• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017

After giving downy's 7th album another listen, I still really like it, but I love the 6th more. Listening to that again. I think an album that was released when I saw a band perform their music will maybe make me biased, but it's such an incredible sound. I love the vibe of the songs, and the timbre of their instruments is just perfect.

Kansoku

I find it hard to choose a favorite between the two. 6th felt like the evolution of the 5th sound, and it's certainly fantastic, but 7th feels really different since they ended up having to compensate for Aoki Yutaka not being there anymore (rip), and I like this new direction a lot too.
Right now I'm feeling the 7th more, probably because it's new. Once "the dust settles", I might look back and feel differently. Regardless of that, I'm supper happy they were still able to evolve without losing their sound.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Dunno if it's actually a really common aesthetic and I just don't see it around (I guess it's kind of a modern take on an 80s Japanese TV ad look?), but this is eerily similar to a video I saw a while back:

I don't think SHE IS SUMMER is actually swiping anything, probably just very similar influences or creative team or whatever. I feel like Lililips had similar art direction on their album covers too.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Dunno if it's actually a really common aesthetic and I just don't see it around (I guess it's kind of a modern take on an 80s Japanese TV ad look?), but this is eerily similar to a video I saw a while back:

I don't think SHE IS SUMMER is actually swiping anything, probably just very similar influences or creative team or whatever. I feel like Lililips had similar art direction on their album covers too.

I'd say it's just a fairly common style when you want to do a simple yet colorful music video. Lucky Kilimanjaro also had a MV in that spirit last year. I'm sure I've seen like at least 10 others like this.

Also reminds me of Czecho no Republic's MUSIC

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's just a fairly common style when you want to do a simple yet colorful music video. Lucky Kilimanjaro also had a MV in that spirit last year. I'm sure I've seen like at least 10 others like this.

Guess so!

pastel colour palette: check
flat backdrops: check
jauntily animated illustration overlays: check
vaguely low-contrast look: check

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017

It's not even the first SHE IS SUMMER video that looks like that (not exactly like it, but similar vibes):

Also, this trio looks a lot like discount Perfume with those hairstyles hahaha.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Don't forget that cool collab she did on Daichi Yamamoto's album

Hoshino Gen is uploading some old live footage on his Youtube this week, always a pleasure.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Is Official HIGE DANdism releasing a new song? I saw it pop up on Spotify but don't think it's available here yet.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Is Official HIGE DANdism releasing a new song? I saw it pop up on Spotify but don't think it's available here yet.
Out April 10, so it depends on your timezone👍🏻

Klang Ruler (especially the frontman and his other projects) are going to be one of the must-see acts of this decade, I can feel it. Time to jump of the bandwagon so you can be a cool kid 3 years from now!

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Nobody posted new Tokyo Jihen?

Maybe I get why it wasn't posted before. It's very different.
Edit: More than different. This is mostly boring.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Nissy's Tokyo Dome show is available for free on his Youtube channel 👍🏻

Arashi are also blessing us with their Untitled tour (it's not the entire show, but it's still 2 hours long)

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Out April 10, so it depends on your timezone👍🏻

I think they might be my new favorite group now, love them.

Also Johnny released the full concert of Arashi's [untitled] concert from 2017-2018, it's near 2 hours and pretty great. It's noted that it's a limited time release though.

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017
Kurita I'm going to guess you were the one that brought up the band Tokyo Dots (aka ".........") I finally got around to listening to them yesterday. Their last album. Let me start by saying they must be the worst searchable band in the history of the internet age. What a dimwitted decision to name your band 9 ellipses, but then go one step further and not make it 9 periods. You can't even search them in Spotify loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. They just happened to appear as a "recommended" so I clicked on them. But yeah it's not like you can put in unicode into Spotify either to create whatever dots are their actual typeface. I was wondering why they had such little amount of plays. Way less for what this band sounds like. I know music is subjective but Tokyo Dots sounds too good to not have at least 15000 listens to all their songs and aren't too cooky crazy to where people would be confused by their music. Like there is much worse music out there in the less marketed areas of the music world that doesn't have this issue all thanks to a obtuse name.

And of course when I'm looking at the band history they disbanded. No surprise there. Total self sabotage out the gate.

Anyways, this song is amazing.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any bands similar to Official Hige Dandism? They've pretty much become my favorite. I've been listening to them on repeat over the last few days.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Are there any bands similar to Official Hige Dandism? They've pretty much become my favorite. I've been listening to them on repeat over the last few days.
You might enjoy the band Omoinotake (they're friends with them)

Solo artist Fujii Kaze

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but Macaroni Empitsu are wonderful

SHE'S are cool too

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Kurita I'm going to guess you were the one that brought up the band Tokyo Dots (aka ".........")

I don't really remember, it might have been stump sock? I know I listened to that free album released on Ototoy back in the day, but that's all.
As for their short-lived career, I feel like that's just how the world of underground idols works lol, groups come and go so quickly. I think their ... "peculiar" concept had a fairly dedicated cult following.

New THE NOVEMBERS

Last edited:

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017
Mass of the Fermenting Dregs looking to putting out a limited vinyl run for an upcoming single "You". Personally just going to wait for a digital version, but hey I know we got some vinyl heads in this community or on this site (or lurkers).

qrates.com

YOU

MASS OF THE FERMENTING DREGS is an alt-rock/post-hardcore/shoegaze trio from Japan known for a tightly arranged, guitar-driven sound and melodic pop vocals. This year we will be performing at ArcTanGent Festival in the UK. So we've decided to raise the funds and produce limited edition vinyls...

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Frederic uploaded their full Kobe World Memorial Hall show from 2018. You've got two weeks to enjoy it!
Great way to discover this wonderful band in case you've been living under a rock these past 6 years.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
The new THE NOVEMBERS track is pretty nice.

And of course when I'm looking at the band history they disbanded. No surprise there. Total self sabotage out the gate.

You might be interested in RAY, which is a new Shoegaze idol group, backed by the same management team as Dots.

r-a-y.world

RAY Official Website

「圧倒的ソロ性」と「『アイドル×????』による異分野融合」をコンセプトとする新時代のアイドル活動『RAY』の公式ウェブサイト。

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Haven't listened to Scenarioart in like 3 years but this new song is neato. Will listen to their new album.

New THE ORAL CIGARETTES is lit

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Akai Koen's new album is splendid. Already my favorite work by the band.

Other noteworthy releases of the week for me

Domico's newest mini-album. Still a criminally underrated band, Sony needs to push them more.

OKAMOTO'S' best of. 4 new tracks, some "rare" ones as well, and a lot of fan favorites. Great way to discover them. It's a blast.

TK's new album. Haven't listened to him in a minute, so it's cool to dive again in his universe.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
From my Youtube recs.
For people who like ZutoMayo/Yorushika and the dozens of other similar projects. As always, it's not bad at all, but I honestly can't tell the difference between most of these now.

Always had a hard time liking BAD HOP (too close to the type of Western trap/whatever it's called hip-hop I hate), but I have to recognize that their latest single is pretty solid. Guess I'll check out their upcoming album.

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Tokyo Jihen uploaded a bunch of live song footage.

stump sock I know it's not exactly what your collection is about, but I made this for you.
XoJFZZ7.gif

Last edited:

stump sock

Oct 25, 2017
noted (I gave up on tumblr when it died and 90% of the people I followed stopped posting)

e: I should probably just move it to twitter or something

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Finally listened to RAY's album. Pretty damn good, albeit a bit front loaded. Blue Monday was a big surprise, best song on the album for sure.

赤い公園's THE PARK was also really nice. Mutant is a pretty weird way to start the album (in a good way), and the rest is pretty good (chiffon girl aside, God I hate random rapping in pop/rock albums...).

From my Youtube recs.
For people who like ZutoMayo/Yorushika and the dozens of other similar projects. As always, it's not bad at all, but I honestly can't tell the difference between most of these now.

C'mon Kurita, I've been posting ツユ here for ages, you have to pay more attention =P

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Yeah my brain just sees an anime-ish thumbnail and puts it directly in the same folder.

Pecori being featured on Akai Koen's new album gives me a good excuse to (re)post his great band Odd Foot Works

The bassist recently released a new album with his side-project Zatta, and it's dang good. Highly recommended.