• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
lmao, ok Helena...

Uhh...
She is so close to getting it. The reason people are pissed off with her is that she is famous. That millions of people listen to her every word and idolise her so when she spouts her bile they hear her. The internet is full of assholes making hateful comments but they don't get newspaper articles written about them when they do.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
She is so close to getting it. The reason people are pissed off with her is that she is famous. That millions of people listen to her every word and idolise her so when she spouts her bile they hear her. The internet is full of assholes making hateful comments but they don't get newspaper articles written about them when they do.
Yep. Mixture of not understanding the harm and not appreciating its scope.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From Reddit :D

Kathy Burke a brilliant English actress gathered HBC many years ago and it still resonates to this day.
The year was 1996 and HBC complained in a Time Out interview that people didn't take her seriously because she was pretty and middle class. Kathy responded with the following letter to Time Out
"As a lifelong member of the non-pretty working classes, I would like to say to Helena Bonham Carter (wholly pledged member of the very pretty upper-middle classes): shut up you stupid cunt.""
Kathy explained she was not being aggressive, she said "Working-class actors loved it: "They were, like, 'At last!' The posh actors were a bit, 'Helena's my friend.' Well, you should be a better friend to Helena and tell her to stop being so fucking stupid. Yeah, it needed to be said and I was the person that said it."

View: https://twitter.com/kathyburke/status/1502941939427074050

"I love being 'woke'. It's much nicer than being an ignorant fucking twat."

Dec 2, 2017
Glad to see the BBC is happy to make and promote the next tv instalment of the strike series troubled blood which has already been called out for transphobia with rowlings name plastered all over it.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Everything I've heard about troubled blood suggests that even someone acting in the best faith possible would struggle to not make it transphobic. The best you could probably do is completely rewrite the villain to be more nuanced and less "cross dressing to deceive", maybe add some explicit trans and GNC characters to balance it out, explicitly support trans rights within the text...

Troubled blood by the BBC in 2022???? Oh no. It's gonna be terrible.

(And...does that mean they're planning to eventually adapt the Ink Black Heart???? Are they just going to have half the runtime dedicated to pointing a camera at a fake message board???? I've read the amazon preview, I can confidently say that transphobia aside, that book just sucks anyway and it would suck even more as a tv show)

Dec 2, 2017
Everything I've heard about troubled blood suggests that even someone acting in the best faith possible would struggle to not make it transphobic. The best you could probably do is completely rewrite the villain to be more nuanced and less "cross dressing to deceive", maybe add some explicit trans and GNC characters to balance it out, explicitly support trans rights within the text...

Troubled blood by the BBC in 2022???? Oh no. It's gonna be terrible.

(And...does that mean they're planning to eventually adapt the Ink Black Heart???? Are they just going to have half the runtime dedicated to pointing a camera at a fake message board???? I've read the amazon preview, I can confidently say that transphobia aside, that book just sucks anyway and it would suck even more as a tv show)
Apparently they will be doing the ink black heart as well.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 16, 2022
Ugh I guess we're adding Bonham Carter to the list 😒

www.telegraph.co.uk

JK Rowling ‘hounded’ by jealous people, says Harry Potter star

Helena Bonham Carter says if the author ‘hadn’t been the most phenomenal success’, reaction to her views on gender ‘wouldn’t be so great’
They really like to picture the criticism to her as coming from jealous people instead of people that are opposed to bigotry while generally ignoring or downplaying her bigotry.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
My mom who has no clue about the whole TERF thing just texted me saying that she rented her newest book and it was complete unreadable garbage.

JK is so lost in the sauce even her unaware audience is fed up with her ramblings.

Oct 29, 2017
They really like to picture the criticism to her as coming from jealous people instead of people that are opposed to bigotry while generally ignoring or downplaying her bigotry.
It doesn't help that the UK media by and large skips over the bigotry as well, I'm not inclined to give any of these people the benefit of the doubt as at the very least you should look into things before you speak, but I wouldn't be surprised if you pressed these people that 'voice their support' about whats actually been happening, they wouldn't be able to tell you.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
My mom who has no clue about the whole TERF thing just texted me saying that she rented her newest book and it was complete unreadable garbage.

JK is so lost in the sauce even her unaware audience is fed up with her ramblings.
This kind of mirrors what's happening in the conservative movement in the US (and probably elsewhere, but as an American this is the most observable to me), Fox News might as well be its own cinematic universe at this point and it's easy to get lost in the dozens of scandals and faux-outrages they put up every week.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017

People were laughing at the lenght of the book but you should never underestimate the demand of crime fiction junkies. But if the size is due to pages of just made-up tweets most people will propably get fed up quite quickly.

Maybe her next "novel" will be in the form of these autogenerated books that just contain wiki-pages.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
I don't dislike the idea of having a small section dedicated to forum posts, presented in a unique style. Loads of books have newspaper clippings, diary entries, etc., Which all get unusual formatting to sell them as pieces of media within the universe. And in small doses, it can help break up a long story!

But this is not a small break, this is a good chunk of what I read of the book's pretty lengthy preview. The formatting, aside from conversations happening at the same time, is not particularly interesting. It's not nice to look at. Apparently it's completely broken in some formats? And the actual story being told is boring and two-dimensionally mean-spirited, even if you (somehow) agree with JK's points.

If I wanted to read a story about people talking online, I would reread that one series of messages from the trans person who got really into investigating her parallel world selves instead of her own gender. It was funny! It was meaningful! It was honest! It wasn't 1000 pages long. The Ink Black heart wishes it was even comparable really.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I don't dislike the idea of having a small section dedicated to forum posts, presented in a unique style. Loads of books have newspaper clippings, diary entries, etc., Which all get unusual formatting to sell them as pieces of media within the universe. And in small doses, it can help break up a long story!

But this is not a small break, this is a good chunk of what I read of the book's pretty lengthy preview. The formatting, aside from conversations happening at the same time, is not particularly interesting. It's not nice to look at. Apparently it's completely broken in some formats? And the actual story being told is boring and two-dimensionally mean-spirited, even if you (somehow) agree with JK's points.

If I wanted to read a story about people talking online, I would reread that one series of messages from the trans person who got really into investigating her parallel world selves instead of her own gender. It was funny! It was meaningful! It was honest! It wasn't 1000 pages long. The Ink Black heart wishes it was even comparable really.

When I want to do that, I reread through my message board history that strikes me as really memorable, and enjoy (and often cringe) at the growth I have made as a person. Because, no fan fiction needed, it's documented growth of myself.

If I wanted to read others, I'd get into the weeds of whatever the current juicy stuff of the day.

Rowling is so self important, she had to spend a colossal book, mostly formatted as tweets, trying to tell the world she is the victim in all of this. So that nobody could see the massively approved replies to her shite that pointed out what a massive douchebag she was being to oppressed communities.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
She will continue to become more flagrant, and I don't know what form her rhetoric will take in the future, but it will be even worse and inevitably inspire more violence and oppression.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I mean she could start calling herself Adolf K. Hitler (pronouns: Der Führer) and call for the extermination of all minorities and the media would still not bat an eye at the sheer hypocrisy.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like she's a vacuous hole of hate with no clear line of thought than the value of cis-het white people.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I'm so tired of being scared the Terfs will win.

LGB Aliance doesn't get this scrutiny, it took push back from human rights groups for them to go to court..

But mermaids are now a direct enemy of the government.

I can't just be actively angry anymore. I'm exhausted.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
a brazilian libfem got an article in one of the biggest brazilian newspapers saying she is not a fan of the "people who menstruate" sentence and how it talks about women.

war flashbacks

steejee

Oct 28, 2017

"The Commission opened a regulatory compliance case into the charity in September 2022 after safeguarding allegations were raised. It has now formalised its engagement by opening a statutory inquiry, due to newly identified issues about the charity's governance and management."

That bit just screams "TARGETED"

Oct 16, 2022

Thats horrible and the mayority of comments are chering about it(I should have not view the comments).

You think that this maybe is worthy of is own thread?

One thing more I see while reading the comments was that multiple comments were asking them to do the same with https://twitter.com/Sistah_Space

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
An entire page for collating hate articles against trans people, christ.
Is the Sunday telegraph known for being a right wing trash mag? I've never bothered with any newspapers in this country

Dec 2, 2017
202zYhI_d.webp

1ZE8JQP_d.webp

S9CeI0s_d.webp

Fi0drWC_d.webp

The telegraph is at it again