gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Toads are seen wearing hats on top of their bulbs in the Mushroom Kingdom and some talk about wearing these hats as if it's a hot new fad (implying the bulbs were not considered to be hats)

A Bonneter NPC (aka Cappy's species) "captured" a Toad without taking off his head bulb. Bonneters can only rest on a bare head.

Also, there's the Toads that wear headphones on their bulbs located throughout the game. How does it listen to its music?

Where does Era side on this? I'm #TeamHead.
It's a plothole. That's definitely a hat. But Toad would look weird as hell with a bare head.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I think the mushroom is his head, otherwise they are wearing hats on their hats in SMO and that's fucken weird

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Also, there's the Toads that wear headphones on their bulbs located throughout the game. How does it listen to its music?

mgs2_34_ddc.jpg

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
I'd like some ages attached to those who are claiming the mushroom cap is part of Toad's head – anyone who grew up watching the Super Mario Bros. Super Show had the truth drilled into our minds that it's just a hat.

Nintendo tried to pull this kind of revisionist history a couple of years ago by saying the Koopalings weren't actually Bowser's children after all, when that's how they were introduced and presented for years across the cartoons and games. I'm beginning to understand the frustrations of '70s Star Wars fans with the "Greedo shoots first" debacle 20 years ago when George Lucas edited that scene to be different that what they saw in theaters in 1977.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The Super Mario Bros Super Show was distributed by Dic.

They were dicking with you.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo tried to pull this kind of revisionist history a couple of years ago by saying the Koopalings weren't actually Bowser's children after all, when that's how they were introduced and presented for years across the cartoons and games.
The Koopalings are not Bowser's kids, SMB 3 is a stage production and Ludwig and the rest are actors playing the parts of Bower's kids.

Neonvisions

Oct 27, 2017
That joke from Toad is him making fun of the fact that people think it is a hat. He is saying "and neither of us wants to see that." because the reality would horrific as he would rip the top of his head off.

Ha- no. It means no one wants to see his bald ugly head. Not that his head would rip off. Come on now. Lol

Sly Chimera

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's like the sneetches. There was a group with mushroom heads and others with no mushroom heads. Then somebody came and gave them mushroom hats now nobody who is who.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like some ages attached to those who are claiming the mushroom cap is part of Toad's head – anyone who grew up watching the Super Mario Bros. Super Show had the truth drilled into our minds that it's just a hat.

Nintendo tried to pull this kind of revisionist history a couple of years ago by saying the Koopalings weren't actually Bowser's children after all, when that's how they were introduced and presented for years across the cartoons and games. I'm beginning to understand the frustrations of '70s Star Wars fans with the "Greedo shoots first" debacle 20 years ago when George Lucas edited that scene to be different that what they saw in theaters in 1977.

I grew up watching the Super Show. But I realize that a property licensed out to a third party from a different country doesn't mean shit. Do you want to take ANY part of the Bob Hoskins movie as canon? #TeamHead

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the video game version of the AD chicken dance? Has anyone on this forum ever even seen a mushroom?

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
How about both? Think of it as hair. It grows on his head but is detachable. He can remove it without hurting himself but it's also a natural part of his head.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
He means neither of us wants to see my ugly hair.

Ha- no. It means no one wants to see his bald ugly head. Not that his head would rip off. Come on now. Lol
Nope. Toad explicitly says "neither of us" which implies he himself would not want to do it. If it was a hat why wouldn't he just 'tip his hat'? By making a hat tipping joke he is pointing to the fact that he isn't wearing a hat at all.

It is Occam's Razor people, he is a from the Mushroom Kingdom, he is named Toad(as in Toadstool), therefor he is a Mushroom-person. To say otherwise is you adding more than is actually there.

Hasn't it been established that all of Mario's adventures are effectively acting? Is Bowser Jr. really any different?
I don't know if that has been established within the games themselves but I believe that is how Nintendo(or maybe just Miyamoto) thinks of it.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
I've always assumed hat. The cartoon pics, his helmets in other games, the Strikers x-ray pic, and especially his line in that Mario Party game confirm it for me.

The image on the Captain Toad death screen just looks like a stylistic choice to show a silhouette of his head + hat in the style of a skull, not necessarily his actual skull.

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe we're all just accepting the hat/head binary here when the real answer is so obvious.

The toadstool is neither a hat nor Toad's head: it's hair.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Powerups are pretty magical and can compress stuff. Those helmets look huge to simply replace the cap instead of over them.

Also the who powerups are just clothe doesn't always apply as seen with Boo Mario.

Even only considering the "suit" powerups Penguin Mario's arms do not seem to be big enough to contain Mario's actual arms.

688slm_new_super_mario_bros._penguin_suit_mario_giant_wall_decal_assembled_product.jpg

This is undoubtedly correct. Powerups are not just costumes, they fundamentally alter the morphology and physiology of the subject. A fur suit, for instance, would never cause the changes in gait and climbing ability associated with the cat power up in 3D world. An exception to this might be the cape from SMW.

Mario is body-horror now.

duckvalentine

Reporter at IGN
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is #TeamWig a real thing? Like, if it's their hair, but still detachable, that solves...both...problems...........

okay this thread is delightfully disturbing, I concede it can just be part of its head. Toadette is just weird.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Is #TeamWig a real thing? Like, if it's their hair, but still detachable, that solves...both...problems...........

okay this thread is delightfully disturbing, I concede it can just be part of its head. Toadette is just weird.
A wig is just a hat that looks like hair. Toad's cap isn't simulating hair. It's closest to a turban, hence the bare chest vest and baggy pants to go along with it.
His ears are under the cap and the cap acts as an amplifier.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sometimes, just sometimes, I wonder what I'm doing with my life.

Browsing this thread is one of those times

Nov 1, 2017
Is Mario's moustache real or is it one of those novelty ones you get at a joke shop?

Now, this is nothing conclusive, and it only applies to Luigi, but I have uncovered some potential shocking video evidence of the truth.

I'll put it behind a spoiler tag for those that this might disturb:
(at around 1:40 is it didn't load correctly) Mario and Luigi are twins, so the veracity of Mario's mustache is also suspect

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I find it more amusing if Toad's caps were detachable hats, similar to how Koopas have detachable shells despite the fact that real tortoises' shells are attached to them. Though I would think that their heads are larger than the small head in the cartoons. Basically a middle ground: their heads are a bit larger than their face that it occupies part of the cap, but smaller than the mass of the mushroom cap would cover.

Thank you for reading.