeist, unlike the others mentioned in the thread title. There are also better examples from this century, like LOTR, Harry Potter, or Pirates. Maybe even Game of Thrones.

Last edited:

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
It's more of a motif than a theme imo. Like, yeah once it happens in the movie (like during Thor's entrance) you kind of feel something, but it's not as easily recognisable as, say, Star Wars' BAA BABABAAAAM

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Whoever says no is absolutely out of their minds. It is iconic and if it's not deemed iconic now, it will be in the future. Hearing that theme gives me fucking goosebumps, no matter if it's in a trailer like we got the other day or in any of the movies. You hear The Avengers theme, it makes you instantly think of them. How is that not iconic all in it's own?

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It's too forgettable. I'm trying to think of it right now and it's not coming to mind. The other examples in the title are immediately remembered, except Batman.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whoever says no is absolutely out of their minds. It is iconic and if it's not deemed iconic now, it will be in the future. Hearing that theme gives me fucking goosebumps, no matter if it's in a trailer like we got the other day or in any of the movies. You hear The Avengers theme, it makes you instantly think of them. How is that not iconic all in it's own?
Because a lot cannot recgonize the theme? You recognizing doesn't make it iconic.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
What parts of the elfman batman theme are that much more recognizable? I honestly don't know how many people I could ask right now to just hum that.
My point isn't that people can hum it. My point us that you can start Elfman's Batman theme or Williams' Superman theme from any point and people will figure out what they are fairly quickly.

Meanwhile, if you play any part of the Avengers theme without those 8 notes, few people will recognize it as the Avengers theme.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're asking the wrong demographic. A lot of us are nostalgic about the 90s because that's when we were kids/teens so that's why we like the Jurassic Park and Batman theme. A lot of us grew up with Star Wars because of the 90s rereleases so it's more or less from the same time.
Then there's just a ton of people who will lie because they don't like the MCU.

That being said, I don't think anything will ever touch the Star Wars theme. It's on a whole other level.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
The only memorable part is the 15 seconds from 1:25 - 1:40. The rest of the song is forgettable. It really can't touch the other themes mentioned.
That's all it takes. That's the part of the theme blaring on the most memorable parts of the Avengers movies (the first Assemble, Thor arriving, the title cards of the trailers, etc).

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it's as iconic as the themes listed, but I think it could get to that level. Marvel has been doing a good job pushing it in promotional material.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guarantee you people under 30 could see a picture of Goku and tell you where that's from.
You say this because you know who Goku is and probably talk DB with other folks. I can easily say people know what World of Warcraft is but most do not. Same with a lot of things that are in-genre popular.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you ever try Lego Avengers, the song plays like crazy, it gets stuck in your head lol. It's definitely up there, maybe not on the same tier level as the other ones listed, but it definitely has a iconic presence. That emotional feeling you get when the theme hits during the scene in Wakanda in Infinity War when Thor arrives, it kinda does strike how powerful and memorable the theme can be.

Last edited:

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I'd also argue that Black Panther added the second iconic theme into the MCU:

Song gives me chills.
The moment it kicked in during Infinity War I feel everyone instantly knew what was about to happen.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Do you like Avengers (or MCU), like really, really much? Like do you watch the movies multiple times? That could be the reason for the disconnect. People who just watch and maybe enjoy the movies might not find it iconic, while people who live and breathe Marvel soil their pants while hearing it.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
It's not as iconic as those other themes because those other ones are so ingrained in various areas of pop culture and not only with the films they come from. You could put the Avengers theme in another piece of media and it wouldn't stand out as the Avengers theme. Whereas you hear Superman's theme in absolutely any other piece of content and you know exactly what it is.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Quoting myself from yesterday's dead thread:

I'm not a big music guy, but all that old stuff is instantly recognizable. Superman, Star Wars, James Bond, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park.

But mix up MCU music with a bunch of big-budget movies, and I probably couldn't even pick it out. Hell, I just listened to the links in the OP, and I still can't hum the Avengers theme. It has no catch. I literally clicked on the thread in order to find out what the theme is. I didn't even know there was one.

I'm a huge MCU fan, but I don't even notice the music. It's just...there.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
The Avengers theme is incredible but it is not to the level of Superman and Star Wars. Those themes are embedded in pop culture.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
You know, a good test is to listen to a single instrument rendition of the theme. If it still works or not. So I suggest everyone type in the theme you want and add violin to it in YouTube.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wait you guys are honestly telling me that when this plays you don't instantly recognize this as MOS theme?

I know the film was divisive but the music is both awesome and instantly recognizable

no idea where this plays

if you didnt tell me it was the mos theme i would never knew