• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/a...uest-column-1212195?__twitter_impression=true

As great as he was on the show, maybe he has a future in journalism. This is a very well-written article that provides a lot of insight into the entire world that Game of Thrones created for real people who spent a decade of their life devoted to it and to each other. The incredible hard work and passion that went into this show, from the actors to the writers/directors to the set decorators and everyone else, is unmatched on television and he shares that passion in a very understandable way here. My favorite part of the article (SPOILERS):

"The ending of the show has been dramatic and unexpected. Witnessing Dany descend into primal anger is hard indeed, and I can see why people took it to heart. But Thrones is at its best when it does things that hurt us — Hodor's death, for example — and episodes five and six of the final season are no different. There is perhaps no harder scene to watch than when Jon kills the woman he loves in the hope that it might save the kingdom. It is an impossibly difficult decision to make, and the jury is out on whether it was the right thing to do — and we will never know.

In that lies the cleverness of Thrones: Nothing is tied up neatly, and we are instead forced to ponder what the fate of this once great kingdom will be after everything has gone so wrong. Nothing sums it up better than Tyrion's line to Jon Snow when asked if he had done the right thing, which I have been covertly using in interview questions to answer how I feel about the years I have given to Thrones: "Ask me in 10 years."

Life doesn't have neat, happy endings; it is ambiguous and ultimately inconsequential. To end Game of Thrones with uncertainty is perhaps the most honest way to end a story so vast and complex — and that uncertainty is what we all feel as we begin our life after Thrones."

Nov 1, 2017
The problem is that the scene where Jon kills Dany wasn't hard to watch at all! It just happened and it felt like nothing. Other than episode 2 this season was just lacking any kind of emotional intensity. Everything just felt like a giant shrug.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Thrones is at its best when it does things that hurt us — Hodor's death, for example — and episodes five and six of the final season are no different.
Hodor's death was poor too.
It is an impossibly difficult decision to make, and the jury is out on whether it was the right thing to do — and we will never know.
What ? It makes sense to kill turbo hitler with a dragon if you could

OP
OP

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
The problem is that the scene where Jon kills Dany wasn't hard to watch at all! It just happened and it felt like nothing. Other than episode 2 this season was just lacking any kind of emotional intensity. Everything just felt like a giant shrug.

Ok. There's a lot of other threads where those sentiments have been expressed countless times already. This is more about understanding what the shows means to the people involved with it.

The Door is considered one of the better episodes of the last few seasons.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When the best part of the final season are the fucking memes mocking the shit-tier writing, you have failed on an epic scale. Nothing is tied up because the ending was rushed for no good reason.

D&D are cancer.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Life doesn't have neat, happy endings; it is ambiguous and ultimately inconsequential. To end Game of Thrones with uncertainty is perhaps the most honest way to end a story so vast and complex — and that uncertainty is what we all feel as we begin our life after Thrones."

I feel like he's playing up the ambiguity and the bittersweet ending. It might be ambiguous for the realm, but every main character still alive got what they wanted in the end.

That's without talking about the writing and the pacing.

Oct 25, 2017
When the best part of the final season are the fucking memes mocking the shit-tier writing, you have failed on an epic scale. Nothing is tied up because the ending was rushed for no good reason.

D&D are cancer.
tumblr_mvtsrizIFh1sjro9ko3_500.gif

I don't like what they did recently but damn.

OP
OP

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
The backlash didn't come from the final episode as much as the defense league would like to quantify it as such.

The entire season was a rushed mess of shit writing.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I feel the show had an incredibly happy ending. Most things went well for characters even when it didn't make sense. A soldier who spearheaded the murder of innocent people gets to live on an island with his solders who did the same. All your favorite characters get to be council to Tyrion, another fan-favorite, and Bran. And all the Starks get what they want.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What ? It makes sense to kill turbo hitler with a dragon if you could
Hodors desth was poor?

I, a grown man teared up. my wife as well. It did something right for a TV show to elicit one of the hardest emotional responses you an artist can achieve from its audience.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

D&D are cancer.

Posts like this are why I can't take some 'fans' seriously. Perhaps come back when you're full of less salt? Comparing human beings to a horrible and devastating medical condition... Come the fuck on, this isn't 4chan.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
There is perhaps no harder scene to watch than when Jon kills the woman he loves in the hope that it might save the kingdom. It is an impossibly difficult decision to make, and the jury is out on whether it was the right thing to do — and we will never know.

Maybe it's because Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington had negative chemistry but killing the person who torched an entire city without remorse and pledged to do it again all over the world seems like an easy decision.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017

D&D are cancer.
I wouldn't go this far but they definitely shit the bed with this final season, so much so I'm not interested in anything else they ever do.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Posts like this are why I can't take some 'fans' seriously. Perhaps come back when you're full of less salt? Comparing human beings to a horrible and devastating medical condition... Come the fuck on, this isn't 4chan.
I'm not salty, it's just a show, but it was a good one made needlessly worse at the most important part of its run because it's writers wanted to leave early so they could go write Star Wars movies instead, and the show I once enjoyed suffered to the point where I no long enjoyed it.

My identity is not defined by media consumption, but I can lament a needless failure of something I once enjoyed without reprimand.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I feel the show had an incredibly happy ending. Most things went well for characters even when it didn't make sense. A soldier who spearheaded the murder of innocent people gets to live on an island with his solders who did the same. All your favorite characters get to be council to Tyrion, another fan-favorite, and Bran. And all the Starks get what they want.
It was a happy ending for the minority of characters who are still alive.

I'm not salty, it's just a show, but it was a good one made needlessly worse at the most important part of its run because it's writers wanted to leave early so they could go write Star Wars movies instead, and the show suffered.
It always baffles me that people keep citing this when:
a) the timing around when GoT's endpoint was announced (2016) doesn't match up to when D&D made their Star Wars deal (2018)
b) if they did want to leave early they probably would not have doubled production time for the final season;
and c) if you already think D&D are shit writers, doesn't it make more sense to conclude that the season was a letdown because you think they're bad writers, not because they wanted to do something else?

Last edited:
OP
OP

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I'm not salty, it's just a show, but it was a good one made needlessly worse at the most important part of its run because it's writers wanted to leave early so they could go write Star Wars movies instead, and the show I once enjoyed suffered to the point where I no long enjoyed it.

My identity is not defined by media consumption, but I can lament a needless failure of something I once enjoyed without reprimand.

You can, but to do it in such a hyperbolic and disrespectful way just makes you look worse.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Yes the episode came across as a surprisingly happy ending.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm not salty, it's just a show, but it was a good one made needlessly worse at the most important part of its run because it's writers wanted to leave early so they could go write Star Wars movies instead, and the show suffered.

Calling people cancer is childish and extremely offensive. It doesn't help you get your point across at all.

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I love that the show never mentioned that Bran could live over 1,000 years 😂 a ruler that would be in power longer than the whole Targaryen lineage with god like power to go back in the past, mind control and spy. It somehow feels like an even worse fate for the people of Westeros.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't give a fuck anymore

Why do you think you came all that way?

Anyway there were a few things I enjoyed even though none of them was earned except through the book seeding. They were all there and "true" but rushed.

1. Jaime found redemption and forgiveness from everyone except himself.
2. Jaime undid his kingkiller curse by making the king of the six kingdoms.
3. Madness was the true scourge of the families.
4. Samwell's Democracy Mandarin speech.
5. Amazing cinematography including pirate teen, dragon hitler and what's her face finally doing a face acting properly to the point I wonder if they cg'd her intense stare at the end.
6. Lol, Jon's No! Jon SNOW more like!
7. Dragon is just an animal.
8. Cersei and Jaimie undone by not standing eight feet to the right.
9. Clegane Bowl.

Last edited:

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Bran was certainly a different character so it's interesting to hear the actor's opinion. Bran and Hodor had some interesting moments.
As for his overall opinion of the show, I agree with what he had to say.

OP
OP

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I love that the show never mentioned that Bran could live over 1,000 years 😂 a ruler that would be in power longer than the whole Targaryen lineage with god like power to go back in the past, mind control and spy. It somehow feels like an even worse fate for the people of Westeros.

At least the Crannogmen will finally get the recognition they deserve with Bran in power. Make House Reed the Co-Warden of the North!

Bran was certainly a different character so it's interesting to hear the actor's opinion. Bran and Hodor had some interesting moments.
As for his overall opinion of the show, I agree with what he had to say.

Thank you for reading the article and putting forth a worthwhile post :)

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Very well written and I like the points he brings up.

The the execution is far more muddled then the actual endings and resolutions. And of course Jon did the right thing lol. I wasn't left questioning that at all.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So we can't disagree with statements made in an article now ?
You can disagree with whatever you want, but I'd also encourage taking a moment to consider whether your comment will actually contribute in a meaningful way to the topic at hand, or if it's better suited to one of the (very) many threads already touching on your point.