• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you like Mass Effect 3 as the end of the Mass Effect trilogy?

• It's amazing. A worthy finale in all ways that mattered.

Votes: 113 11.0%
  • It's very good, but it does have some notable weak spots.

Votes: 475 46.3%
  • It's good. Just good. Good. What more can I say?

Votes: 203 19.8%
  • It's mediocre in the pure sense of the word. Not great, not terrible.

Votes: 112 10.9%
  • It's bad. Just bad. Bad. That's all I can say.

Votes: 45 4.4%
  • It's very bad, but not without some good moments here and there.

Votes: 39 3.8%
  • It's terrible. In fact I have not yet recovered from it.

Votes: 39 3.8%

• Total voters

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I think your description is pretty solid, although I'd skew a bit more positive in a post Extended Cut and DLC world.

The game has the highest highs of any video game that I have ever played, rewarding the player for their choices and experience over two prior games. But there is several minor nuisances that hold the game back from complete perfection for me, notably the scaled back dialogue system.

I do think if Mass Effect 3 launched with the Extended Cut (and Leviathan + Omega), most would look at Mass Effect 3 as the best of the franchise instead of ME2.

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
I thought it had a very strong intro, but an average finale. Though I expected the average finally.

Anyone actually expecting the decisions of the 3 game to have really impactful resolution or some really grand ending was lying to themselves. Games were still pretty meh with stories most of the time even back then.

BearBobomb

Jun 3, 2022
Earth
It's a great game that while I wish did more with it's endings, even when it launched I still think people overreacted and/or expected too much

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game marred by some strange decisions with the story and some frustrating gameplay aspects like the war assets. Replaying it when the Legendary Collection came out a few years ago left me with the feeling that it wasn't as bad as I remember it being, while also reminding me of why I didn't like it much to begin with. It's a mixed bag, but more good than bad. When you play it immediately after playing through ME1 and ME2, those downsides become a lot more evident.

Oct 25, 2017
I think they completely delivered on the core emotional component, which was the relationships between Shepard and your squad mates, that's what people really loved about the franchise and created such connection. I think they missed the mark on delivering a grand space opera trilogy story that felt cohesive, but I can understand how the realities of game development and changing strategic/corporate focus made that an impossible task in many ways. But then they intentionally bungled the ending so badly that it made people forget about all the emotional stuff they enjoyed along the way.

I also want to take a moment to praise the multiplayer because it's bewildering how fun that mode ended up being given all of the development issues they were dealing with. I was expecting it to feel completely tacked on but I probably spent as much time playing that mode as the campaign.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Everything up to and including Citadel, but specifically with (the) Citadel (DLC,) is great.

For me, Citadel is the tasteful alternative ending to whatever the fuck we got with space child's actual nonsense arguments.

Pros:

+ its a fun game
+ it has wonderful characters
+ multiplayer was low key excellent

Cons:

- the story choked hard
- "the Reapers are unstopabble!" …except for thresher maws, macguffins, and basic dialogue checks I guess!

Edit: although I guess the canon "Sole Survivor" backstory involves surviving a thresher maw attack, so its sort of poetic for even unkillable eldritch robots to be afraid of them lol

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's somewhere between Alright and Good for me depending on the story beat.

It was (and still is) a disappointing ending for the trilogy tho imo.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I think the series as a whole has largely been surpassed since they released, but with a happy ending mod, 3 is decent enough, and the second best game in the series, after 2.

Oct 28, 2017
Bought the game at launch. Got busy with life and missed all the controversy. By the time I got to it the ending had been patched up.

I thought ME1's story was meh at best, bad at worst. Falls apart around act 3. Gameplay was astounding.
ME2's story was more focused and stripped down. Thought it was better overall. Gameplay still great.

Which brings us to ME3. I don't think the series had a necessary through line as a trilogy. They're almost loosely related to a degree. It's closer to Splinter Cell than it is to Metal Gear Solid in terms of storytelling in my opinion. Given all that I guess the goal was just to land the plane and it succeeded. There wasn't some identifiable villain we were following for 3 games, no serious call backs or seeds planted from 1 that became important in 3. Structurally, the story is fine. Quality wise ... fine?

The outrage about your options not mattering just wasn't a factor to me. I thought options carrying over the entire series was superficial the whole time.

Oct 29, 2017
I never hated it at launch but the legendary remaster warmed me to it considerably. Playing those three games in a row is one of my favorite gaming experiences of the last few years.

ArcticWolf

Nov 29, 2022
I think they did. But assuming they didn't, I ask: who did?

And the answer is evident: no one, because no one tried something like the Mass Effect trilogy. This might not make ME3 better or worse, but it does show how ambitious and daring Bioware was with the Mass Effect trilogy.

Maximum amount of snark compels me to say Sir-Tech with the Dark Savant Trilogy (Wizardry VI, VII, & 8). Of course Wizardry isn't really known for having much of a story (A bad guy wants the Dragon balls, oh wait the bad guy was space Jesus ) but hey some zany Canadians genuinely thought story decisions and party members made in a title released a decade ago should carry over.

Edit: This isn't me being completely serious by the way (Wizardry trilogy is awesome for this though). I do feel Bioware did set out to do something grand of a linked trilgoy but in someways I think what they were doing wasn't limited by skill, ability, or even practicality but of marketability.

Last edited:

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The lack of objectives tracking docks a lot of points for me. I really should finish it on the Legendary Edition though.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Overall I love it, but its a game with some very high highs, and some very low lows. The era it released in and the change to EA as the publisher is really apparent, in mostly negative ways.

Tonally, it's just feels so different from ME1. Things like the kid, dream sequences, and Diana Allers just feel...off. The absence of people like Drew Karpyshn and Chris L'Etoile is felt. And then there's Javik being DLC, when he was clearly intended to be a central part of the story.

People always talk about the ending, but I think the beginning is just as bad. ME1 and 2 have such iconic openings, yet 3's just feels sloppy and incomplete. It doesn't bridge the gap from ME2 nearly as well as it should. I believe there was supposed to be a proper trial sequence going over choices from past games, but it was cut. And then there's James, who is introduced as if we should already know him. Seeing Vancouver represented is cool though.

Cerberus is basically the Mass Effect equivalent of Star Wars' Empire at this point. Some fun trivia: the Cerberus quest line was supposed to be longer in ME1, leading to a hub on a planet called Misery. The Illusive Man (or a version of what eventually became him) would have been introduced in a cancelled DLC. Mac Walters was (understandably) upset about this being cut, and made Cerberus a big part of ME2. Who knows how different ME2 and 3 would have been if that content made it into ME1

But for all the lows, ME3 has some truly fantastic bits. The combat is the best in the series; the weight system is a really smart design choice. The Genophage arc is among the best in the series, with some great reactivity based on your decisions in past games. I also think it has the strongest DLC of the trilogy, with Citadel acting as a great conclusion to Shepard's journey.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
People seem to only remember the fumbled landing, and not the powerful ending of the Geth and Krogan arcs where your choices from the first and second games FINALLY mattered and effected what ending and character death if any, you got. In a series of every choice being a voiceover difference or in ME3, a war asset number, it was great to have some damn good fucking payoff and it absolutely delivered.

Also, it was where combo detonations started to pick up steam and be the basis around which andromedas amazing combat would be built around. So it was a huge step up in that regard.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Was "Ok" at release, even with the controversy.

Played the 3 games again 2 years ago and its by far the worst one now though...

You couldn't pay me to play it again.

Andromeda however, I can play that every single day.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I thought it had a very strong intro, but an average finale. Though I expected the average finally.

Anyone actually expecting the decisions of the 3 game to have really impactful resolution or some really grand ending was lying to themselves. Games were still pretty meh with stories most of the time even back then.
Mass Effect 2 managed it on a smaller scale.

They could have easily made a bigger and better version of the suicide mission to top off ME3. But EA originally gave them less than two years to finish off this trilogy. That's fucking insane and I do put a lot of the blame on them for not giving Bioware nearly as much time as the finale of this series deserved.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Mass Effect 2 managed it on a smaller scale.

They could have easily made a bigger and better version of the suicide mission to top off ME3. But EA originally gave them less than two years to finish off this trilogy. That's fucking insane and I do put a lot of the blame on them for not giving Bioware nearly as much time as the finale of this series deserved.

www.resetera.com

What EA did to Mass Effect 3 is a colossal crime from which humanity will never recover.

Mass Effect 3 is a game that will be forever remembered by its ending. Thankfully not only because of that, but it will always be impossible to discuss it (and the trilogy as a whole) without talking about how it all ended. EA is not the only one to blame here, Mac Walters and Casey Hudson are...

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I think overall it's great. It does have some flaws but I still have an excellent time with it.

It's the best combat in the series. It feels so good. The builds/classes are all great. It's just incredibly fun to play. On higher difficulties especially, I just had an absolute blast. People claim the RPG elements have been cast aside too much and while that may be true when it comes to stuff like equipment compared to the first game, I still think the choices made in leveling up your class and customizing your guns is enough RPG mechanics for the type of game this is.

Hanging out on the ship is great as always. I love that the characters move around a bit and have more interactions amongst themselves. It feels less like NPCs standing around waiting for you to talk to them, at least a tiny bit. The character writing is also top notch, some of the best Bioware has ever done.

The story is also great! It's a big action finale and it drives that home as much as it possibly can. When taken on it's own, as a stand-alone game, it may feel like it's missing a lot that the first two had. But when taking the trilogy together as a whole singular story, I think ME3's tone and pacing make a lot more sense. I love how desperate it can feel at times, I love that it actually delivers on a lot of things that had been built up until then. And, yes, I think the ending is satisfying... from an emotional standpoint. My first time through it I felt the things they wanted me to feel, in any event.

So does the game also have flaws? Yes, absolutely. The roleplaying has been reduced more than I'd like. The entire trilogy was shackled by the Paragon/Renegade dynamic and this is where those issues culminate. The neutral dialogue choice is basically removed and outcomes needs to be streamlined for the sake of this being the final game (lol). Furthermore, while I think people who complain about their previous choices not mattering are often ignoring how much in this game IS impacted by previous choices... there are also many moments where they clearly said "screw it" and your choices are handwaved away (the council and who you chose to be the human member of it are the most egregious examples). And the ending... well, like I said, I liked it for the most part. But even I would rewrite a few aspects of it. There's like one or two lines of dialogue I'd just pluck out entirely and one or two I'd add in.

Overall, I think ME3 is a game that had to do a lot of work in order to serve as a finale to the previous two games. Sometimes it cuts corners to get there but it mostly sticks the landing for me.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It's an incredible end to an exciting story that ties so many loose ends. Unfortunately it fumbled the ending so badly that the narrative around the game focused on that and to this day I think people are unnecessarily harsh on it.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't like it at release due to the ending. Never touched any of the DLCs or anything after I finished the game, just shelved the series and never touched it again until LE.

I replayed again a year or two ago, from the start, with the legendary edition and I was more satisfied. I think the Citadel DLC helped immensely wrapping the entire series up a little neater, plus whatever changes they made so it didn't feel like you were just picking a color.

I'd say now my bigger minor issue with ME3 is that it doesn't feel quite as connected to ME2 as it should have, which I understand since at the time I'm sure they were worried a lot of new players would be coming into ME3 not playing ME2 so don't wanna continue the same characters too much but I think in hindsight its a better thing to do have more continuity in series like this.

Still, I loved my ME LE play through and now am very fond of the series and look forward to ME 4, which is what I assume was a big push for remastering the games in the first place. In fact, I might replay the LE again this summer - I 100%'d it on PS5, but still could play the PC or xbox versions.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect I kinda feel like Mass Effect 2 was a big waste of time as far as the over-arching trilogy story, fleshing it out, and coming up with something more interesting for the Reapers that could be paid off in the third game.

It's effectively the best and biggest side quest in video game history.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't hate the ending like most here.

I enjoyed the game but as far as the conversation choices go I feel it's the weakest, and I don't know what it is but I like the feel of the controls/gameplay more in 2 than in 3.

Having said that 3 has some really cool shit, like the reapers in the backgrounds of levels

LKsbKuw.gif

Also 3 has my favourite moment in the entire franchise

View: https://youtu.be/UP-v10wTPBM?si=WptjA87FlhtlEq80

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Ending was meh, rest was great and those dream sequences are still so annoying I'm baffled no one at BioWare noticed it

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I was not a fan of how it concluded universal conflicts like the Genophage and the Geth/Quarian war as steps to the final fight with the reapers on Earth.

Made the universe feel a lot smaller and more artificial.

Zalapski

May 30, 2022

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmnz2C3SZr0

So many great character payoffs, this at the top for me. Game truly felt epic, pulling together strands from nearly a decade's worth of storytelling.

Shame the launch version had one of the most (deservedly) hated endings of all time. But hell, I still bought the remastered trilogy and enjoyed playing through it again regardless.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I just treat the Citadel DLC as the real ending and the Indoctrination theory as my head canon and its a real really great game!

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
It's very good but everything surrounding the Reapers is terrible, the Crucible included.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolute trash game that abandoned almost all of its RPG mechanics for dudebro shooter action gameplay, complete with countless "one ally is interacting with a computer, defend them by yourself and the other party member" next to conveniently placed turrets if memory serves. Illusion of choice bullshit from anything you may have done in the prior two games. Only highlight is some of the character moments like shooting the shit with Garrus.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a tremendous game with serious lows that are ultimately made up for by its triumphant highs.

Its strength lies in genuinely great encounter and combat design. It comes at a cost of the structure of the game, feeling the most linear and combat heavy. But the end result is punchy, satisfying weapons and hit feedback, challenging encounter loops, enormous enemy variety, and exceptional encounter zone layout that encourage push-pull player positioning and movement. The strength of the combat is proven by the horde mode that I'm still gutted wasn't ported after the Legendary Edition as a stand-alone multiplayer.

The story is, for most part, fine. BioWare had no plan and wrote themselves into a corner, and I've long come to accept the goofiness and weaknesses of some of the narrative beats and BioWare's struggle to make amends with the ridiculous premise they'd built up to. Having the Reapers presented as omnipotent, invincible Lovecraftian space gods and having a narrative where they can be beaten was a rough idea to start with. That being said, I think the momentum of the story is excellent, the game does a fantastic job of making each location and setting tense and riddled with a sensation of war. There's fantastic attention to detail, like revisiting the Citadel after major story beats to find the impact of the war increasing the waves of refugees and flood of injured persons at the hospital.

Character writing is fine. Even Vega. I don't think enough credit is given for how most of the characters are fully formed, and even cliche dumb meatheads like Vega have substance in their backstory and personality. The game aims to wrap up three-story-arc characters like Garrus and Tali and, for most part, does so exceptionally. There are countless major payoffs that 'complete' arcs to great satisfaction and really make it feel like the three game investment was worthwhile.

The visual and audio design is fantastic. It sounds and looks incredible, and with SGSSAA on PC is still one of the cleanest, nicest looking games around. The variety of locations is astounding, particularly with the DLC, and the game never feels repetitive of phone in as to where you go and what you see.

On the downside the story's end is dogshit, and remains dogshit, and tonally off with some key facets of the series. I've long come to accept it for what it is. And I actually like the climax itself (like the Battle for Earth and push into and upwards into the hijacked Citadel). Leviathan DLC adds a lot of necessary substance to soften the blow thanks to additional context, but the "impossible scenario" presented to you at the end and options to conclude it are contrived and silly. BioWare weirdly wrote 3 games about defying the odds, triumph over conservatism and faux inevitabilities, and then pissed it away at the end.

Some of the characters are rubbish. Kai Leng is one of the worst things penned in the entire series, and isn't even fun goofy. Legion/Geth arc is a woeful Pinocchio story that does more damage to the Geth's unique qualities than enhance them. Sex bot EDI is whatever, horny writing is fine, but whoever was penning that went way overboard into cringe.

I think the DLC is fucking awesome, especially Leviathan and Omega. I don't think Citadel is very good, in retrospect. It serves a purpose as a post-experience fandom pandering tokenistic cap to the "Mass Effect Trilogy", that aims to masturbate players with cringy meme dialogue and tongue-in-cheek, wink-at-the-player references. And I think that's cool and fine because it serves a purpose. But it's laden with awful Whedonspeak dialogue and pandering that would later form some of the worst qualities of Andromeda's own script, and don't represent the best of the trilogy's sombre melancholy and black comedy.

All in all though I think it's great. Like, all of the three games have their strengths and weaknesses individually. Mass Effect 1 is still my favourite of the bunch as a sum total of parts, but is also littered with shit people forgive it for that it condemned in other games. Mass Effect 3's lowest are excruciating and I still genuinely feel, even being my most forgiving for other stuff in the game that I don't like, that the ending is trash and was badly written and conceived from the start. I think BioWare probably wanted to do a lot more with the Battle for Earth (they talked about it being more ME2 Suicide Mission-like), and the game probably could have done with another year in the cooker to reduce pressure on getting it all done. And ultimately ME2 and ME3 didn't take the series in the direction I would have preferred post ME1. But I can't undo that and it's dumb to keep complaining about it all these years later, especially since I still enjoyed what's there.

And ultimately I just don't think there's really much, or anything, else out there like the trilogy. I think the Legendary Edition is still some of the best value-for-money gaming on the market, and that despite their weakest moments, BioWare maintained an extremely impressive and consistent level of quality across all three games in what they deliver at their strongest beats. I genuinely think the Mass Effect trilogy is one of the closest series in the entire medium to capture the experience of watching several seasons of a great television show, and the depth of the worldbuilding, lore, characterisations, arcs, etc, are relatively unmatched when you consider how much content and time is offered across three games and how it all unravels. Going through the Legendary Edition reignited a lot of the love I have for these games, and how there isn't a replacement.

The saddest thing is, as said, that they never ported the fucking awesome horde mode with the Legendary Edition, or afterwards. Shit ruled hard.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I was never in the group that said that the ending ruined the game. The game part of the game ruined the game.

- Half the crew from the previous games just existing as cameos who fuck off after one mission.
- Javik, one of the most important "lore" characters was actually on-disk DLC.
- whatever nonsense story was going on with the star child.
- Remember when you had to make that difficult decision to kill the last Rachni Queen? Lul, there's just another Rachni Queen now, don't worry about it.
- Literally not being able to get one of the endings at launch without doing multiplayer because there wasn't enough war assets in the game.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I know people love ME2, but it kind of handed ME3 a narrative bag of shit. I like the structure of ME2's story a lot (loyalty/suicide mission), but the actual "vigilante working for a weirdo watching tv in the dark smoking cigarettes" of it felt corny even back in 2010. It also didn't really have anything to do with the first game, not really. It's like Mass Effect: Gaiden.

So if the team struggled to tie everything together, I don't really blame ME3. Don't get me wrong, it has issues, but "ME3 done goofed" doesn't feel completely accurate to me.

The ending was bad, but I wasn't one of those people that got angry about it. The game was oddly positioned.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Somewhere between "good" and "very good" (voted for the latter).
It has some incredible character moments, but the ending felt underwhelming, there is very little exploration, and much of the gameplay is just you clearing waves of enemies while some door lock is getting hacked. Didn't like how they handled Cerberus and the Illusive man at all.
Great multiplayer mode, though.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
As a game it's pretty decent. You do stuff. It flashes on the screen with great satisfaction at times. But most of the real satisfaction from the story and characters aren't earned. Taken on its own it's very mediocre. It feels like a direct-to-DVD knockoff. There isn't any real depth anywhere. Most gameplay systems are there to keep you busy, they don't contribute to the bigger picture. I've played through it three times though, which should give you an idea for what a sucker I am and how little I respect my free time.

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
It's better than 2 and I will die on that hill despite the ending reception. It actually moves the plot and universe forward both the main story thread of the Reapers finally arriving but also resolves other narrative arcs in a cool way like the Genophage and the Geth-Quarian conflict.

Plenty of cool moments, emotional moments( the "leaving Earth" OST playing as you leave Anderson behind on Earth while fleeing on the Normandy, Mordin going out with "Had to be me someone else might have gotten it wrong", the final goodbye from your LI right before Shepard heading to the ending on the Citadel) and the Extended cut Destroy Ending is a perfect fine ending for my tastes.

Also Citadel dlc is the GOAT ME dlc.

Mass Effect 1 is my favourite but I have a huge soft spot for ME3.

Last edited:

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
One of the most disastrously bad games, comparative to what came before, I have ever had the misfortune to play. An ending so bad it killed the franchise for over a decade, the next game had to go to another fucking galaxy to avoid the implications of the game. It's an appalling game with an utterly inchorent plot and story telling with very few redeeming features (Tuchanka is OK.)

I hate it. It's awful.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
The day 1 DLC practice were shocking at the time, but as someone who played the games through the legendary edition I didn't have to deal with any of that and I found the explanation of the reaper's origins as well as the justification for their actions to be sound, it makes sense for unfeeling, timeless machines to think the way they did. My major gripe with the plot came near the end when the harbringer leaves without making sure shepard was dead, just seems incredibly silly.

Not as bad as Shepard surviving the intro of 2 though, that alone shattered any grounded-ness ME had prior with 1 in an instant. And I know 2 is the most liked one but it largely felt like a waste of time to me from a narrative perspective, I actually ended up enjoying 3's gameplay and plot more.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
The multiplayer was good

Not as bad as Shepard surviving the intro of 2 though, that alone shattered any grounded-ness ME had prior with 1 in an instant. And I know 2 is the most liked one but it largely felt like a waste of time to me from a narrative perspective, I actually ended up enjoying 3's gameplay and plot more.

ME2 was a huge narrative detour, probably because the new lead writer wanted to tell a gritty antihero story, and had to contort Mass Effect into a shape where that would work.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I think they did. But assuming they didn't, I ask: who did?

And the answer is evident: no one, because no one tried something like the Mass Effect trilogy. This might not make ME3 better or worse, but it does show how ambitious and daring Bioware was with the Mass Effect trilogy.

I mean, just because no one else has tried doesn't mean Bioware is absolved of messing up their own story.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I played it after the DLC, mods and fixes and it felt like a consistant continuation of ME2, knowing beforehand that the ending would be rough it didnt bother me as much when I got there.

ME1 was my favorite experience in the series by far though, but I havent gone back to replay it after the original release.