• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
50468.jpg

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is some deep stain on a presidential run... oof

From a left perspective anyway. Centrist: But he's good ol'Joe! Give him a break. Right wingers: How do I elect him king?

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah I just can't see someone who inarticulately fumbles over words and gets handsy with women winning the presidency. It just can't happen in our climate of extreme vetting that each American voter performs before they make their incredibly well informed and thought out vote. /s
I should have prefaced that by saying no Democrat could win the presidency who inarticulately fumbles over words...

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
The busing plan has been seen as a failure by many black civil rights activists.

It also wasn't popular with both communities IN the 1970's.

In a Gallup poll taken in the early 1970s, very low percentages of whites (4 percent) and blacks (9 percent) supported busing outside of local neighborhoods

Some people might also take umbrage with this other passage Biden said

Biden said in a 1975 interview highlighted by the Post. "What it says is, 'In order for your child with curly black hair, brown eyes, and dark skin to be able to learn anything, he needs to sit next to my blond-haired, blue-eyed son.' That's racist! Who the hell do we think we are, that the only way a black man or woman can learn is if they rub shoulders with my white child?"

Which was echoed by many black leaders.
http://www.adversity.net/education_2_north_carolina.htm
Ultimately, many black leaders, from Wisconsin State Rep. Annette Polly Williams, a Milwaukee Democrat, to Cleveland Mayor Michael R. White, have come to the conclusion that it is patronizing to think that minority students need to sit next to a white student to learn, and as such led efforts to end busing.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if you're implying I'm making a dig about any specifics about the man's life. I don't deeply know his biography beyond some basic facts about his overall political service and the tragedy of his son Beau.

I do know, however, that he is a white man that has inevitably benefited from the systems of white supremacy that his fathers, and their fathers, and their fathers' fathers, and so on, have maintained for centuries, and that- in order for white folks to consider themselves truly allied with the cause of eliminating white supremacy- they need to come to terms with the fact that these systems have always been in perpetuation, and they need to shed the ego that prevents them from wanting to do anything about it because they presume we actually think they're slave owners.

That sentiment from back then of "I will be damned if I'm responsible for what my father did" is half the reason why America has done fuck all to truly make actionable changes on these issues. Y'all keep passing the buck.

Ahh ok.

Beau's the second of his kids to have died - Biden's formative political and life experience came when his wife and daughter (1 year old at the time) were killed in a car crash a few weeks after he had won his first Senate election (and before he had taken office). Both of his sons were also in the accident, but they survived. On top of Beau passing away at 46, his other son has had some bad addiction problems.

Hence why the comment was initially a "uh woah"

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His busing comments aren't so terrible since he expressed more investment in Black communities but overall Joe ain't our guy. I still get a chuckle out of him describing Obama as a "fresh, clean, Black guy".

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh ok.

Beau's the second of his kids to have died - Biden's formative political and life experience came when his wife and daughter (1 year old at the time) were killed in a car crash a few weeks after he had won his first Senate election (and before he had taken office). Both of his sons were also in the accident, but they survived. On top of Beau passing away at 46, his other son has had some bad addiction problems.

Hence why the comment was initially a "uh woah"
The comment was directed to his attitude in the article, specifically about how he feels he isn't responsible for the sins of his forefathers.

Why in the word would you think I was talking about his actual sons??? =/

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
The comment was directed to his attitude in the article, specifically about how he feels he isn't responsible for the sins of his forefathers.

Why in the word would you think I was talking about his actual sons??? =/

I didn't think you were but with the craziness I've heard on many of these threads, I wasn't sure!

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden is incredibly popular in the black community, and is seen as a continuation of Obama. This is why this attack on him is really about generating white outrage on behalf of black people. Ask black people if they care about this issue from 50 years ago and if it changes their view of Biden now. Hint - it doesn't.

Who are you speaking for? You aren't speaking for me. Joe Biden is a known bad actor on black issues. Just because Mel Gibson starred in buddy cop movies with Danny Glover doesn't mean that he isn't a racist POS. The same is obviously true of Biden. Biden's crime bill fucking destroyed our communities!

I care. There are other candidates who are problematic on black issues (Sanders and Harris come to mind almost immediately) but Biden is the worst out of the likely 2020 field. I don't want him as my President. I don't want him to even run. He should fuck off into the sunset and maybe deliver a couple of stump speeches for a better candidate in 2020.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone was a little racist back then. You gotta see how much he has evolved in the last 40 years.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That sentiment from back then of "I will be damned if I'm responsible for what my father did" is half the reason why America has done fuck all to truly make actionable changes on these issues. Y'all keep passing the buck.

I don't think you will find much support for demanding that people take responsibility from the actions of their parents or ancestors. Demanding that we all work to right the wrongs of the present (or even the past) is fine, but putting the responsibility of past wrongs on specific groups of people because they are descendants of those who did said wrongs is just not going to gain traction.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you will find much support for demanding that people take responsibility from the actions of their parents or ancestors.
No one is telling folks to assume responsibility for somehow directly partaking in slavery.

They're telling folks to get over themselves and recognize the reality that America still subsists on the white supremacy that their forefathers instituted, and that white people are the direct benefactors of that system whether they want to be or not, and that complaining that you're being asked to simply help out because "I'm not responsible for the sins of more forefathers!!!!" is doing nothing but kicking the can down the road and assuring that any progress that could have been made in a reasonable timeframe is stunted in favor of the protection of your feelings.

It is not our responsibility to right these wrongs because we directly caused them. It's our responsibility because we're here.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Certainly a bad look, yes. But your sentence stuck out to me. "And this communication from the 70s really is a bad look for someone interested in the Democratic nomination in 2020." That's 50 years. I don't know the answer to when people should be given a chance to change and when they shouldn't (truly, I'm not trying to hedge), but is decades enough? I don't know.

"He should not be running for President. his time has long passed."

That I do agree with.
Consider that we have the option of electing people who DIDNT need decades to come to the conclusion that racism is bad.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one is telling folks to assume responsibility for somehow directly partaking in slavery.

They're telling folks to get over themselves and recognize the reality that America still subsists on the white supremacy that their forefathers instituted, and that white people are the direct benefactors of that system whether they want to be or not, and that complaining that you're being asked to simply help out because "I'm not responsible for the sins of more forefathers!!!!" is doing nothing but kicking the can down the road and assuring that any progress that could have been made in a reasonable timeframe is stunted in favor of the protection of your feelings.

It is not our responsibility to right these wrongs because we directly caused them. It's our responsibility because we're here.

I think we're saying the same thing. Recognizing why things are the way they are and why we need to change them in order to better society and particular right things for those who have been given historically unfair treatment is the way to go and we need to encourage everyone to do that. It's when you start saying shit like "maintaining the sins of the father" that you're going to lose people, because you're starting to attribute blame to them for simply growing up in a system outside of their control. You might call it "feelings," but you're not going to gain anything by just putting people on the defensive and that's exactly what that kind of blame game does.

Consider that we have the option of electing people who DIDNT need decades to come to the conclusion that racism is bad.

The poster you're responding to pretty much said that, though?

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Almost everyone has a skeleton or two in their closet. Not defending what Biden has done or said. But I have to choose someone I know that can beat the utter mess we have now. Biden will claim his "coming to Jesus" moment and ask forgiveness on the campaign trail. The question I have to ask myself is that is what he/she will do better than what we have now?

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Almost everyone has a skeleton or two in their closet. Not defending what Biden has done or said. But I have to choose someone I know that can beat the utter mess we have now. Biden will claim his "coming to Jesus" moment and ask forgiveness on the campaign trail. The question I have to ask myself is that is what he/she will do better than what we have now?

Biden is a prime example of the status quo that no longer exists yet centrists constantly yearn for - a time and a place where it's easier to ignore the systemic problems of our nation as a whole.

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
People who get caught being racists have to pay a fee.
LOL, you know there's a bit of complexities with reparations, let alone the moral argument. Think beyond your nose for a second.

You're right though! Anyone "caught" being racist TODAY should be penalized! But this isn't about that. This is about the sins of ancestors of which a majority of Americans today have no connection or relation to. What about a white, polish immigrant who's only been here for a couple years? They're responsible for reimbursement for something they have no connection to?

I'm not downplaying past history in any way, nor justifying it....but reparations aren't happening. Expand your thinking a bit and don't immediately sort everything through a racist funnel.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
t's when you start saying shit like "maintaining the sins of the father" that you're going to lose people, because you're starting to attribute blame to them for simply growing up in a system outside of their control. You might call it "feelings," but you're not going to gain anything by just putting people on the defensive and that's exactly what that kind of blame game does.
White supremacy isn't entirely self-perpetuated. Biden was old enough and politically active enough to know better at the time and yet he still sank into the white fragility that is so easy to escape to with that lame quote of his.

Regardless, I'm also tired of hearing what will put white people on the defensive. Hint: it's everything, including completely innocuous actions like kneeling. There's nothing I can personally do or say to draw attention to issues pertaining to black people without some white person out there hollering like a hit dog, because in the 400-500 years white supremacy has been "a thing," almost every form of protest has actually been tried and- surprise surprise- here we are still in its throes! But this all belies the fact that I'm not obligated to treat discussions like these as the arbiter of race relations going forward. I am not obligated to care about white people's feelings all the time. I'm no ambassador. I don't get paid to say what I feel, or even moderate this forum. If the discussion is about a politician showing his ass in the 70s or so, I will gladly dunk on him and his shitty sentiment without worrying about how hypothetical white people are going to take my specific post in a hypothetical situation where racial equity is actually on the line with what I say.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL, you know there's a bit of complexities with reparations, let alone the moral argument. Think beyond your nose for a second.

You're right though! Anyone "caught" being racist TODAY should be penalized! But this isn't about that. This is about the sins of ancestors of which a majority of Americans today have no connection or relation to. What about a white, polish immigrant who's only been here for a couple years? They're responsible for reimbursement for something they have no connection to?

I'm not downplaying past history in any way, nor justifying it....but reparations aren't happening. Expand your thinking a bit and don't immediately sort everything through a racist funnel.

You think the case for reparations ends at slavery?

Lmao

OP
OP
Bob Beat

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Biden is incredibly popular in the black community, and is seen as a continuation of Obama. This is why this attack on him is really about generating white outrage on behalf of black people. Ask black people if they care about this issue from 50 years ago and if it changes their view of Biden now. Hint - it doesn't.
The OP is a The Blacks.™️

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it was just a decade ago when he was giving Obama "clean and articulate" compliments.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Society needs to accept that people can be wrong, and that is superior to be able to question and challenge your own beliefs than having been right the whole time as it is harder to change one beliefs than to hold them. This happened 44 years ago, what is important is whether he still holds that belief not that he did. People need to accept that it isn't being wrong that is wrong, it is being unwilling to accept you are wrong when proven so, or at the very least have insufficient evidence to honestly assert the belief.

Nobody is heroic, nobody is pure. If you think someone is pure, you do not truly know them.

OP
OP
Bob Beat

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017

NEW: Reviewing Joe Biden's record on crime we found a speech where he said "I don't care" & "it doesn't matter" what the root causes of crime are consensus is criminals needed to be immediately locked up because society doesn't know how to rehabilitate.
https://t.co/JA8WJAUAZC https://t.co/JqCk7yP3Bc

Biden is shit. He might be Bernie 2008 since he got treated with kid gloves. Did these surface in 2008?

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Biden did his job in helping white people feel good about voting for obama twice but he needs to be nowhere near the presidency. He is outdated as hell even now

He would destroy trump in an election but that cant be all this election is about