Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I think they have enough tech avaiable to make that interesting with him (or her if its OC).

main-qimg-253251e0b2fae79691e629157badb8d7

blackpantherGIF1.gif

Jungle parkour traversal

I know they can come up with a way for him to move around, but to me it doesn't fit the Black Panther vibe.

Dude's a secret agent ninja king who travels with an entourage. He shouldn't be fucking around getting collectibles or whatever.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm sorry, but in what fucking dimension does it make sense that black fucking panther is the marvel hero that gets the oc treatment? Like that literal defeats the entire point of the character? And what I'm most worried about is are there gonna be white options? Because if so, you just know #gamers are gonna choose those options!
It would be insulting if white options existed.

Mayjur

Feb 7, 2021
jesus 2 fucking lines of a leak of an initial pitch of a game and people are shitting their arses

thank god I'm not a game developer

I understand the concerns. Black Panther is the one Marvel character you Cannot afford to fuck up. It's like Magneto where he has a set backstory that's extremely important to his character.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Hopefully it's T'Challa replacing T'Chaka if not...

Time for the adventures of WHITE PANTHER!!!!

Jesus christ, EA...

Oct 25, 2017
Is it in comic lore for Black Panther to be able to climb stuff like a cat? Would be pretty cool if we could climb up buildings and shit.

He's got the classic super hero powers: Heightened strength, speed, stamina agility and reflexes, master of martial arts, acrobatics, etc. He can definitely parkour around a city or run flat out at a near car speed.

That an access to Wakandan technology they can have him do pretty much anything or give him any vehicle needed for an open world. IIRC pretty much every BP vehicle has been flying, I remember seeing him have a flying motorbike and obviously the air ships that were in the movie.

He's a great character for an open world RPG IMO.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
People are already running online with headcanon that Disney is mandating dead T'Challa. This is why partial leaks are dangerous.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess if we in fact play as T'Challa, that will be one more demonstration of how leaks absolutely fucking sucks for everyone involved

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's extremely unlikely this is T'Challa dying. He said it's in early dev. If production started before Chadwick died then it's probably early enough that they'd change the concept if that was the case initially. If it started after then there's absolutely no chance they'd go for that, it's just silly to risk the backlash. Plus they don't get the marketing bullet point of "play as T'Challa just like the movie".
Boseman died in 2020, the studio supposedly working on this was just opened last year.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
I think it's extremely unlikely this is T'Challa dying. He said it's in early dev. If production started before Chadwick died then it's probably early enough that they'd change the concept if that was the case initially. If it started after then there's absolutely no chance they'd go for that, it's just silly to risk the backlash. Plus they don't get the marketing bullet point of "play as T'Challa just like the movie".

IMO, Marvel has also been careful to mandate a strong distinction between the MCU and the games so far. Having the game take into account Chadwick's passing would be strange on its own since, but also doesn't fit that clear delineation that Marvel has used. Especially since they had T'Challa be in Avengers, and that character was released after his death.

seroun

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
I get the reservations. Black Panther is the one Marvel character you Cannot afford to fuck up. It's like Magneto where he has a set backstory that's extremely important to his character.

? And did the leak say that there would be a character creator with non-black options?

I mean, I get the reservations if we had more information, but the current info of "single player, you work up to be the Black Panther after the previous one has died" doesn't say anything bad (or good!) about the game. There are, fortunately, many characters on Marvel that you cannot afford to fuck up. It's "very early in development" as well like..

like this "game" might not exist in 2 years LMAO

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel got games coming for each of their major heroes and DC is just over here barely getting to Wonder Woman, I hate it here.

Speaking of, it's kinda crazy that the person in charge of the Middle Earth games is making this BP game, and the studio responsible is working on Wonder Woman. Two heroes that share a lot in common. I wonder how similar these games will be.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was about to post the same picture lol

Luckily sounds like not an actual character creator. Grubb just said player character and people are misconstruing it. I hope you play as T'Challa and it's his father who passed. Enough with the T'Challa eraser.

EA makes me hesitant but if they are modeling the game after their one good single player game in recent memory I guess I'm okay with it. Open world, hope you fly the ship around in real time.

Player character also rubs me the wrong way tho, because any option that isn't T'Challa is just flat out wrong, so not being sure of who we're playing from the jump is sounding my alarm bells

Tigerfan2019

Jun 14, 2020
This is a prime example of why leaks are bad we now know a Black Panther games exist being made by EA but there's not enough details just enough info to get people making up the worst case examples. Now the Devs probably have to see people put down there games for probably years before it is actually revealed.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel got games coming for each of their major heroes and DC is just over here barely getting to Wonder Woman, I hate it here.

Speaking of, it's kinda crazy that the person in charge of the Middle Earth games is making this BP game, and the studio responsible is working on Wonder Woman. Two heroes that share a lot in common. I wonder how similar these games will be.

And the only Superman representation we have in games right now is shit where he's evil and has to be beaten up. Feels great to be a Superman fan. Ugh.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I have to believe that its basically a T'Challa origin type story, which from a game play mechanics would also make sense as you would learn new abilities and skills.

Oct 26, 2017

View: https://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb/clip/FancyMiniatureFlamingoCoolCat-7rEmXXOcC-nYhL9s
Here's Grubb's exact wording RE: the game's set up. He later speculates with Mike that the team is looking to create an original character as the protagonist, but it sounds like he doesn't know for sure.

View: https://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb/clip/ScrumptiousArbitraryMelonJKanStyle-NZwlH77-5gbG8-yW

Didn't help one bit for me. lol
Like, it's barely anything tangible.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hahahaha christ an "original character do not steal" Black Panther would be embarrassing. I hope the project doesn't get greenlit if that's the jumping-off point they're going for.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
They are not going to put out a Black Panther game and NOT have you play as Black Panther.
That would be insane.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Why the hell would you in the very first BP game kill the main BP and possibly replace him with a dumb oc character?

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
balancing how tone deaf ea can be vs how much grubb is prepared to troll or spread parrtially sourced bullshit

hard call

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I wish more super hero games would let us play as original player created characters behind the mask.

That's always been the fun thing with masked superheroes growing up. I could always project myself behind the mask. I'd like to live out my dream of being a super hero.

I get why Black Panther in particular would be a tricky road to walk down, but man I wish most super hero games would do this. I don't NEED to play as Peter Parker. I don't NEED to play as T'Challa. I don't NEED to play as Bruce Wayne. But I need to play as Spider-Man, Black Panther, Batman, Iron Man, etc.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
And the only Superman representation we have in games right now is shit where he's evil and has to be beaten up. Feels great to be a Superman fan. Ugh.
😭😭😭

Between the movies, games and shows Marvel is absolutely beating DC's ass. It's sad.

It's fuckin wild that after the Batman: Arkham games, not just the best superhero trilogy of all time but one of the best game franchises PERIOD, that WB wasn't like "let's replicate this for our other heroes". Like wtf.

Meanwhile Marvel didn't even wait to see success with Spider-Man first before they struck deals with other studios, and now that they HAVE seen success, they're doubling down on the formula and bringing us more heat.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm MIGHTY skeptical of EA and that premise. Please, don't freaking start the game by offing T'Challa.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
So wait, are they claiming T-Challa is dead in this new universe and we are going to play as an OC to become Black Panther. A bit weird honestly to do that especially with the new movie doing that but considering that this is stil early in development. I will doubt we will see this being released until maybe 2027.
Game is still a long way out. I do think a new Black Panther is coming, both in the MCU and in the comics. Whoever the protagonist is, he might end up being whoever Marvel will be pushing as Black Panther in the future.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
😭😭😭

Between the movies, games and shows Marvel is absolutely beating DC's ass. It's sad.

It's fuckin wild that after the Batman: Arkham games, not just the best superhero trilogy of all time but one of the best game franchises PERIOD, that WB wasn't like "let's replicate this for our other heroes". Like wtf.

Meanwhile Marvel didn't even wait to see success with Spider-Man first before they struck deals with other studios, and now that they HAVE seen success, they're doubling down on the formula and bringing us more heat.

Until we get a proper Iron Man game (get that VR shit outta here), I'm giving Marvel zero credit.

bluemarvel33

Mar 5, 2022
If we finally get a Black Panther game and we can't even play as T'challa I'm gonna snap 🤦🏿‍

I really don't need a character creator for this game. I also don't trust EA so this is all around shit.