• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Or just played it sooner. It's been playable on every single playstation and is on PC. It's not like people born after 2000 haven't had ample opportunity to play it.

The OPs thesis is about kids who might not have played it/know about it being exposed to it perhaps closer to launch or now for the first time. Perhaps this wasn't some game on a 12 year old kid's radar, but with the updated modern look and gameplay, perhaps it will be.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it's a duty as someone more knowledgeable to spoil it for the young ones. Tell them from the get-go when they're excited over Pokemon the anime that Ash won't EVER be the very best. To drop that notion then and there because they're about to watch 30 seasons of a loser kid who thinks friendship matters the most as he keeps getting his ass whooped by people who are also friends with their pokemon.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I wanted to personally thank everyone in the thread reminding us of the exact number of years that have elapsed since the game was released. This is very important information that we must keep in mind at all times, and it's not at all annoying to see it repeated it over and over. Bringing it to our attention truly is the hallmark of original discussion and insight you believe it to be, and it doesn't get old at all.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Considering how spoiled to hell FF7 is, i wonder how the newer generation of gamers that never played FF7 will enjoy the remake. They've likely had the game spoiled already through memes like it happened to me. Sadly is one of the reasons im not really hyped for 7R despite me never played the original, there's just no mistery left.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Aerith dies

Blue is the Pokemon Champion

Sheik is Zelda

The Princess is in the 8th Castle

Collecting all 7 Chaos Emeralds turns Sonic into Super Sonic

Samus is a Girl

Kazuya has the Devil Gene

Zero was created by Dr. Wily

Roxas is Sora's Nobody

This is probably why Tifa gets got instead in the Remake.

4139.jpg

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I wanted to personally thank everyone in the thread reminding us of the exact number of years that have elapsed since the game was released. This is very important information that we must keep in mind at all times, and it's not at all annoying that half of the posts consist on little more than repeating it over and over. Bringing this to our attention truly is the hallmark of original argumenting and insight you all believe it to be, and it doesn't get old at all.
Well stupid threads deserve stupid replies.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Aerith dies

Blue is the Pokemon Champion

Sheik is Zelda

The Princess is in the 8th Castle

Collecting all 7 Chaos Emeralds turns Sonic into Super Sonic

Samus is a Girl

Kazuya has the Devil Gene

Zero was created by Dr. Wily

Roxas is Sora's Nobody
Hercule Poirot marries his mustache

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny you mention Game of Thrones when the first book came out in 1991.

That's even older than FFVII, so we should all openly talk about what happens in that, right? Because the HBO-watching crowd totally understands, statute of limitations and all that.
Spoiling plot points is really about reading the room than a hard rule based upon the age of the media. GoT is more popular than asoiaf so most people don't openly talk about the story until it happens on the show. When Harry Potter came out, the books were more popular than the movies so anything in the books were fair game. No one was trying to hide that Snape killed Dumbledore before the Half-blood Prince movie came out. That would have been unreasonable since 'Snape Kills Dumbledore' had reached pop culture awareness on the level of Darth Vader being Luke's Father. It is equally unreasonable to expect people to not talk about Aeris dying on a gaming forum when it is the most known 'spoiler' in gaming.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Sephiroth kills Aerith. What is the purpose of this thread? The game is old now. People have had years and years to play it. If they cared enough to go into a VII thread and get spoiled then it's their fault because it's a spoiler that is well known.

Also, just a reminder that it has been 20 years +

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I wanted to personally thank everyone in the thread reminding us of the exact number of years that have elapsed since the game was released. This is very important information that we must keep in mind at all times, and it's not at all annoying to see it repeated it over and over. Bringing it to our attention truly is the hallmark of original discussion and insight you believe it to be, and it doesn't get old at all.
curious as to what you expected

i'm cool with using spoiler tags when remake comes out but the OP can't seriously expect everyone else to do so, and there's nothing wrong with that

it's 22 years old after all ;^

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
It would be fair to avoid spoiling changes in the remakes script if it happened.

Not for the original script. It's already out and you can buy it.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
you just lost the 20 year old game

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Nobody said you should. It takes literally one second to put a spoiler tag.

That's what gets me in these threads. It takes one goddamn second to tag an important plot point. That's all...
It's easier for someone not to enter a thread relating to x. A spoiler in the title is a bit harder to avoid though.
And spoilers are not just plot points.
I'm sure someone would be crying if they got spoiled that
Cap Marvel got a fucking haircut

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, there's no harm in my trying to prevent people from being spoiled on it if they haven't already heard about it. I hope at least a few additional people can be surprised thanks to your thread, OP.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if someone told me directly that they were playing it for the first time I wouldn't spout off about the plot but let's be reasonable here and not expect all discussion to be hidden when the game has been out for so long.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I got spoiled by Aeris' death when I looked through the strategy guide at the grocery store.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sure, there's no harm in my trying to prevent people from being spoiled on it if they haven't already heard about it. I hope at least a few additional people can be surprised thanks to your thread, OP.

It's really that simple. It takes zero effort and could help some people.

I hate how society has devolved into instinctive "someone asking me to do something = they're attacking my Way Of Life and I must strike back". For fuck's sake, people, chill; don't do it if you don't want, it's just a suggestion.

Oct 25, 2017

People are bringing it up because it's the point that needs to be made. Spoiler culture is such a nuisance and people talking about how you can't openly talk about a game from the 90s because it's being remade is silly.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's an unreasonable request. Even with how ruthless the Internet can be in assuming everyone knows everything, there are still people who will be seeing the stories of games like FF7 and Link's Awakening for the first time and have yet to be spoiled on some, most, or any aspects of them. And it isn't that hard to use spoiler tags when needed. Best to be considerate of others.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
OP is right. Era asserting that "lol everyone knows already" just proves that we project upon the wider market the opinions / knowledge of our own little enthusiast bubble.

There are tons of younger gamers who will be experiencing this massive story for the first time. There are very likely tons of 30+ somethings who will be experiencing this story for the first time.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I personally don't intentionally spoil anything to anyone anyway. You won't hear me say shit about ff7's big story moments.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

That's even older than FFVII, so we should all openly talk about what happens in that, right? Because the HBO-watching crowd totally understands, statute of limitations and all that.
The tv show has literally gone past the books and will spoil the actual ending of the series....

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's another spoiler: you can know the plot of a story and still enjoy it. "Surprise" is not the only (or even most important) element of good narrative.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
The OPs thesis is about kids who might not have played it/know about it being exposed to it perhaps closer to launch or now for the first time. Perhaps this wasn't some game on a 12 year old kid's radar, but with the updated modern look and gameplay, perhaps it will be.

You really need to spoiler that post. There's a lot of people just learning the English language that don't want to be spoiled those words exist.

What really pisses me off is a lot of people talking about end game beating avatar in the box office but there's so many people that don't yet know avatar is number 1! Spoiler alert mother fuckers. Thanks for turning life to shit.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
It's a two decade old game playable in several formats on several platforms that has been discussed in several different areas on the internet. It's no more a spoiler than Darth Vader's true identity at this point.

Aeris fucking DIES. End of story. Spoil away.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
No. People should be able to discuss the story and the game freely without having to worry about possibly offending spoiler sensitive people. It's been 20 years since the original came out. The time for keeping its secrets under wraps has long expired.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017

There's a world of difference between the people who were aware of Game of Thrones and its plot before the HBO series and Final Fantasy 7 and its spoiler that was plastered all over media. Seriously, the cutscene was even in some outlets without any context, just right there when showcasing the game.

Also, the insufferable Game of Throne fans will spoil you about everyone's death before you even watch the series. I haven't watched a single episode and already know a couple spoilers without even looking them up, so thanks, GoT fans, for being so considerate.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I wasnt even born when ff7 came out, and this will be the first time Ill play it... and I agree with other posters, the shouldnt have to spoiler tag a 20 year old game, thats stupid.