entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.telegraph.co.uk

Daniel Radcliffe is surely the world’s most ungrateful man

The actor has once again sought to cancel his creator JK Rowling for believing that women are women and trans women are trans women

Fuck me.

The author has been responsible recently for an anti-NHS hit piece, some lovely body shaming of cabin crew workers, another lazy anti sexuality piece, endless fawning over Rishi and Charles and endless "Poor women victims of sexism" pieces interspersed by her only major comment on Liz Truss.... entirely about her dress sense.

"Creator" 🤮

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see some updates in this thread from people with influence speaking out.

Also I guess I need to read me some Clive Barker. My only real exposure to him was Undying (the game) and no idea how much direct involvement he had in that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
www.telegraph.co.uk

The actor has once again sought to cancel his creator JK Rowling for believing that women are women and trans women are trans women

Fuck me.

The author has been responsible recently for an anti-NHS hit piece, some lovely body shaming of cabin crew workers, another lazy anti sexuality piece, endless fawning over Rishi and Charles and endless "Poor women victims of sexism" pieces interspersed by her only major comment on Liz Truss.... entirely about her dress sense.

Ungrateful, lol.

As if Daniel is obligated to lick Jo's toes for the rest of his life because she wrote some books almost two decades ago. Fuck off, Telegraph.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.telegraph.co.uk

Fuck me.

JKR is Daniel's "Creator"? Lol

Are there any decent non transphobic medias left in the UK?
Honestly wondering.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
www.telegraph.co.uk

Fuck me.

so now its cancellation by silence? I don't think Radcliffe has mentioned her at all? So simply having a differing opinion means he wants to cancel her? Fucking insane

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
It's funny how these people always say that the HP actors owe their careers to JKR when one could easily argue the opposite. That it was the talents of the actors and everyone else involved in the films that helped carry the franchise for as long as it did.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Nice to see some updates in this thread from people with influence speaking out.

Also I guess I need to read me some Clive Barker. My only real exposure to him was Undying (the game) and no idea how much direct involvement he had in that.
Not related to JK but Jason Isacs took a stance recently on a similar issue

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonsfolly/status/1586880216877645826

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
It's funny how these people always say that the HP actors owe their careers to JKR when one could easily argue the opposite. That it was the talents of the actors and everyone else involved in the films that helped carry the franchise for as long as it did.

This is a fair point, the last book was released 15 years ago. Without the films, and thus without the sheer level of effort from WB, the studio tour etc would it be anywhere near the fandom it is?

Like TERFy Jo wouldn't have to work again but neither do a lot of other authors.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember where I heard this, but I think the rights for the first four harry potter films were sold for one million pounds, total. I'd happily take a million pounds any day, but given the size of the brand nowadays I think it's fair to say that in hindsight, Warner Brothers got a good deal on those movies.

This relatively cheap deal probably wouldn't have happened if the books were already the phenomenon that JK defenders would have you believe. The movies promoted the books, the books promoted the movies, both promoted the merchandise and videogames, there was a real media push that only really started once Warner Brothers got involved with the brand.

Yes, JK Rowling is a fundamental part of the beginning of many of these acting careers. But Daniel Radcliffe *is* Harry Potter in a very real way, because he's a talented actor, and the same is true for many of the others involved. They "created" JK Rowling just as much as she created them.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
Man the widespread cultural worship of JK in the early aughts really just melted a bunch of people's brains, huh? Daniel lent so much charm and personality to the character of Harry Potter than she ever bothered to. She should be the one thanking him.

May 26, 2018
It's quite amazing how she keeps siding more and more with the villains of the stories she's written. I wonder if she's even aware.

tumblr_lorltdvu1z1qc381d61.gif

Maybe she always did. We're just seeing what she had bottled up all those years she wrote "heroes" for the unwashed masses

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
www.telegraph.co.uk

Fuck me.

Holy mother of god the British press is truly something else, the level of stannery for Rowling is truly off the charts. She really is the Holy Pope of Terfdom with the way the media cannot dare allow anyone to besmirch her holy name.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just FYI, they are called the "Tory-graph" for a reason.

Paper has been in lockstep with conservatives for like a century. Boris Johnson was a columnist. Absolute garbage rag

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
so now its cancellation by silence? I don't think Radcliffe has mentioned her at all? So simply having a differing opinion means he wants to cancel her? Fucking insane
Yeah that's how the TERFs operate, just look at what happened to Graham Norton for saying "media should listen to trans people, not celebrities" when asked about JK's stance on trans people and "women's rights". Not being part of the cult means you're against it to them.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
www.telegraph.co.uk

Fuck me.

Well damn if I didn't speak too soon lol

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Holy mother of god the British press is truly something else, the level of stannery for Rowling is truly off the charts. She really is the Holy Pope of Terfdom with the way the media cannot dare allow anyone to besmirch her holy name.

She's a Mix of Alex Jones and David Duke but for the female purity / gender critical movement.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
They're all banking on the country continuing to slide further into fascism as its the only position from which the cunts of the future will smile down on them.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I think HP being as good as it is was because she wrote it during a time where she was less of an asshole. I'm still reeling at how a story like that could come from someone like her. Maybe stardom changed her, or she didn't have as much hate in her when she was writing it

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
I think HP being as good as it is was because she wrote it during a time where she was less of an asshole. I'm still reeling at how a story like that could come from someone like her. Maybe stardom changed her, or she didn't have as much hate in her when she was writing it
I would hesitate to say "JK used to be good but now she's bad" because...well, Goblet of Fire was pretty early on in her career.

Rita Skeeter has a ton of negative trans coding ("mannish hands", she's hiding a secret about her identity, she occupies a villainous role within the story, etc.), everything to do with the house elves and SPEW (wouldn't it be funny if slavery is good actually, and Hermione wrongly(???) campaigned for equal rights), pretty certain there's some fatphobia with the Dursleys too, it's not difficult to draw a line from that to the present.

That said, I do think there's something to be said about her getting worse in recent years. Her rampant transphobia is clearly consuming her in a way that it didn't previously, because she's now writing multiple detective books about the subject. You can cut SPEW from a film adaptation because it's a relatively minor plotline, but I don't think a non transphobic adaptation of Troubled Blood could exist without rewriting the story altogether.

And of course, she wasn't openly politically advocating for right wing causes in the early 2000s, which is really the big issue nowadays. If she was quietly transphobic yet didn't act on it, that would still suck, but I doubt as many people would care - but she is actively making it everyone else's problem.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I would hesitate to say "JK used to be good but now she's bad" because...well, Goblet of Fire was pretty early on in her career.

Rita Skeeter has a ton of negative trans coding ("mannish hands", she's hiding a secret about her identity, she occupies a villainous role within the story, etc.), everything to do with the house elves and SPEW (wouldn't it be funny if slavery is good actually, and Hermione wrongly(???) campaigned for equal rights), pretty certain there's some fatphobia with the Dursleys too, it's not difficult to draw a line from that to the present.
Damn, I didn't catch that about Rita. A reread would probably reveal a lot of these to me. Yeah I always found the SPEW and house elf stuff odd, but the message seems clear in hindsight

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
Shaun did a very good video about how in hindsight a lot of the stuff from Harry potter was indicative of her regressive views, the worst thing that can happen in her books is that the status quo is challenged which is why Hermione is wrong in her eyes to want to free the elves because "it's how it has always been" and how the wizardding world seems to revel in it's complete inequality with the normal world and how they must stay away from the lower muggles

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

Cool at first blush, however:
variety.com

David Zaslav Open to a Deal With J.K. Rowling on More ‘Harry Potter’ Content

Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav said he's open to the idea of working with controversial "Harry Potter" author J.K. Rowling on another title in the Wizarding World franchise.
The original reporting indicates they're all in on Rowling still 🙄 not that it's a surprise or anything, but yknow

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I would love to blame Rowling's transphobia for this, just to really rub her nose in everything she's done, I'm sure this is just a case of WB realizing these movies aren't any good and nobody cares about them. If they were making a ton of money at the box office WB would be pushing ahead with the five-movie plan regardless of Jo being a piece of shit.

NHarmonic.

â–² Legend â–²
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree. Without their charisma, the movies would be kinda bland. Specially the last ones.

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
As much as I would love to blame Rowling's transphobia for this, just to really rub her nose in everything she's done, I'm sure this is just a case of WB realizing these movies aren't any good and nobody cares about them. If they were making a ton of money at the box office WB would be pushing ahead with the five-movie plan regardless of Jo being a piece of shit.
Remember "all is well in flashland". If the movies had been doing well in the box office they would not care one bit. This has nothing to do with these two being awful people and everything too do with the movies bombing and any attempt to reframe it as something else is just WBD trying to create some good press for themselves

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it all comes down to the money in the end

WB like to tiptoe, but when the rubber hits the road they want profits and dont care about anything else

thats why they are already talking up new HP movies

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Harry Potter is still a gargantuan cash cow for WB, so even though Fantastic Beasts is done, they will 100% keep making movies set in that universe. They'll just try to keep Rowling's involvement as quiet or minimal as they can get away with.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really chalk that up to the last one being a bomb more than anything. They would've just recasted Miller like Depp if that last shitass film did any numbers.

WB has already made clear they don't give a fuck about trans folks, and Zaslav doesn't seem the type to change the sentiment.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
If you're in the UK, there's an NHS Gender Services Consultation to fill out that ends December 4th. As always, the form itself contains basically no information and makes responding really difficult, so Mermaids have put together a PDF document that explains things nicely and has some points to raise if you're looking for something to work with.

https://mermaidsuk.org.uk/news/nhs-england-youth-gender-services-consultation-tips-for-responding/

I've already filled it out myself, I tried to be positive where appropriate but there's so much to complain about that I got heated towards the end anyway 🙈

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If you're in the UK, there's an NHS Gender Services Consultation to fill out that ends December 4th. As always, the form itself contains basically no information and makes responding really difficult, so Mermaids have put together a PDF document that explains things nicely and has some points to raise if you're looking for something to work with.

https://mermaidsuk.org.uk/news/nhs-england-youth-gender-services-consultation-tips-for-responding/

I've already filled it out myself, I tried to be positive where appropriate but there's so much to complain about that I got heated towards the end anyway 🙈
Thank you for giving the heads up on this, great to see the charities come together to put guidance around it as well.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ugh I guess we're adding Bonham Carter to the list 😒

www.telegraph.co.uk

JK Rowling ‘hounded’ by jealous people, says Harry Potter star

Helena Bonham Carter says if the author ‘hadn’t been the most phenomenal success’, reaction to her views on gender ‘wouldn’t be so great’
JK Rowling has been "hounded" by jealous people, Helena Bonham Carter has said.
lmao, ok Helena...
The actor, who has worked closely with disgraced Harvey Weinstein and directors Roman Polanski and Woody Allen, blamed cancel culture – which she "hates" – on a lack of understanding by the perpetrators.

She questioned banning "a genius for their sexual practices", as she added: "There would be millions of people who if you looked closely enough at their personal life you would disqualify them.
Uhh...