Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish more super hero games would let us play as original player created characters behind the mask.

That's always been the fun thing with masked superheroes growing up. I could always project myself behind the mask. I'd like to live out my dream of being a super hero.

I get why Black Panther in particular would be a tricky road to walk down, but man I wish most super hero games would do this. I don't NEED to play as Peter Parker. I don't NEED to play as T'Challa. I don't NEED to play as Bruce Wayne. But I need to play as Spider-Man, Black Panther, Batman, Iron Man, etc.

Well the point is to get the whole package of what it means to be said character

Being Peter Parker means you get his life, his family and friends, his rogues, etc. Making all of that exactly the same, except you're just an original character in his place would just be weird and would stick out like a sore thumb

I mean sure a dev could do it, but idk why they would

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Can you Imagine if they allow white character lol 🤦‍♂️ This shitpost is going to be real.

E90ax-PWQAQR18t.jpg
kill me

Well the point is to get the whole package of what it means to be said character

Being Peter Parker means you get his life, his family and friends, his rogues, etc. Making all of that exactly the same, except you're just an original character in his place would just be weird and would stick out like a sore thumb

my thing is why do this here? T'Challa has never gotten his own game.

i'm not against creating my own superhero in these games but they're rarely ever good with well-established IPs imo.

the appeal to me is as you said; the baggage that comes with the character beforehand since it's part of the appeal.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish more super hero games would let us play as original player created characters behind the mask.

That's always been the fun thing with masked superheroes growing up. I could always project myself behind the mask. I'd like to live out my dream of being a super hero.

I get why Black Panther in particular would be a tricky road to walk down, but man I wish most super hero games would do this. I don't NEED to play as Peter Parker. I don't NEED to play as T'Challa. I don't NEED to play as Bruce Wayne. But I need to play as Spider-Man, Black Panther, Batman, Iron Man, etc.
It's called make a new ip in that case tho

Oct 25, 2017
Bare minimum if it is T'Challa's Black Panther who has died, you better play as T'Challa's son or daughter. Best case T'Challa himself.

It's obviously relevant to the MCU but I don't know why you would make the first Black Panther game with T'Challa being dead. It's like making a Batman game and you play as Batman but it's Dick Grayson's Batman. Like is there a Marvel mandate that Boseman was T'Challa and that's it? (Obviously not with the Avengers DLC) Cause it almost feels disrespectful, any other character you wouldn't be able to make the first X Superhero Game without the player character being that actual character, or at least the version of that character people associate it with.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna wait for more details, but having a character-creator taking the mantle of BP is like the perfect metaphor on how AAA games avoid playable dark skin main characters.

OP
OP
Zebesian-X

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Didn't help one bit for me. lol
Like, it's barely anything tangible.
Yeah I hear ya. The VOD isn't public yet so my clip sharing abilities are limited, but FWIW he did specifically mention how tone-deaf it would be to let you create a white character... sounds like he's getting into Q&A now, we'll see what he says
You should threadmark this for what Grubb said.
Good idea, will do.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
One good thing about it being early in dev is that if it is a create a character type deal, then they can revert all that shit and make the game about T'Challa, after all the backlash they will get online.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Until we get a proper Iron Man game (get that VR shit outta here), I'm giving Marvel zero credit.
They were banking on Avengers to cover that. If you notice we don't have any single player games for any of those main characters.

Now that Avengers is essentially done we'll probably get deals for single player games for Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk, maybe Widow too

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL

At this point, I've seen those stories so many times. Been there done that. It'd be nice to do something different and not play through the same story and life I've seen done over and over again in comics, movies, Shows, games, etc.

An original character could give new takes. It also means you could go with an extensive branching character background that effects how the story is told. Think like Mass Effect. And you're not stuck in the same little box walking a tight rope that you'd have to be if you keep going with the characters we already know.

I think it'd be a fun idea, and one I'd like to see explored.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
At this point, I've seen those stories so many times. Been there done that. It'd be nice to do something different and not play through the same story and life I've seen done over and over again in comics, movies, Shows, games, etc.

An original character could give new takes. It also means you could go with an extensive branching character background that effects how the story is told. Think like Mass Effect.
true, but T'Challa has never had that in a game.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

An original character could give new takes. It also means you could go with an extensive branching character background that effects how the story is told. Think like Mass Effect.

Black Panther is not Mass Effect wtf is this comparison

People want to play these games to viscerally experience being the characters. That's what propelled the Arkham games to success, and that's what propelled Marvel's Spider-Man to success.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Black Panther is not Mass Effect wtf is this comparison

People want to play these games to viscerally experience being the characters. That's what propelled the Arkham games to success, and that's what propelled Marvel's Spider-Man to success.

No need to come in all hot and bothered lol. I want to be Black Panther and Iron Man and Spider-Man. The masked character is what I want to play as. I don't need to be T'Challa, Peter Parker, Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne. There are other people in the IPs that wear the mask. It doesn't have to be that one character. Doing something creative and different could be fun.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Best case scenario: you play as T'Challa

Worst case scenario: it's another character from the books or a character created by this team

No way in hell they're going to allow a character creator. No way.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Well as others have said, you may as well just make a new IP at that point

Like Gravity Rush for example is basically a superhero game, but it is its own thing as opposed to just sticking a OC into a known superhero IP

Anyhow, regarding Black Panther specifically, that is absolutely not the character to be experimenting with when we've never even had a game with him. You give us T'Challa, or the devs can fuck off honestly. Only reason it's acceptable with the MCU is because of Chadwick's death, but no one wants it to be some permanent thing in other media moving forward, ugh

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No need to come in all hot and bothered lol. I want to be Black Panther and Iron Man and Spider-Man. The masked character is what I want to play as. I don't need to be T'Challa, Peter Parker, Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne. There are other people in the IPs that wear the mask. It doesn't have to be that one character. Doing something creative and different could be fun.

I think very few people want superhero games with original characters, in comics it doesn't happen overnight

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017

An original character could give new takes. It also means you could go with an extensive branching character background that effects how the story is told. Think like Mass Effect. And you're not stuck in the same little box walking a tight rope that you'd have to be if you keep going with the characters we already know.

I think it'd be a fun idea, and one I'd like to see explored.
At least let the character have one good game based on him first jeez especially someone that means a lot to so many people

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Not having T'Challa as the protagonist is one way to make me lose interest from the jump. Can only hope that isn't true, or it's something that changes as development progresses, and they realize how important T'Challa is as a character. The only non-T'Challa Black Panther games I'd be interested in are T'Chaka or Kasper Cole, and that's after I get the chance to play as T'Challa first. If they did a Miles Morales type of spinoff starring Kasper, that'd definitely be pretty cool.

Concerning gameplay, I wouldn't mind if we start out with a Jungle Action portrayed T'Challa who's peak human in most areas, and relatively vulnerable, before working our way up to the Priest type Black Panther with energy daggers and impenetrable vibranium tech at our disposal.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it doesn't need to be open world, but I also don't know anything about this team's talents or ideas so idk. Just glad a non X-Men/Spider-Man/mobile related Marvel game is finally in development.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Well as others have said, you may as well just make a new IP at that point
This is why I'm certain it'll be T'Challa.

Marvel understands that people want to be there person under the mask just as much as the superhero.

They ain't finna bank the success of the first dedicated AAA Black Panther game to someone who ain't T'Challa.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Ah, fuck, it's EA. I hope it's the case of Fallen Order where I don't have to connect to an EA account/EA servers; otherwise, I won't be able to play the game. Hearing that they want to replicate Fallen Order is a good sign. Maybe they'll have their account shit sorted by the time this comes out as well.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So is T'Challa just dead in all mediums aside from comics at this point??

Seriously. They have to know that T'Challa (not just the mask, but the man beneath it) is an important character with a huge amount of resonance to a lot of people who can't just be locked away in a vault for eternity. Acting like Chadwick would've wanted the character to VANISH is just the height of insanity.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

The person under the mask is just as much a part of the authenticity of the experience and stories. I feel you're barking up the wrong tree here; if you're gonna make it a CaC they could be any other random superpowered character, not that particular established hero.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's not. The character behind the mask and the super hero are different. I want to be Black Panther. I don't Necessarily want/need to be T'Challa.

Nah I'm good on this. And while there are racial overtones in the case of Black Panther, I'm actually gonna say this is true in all cases. I want to be Diana of Themyscira, not a generic "Wonder Woman". I want to be Tony Stark, not "Iron Man". A create a character superhero would be great...if it were a new IP. Or something like Midnight Suns.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
They're gonna have a character creator and make this into colonizing: the video game, aren't they?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The person under the mask is just as much a part of the authenticity of the experience and stories. I feel you're barking up the wrong tree here; if you're gonna make it a CaC they could be any other random superpowered character, not that particular established hero.

Especially for a character like Black Panther, whose superhero mantle is literally linked to being part of the Wakandan royal family. BP is not an "anyone can wear the mask" character.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Please just start making mcu tie in games like this. People didn't care about playing as dollar store copies in the avengers. Guardians was ok, but nobody played it or bought it

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also, it's fucking GROSS to say it's the death of another Panther as if we don't know they're using Boseman's death to launch the story of their videogame.

I'm heated. I hope this ain't true, or they get fucking smart and don't do it.

We can get 20923840982 different fucking Peter Parker games and can't get a single game with T'Challa.

I need to get off the internet.

OP
OP
Zebesian-X

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Nah, for a lot of people it's the opposite. You can put anyone in a Spider-man costume, but you have to make the character behind the mask compelling for people to care about them.

I'm sure a decent writer COULD come up with a solid original character, but why do that at all when the guy everyone already loves is right there. We aren't exactly being oversaturated with T'Challa video games y'know?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Please just start making mcu tie in games like this. People didn't care about playing as dollar store copies in the avengers. Guardians was ok, but nobody played it or bought it

I rather have something fully fleshed out like Guardians or Spider-Man that can do its own thing without worrying about the MCU

It may not always land as seen with Avengers, but it's still the better way to go about it