• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to feel something was wrong with me for being so lukewarm on a game that was universally adored by critics. Now I see the reception among fans is not as overwhelmingly positive.

Well yeah, that's basically every game of BotW's stature. The detractors are always going to be more vocal in cases like this.

And of course nothing's wrong with you for not agreeing with the general consensus! We all feel that way about at least one lauded game/book/movie/etc.

I think BOTW is a really unique game, I am looking forward to seeing how Nintendo iterates on the formula with the sequel.

Yeah, me too. Lots of ideas they can expand on.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I with the map was smaller, with all of the unique and worthwhile ideas condensed down into a smaller space.
I don't think this is the solution.
The overall idea behind the world is: you as a player can start exploring in a random direction and find some challenge, good weapons, shrines... and the world needs to feel big and intriguing regardless of which area you decide to explore first.
IMO the game's density is perfect, you'll never be more than 3 minutes between two "events", unless you want to start climbing the tallest mountains.
Most open world games slowly open the areas, this way is far easier to adjust the player's experience, but BotW goes for something way crazier, and even if it means that the last areas that you explore will be the less interesting, it's a small price to pay considering how engrossing the exploration is most of the time.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I used to feel something was wrong with me for being so lukewarm on a game that was universally adored by critics. Now I see the reception among fans is not as overwhelmingly positive. I think BOTW is a really unique game, I am looking forward to seeing how Nintendo iterates on the formula with the sequel.

I think you're a Zelda game too late with that take there. Contrasting Skyward Sword with BotW in this case shows quite clearly that BotW has an incredibly positive WoM, no one cared about SS like 6/7/8 months after its launch at best whilst BotW is still selling brilliantly and is lauded quite often constantly, winning another accolade just last week at the BAFTAs, for example.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're a Zelda game too late with that take there. Contrasting Skyward Sword with BotW in this case shows quite clearly that BotW has an incredibly positive WoM, no one cared about SS like 6/7/8 months after its launch at best whilst BotW is still selling brilliantly and is lauded quite often constantly, winning another accolade just last week at the BAFTAs, for example.

heck, I'd argue people stopped caring about SS by the end of 2011 (less than two months after launch)!

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
My post wasn't really a "take", just an observation that there seem to be more people lukewarm on the game than I would have expected, given the unanimous critical praise. Of course, the general consensus is still positive. And I do agree that this discrepancy between critical and fan feedback is much more pronounced with Skyward Sword.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
heck, I'd argue people stopped caring about SS by the end of 2011 (less than two months after launch)!
SS was "another Zelda", this time with limited exploration.
I understand that some people miss the dungeons and the items from older Zelda games, but tbh there's lots and lots of games that have these elements.
BotW was what the saga most needed, a new template for the new games, leaving behind some iconic elements, because even a saga that delivers every 5 years needs to move on and evolve.

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My post wasn't really a "take", just an observation that there seem to be more people lukewarm on the game than I would have expected, given the unanimous critical praise. Of course, the general consensus is still positive. And I do agree that this discrepancy between critical and fan feedback is much more pronounced with Skyward Sword.

Are you new to online forums? You see this with every single media product in the history of mankind. You'll see it soon with God of War, then Red Dead Redemption 2, etc.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Remember, this game won Era's GotY award and 51 Reader GotY awards overall. The praise from consumers is pretty close to unanimous as well, but BotW by its very nature is going to be somewhat divisive (it's an open world game + a reinvention of a 32 year old series), so visible criticism really isn't all that surprising.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
First 10-20 hours were magical. Up to the Master Sword was still amazing. Then it just became a bit empty when you mapped all the areas and just teleport to places to find some thing to do, usually shrines. Most shrines just don't work as a reward. They're out of place and the reward sucks. The really good ones are the ones that integrate it within the world, like the giant ogres who keep the orbs around their neck or the deserted island. Don't just design some poor shrines just because one part of an area is empty. It's like filling a quota. Also the reward could be better. At some point hearts and stamina become irrelevant.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember, this game won Era's GotY award and 51 Reader GotY awards overall. The praise from consumers is pretty close to unanimous as well, but BotW by its very nature is going to be somewhat divisive (it's an open world game + a reinvention of a 32 year old series), so visible criticism really isn't all that surprising.
Yeah good points.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
My post wasn't really a "take", just an observation that there seem to be more people lukewarm on the game than I would have expected, given the unanimous critical praise.
Most criticisms on the game (weapon degradation, story, progression) are direct consequences to the open nature of the game.
It's far easier to make a game feel better paced or more balanced using the classic lineal or semi-lineal approach, but at the same time it's not as interesting as trying to do something as open as BotW.
If the approach works for you, you will have at least 40 magical hours with the game, if not, you'll see lots of problems everywhere.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most criticisms on the game (weapon degradation, story, progression) are direct consequences to the open nature of the game.
It's far easier to make a game feel better paced or more balanced using the classic lineal or semi-lineal approach, but at the same time it's not as interesting as trying to do something as open as BotW.
If the approach works for you, you will have at least 40 magical hours with the game, if not, you'll see lots of problems everywhere.
I actually really like open-world games with open ended gameplay. I think one of my issues with BOTW may be that I don't find the core gameplay to be as engaging as some other open-ended games. I feel the combat is very stilted and relatively shallow, as I mentioned before, so I don't get pure pleasure from just the act of playing the game, like I do with, say MGSV or Mario Odyssey. I can spend hours running the same mission on MGSV, testing out different weapons and approaches. And in Odyssey, I can spend time in the Metro or Seaside Kingdoms just bouncing and jumping around, coming up with locomotion challenges for myself (Balloon World has been a godsend). And you are right, I actually played the game for over 120 hours, so I'm sure if you distilled my playthrough down to the best moments, you could find 40 hours of magic haha.

And please don't think I'm trying to take away from your thoughts on the game, as they're perfectly valid :)
I don't think that at all! I appreciate the open exchange of views.. something that seems to be endangered around here sometimes lol.

tolman

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't mind weapon degradation but I hated armor switching depending on the region I was in.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
I felt like BotW's strongest aspect was simply the physics and the way so many different items and phenomena could interact with each other and the world. Put shortly - the "I didn't know you could do this" factor. The combat was also quite good and definitely among the better 3D combat in the series. I wasn't particularly bothered by the weapon durability.

I found most of the rest of the game to fall into the "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle" category. The world is nice, but there's not really a whole lot of things in it that are good for more than a brief diversion. The dungeons and bosses were also almost universally very underwhelming. Eventide Island was the best part of the entire game for me.

I'd give it about an 8/10 overall.

Incidentally, my core criticism of Super Mario Odyssey is basically the same - it has way too many moons, and many of them are wholly uninteresting to get and/or given out for next to no effort.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Incidentally, my core criticism of Super Mario Odyssey is basically the same - it has way too many moons, and many of them are wholly uninteresting to get and/or given out for next to no effort.
In fact I found the repetition in Odyssey worse than in BotW, mostly because the kingdoms are small and there's no sense of discovery at the same level as BotW.
The costume, finding Peach or the taxi/flying taxi moons are an example of repeating the same concept over and over without a real platforming challenge or interesting twist.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
In fact I found the repetition in Odyssey worse than in BotW, mostly because the kingdoms are small and there's no sense of discovery at the same level as BotW.
The costume, finding Peach or the taxi/flying taxi moons are an example of repeating the same concept over and over without a real platforming challenge or interesting twist.
I think I read that over 2/3 of the moons in the game fall into this category, which sounds about right to me. This is why it's the only 3D Mario game in which I haven't felt compelled to go for full completion.

Ereineon

Nov 8, 2017
My only complain with BotW when i first "end" it where more or less the same than OP... like it was missing something, but that was mostly because this zelda didnt have the usual twist in the storyline dividing the action in two.
From the beggining you have the end of the road clear... This SORT OF got solved with the DLC and the inclusion of the new challenges and the "unknown" 5 beast.
But anyway as that was the price to pay for being able to get to the final boss first if you wanted... i think is sort of an acceptable compromise.

Yeah, we where missing proper dungeons (or caves even), but if you consider the whole, this zelda is more packed with content and subquest than most of them, and most of the twist and storylines are there for you to discover and piece together.
On the whole, the proyect was too big. It could have used many more quest yeah, hyrule is SO GREAT design wise that could easily accept almost anything... yeah, including more dungeons or caves added later xd
Aonuma was the first to say that they were really full of ideas about how to improve the formula, and this was even before release... they got cut off for the launch, but its ok... save them for the next one ^^

Overall, this zelda is great, but its greatness lays in what this brings to the formula with the whole interaction etc. We where missing many things... but thats not something that could not be added for the next title now that they have the machine working so to speak.

Deleted member 16039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I want to restart BotW all over again (but not in Expert mode).

I wish I could avoid deleting my save and I don't want to use another account.

Zen_Mu

Dec 7, 2017
I enjoyed it. I wasn't in the goty or "best game ever made!" camp, but I had a good time playing it. I got used to the weapon degradation, it's just a part of the combat system to me.

The only thing I absolutely did not like was the master trials DLC, so tedious & boring....

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Chiming in with something I've said in other threads, I think in the next months juxtaposing my experience with BotW and GoW will be interesting. Zelda is my thing, and GoW is giving me a lot of what I want from Zelda a lot better than BotW did. I like a lot about BotW but it kind of scares me if that's the future of the franchise.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chiming in with something I've said in other threads, I think in the next months juxtaposing my experience with BotW and GoW will be interesting. Zelda is my thing, and GoW is giving me a lot of what I want from Zelda a lot better than BotW did. I like a lot about BotW but it kind of scares me if that's the future of the franchise.

Well, it sounds like GoW will give you what you want from Zelda, future Zelda games will give other fans what they want out of Zelda, and both GoW and Zelda will give me....Zelda. Everyone wins!

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Weapon degradation isn't pointless, it turns weapons into a resource that you have to manage, meaning you can't just get one powerful weapon early on and completely break the balance of the entire game forever. Ymmv on whether you like this system or not (and it's certainly easy to break the game in other ways) but to say it has no purpose is flat out wrong.

The hate for weapon degradation is so narrow and short-sighted.
It's is the basis for underlying value in every economy the game offers, and is an factor in the emergent combat.

I think it could be tuned better, sure. There's to many interactions with other systems that work really, really well to just criticize that mechanic in piecemeal.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The hate for weapon degradation is so narrow and short-sighted.
It's is the basis for underlying value in every economy the game offers, and is an factor in the emergent combat.

I think it could be tuned better, sure. There's to many interactions with other systems that work really, really well to just criticize that mechanic in piecemeal.
I'm fine with weapon degradation in general but the rate at which even higher level weapons break feels like a bug that never got fixed.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
I do wish that there was a way to craft weapons in BOTW. Maybe have a blacksmith type system that progresses with the hidden enemy leveling system. For example, at the beginning of the game you can only craft Travelers weapons then next step would be Knight's then Royal and finally Royal Guard level. This could be extended to the other tribes of Hyrule weapons.

Deleted member 17491

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The weapon system in the game is one of the worse things I've ever experienced in a video game.
Fully agreed. Despite lacking in some areas where Zelda games used to excel I could find enjoyment in the game, until my weapons broke yet again, and again, and again, and again. It made the combat loop (attack enemy -> weapon breaks -> pause -> select weapon -> ad infinitum ) so tedious that it felt like the game was trying its best to make me avoid combat. And it succeeded in that part, I quit the game.

If they offered a mode where you could play without weapon/armor durability I'd have played through the whole game. But as it now stands the game has been gathering dust since last year. BotW was such a major disappointment for me.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This right here should tell you what's up.

You would probably have found plenty to criticize about OoT if you hadn't played it as a child, in fact many criticisms were leveled at it at the time. The thing is that OOT worked in spite of the flaws it held then, and that's what's made it endure through the years. Guess what will happen with BotW.

Ok, I have to respond to this as that's overly dismissive of OoT. It's one of the few games I'd give a 10/10 to personally. That doesn't mean it's flawless as no game is. But it was damn close for me. And I wasn't a child when it came out, I was 20 when it hit N64 and replayed that version several times across N64 and Gamecube (Zelda bonus disc that had it and other Zelda games). I was 35 when I played the 3DS remaster which is even better.

That said, I agree that love for BOTW will endure through the years. My personally not liking it as much as the other console 3D Zeldas (well, I may like it better than Wind Waker I guess--tough call as that has the ocean I found boring to sail around while BOTW the open world I found boring to traverse) doesn't change that. My views just meshed with the lovers of OoT and don't with BOTW is all, and that's fine.

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
So much disregard for Skyward Sword yet it has a higher metacritic than Bloodborne.
SS gets so much hate and so much of it has to do with the Wii's motion controls. It was and is a genuinely incredible game. It's not perfect. Maybe it's a little too linear for my liking and maybe they added just a bit too much filler content. But it's still a truly great game IMO. When you raise your arm upright for the first time in the real world and Link reciprocates in the virtual one, you need to appreciate that surely? Such an incredible moment in video games.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I have to respond to this as that's overly dismissive of OoT. It's one of the few games I'd give a 10/10 to personally. That doesn't mean it's flawless as no game is. But it was damn close for me. And I wasn't a child when it came out, I was 20 when it hit N64 and replayed that version several times across N64 and Gamecube (Zelda bonus disc that had it and other Zelda games). I was 35 when I played the 3DS remaster which is even better.

That said, I agree that love for BOTW will endure through the years. My personally not liking it as much as the other console 3D Zeldas (well, I may like it better than Wind Waker I guess--tough call as that has the ocean I found boring to sail around while BOTW the open world I found boring to traverse) doesn't change that. My views just meshed with the lovers of OoT and don't with BOTW is all, and that's fine.
I personally love OOT. It's one of my favorite games ever. But it's not flawless was all I'm saying. Otherwise I agree with everything you said.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
SS gets so much hate and so much of it has to do with the Wii's motion controls. It was and is a genuinely incredible game. It's not perfect. Maybe it's a little too linear for my liking and maybe they added just a bit too much filler content. But it's still a truly great game IMO. When you raise your arm upright for the first time in the real world and Link reciprocates in the virtual one, you need to appreciate that surely? Such an incredible moment in video games.
I never actually played SS but didn't Red Steel 2 come out before it and have much more accurate and complex sword motion controls?

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Very interesting read. Definitely helps me better understand the appeal for many, and also why some of that didn't click for me.

From reading that I'm just not much into ambient stuff. I'm too much of a "go go go" type person, don't have a great attention span and need to be pretty constantly actively engaged in something. I'm not much for just relaxing and soaking things in, rarely sit and listen to music or have ambient music on etc. So I'm more into games where I'm constantly either engaged in active gameplay (combat, puzzles etc., not traversal/exploration) or consuming interesting story bits (cutscenes, well written dialogue etc.).

In any case, very itneresting and well written article, so thanks for sharing!