• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Oh I'm sure he has an idea. He just doesn't care.

And people here or on social will go to bat for him saying he's doing his "job". Many journalists have access to the same type of info and don't go spouting it, but Grubb's created a persona and platform off it and will milk the clout until it runs out.

A leak like this really benefits no one but Grubb (and I guess w/e's left of GB now). He's not divulging some fucked up industry thing that needs fixing or sharing important info that's helpful to anyone. It's totally self serving at the expense of real people that work on it.

Yep this is pretty much it. If he had any sense of self-awareness then "There's a AAA Black Panther game in development" would have been just enough without the extra vague info causing so much speculation and toxicity.

What makes this more frustrating is that the way he goes about it really drives your points home.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread yet but Friday during Kinda Funny Games Daily, Grubb was in their Twitch chat jokingly teasing this story to them like, "Well, I guess I won't tell you guys about the Black Panther game I just found out about!"

It's just weird and unprofessional for something that is so early, with details that aren't finalized at all.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Dear All Insiders:

Stop. Fucking. Leaking shit. This. Early. In. Development.
This. Leaking stuff very early helps no one, games change so much during development (And i admit that i have had my snark reaction to this earlier in the thread too and am at fault for it as well), that details 5 years early have so little bearing and what will be by the time the game is out, and all that they effectively do is create expectations based on extremely limited and filtered information. I am not saying that leaks are always a negative on the industry, but leaks this early in development do nothing good.

This has nothing to do with marketing, but even basic communication with fans is sullied by this.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It's just a new studio formed mainly by ex-Monolith devs, nothing more. Very common situation, Monolith is fine.
so is this a new studio? has there been a mass exodus at monolith? or are they using monolith's name just because they have a couple ex monolith devs? is everything ok at monolith?

i am confuse..

Monolith Productions is fine and they are working on Wonder Woman.

There's a correction to be made, this new studio is helmed by the former VP of Monolith Productions. As far as we know, we still have to see who's forming the actual team because it was founded in 2021 and they still have to reveal their name and starts hiring. We don't know if they have several Monolith devs, or brand new hires from new studios.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Dear All Insiders:

Stop. Fucking. Leaking shit. This. Early. In. Development.
It doesn't even help hype the stuff. It results in spirals of inevitable and practically unavoidable negativity. Let devs/publishers decide when they want to reveal their thing, and what info they want to put out. Please. God. Fucking hell.

well, it helps the insiders. so theres that.

theres a reason it took half a decade to convince jason schreier that leaking unanounced games is kinda pointless.

There's a correction to be made, this new studio is helmed by the former VP of Monolith Productions. As far as we know, we still have to see who's forming the actual team because it was founded in 2021 and they still have to reveal their name and starts hiring. We don't know if they have several Monolith devs, or brand new hires from new studios.

okay. i think was confused because the new studio doesnt have a name and the only name uttered was monolith

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Gotcha, thank you for the clarification Raigor!

Can't wait for the Wonder Woman game too.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
This. Leaking stuff very early helps no one, games change so much during development, that details 5 years early have so little bearing and what will be by the time the game is out, and all that they effectively do is create expectations based on extremely limited and filtered information.

And what you wrote here honestly also applies to those criticising the games industry for choosing to be "secretive" and questioning why they don't just announce everything years out from release like Marvel does.

Choosing to announce things when the people making them and publishing them are confident in the experience and that it's far enough along that it will actually release is nothing to demonise.

Just because Bethesda announced the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout 5, games everyone and their grandmother assumed would've been made and release anyway, is not the norm for everybody else.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
No one at this point in time is telling Grubb shit without expecting him to "leak" it. Ya'll should treat this like its a note from the studio saying "Come work with us on Black Panther."

pikachuizgod

Apr 19, 2019
Yep this is pretty much it. If he had any sense of self-awareness then "There's a AAA Black Panther game in development" would have been just enough without the extra vague info causing so much speculation and toxicity.

This is some mental gymnastics.
Yeah wasn't Mario & Rabbids basically ridiculed for months until we actually saw footage and people went, "hey actually that looks pretty good"

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah wasn't Mario & Rabbids basically ridiculed for months until we actually saw footage and people went, "hey actually that looks pretty good"
Yeah I think everyone was expecting it to be a cheap cash-in but it turned out to actually be really fun. I remember the big E3 showing being very well received.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thats' what I mean. Why is this sort of information matters so much specifically in gaming? Marvel MCU just gave a full roadmap for next several years with no issues.
You've probably been answered multiple times already, but the reason is due to how the games industry functions. Games can be worked on for years, hell the big ones can be for 4-6 years before they actually get released. That brings about a lot of intricate detailing and careful nurturing from the development team, a team that wants to in many ways control how their game gets shown.

Certainly there have been times where leaks have helped by stemming disruptive or damaging ideologies or concepts from coming to fruition, but they still have casualties. With the sheer volume of work and hors put into making a game, developers want to ensure it is seen in appropriate light. That versions in development and constantly changing are not seen as set in stone, that ideas can and will shift. Leaks damage that, take it away from the developers who rightfully should control their messaging.

Not to mention legality aspects. Leakers like Grubb never seem to give a hoot about what could be in the wings for advertisement, hiring, NDAs etc that breaking could damage. Grubb especially seems to give no care to the damage he's causing by claiming falsehoods for the sake of clout. That is disappointing and frankly unkind to the actual people working their asses off on something they love.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
As much as I hate console exclusives, I would have liked to see what Insomniac would have done with this. HOWEVER, let's see how EA handles this one

Bengraven