Votes: 147 5.9%

• Total voters

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
For me the best are:
1. Wii U GamePad
2. DualSense
3. Switch Pro Controller = Xbox One S controller = Wii U Pro controller

As a portable gamer I would have also put the Joy-Cons because I really how much they pack-in, how flexible they make gaming, and I overall like the concept. But I cannot in good faith include it here until they fix the drift issues. I would also give honorable mentions to GameCube controller, Xbox 360 controller, and Wii Remote and Nunchuck combo, SNES gamepad, original Playstation controller; at some point these were all among my favourites but I feel they have been succeeded by something better.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yes, a controller in 2020 not being rechargeable is a joke.
I WISH Sony would allow AA batteries in the DualSense. High capacity rechargeable batteries are like $15 and I can play 2-3 weeks without changing them out. The DS4 battery life was the real joke and the DualSense isn't much better. A 70 dollar controller having non working batteries after a few years sucks no matter how you slice it.

For the vote: I like the Series X controller better but only slightly, in terms of design I think the DualSense is pretty awesome other than the battery thing above but asymmetric sticks win the day for me most of the time.

Last edited:

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The SX/SS/One Controller is my favorite. The Dualsense comes at second place (huge improvement from the DS4), but the fact it still has aligned analog sticks hold it back. I also though the Dualsense features were greatly overhyped. The novelty didn't last long for me, even as I was playing through Astrobot.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I'm confident that the Xbox Elite Series 3 will be the best controller ever when it inevitably comes out

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
We need more time. Long-term quality is an important part of how good a controller is.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
This forum skews more towards the Sony side, so the results are always going to be a bit Sony heavy. I didn't expect the Dualsense to get so many votes, let alone be leading the pack 4 pages of discussion in.

I like the Dualsense more than the Xbox controllers I've used (Duke-One) but if the Series controller is an iteration of that same, redesign, I'm inclined to say I would prefer the Dualsense.

I think the strength of the Xbox controllers is that they are very comfortable to hold, durable, and compatible with a wider range of devices out of the box. But they tend to lag behind Sony and Nintendo when it comes to features like vibration and motion controls. I would love for MS to update the Xbox controller to build-in some of these features (namely motion controls, the new vibration system, and adaptive triggers) and make them compatible on Windows as well as Xbox. That would put the Xbox controllers over the top for me.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I think the strength of the Xbox controllers is that they are very comfortable to hold, durable, and compatible with a wider range of devices out of the box. But they tend to lag behind Sony and Nintendo when it comes to features like vibration and motion controls. I would love for MS to update the Xbox controller to build-in some of these features (namely motion controls, the new vibration system, and adaptive triggers) and make them compatible on Windows as well as Xbox. That would put the Xbox controllers over the top for me.

That's not necessarily always true, XBOX One had rumble triggers before Sony and Nintendo upped their game. Microsoft didn't end up doing much this generation, but the tradeoff is you'll be able to get an XBOX Series controller much cheaper than the competition.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Good post. Dual sense needs series d-pad. Series controllers need haptic feedback and gyro. Perfect controllers. If the Dual sense at the very least had dual shock d-pad I'd be satisfied. Playing sonic mania on PS5 I wasn't feeling the d-pad at all.
Exactly. I love that Sony worked on the build quality of their controller. It's really a night and day difference between the Dualshock 4 and the Dualsense. But the dpad just feels so mushy. I don't even play a lot of games that heavily use the dpad, but navigating menus alone with the dpad doesn't feel great.

The Series controller with gyro and haptic feedback, also the same trigger tech as the Dualsense would be amazing. While I'm sure they are looking into these features, I doubt we'll get a controller revision anytime soon. Also launching another controller with extra features on the side wouldn't make too much sense, because devs will know about the smaller adoption rate of the enhanced controller. So we'll probably get a controller overhaul with completely new consoles at the earliest, but with MS not believing in generations, who knows when that will be. I can't really imagine any scenario where MS will release their own controller with these features.

I know people weren't too happy about it, but I like that Sony dropped support for PS4 controllers on PS5 games and came up with a truly innovative, new controller that every single PS5 owner has. Hopefully this will make devs support the thing in as many games as possible. Playing racing games for example feels totally transformative with the Dualsense. It doesn't quite reach the immersion of playing with a wheel with force feedback of course, but it honestly gives you a glimpse of this experience. Playing WRC9 is super fun, mainly due to the trigger and haptics support.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
The problem I have with 6 face buttons is that you can't have your thumb over all of them at the same time.

It's six button layout was literally how arcades were. And if was playing an original genesis game, the original 3 button layout was side by side. In short, this was never a problem.

The d-pad, the fit, and the button layout were literal perfection which has never been topped.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good post. Dual sense needs series d-pad. Series controllers need haptic feedback and gyro. Perfect controllers. If the Dual sense at the very least had dual shock d-pad I'd be satisfied. Playing sonic mania on PS5 I wasn't feeling the d-pad at all.

My DualShock 4 d-pad and DualSense d-pad are practically exactly the same, in feel, response, noise, travel etc. Literally the only real difference I could tell between them is that the DualSense d-pad directional button ends stick out a little less in depth at the tips, but I much prefer both to the clickety angular barrel that is the Series X d-pad.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I love the Switch Pro. It feels so good in my hands. But it is so weird they fucked up the dpad, especially after having such a great dpad on the wii u game pad and wii u pro. But the weight of the switch pro feels better than the wii u pro, and it has gyro. I don't use the dpad anymore much except for item management in most games but for platformers it would probably bother me.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
My DualShock 4 d-pad and DualSense d-pad are practically exactly the same, in feel, response, noise, travel etc. Literally the only real difference I could tell between them is that the DualSense d-pad directional button ends stick out a little less in depth at the tips, but I much prefer both to the clickety angular barrel that is the Series X d-pad.
The best of all of them is the Vita d-pad, though. Supremely clicky AND quiet. Feels more premium than either the Dualshock/sense OR Xbox controllers.

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
It's a great controller but the Dualsense is amazing, also i don't like playing Fifa on it, i'm not a fan of the bumpers
I have to say going from a Dual Shock 4 which I loved to a Series X controller, the triggers and bumpers are much better in my opinion. Especially the triggers. I haven't felt the DualSense but they look similar to the Dual Shock's so I'm most likely not going to be impressed. I've played Fifa 21 on it and love it as well. Only thing I would change is adding haptic feedback and aligning the analog sticks.

where the hell is the gamecube controller

edit: wait, is the Xbox Series controller seriously running on AA batteries?! Still?! PLEASE tell me I'm mistaken. Honestly what in the fuck. This is likely a deal-breaker for someone who has been contemplating purchasing one.

I know the gamecube controller should have gone in there tbh. As well the switch. I'll tell you, I got the rechargable batteries as well as a pack of AA. Having the option is amazing and in that regard I think the Series X controller has better charging options.

funny how 5 people voted for the ps4 because that's how many I went through and I don't even play many action games. that controller is garbage. meanwhile I bought a xbox one controller at launch, I've dropped it a bunch of times, and it's still kicking.

I loved the DualShock 4 but tbh they were built to fail so they could earn money on extra controllers.

Feels good in the hand but I prefer symmetric thumbsticks for FPS. So dual sense has my preference.

Actually its the reverse for me, I prefer symmetric for Fighting games, Fifa, etc but for FPS I prefer the asymmetric. Using the analog stick to traverse while having the four input buttons on the right is perfect. Overall I think the symmetric is better tbh.

The DualSense is a nice upgrade from the DS4, but my hands get tired from holding it and I have pretty large hands. The Series X controller is much more comfortable and doesn't make my hands tired like the DualSense.

I wonder how many have tried both and not coming in with fanboy votes. I can guarantee not many have tried both that voted.
Lol that is possible. I think for me the DualSense just doesn't look as good as the DualShock 4 and surprising that Sony went with a larger console. On the other hand I prefer the size of the thumbpad on the Sony controllers so I bought a small thumb grip that makes the Series X controller perfect for my thumbs.

Who is the one person who voted for PS3?

Own up.

Lol we need to find them! I remember using the DualShock and then holding the PS3 and couldn't believe how bad it felt.

The D-pad on the Series controller puts it below the Xbox One for me, it's a downgrade unfortunately.

Surprising! What haven't you liked about it? I was playing MK 11 and had no issues whatsoever. Actually I can input commands better with it. Luckily you can still get an Xbox One controller.

It's a toss up between the Series controller and the Dualsense for me. Both feel amazing in my hands. The Dualsense has some mindblowing features that enhance my gaming experience if used in the right way by a dev, but I'm not the biggest fan of its d-pad. Honestly a Dualsense with the Series d-pad would be close to my dream controller. But both are amazing. I'm not too fussed about the whole asymmetric debate, I can quickly adapt to both styles of controllers so I also like to use both. Dualsense for all things PS5, Series controller for all things PC because I got the wireless dongle. The Switch Pro Controller is also great.

Honestly I was surprised at how quickly I adapted to asymmetrical analog sticks! Its not as big a deal as I thought although I still think symmetrical is better.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tried the DualSense yet, and while I'm sure the features it has are really nice, I don't think it'll be as comfortable as the Xbox controller in terms of shape and layout.

Plus those parts bin analog sticks from the PS4 are going to wear out.

DualSense is also ugly and overdesigned, Series controller has a classy and timeless design.

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
It's probably my favourite but the Switch comes very close for form factor.

I personally love the AAs because they last for ages and I use a lot of rechargeables for my microphones I use for work so I always have a few spares around.

I tried the dual sense at a release event and liked the internal tech but I didn't like the feel of the controller. Asymmetrical sticks all the way.

Oct 28, 2017
The dual sense is definitely my fav controller as of now. The ergonomics are fantastic with just the right weight. Love the clicky buttons and traditional d-pad. And then there's all the cool tech in there that really elevates the game experience when used right. Borderlands 3 feels like a new game to me due to the way every gun handles differently.

Dec 31, 2017
Xbox has always been better in every way when it comes to comfort and how it handles, symmetrical sticks be damned, both Nintendo and MS have seen the light that is asymmetrical thank god! Good reason why both the Series X and Pro controller somehow look alike; because that's how a good controller should be designed.

But hey, Sony leaning forum so does anyone actually expect people to vote for a controller that isn't from their preferred system?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's hilarious how this
Xbox has always been better in every way when it comes to comfort and how it handles, symmetrical sticks be damned, both Nintendo and MS have seen the light that is asymmetrical thank god! Good reason why both the Series X and Pro controller somehow look alike; because that's how a good controller should be designed.

But hey, Sony leaning forum so does anyone actually expect people to vote for a controller that isn't from their preferred system?

It's hilarious how this argument keeps popping up every now and again despite not having any merit based on past polls that have taken place on Era. I suppose it's easier to make excuses than to simply admit more people might actually prefer a certain thing over another thing lol.

I've seen people routinely state this in GOTY threads too (eg GOTY awards are simply a popularity contest), even though none of the most popular and best selling games of the year are actually winning the key awards lol (eg Animal Crossing, Fall Guys, Among Us, Call of Duty Cold War and FIFA 21).

I doubt that, given this forum has considerably more PS4 owners to Xbox One owners, but the Xbox One controller beats the DualShock 4 in Era polls. Cases in point.

www.resetera.com

Which console has the better controller: XB1 or PS4?

Let's see which of these two controllers this forum prefers overall. In addition to voting in the poll, please respond to the thread with your thoughts on which controller has the better... COMFORT, BUILD QUALITY, BUTTONS, D-PAD, TRIGGERS, ANALOG STICKS, and UNIQUE FEATURES*. *for the PS4...

www.resetera.com

[Poll] Which controller do you prefer: Switch Pro Controller, Dual Shock 4 or Xbox One S Controller?

We are reaching the end of the generation and I have managed to have the controllers of the big three. They are right in front of me. I think they are amazing and Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony have made an amazing job this gen. My personal vote goes for the Switch Pro Controller because I...

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
Missing gyro is a big deal, but it's the most comfortable controller to hold. DualSense is really not great for long term play. It's just too heavy and a touch too big (though infinitely better than any past PS controller).

It's probably between the Switch Pro and the Series for me.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
I just got my PS5 today so I was able to finally spend some time with the DualSense. For reference, I primarily use an Xbox Elite Series 2 for PC and also own one of the most recent revisions of the Xbox controller.

As far as features go, DualSense wins hands down. Gyro, rumble, and the adaptive triggers are all amazing features and I get the hype now. But if we're just talking feel, Xbox wins easily. Everything is perfectly spaced (for my hands at least) and the texture and grip on the plastic is one of those things where it doesn't seem like a big deal, but you miss it when it's gone. As much as I like the DualSense, it's just a touch too big and I much prefer asymmetrical sticks.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I just got my PS5 today so I was able to finally spend some time with the DualSense. For reference, I primarily use an Xbox Elite Series 2 for PC and also own one of the most recent revisions of the Xbox controller.

As far as features go, DualSense wins hands down. Gyro, rumble, and the adaptive triggers are all amazing features and I get the hype now. But if we're just talking feel, Xbox wins easily. Everything is perfectly spaced (for my hands at least) and the texture and grip on the plastic is one of those things where it doesn't seem like a big deal, but you miss it when it's gone. As much as I like the DualSense, it's just a touch too big and I much prefer asymmetrical sticks.
Does the Elite Series 2 have a sort of rubberized grip? If so, my Sport Red XB1 controller has that on some of the back and it's indeed very nice feeling.

0SA9S5.jpg

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I haven't used the Dual Sense controller yet, but I'd say the Switch Pro controller is my favorite currently even after using the XSX but it's not too far behind it.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
SN30 Pro+ followed by Switch Pro for me. And since I can move my left thumb more than 10 deg sideways without issues, switching between symmetric and asymmetric sticks has never been an issue.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I like the Stadia controller better overall. I do love the new ps5 features minus the light. The series x controller has a much better d-pad imo.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont like what they did with the dpad (with series x). So no.
But its much better than ps5 broken dpad and misplaced analog stick. I would say in terms of shape, i still prefer the switch pro. Pushing L & R triggers on my xbox one controller dont feel natural as postion. Yet again, its still much better as the ps5 controller. I do find that sony did made the right choice to copy google stadia shape design. So that already a step forward.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
My favorite for comfort, button size/placement, and joysticks is the Switch Pro controller. Wish it had analog triggers and stronger rumble though. PS5 controller is second. I have yet to try the smaller SX controller but it seems good enough. I own an XBO controller for my PC and it's an improvement over the 360 controller for sure.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I dont like what they did with the dpad (with series x). So no.
But its much better than ps5 broken dpad and misplaced analog stick. I would say in terms of shape, i still prefer the switch pro. Pushing L & R triggers on my xbox one controller dont feel natural as postion. Yet again, its still much better as the ps5 controller. I do find that sony did made the right choice to copy google stadia shape design. So that already a step forward.
I find the idea that Sony chose in 2019 to look at the Stadia controller and then start designing the Dualsense kind of laughable, to be honest. And what's broken about the Dualsense dpad? Unless you just mean your specific controller is broken.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yep, feels so good I don't even care that I can still use my old controllers, I bought an extra one cause I don't want to go back.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
It's hilarious how this

It's hilarious how this argument keeps popping up every now and again despite not having any merit based on past polls that have taken place on Era. I suppose it's easier to make excuses than to simply admit more people might actually prefer a certain thing over another thing lol.

I've seen people routinely state this in GOTY threads too (eg GOTY awards are simply a popularity contest), even though none of the most popular and best selling games of the year are actually winning the key awards lol (eg Animal Crossing, Fall Guys, Among Us, Call of Duty Cold War and FIFA 21).

Agree completely.