• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

View: https://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb/clip/FancyMiniatureFlamingoCoolCat-7rEmXXOcC-nYhL9s

It's being headed up by a brand new Seattle-based studio led by some ex-Monolith Productions developers (Shadow of Mordor, War). Here's some more info on the studio.

BP is very early in development. It'll be Single-Player only. EA is looking to replicate the success they found with Jedi: Fallen Order by increasing their premium, non-live service output.

The game opens with the death of Black Panther. The player is tasked with becoming his successor. (EDIT: Details were vague on this point, it's unclear whether you're playing as T'Challa after the death of his father, or a brand new character after T'Challa's passing).

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Will just repeat what I said in other thread:
Thank GOD it's not by Skydance New Media. I'm down with EA.

Hopefully they don't force Frostbite down their throat. If they're doing this because of Jedi Fallen Order, I imagine they're cool with Unreal.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Will just repeat what I said in other thread:
Thank GOD it's not by Skydance New Media. I'm down with EA.

Hopefully they don't force Frostbite down their throat. If they're doing this because of Jedi Fallen Order, I imagine they're cool with Unreal.
Why not skydance?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take it; hopefully EA does this one justice (hopefully)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I could see the Shadow of Mordor framework as a jumping-off point for a T'Challa game. Though they'd need to work a lot on making the actual in-game content more diverse and interesting.

I'll keep an eye on this but I rarely find that brand new from-the-ground-up AAA studios knock it out of the park with their first games, especially in an open world framework.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I don't want another Guardians of the Galaxy. I feel like Wakanda deserves to be a really open world and Skydance isn't big enough to make that happen. especially since they're working on Star Wars as well. Amy Hennig being the head makes me think it'll be similar to GoTG where the story will carry it but the rest of the game is meh.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Here's some details from the other thread:

• It's EA's game
  • Made by a new team
  • Open world RPG
  • Not a live service and very much inspired by Jedi Fallen Order's success

Think I caught all the details but:

* Single player game
* Very early development
* "Big, open world Black Panther game"
* The in-universe Black Panther is dead, so player is tasked with becoming the new Black Panther
* Comes from Seattle studio headed by ex-Monolith head
* Produced by EA, kicked off by the success of Fallen Order

Edit: He did not specify whether the Black Panther who died was T-Challa, or if we play T-Challa taking over for the previous one.

Last edited:

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Mordor was good. Too bad no nemesis system because with the tribes could be cool. Thank god multi platform

Oct 26, 2017
>EA
>When the game opens, Black Panther has died. The player is tasked with becoming his successor.

marvel-the-avengers.gif

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Doesn't sound all that interesting to be honest, but I'll wait for a gameplay trailer before I make up my mind at least. Makes it sound like a boring protagonist.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing that Black Panther has died makes this sound like a create a character situation, which would be unappealing. Not like there's a lot of T'Challa games out there already that they need to do this to stand out.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
No T'Challa as the protag? What the fuck :(

Open world Wakanda would be amazing, can hardly think of any more exciting capeshit adaptations for a video game. But man.

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
I'm in cautiously for this. I don't like the idea of a Create a Character replacing Black Panther though

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Ugh why'd it have to be open world. Not really excited for another superhero game regardless, but I'll reserve judgement until we see some in-game footage

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Why so hardline against Skydance?
Talked about it above:
www.resetera.com

Jeff Grubb: EA Publishing Single Player, Open-World AAA Black Panther Game

I don't want another Guardians of the Galaxy. I feel like Wakanda deserves to be a really open world and Skydance isn't big enough to make that happen. especially since they're working on Star Wars as well. Amy Hennig being the head makes me think it'll be similar to GoTG where the story will...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want another Guardians of the Galaxy. I feel like Wakanda deserves to be a really open world and Skydance isn't big enough to make that happen. especially since they're working on Star Wars as well. Amy Hennig being the head makes me think it'll be similar to GoTG where the story will carry it but the rest of the game is meh.

And honestly...I don't really think Hennig should be the creative lead of a Black Panther game. Get a Black head writer and a Black director. Bare fucking minimum, in my mind.

When the game opens, Black Panther has died. The player is tasked with becoming his successor.

Edit: I'm sorry what the fuck. Hell no. Not interested at all.

darksider321

Dec 8, 2020
Here's some details from the other thread:

So wait, are they claiming T-Challa is dead in this new universe and we are going to play as an OC to become Black Panther. A bit weird honestly to do that especially with the new movie doing that but considering that this is stil early in development. I will doubt we will see this being released until maybe 2027.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Fallen Order was fundamentally good, so hopefully that level of quality will be a priority here.

and please have wall bounce combos like so
MLogvj0.gif

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wait so T'Challa dies in the opening/is dead?

Oh no.

"Become the new Black Panther"... is this a create your own OC!?

Edit: It could be you play as T'Challa to replace the old Black Panther/his father. I need to read the comics again, forgot a lot of this.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I've made my peace with the MCU, but killing off T'Challa in the first BP game and possibly other forms of media is fucking terrible.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Wait what? you don't play as T'challa?

honestly given what's happened with Boseman I feel like "T'Challa is dead and you must replace him" is a pretty crappy premise for a BP game and even a bit on the distasteful side. Why not make it about T'Challa there's so much material the MCU will never get to touch with him

edit: eh not enough details. I hope that's not the case but maybe it's about T'Chaka dying and T'Challa taking the mantle. "The player is tasked with becoming his successor" makes it sound like some create-a-character type thing lol

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Is every related piece of BP media going to be about him being dead now? That seems pretty scummy to me if so.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
So wait, are they claiming T-Challa is dead in this new universe and we are going to play as an OC to become Black Panther. A bit weird honestly to do that especially with the new movie doing that but considering that this is stil early in development. I will doubt we will see this being released until maybe 2027.

He didn't specify, it could be that we're T-Challa and taking over for the Black Panther before us who died, or T-Challa died and the player is someone who is taking over for him. He was (potentially purposefully) vague about it.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
>EA
>can't play as T'Challa

Goddammit I really wish this was made by Sony instead, fingers crossed it turns out good