Status
Not open for further replies.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, I think Days Gone 2 not happening is good, there's nothing risky or fresh or interesting about that game to me. HOWEVER, I would hope that the studio would instead be working on something else and trying a new IP or resurrect an old one, so are they working on something like that or just being support now I don't get it?

But what is baffling and crazy to me is that what Naughty Dog has been working on is a remake of their own game from some years ago?! Probably with Pedro Pascal's face slapped onto Joel's for the TV show?! A remake of The Last of Us means we've officially jumped the shark on "remakes" and it's time to fucking stop them, but this is fucked up for multiple reasons because is this really what the Naughty Dog team been wanting to do? Instead of, you know, working on something new like they did before and turned out to be those highly successful games? This is just baffling and stupid especially when your direct competitor owns more than double your studios now. What's next, 2018 Spiderman remade and rereleased in 3 years?!

ramboma

Jul 18, 2019
lots of reactions about sony being arrogant, cocky, etc for remaking TLOU, but in a corporate setting you're given the exact reason why. small team wanted to impress big sony, so they take on a very safe project to prove their worth. it's not like jimbo walked into ND and shouted "remake TLOU! it looks ancient, why would anyone want to play it?", just seems like sony making use of whatever resources they got.

the main takeaway here is that sony sucks for not giving the team the chance, that they're not supportive of riskier projects. if all you got from this article is that sony are dumb for remaking a 2013 game, then you're kinda on sony's side here.

Aveis

Oct 28, 2017
Timisoara
They are remaking the last of us? The last of us? Really now?
That game isn't even old and it still plays brilliantly
The way they are going now is so disheartening, the reason I enjoyed Playstation games over the years were because of those risky game, but to them going like this
Ugh

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
"I wish sony keeps focusing on the AAA single player experiences that I love"

250px-Monkey_paw.png

Hahahaha.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Yes you did, you writing "im not" and imediatly making a point when they are comparable doenst change your initial ideia. Again, there is nothing even close to mattrick so your first point is wrong no matter anyway you try to justify.
No I am not comparing them. I think Mattricks was much worse than Ryan is. This was more a point about the argument "well they are doing fine" that sometimes get used to dismiss criticisms. That's was the whole purpose of the example.

To put it differently. The example simply shows that doing great currently doesn't mean you will do great forever and decision you make today can effect how consumers perceive your company in 1-10 years. Don't get me wrong, Sony is doing a lot of good things and I am sure they'll be fine overall, but the report is still disappointing imo.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every generation Sony will find a way to sell us full price TLOU1. For ps6 we will get an adaptation of the tv show that's based on the first game.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
With the way gamers reacted to tlou2 and certain scenes......... tlou1 remake gonna sell like hot cakes lmfao.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Surprised to see so much love for Days Gone in here.

Same. It didn't really strike a chord with me (aside from the nice bike trips in Oregon). Still, I see Bend has a talent of it's own which I'd like them to use on their own title. But ressources to do large scale projects is scarce enough that they took the decision to give up on that (which can be questionable, but I demand to see the result before screaming at them).

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
Playstation always gives numbers when they think they are good.
No giving DS and DG's numbers has always been a red flag

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us and 'bombs' in the same argument is always hilarious to see.
I heard the exact same would happen with TLOU2 from many, and we all saw what happen with that.

TLOU Remake will sell like hot cakes.
I'm a massive last of us and PlayStation fan. The last of us doesn't even feel slightly old enough to even warrant a remake it even still looks good now. It's such a. Dumb decision I hope it fails spectacularly. Especially when it's available on ps5 anyway.

Sony ran out of ideas and after a quick buck. Bet they have the audacity to charge £70 for it too.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
for those into a tlou remake, seriously how many times do u guys need to replay it? do u one a remake of it every gen?

not even nintendo is that ridiculous with ocarina of time.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So, the risk averse Sony meme-fication has some genuine substance to it after all.

Looks like the days of Yoshida finally done.

Well, given we are unaware of Sony's long term internal strategies under the new management, should they be undone by their own shortcomings then well, that's on them.

May 17, 2018
The only thing that *kinda* goes against this is the recent update about increased commitment to Media Molecule.

Unless MM is about to make a third-person cinematic rated-M game. Which wouldn't surprise me after the way Ryan's run things.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
E: I see that a thread about this article has already been posted. Could a mod close this one please?

The biggest surprise to me is that they're remaking TLoU - the game isn't that old and doesn't need a remake, that seems bizarre to me. Make some new stuff!

One has to wonder if it is intended to be a PC port or something because remaking that game makes less than zero sense with how new it is with a PS4 upgrade.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Best to read the article.

The remake of TLoU2 is rather bizarre, and I hope it doesn't take up too much resources, particularly from ND. Feel for the original staff who were working on it, because it could have helped build a new studio. On the other hand, doesn't seem like Hulst was too much into it the idea from the get go, which I can understand. The Bend Studio one is interesting, and makes sense why some people left the studio. There being a new Uncharted makes me happy, especialy if it is not by ND, since I want them to do new stuff. It seems it is by Bend? With some of their leadership going on to a new game, which I am happy enough if it isn't DG2. DG didn't really appeal to me.

All in all, not a great look, but not catastrophic like some of the takes in here who probably haven't read the article.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
There are just so many more things I'd want these studios doing than a remake of a game that still holds up fine today and isn't even 10 years old...

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
Yall, this is the kind of stuff I was worried about when the Japan Studio downscaling started. Doing a remake of TLOU is legit the safest and boring win for Sony I've ever could have seen. It's incredibly disappointing to see a remake of TLOU literally one gen after its remaster. But the real troublesome stuff is if Sony truly is moving their smaller teams around to support ND/continue ND's properties. I think the Naughty Dog team is very talented at what they do, but we really don't need more Uncharted/TLOU type games when more of Sony's IP moves to match those games in terms of style.

Sony creating an over-reliance on third-party/indie titles to fill that "non-blockbuster" niche is fine, but it may backfire in the long run in the case said third-party support decides to jump ship from Sony. The other platform holders are indeed at times reliant, but they aren't 100% locked down by third party/indie titles as their niche titles, they also make small first-party games to balance the heavy hitters. The balance between big titles and small titles is important when creating a diverse portfolio of exclusives that can get everyone, both those into blockbuster titles and those that aren't, excited about.

I feel bad for all the devs that were unable to make their dream projects though, tis a shame.

And for those saying that Sony is still doing fine as a business and that's what ultimately matters, congratulations, you've become a stockholder and not a videogame enthusiast. Enjoy seeing your favorite corporation make millions having lost some of its soul.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Jimbo + Hulst. The new Dream Team.

I read the whole thing, and it makes sense, to be honest, lol.

I'm not a Jimbo fan, but he's not involved in this. Herman is making the call here, and regarding the points of:

- Bend not working on Days Gone 2.
- Bend helping Naughty Dog for a year and a half.
- Bend getting another chance at a new IP.
- Uncharted being moved back to Naughty Dog.
- Michael Mumbauer's team's remake of The Last of Us having too high a budget and getting moved to Naughty Dog, without really having a full commitment from SIE in the first place.

I understand these decisions.

What I agree with Jason on however is how Sony has shut down Japan Studio to focus on blockbusters not being great. It's a blessing it seems that Media Molecule didn't get the cut. They clearly want to grow from the last generation and have a different angle to Xbox, but this doesn't seem sustainable in the long term.

I Will also add, no one is clearly reading the article, and Jason, jesus that's quite the title for your article to start another PR disaster.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I fucking love The Last of Us...and I don't need a remake. I guess this is to tie in with the HBO series similar to the Ratchet remake and its movie? That didn't end the best for purist fans of the original game.

I don't really have much of a problem with Sony chasing blockbusters if we get games as great as we've gotten over the last gen, but it sucks to feel like some of that more wild creative spirit is being left behind.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
We could see this coming from miles away, but Sony basically stopping making AA hurts so much, they have some of my favorite IPs from PS1/PS2 but I should not expect anything anymore :(
RIP Ape Escape, we could never get the 3rd game with their PS2 on PS4 program.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
Do we really need a The Last of Us Remake? Also I'm glad there won't be a Days Gone sequel. The talented folks at Bend Studios can work on a much better franchise. hint Syphon Filter

finally

Jul 22, 2019
most of sony non AAA games underperformed or flopped, (Dreams, Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Medievil...etc) So I can't really blame them!

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I think not making Days 2 makes sense. One, sequels always cost more especially with it being a PS5 game. Two, I really don't think the first got great reviews or sold all that well. It did ok. A lot of people are talking about it now, but it's been free as a part of the PS plus PS5 collection and it's been on some super sales. How many people would buy a $70 Days Gone 2. That sounds like a hard sell.

You can say the exact same thing about Horizon: Zero Dawn lol. None of that means anything about what the game actually sold.

Nezacant

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Fans to Sony: We'd love a 60 fps patch for Bloodborne.
Sony to Fans: Remake Last of Us... got it!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people saying "TLOU, Sony what are you doing?"?

It wasn't "Sony" who commissioned it, a bunch of devs did it under their own steam and Sony didn't even support it.

Second paragraph of the article...

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
TLOU was literally perfect for what it set out to do. Why the freakin hell a remake was considered so soon?

Spicy Noodles

May 29, 2018
We are never getting Bloodbourne ps5 patch instead we are getting a remake of a game that they already made a remaster for ps4. Naughty Dog is turning into one trick pony.

Jan 29, 2018
Add me to those baffled by the idea of a Last of Us 1 remake. I get that it's 8 years old (and at least 9 by the time a remake comes out) but it still looks and feels relatively modern. If you want to reuse a bunch of TLOU2 assets make a side story or spinoff featuring new characters or something (unless the entire idea is to avoid having to do new VO and mocap, I guess).

It's disappointing that it seems Naughty Dog isn't working on anything 'new' at the moment. More Uncharted also sounds underwhelming (and I love Uncharted).

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
This is fucking ridiculous. A remake so soon makes absolutely no fuckin' sense, the game already has a great remaster.

And no Days Gone 2 is heartbreaking to me, I effin' loved that game and thought a sequel is a given, fuuuck.

Bend deserves better than to be relegated as a support for uncharted 1251251256, I'm glad at least they got out of it.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Well well well! Looks like the turn tables!

When are those die hard Sony fans going to see the smoke that has been building up? And by smoke is Sony dropping the ball lately and letting MS eat their cake? "Bu bu you guys should stop being negative!" Um it's not about being negative but being worried Sony's ship is being steered the wrong way!

I mean not letting Bend make DG2 even after porting on PC? Like I'm sure Bend could have made the pitch for both a PS5/PC and possibly a PS4 version too. Yet they were put to other projects which led some key people to leave? Hmm.

Then there is a TLOU remake that....no one has asked for? Oh wait a minute they rather a remake of this game because they want to ride the Part 2 money train instead of letting Bend make their game. And this project now seems to be up in the air. Dont get me started in the fact ND shouldn't be wasting resources overseeing such project. Either they manage it themselves or it shouldn't exist. But Sony wants another "blockbuster" again even if the game was a hit back in 2013 already? (The remaster is already good enough!)

This is bothering me now more. Sure they have a few projects cooking like Returnal and put out Destruction Allstars but they need to drop the "Holywood AAA single player" bullshit idea for all their teams.

God makes the shuttering of Japan Team more maddening. You know they rather fund these experiences over the unique stuff from Japan. Bitch we need that too.

Well have fun guys with this. Your Pal Sony is definitely not gonna stab you in the back as soon as the lights turn off in the scary movie we are all in.

Ps: not a "doom gloom" post. Just a post with my personal opinion on how I seem some internal things are playing out.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
Lots of posts ITT about Bend becoming a support studio. The article says that *isn't* happening, though it's probably a risk if their project doesn't go well:
Bend's developers feared they might be absorbed into Naughty Dog, and the studio's leadership asked to be taken off the Uncharted project. They got their wish last month and are now working on a new game of their own.

From Sony's POV killing Days Gone because they think they can get Bend to make something that'll be more successful isn't a bad decision.

Mar 11, 2021
Maybe I'm crazy, but this doesn't really seem like Sony killing smaller studios, but Sony killing unnecessary projects.

Days Gone 2 is arguable, but a TLOU 1 remake? What for? It's one of the weirdest ideas I've heard, it's a game that sure, it's two gens away right now, but holds up 100%.
Agreed. The article seems very tilted and inflammatory for what it actually covers. I don't think Sony has the best first-party strategy, but I don't think the decisions highlighted in this article deserve much, if any, criticism.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well, i like their focus on blockbusters but i see why people may be upset

merchantdude

Oct 29, 2017
Well, at this point I just hope that the TLOU remake doesn't take too much ND resources away from their other projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.