• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
Microtransactions were inevitable, because they're a way to extract more money from customers that customers are more accepting of than a straight up price increase.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's why I stopped buying MS Games. It bothered me with Forza 5, 6 and Horizon 3. But Horizon 4 was the straw that broke the camels back for me. As a huge fan of the Forza Horizon Series I bought the Ultimate Edition. After maybe 5 hours of playtime I was prompted with a new Classic Sportscar Cup on the map. But when I tried to enter I was told I needed to buy DLC to participate. I uninstalled the game imediately and never looked back. My Xbox is collecting dust ever since and I haven't bought another MS Game. Nor do I plan. No Gears 5 and no Halo Infinite for me, despite beeing a massive Fan of the franchises.

While it`s clearly not on MS alone, I can't disagree with Jims points. Huge parts of the Industry are turning to GAS, MTX and Lootboxes as their new main revenue stream and MS has been pushing the pedal on this issue early on.

If you had the Ultimate Edition, then you already had the DLC... Probably just had to download it still.

Oct 29, 2017
Bungie confirms Microtransactions paid for new stuff... this would be that myth i assume or should we say they are lying?

Push developers to be transparent about what microtransaction x is funding game as service y. There is no reason why developers can't be. But if F2P mobile games are any indication, the vast majority of microtransactions just go to publishers.

Nobody is saying anyone is lying, I just think we need to get past this idea that all microtransactions go towards post game development. Short of actual evidence that this is actually occurring, there is no reason why consumers should believe this is by-in-large occurring.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
/facepalm

Everquest, WoW and most other MMOs provide dedicated servers, tech support, and CSRsall to support the players that are playing their game. They do this by either charging a subscription fee, or subsidizing their game with MTX.

Xbox Live Gold, PS+ and Nintendo Online simply took the formerly free ability to play online games, usually peer-to-peer, and stuck it behind a paywall. They brought almost nothing to the table to justify it, with the possible exception of voice chat.

They are not the same thing, at all, in any way.

Are you suggesting that it costs zero dollars to run Xbox Live or the PlayStation network?

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you believe Xbox Live or PSN offer a service equivalent to or better than what is found on Steam or Battle.net?

Sure. Looking at cross media, cross platform and backwards compatibility support I do believe that. I can load my movies or TV shows or apps across Xbox, PC, devices. I can share game saves and progress between by X1X Gears 5 game and my PC Gears 5 install. I can cross chat and crossplay with my friends from Xbox to PC to devices (chat only for devices, streaming will change that again). My son can simultaneously play a game against his friends on Xbox One while I join the same game on my X1X while I chat to some mates on PC and he remains in his own party chat, with just one license of the game.

There is a lot to be said about breadth and quality of Xbox Live / Game Pass services these days. The family and parental controls are also second to none. I can be at work and see my son's Xbox activity, chat history, invites etc. I'm able to monitor without interruption in real time across platforms or devices. Beyond that the LFG/clubs/feeds and other features are rock solid too.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Push developers to be transparent about what microtransaction x is funding game as service y. There is no reason why developers can't be. But if F2P mobile games are any indication, the vast majority of microtransactions just go to publishers.

Nobody is saying anyone is lying, I just think we need to get past this idea that all microtransactions go towards post game development. Short of actual evidence that this is actually occurring, there is no reason why consumers should believe this is by-in-large occurring.

I'm curious. What do you think funds post-launch development and content?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Interesting video that raises some valid ponts. Not sure he needed to have a dig at Sea of Theives though. That felt somewhat "immature". If you never check out a title, then why comment?
When someone makes an uninformed disingenuous claim once then for me it disqualifies everything the person says.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm curious. What do you think funds post-launch development and content?

I have said this repeatedly, while it seems intuitive that some microtransactions get reinvested in games-as-service and post launch content proportionality matters. If 99% of developers are using less than 1% of total microtransaction funds raised to reinvest in games-as-service, people would be much less gung-ho about this practice.

The fact of the matter is that the financial side of this is very opaque (which is the problem), we shouldn't just automatically assume that microtransactions are being used like kickstarter funds when publisher profits have been ballooning over the last 10 years. My point is a. as consumers we should be asking more about how much of our funds actually go back into the game, and if developers/publishers choose not to tell us we should be skeptical of this "games fund post-game development" narrative. b. We cannot assume all microtransaction funds raised across all developers are being used the same. I'm willing to believe that there are some good-actors, but it also seems entirely likely that there are more developers/publishers that are just using the vast majority of these funds as profit. And again, there isn't necessarily anything economically wrong with that, but if that is indeed true we should at least stop repeating "microtransactions allow for games as service."

Refl3x

alt account
Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Is there any data on how the costs of game development have evolved in the past decade(s)?
Intuitively, I think microtransactions help in keeping videogames around 60$/€.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any data on how the costs of game development have evolved in the past decade(s)?
Intuitively, I think microtransactions help in keeping videogames around 60$/€.
This has been discussed. Companies set record profits and lay off hundreds of people. Gold editions, silver editions, day one editions, etc. Games already cost more than 60 dollars. 60 dollars buys you the base game. If you want more content, you need the deluxe edition. If you want all the content, you probably need to buy even more stuff that doesn't come included in the deluxe edition. It's not about saving you money. It's about making the shareholders more money.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
"Microsoft entered the market because they wanted the money Sony was making..."

Sony entered the market because the saw the money Nintendo was making, and Nintendo entered the market because they saw the money Atari was making (and their bowling business was failing).

Do we really need this narrative of "Microsoft, the greedy one!"?

Nah, it was Bethesda that normalised it with Oblivion's DLC, but that game has a ton of nostalgia so it's a harder target to go after, Microsoft is an easy target.
And even then: I'm sure you could pay 10$ for a digital house in every MMO on the PC market in 2004. I remember MTX in City of Heroes.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
"Microsoft entered the market because they wanted the money Sony was making..."

Sony entered the market because the saw the money Nintendo was making, and Nintendo entered the market because they saw the money Atari was making (and their bowling business was failing).

Do we really need this narrative of "Microsoft, the greedy one!"?

And even then: I'm sure you could pay 10$ for a digital house in every MMO on the PC market in 2004. I remember MTX in City of Heroes.
MMO's are a little big different, as are F2P games, now $60 AAA games are expected to have the same sort of MTX.