• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Can you Imagine if they allow white character lol 🤦‍♂️ This shitpost is going to be real.

E90ax-PWQAQR18t.jpg

Was about to post the same picture lol

Luckily sounds like not an actual character creator. Grubb just said player character and people are misconstruing it. I hope you play as T'Challa and it's his father who passed. Enough with the T'Challa eraser.

EA makes me hesitant but if they are modeling the game after their one good single player game in recent memory I guess I'm okay with it. Open world, hope you fly the ship around in real time.

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
This seems like one of those times to remember that insider types get the existence of and broad strokes correct but often don't have correct details about a project, or that project changes in the coming years, or they misunderstand something and inject their own personal biases. Doesn't seem worth getting too heated over yet.
Grubb did mention that some of the details he has may be from the initial pitch and not what the game is now. Hopefully it is just T'Challa.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Please please let us be playing as T'Challa taking over for his dad. I don't want a created character.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Also Black Panther is not a character I think is suited to an open world. That's for characters with a defining traversal like web swinging or The Batmobile (regardless of how that turned out).

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Excited to hear as it's not locked to goddamn PlayStation only and then finally moves to PC almost half a decade later.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Logically, a Black Panther game should open with T'Chaka's passing and T'Challa taking over. That's what SHOULD happen. Unfortunately, I don't trust them to do that and I think they might be fucking stupid and have some create-a-character type shit.

...Which would be interesting if it wasn't Black Panther, because it'd require a create-a-character that was only for black characters.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
In all seriousness, it sounds like the game is very early. I doubt it's worth clinging to story details that could or will change during development.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It has to be that T'chaka died and you play as T'Challa.

I think Grubb is not as historically dialed into Marvel as a lot of people on Era, which is fine. But something like this happened with his Midnight Sons leaks as well.

It could also just be that his source never hooked him up with names.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
T'Chaka into T'Challa is the only thing I will gladly accept. I don't want OC, I don't want some character creator shit.
I want T'Challa.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Also Black Panther is not a character I think is suited to an open world. That's for characters with a defining traversal like web swinging or The Batmobile (regardless of how that turned out).

I think they have enough tech avaiable to make that interesting with him (or her if its OC).

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would really bring people down if T'Challa were dead in this game. I think it would be best if the player is T'Challa and this is set just after the death of his father.

Let's hope so. Really don't like the idea of T'Challa's death becoming the inciting incident for Black Panther media going forward. Wakanda Forever is an understandable situation. But for it to happen in other forms of media? Nah.

Oct 26, 2017
Grubb needs to give me more info. I need to know who is lead designer for the game. Give me names.

Haven't played any of the Middle-Earth: Shadow games. I've heard those were pretty good, but still...

Its gonna have a character creator isnt it...
I'm sorry, but in what fucking dimension does it make sense that black fucking panther is the marvel hero that gets the oc treatment? Like that literal defeats the entire point of the character? And what I'm most worried about is are there gonna be white options? Because if so, you just know #gamers are gonna choose those options!

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Highly doubt it'll have a character creator, it's probably T'Challa or someone after him. These reactions are a lil wild lol

Reminds me when people thought we'd play as a created SHIELD character in the Avengers game.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
jesus 2 fucking lines of a leak of an initial pitch of a game and people are shitting their arses

thank god I'm not a game developer

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

I think Grubb is not as historically dialed into Marvel as a lot of people on Era, which is fine. But something like this happened with his Midnight Sons leaks as well.

Yeah he messed those details all up even though he was effectively right about the game's existence. Hopefully this is that too.

bb1173

May 1, 2022
I mean it has to be t'chaka dying and playing as a young unprepared t'challa. isn't it that in both comics and movies that the herb and BP mantle is only for the Royal family?

so if it t'challa who died, who would you play as? shuri? an OC family member? (unless ea ignore that bit of the lore)

there's a massive difference in how excited I would be playing as t'challa, and playing as some EA created character

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Extremely likely

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
I'm sorry, but in what fucking dimension does it make sense that black fucking panther is the marvel hero that gets the oc treatment? Like that literal defeats the entire point of the character? And what I'm most worried about is are there gonna be white options? Because if so, you just know #gamers are gonna choose those options!

The way Grubb spoke, it sounds like it's absolutely a black character. He specifically said something about how they weren't going to make a Black Panther game starring a white person.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I hope we play as T'Challa, I don't want it any other way. Other than that, EA has enough credit with me if they're trying to repeat the Jedi Fallen Order success.

I, for one, welcome this new single player overlord.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it has to be t'chaka dying and playing as a young unprepared t'challa. isn't it that in both comics and movies that the herb and BP mantle is only for the Royal family?

so if it t'challa who died, who would you play as? shuri? an OC family member? (unless ea ignore that bit of the lore)

there's a massive difference in how excited I would be playing as t'challa, and playing as some EA created character

How would you feel if it wound up being fuckin' Kasper Cole?

Is it in comic lore for Black Panther to be able to climb stuff like a cat? Would be pretty cool if we could climb up buildings and shit.

BP can do a lot of shit. He's like an infinitely smarter and more skilled Batman.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
man, that premise. Are they serious. First Black Panther game and this is what they go with?

Also... what if they have a character creator that lets you make a dude who isn't Black?

😬

Feb 21, 2022
Hell yeah give me a BP game.

I would rather have a linear and more focused experience like Raven Software's Wolverine game, but I'm not totally opposed to the open world aspect if they have a nemesis system again or something similar to it. That one single feature made the Mordor games worth playing!

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
I think it's extremely unlikely this is T'Challa dying. He said it's in early dev. If production started before Chadwick died then it's probably early enough that they'd change the concept if that was the case initially. If it started after then there's absolutely no chance they'd go for that, it's just silly to risk the backlash. Plus they don't get the marketing bullet point of "play as T'Challa just like the movie".

Grubb's exact wording on the game's pitch
OP
OP
Zebesian-X

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

mojo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tired of leaks in general so I'll falback and let them show me the game when they're ready and prove us wrong