• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing Snyder related here, what are you on about lol

The Snyder bros have absolutely been going apeshit on Jennifer Holland ever since Gunn was announced as taking over the DCU. Gunn and Holland have been getting a tidal wave of harassment, just because Harcourt was positioned by DC as the "we don't have the budget to pay Viola Davis to actually be in this movie in person" fill-in character during the last couple of DCEU films.

Even though those appearances were all filmed well before Gunn took over.

Teusery

May 18, 2022
I genuinely wonder if its worth it to respond to haters like this. On the one hand it combats misinformation (I wouldn't have known this about his wife's casting). On the other hand it's got to be never ending, when do you pick the battle?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
tons of directors cast their wife in their movies. It's fine. He shouldn't have to defend this.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely wonder if its worth it to respond to haters like this. On the one hand it combats misinformation (I wouldn't have known this about his wife's casting). On the other hand it's got to be never ending, when do you pick the battle?

I don't think it's worth it at all in the long term, my mental health is too important for that shit, but Gunn has said before he can handle it, so to each their own I guess

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
The person's handle is speaktruth4life, 0 following and 21 followers...lol. Not surprisingly also a Trumper and thinks women lie about rape if they don't go to police 2 seconds after it happened. Low tier shit poster.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that I agree or disagree, but I do think people forget that filmmaking is still an art, and that artists have muses sometimes. Just the way it is. I personally find it tacky, but she's pretty great in her roles and absolutely fits into his worlds just like his brother does.

You aren't losing a role that was never yours to begin with. If there is anything to be critical of it would be if she got the job and had the job from the start, but they still went through the dog and pony show of wasting people's time to audition.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Total non story and they shouldn't have to deal with that harassment. People cast friends and loved ones all of the time - see every Adam Sandler movie where he casts all of his friends.

Get a life, losers.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
She was also in Peacemaker right? I mean I don't really care, people need to get a life.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Jennifer Holland is also a genuinely great actress. If you want someone to gripe about this with, target Rob Zombie who keeps casting his wife in everything despite the fact that she can't act her way out of a paper bag and hasn't ever scored a role in a project that he didn't direct because of it.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Man who gives a fuck. This is the stupidest thing to be outraged about.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if Rob Zombie had to defend the decision behind giving roles to his wife. Bet he would be like "get fucked, nerd" or something less classy but fun.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Not a big fan of nepotism in general but its highly unlikely the type of people that are accusing Gunn actually care about that sort of thing and are just bitter assholes at this point trying to get under his skin.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't stay silent and let my wife get the harrasment Holland has been getting.

She is essentially just DC's Maria Hill and that's enough to get the chuds insane
I can sympathize with that, but if I was in his position I'd be keenly aware that me commenting on it is not going to change a thing. None of them are going to stop because Gunn tweeted back. So what am I doing but just inviting even more of that bullshit? It's not right, but I still think he should pay it no mind and just do his thing.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
There was someone complaining about David F. Sandberg doing the same in the Shazam thread. Weird thing to post about.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I mean theres really no industry in the world that is a pure meritocracy. Its all about networking and who likes you.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
It's ok for him to defend his wife but Gunn just needs to stop being so terminally online in general. For his own health.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
These internet hate bombs are pathetic.

Go find something else to do instead of yelling at celebrities on casting decisions.

Oh no, they found something worse.

/rant done

fancyarcher

Oct 29, 2017
What about Paul W.S. Anderson and Milla Jovovich? In a perfect world, he would stop making movies all together.

Milla Jovovich has been acting long before she even met PWSA. It's not even that bad, even if the movie themselves are subpar.

A better example would be Sheri Moon Zombie, who sole non Rob Zombie credit is an episode of Californication.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
When it comes to normal jobs, there should always be fairness and transparency in place to prevent those in power hiring who they want instead of the best people for the job.

For stuff like acting though, ultimately that's art and if a director decided to cast his wife in every film he makes (like Rob zombie), that's ultimately his decision to be make and has nothing to do with fairness or equality.

People are free to judge a product accordingly because of the hire but people getting pissed off about ultimately an artist's decision on what brush to use to paint their picture is ridiculous.