Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
[Alexandros] will stream their ZOZO Stadium Show from 2018 later at 9pm (Japan Time)
35k fans, a sick setlist, should be a great time! Also looks like it'll be archived for a few days.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Youtube Japan is launching tomorrow the Youtube Music Week to keep people home during the Golden Week, featuring 49 artists such as Gesu no Kiwami Otome, Genie High, THE ORAL CIGARETTES, Aimer, 04 Limited Sazabys, Quruli, UVERworld, iri, Hentai Shinshi Club, Ieiri Leo, Nulbarich...
Looks like it'll be a mix of old concerts and other kinds of program.

Here's the schedule

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Age Factory uploaded all their songs from their newest album (it's sick as hell) on Youtube, they all have a neat little video loop to fit the mood as well

www.youtube.com

Age Factory Official Audio

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Already posted Age Factory's new album, so here are the other noteworthy releases of the week (Hentai Shinshi Club releasing their EP tomorrow, and Gesu no Kiwami Otome releasing their album friday)

THE ORAL CIGARETTES with their 5th full album. It's just fantastic. A few "classic" tracks to please old fans, but overall it's clear that they're moving to the next step, and I'm all for it. They've got what it takes to diversify their repertory with a lot of different influences, without being stuck into the rock field.

Awesome City Club bring their first album since their move from Victor to Avex, and it's another A+ release. One of the best pop bands around, it pains me that they're still not bigger.

The charismatic rapper KOHH is done with music, at least under his current alias. This meaty last album allows him to go out with a bang. Hopefully we'll see him doing other projects.

Somehow, Da-iCE are still flying under the radar (and I was guilty of not listening to them for a while) despite being one of the most talented boy band out there.

New material from BALLOND'OR and Paledusk are also worth checking out.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Yuuuup, new Gesu rules.
Favorite new songs would be フランチャイスおばあちゃん, マルカ, 人生の針, 問いかけはいつもためらうために.
Also a pleasure to rediscover the previous singles in the context of the album.

Last edited:

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017

Not only there's the new Gesu album today, but FINALLY Mizuni Ukikusa released their two albums for streaming/download!
Today's a great day.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I recently discovered Bump of Chicken's full discography was on Spotify, man I love them.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
LOL the physical release of Gesu's album will have a special edition that has a baumkuchen cake instead of the CD (you still get the lyrics booklet tho lmao). Touted as the first CD with an expiration date!
I'll stick with the vinyl record version haha

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Oh, do you have a lot of J albums on wax?
Only have Dos Monos's Dos City, and Kotori's Revival (my brother also got me Ghost in The Shell's OST if that counts)
I want to get more stuff going forward so if an artist releases both a CD version and a record version, I'll try to get the latter if I can. I don't even care that much about the sound itself, but I do like having a big cover art.
Not always easy with limited pressings/store exclusives etc... tho. Dos Monos' was released by their American label so it wasn't a hassle. Had to ask a Japanese friend for Kotori's album since she was also buying it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
HMV's been my go-to for Japanese vinyl releases, though I'm not sure how their shipping is these days (I know EMS/SAL is now shut down to the U.S. but Amazon's DHL shipping still works for Canada; I think HMV uses EMS but not totally sure). They have a convenient upcoming vinyl releases page that serves as my Japanese equivalent of r/VinylReleases, though not everything makes it there. I think the recent Nujabes repress of Modal Soul was on the Dance/R&B page instead, for example. Still, HMV tends to put stuff on the site faster than Amazon.co.jp, and sometimes Amazon doesn't bother putting anything up at all.

Jet Set's another good place for vinyl that ships overseas, but you'll have to do some on-the-fly translation of their site if you don't understand Japanese. I've ordered a few things from there, though, mostly limited pressings and Record Store Day stuff.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
HMV's been my go-to for Japanese vinyl releases, though I'm not sure how their shipping is these days (I know EMS/SAL is now shut down to the U.S. but Amazon's DHL shipping still works for Canada; I think HMV uses EMS but not totally sure). They have a convenient upcoming vinyl releases page that serves as my Japanese equivalent of r/VinylReleases, though not everything makes it there. I think the recent Nujabes repress of Modal Soul was on the Dance/R&B page instead, for example. Still, HMV tends to put stuff on the site faster than Amazon.co.jp, and sometimes Amazon doesn't bother putting anything up at all.

Jet Set's another good place for vinyl that ships overseas, but you'll have to do some on-the-fly translation of their site if you don't understand Japanese. I've ordered a few things from there, though, mostly limited pressings and Record Store Day stuff.
Thanks, the HMV list is pretty useful!
I used to buy my CDs on HMV Japan until like 2015-ish, but always getting customs fees made me switch to Amazon Japan where you already pay an extra for customs clearance when you order (it's still waaaaaay less than what I used to get with my HMV orders, like 1/3).

That being said... huh.. I wanted to pre-order Gesu's record on Amazon Japan, but it's showing me insane shipping fees for France (8000+ yens) even though it's usually around 2000 yens for packages of that size/weight (looking at other 2LP Japanese records for reference). What the hell. Maybe it's a mistake... ? lol

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Finally listening to Maharajan after seeing his "unique" album covers (no it's not him) for months and... damn that's some great funky pop.

Neol

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who are unaware there a bunch of artists releasing concerts throughout this week on youtube for free.

www.youtube.com

YouTube Music Week STAY HOME #WITHME

YouTube Music Week Stay Home #WithMe は、国内のアーティスト、音楽レーベルの方々の協力のもと実施する プログラムです。 4 月 29 日〜 5 月 6 日に様々なライブ映像が YouTube で公開されます。ゴールデンウィークは家で一緒に音楽を楽しみましょう! #YouTube...

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Nogizaka46 will be streaming their 3 Tokyo Dome shows from their 2017 tour starting from today.
Shiraishi was supposed to graduate from the group this week, and 3 Tokyo Dome concerts were scheduled as her send-off. Unfortunately they're postponed due to corona, so this is a way to give fans a little something.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, the HMV list is pretty useful!
I used to buy my CDs on HMV Japan until like 2015-ish, but always getting customs fees made me switch to Amazon Japan where you already pay an extra for customs clearance when you order (it's still waaaaaay less than what I used to get with my HMV orders, like 1/3).

That being said... huh.. I wanted to pre-order Gesu's record on Amazon Japan, but it's showing me insane shipping fees for France (8000+ yens) even though it's usually around 2000 yens for packages of that size/weight (looking at other 2LP Japanese records for reference). What the hell. Maybe it's a mistake... ? lol

Yeah, I've been trying to wean myself off all things Amazon myself, but two-day shipping to Canada plus pre-paid import duties are a really big deal. I've been pretty lucky with HMV packages so far, knock on wood, but the peace of mind of pre-paying is really nice.

Re: Gesu, I also get a ridiculously high shipping rate. I've heard from a record label in Hong Kong (Neoncity Records) that they're having an especially tough time shipping out vinyl, but Amazon uses DHL so I don't think that's affected in the same way. I tried to check shipping costs on HMV but they've completely suspended international shipping for the time being. A quick survey of upcoming releases shows mostly normal shipping rates but a few other releases have ridiculous costs--this Satoko Shibata 7-inch costs more than twice the list price to ship to Canada, for example. Maybe it'll fix itself in time?

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Yeah, I've been trying to wean myself off all things Amazon myself, but two-day shipping to Canada plus pre-paid import duties are a really big deal. I've been pretty lucky with HMV packages so far, knock on wood, but the peace of mind of pre-paying is really nice.

Re: Gesu, I also get a ridiculously high shipping rate. I've heard from a record label in Hong Kong (Neoncity Records) that they're having an especially tough time shipping out vinyl, but Amazon uses DHL so I don't think that's affected in the same way. I tried to check shipping costs on HMV but they've completely suspended international shipping for the time being. A quick survey of upcoming releases shows mostly normal shipping rates but a few other releases have ridiculous costs--this Satoko Shibata 7-inch costs more than twice the list price to ship to Canada, for example. Maybe it'll fix itself in time?
Hmmm, wait and see I guess.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Found this Shoegaze band in a weird way. The guitarist started following me on twitter, and I'm pretty sure it's because I posted this tweet where I taught one of my Animal Crossing villagers about Shoegaze hahaha.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Recently got into Ryu Matsuyama (both the name of the frontman and the band, like Bon Jovi lol) and this is some good stuff. Sweet piano pop with hints of alternative rock. Their latest album features Hitsujibungaku's vocalist, as well as mabanua.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Man I've been trying to get into yonawo for a couple of months (a friend is always raving about them, as well as Kawatani Enon) but they just lack a je ne sais quoi to completely grab me. I think it's due to the vocalist, his voice needs that extra oomph.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
Utada just dropped her new song "Time"

I really like it, it's a nice mix of her old school R&B sound and her recent music.

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017
Dang. Still not available in the US on Spotify. Though your description is how I would describe the preview of that song. Hopefully it's available by tomorrow here.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France

Good news : Rekishi and Hanaregumi are now available on streaming platforms. Rekishi is fantastic, catchy as hell and full of references to Japanese history that are guaranteed to fly over my head. Had a lot of fun when I saw him at Countdown Japan in 2016.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France

The new Utada Hikaru is produced by Obukuro Nariaki, so it gives me an excuse to repost his 2019 album that was wonderful

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
The new Hikki single is great. A mix of her old R&B roots along with newer sounds. Pleasant surprise for me since I didn't know it was coming out today!

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
King Gnu will stream 15 live songs tomorrow. They're taken from their Studio Coast show, and their Hibiya Yaon show that took place last year. The quality of their live performances is pretty mindblowing, so definitely check it out.
The archive will be available until may 31st.