• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
So we can only talk about people individuals like McCain in the negative because someone, somewhere might latch on to any positive aspects? If Bush Jr died to tomorrow and I mentioned his contributions to AIDS care in Africa that would offend you? We shouldn't whitewash history but we should also remember people for who they were in all aspects, good and bad.

You absolutely should be able to do that, but discussing his contributions to AIDS care without anyone being able to mention that he's a war criminal seems severely misguided.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
You absolutely should be able to do that, but discussing his contributions to AIDS care without anyone being able to mention that he's a war criminal seems severely misguided.

We'll in this hypothetical topic I would assume it goes without saying considering everyone else is going to be pointing that out.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After some users mentioned his military career I decided to find some photos of a younger McCain and some of the accompanying quotes are crazy.

Source: Business Insider

5b807d6880eb3518008b564d-960-480.jpg

He would be taken to the notorious Hoa Lo prison, known as the "Hanoi Hilton," and was interrogated for four days before he was medically treated. He was vomiting, fever-ridden and drifting in and out of consciousness.

The North Vietnamese doctors tried to set his bones without anesthetics, according to NHHC, and he was eventually given surgery to operate on his broken leg.

The 31-year-old officer would spend the next two years in solitary confinement. He was routinely beaten and would eventually signed a confessional of criminal wrongdoing and apology, which was permissible under the military's code of conduct, according to NHHC.

After his return to the US, McCain spent five months recuperating. Some wounds never fully heal. He never regained the ability to raise his arms above his head.

NorthandSouth

Nov 13, 2017
It shouldn't be difficult to understand how talking about positive aspects of a person's legacy but not the negative parts makes someone into a role model.

How do you think genocidal Christopher Colombus and racist founding fathers ended up being role models for hundreds of years?

Muhammad Ali? Che Guevara? Malcom X? Churchill? Gandhi? Will we now dismiss these controversial figures as "too problematic", say they have automatically become "role models" because we remember their positive impacts and therefore we must dismiss everything they have contributed? Do we claim that any praise of them is automatically conflated with "whitewashing"?

Or do we respectfully remember their positive legacy while acknowledging that they were also controversial?

McCain is nowhere near a racist. He is not a murdering sociopath. He is not a criminal. He's not a white supremacist or a Nazi. Why people are being attacked for saying they respect him in a thread about his terminal illness is beyond me, and I have yet to receive one PM for anyone's reason why.

This is not that difficult, nor does it need to be.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is even the value of the forced sense of grace and sympathy for McCain? A sense of decency? I'm sure John "I hate the Gooks" McCain was very decent to the Vietnamese children he napalmed. He acts with a decorum and grace in his words but his actions show that he is just as horrible as the rest of them. It betrays the typical liberal response where if someone acts "respectable", they are allowed to do whatever the hell they want while they're in power because then politics becomes just a "difference in thought" rather than something that actually affects the lives of millions of people.

Yeah I stand by the fact that McCain is a deeply evil human being at best, if I get banned for this shit then so be it because you're literally banning the words of someone who was affected personally by his participation in the Vietnam war.
Are you applying the above judgments to Vietnam War veterans, in general, or are they somehow specific to John McCain.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Are you applying the above judgments to Vietnam War veterans, in general, or are they somehow specific to John McCain.
In general, yes. I am of the opinion the Vietnam war was disgusting and illegal and if you want I can post some excerpts from servicemen who can attest to the atrocities that were committed there. I do not respect veterans of the Vietnam war, especially those who actually volunteered to go like McCain.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
In general, yes. I am of the opinion the Vietnam war was disgusting and illegal and if you want I can post some excerpts from servicemen who can attest to the atrocities that were committed there.

Though McCain deserves special mention for straight up volunteering for napalm runs.

You didn't answer the question. Are you are saying all Vietnam vets, including those who were drafted are "deeply evil human beings"

Oct 25, 2017
I do acknowledge him standing out among his kind even if he didn't go as far as many of us would hope. It was exciting to watch him say NO to his peers last year. He plays the game most of the time but I'll give him credit for the times he got it right, and I appreciate the opposition he has displayed during the current administration. Every inch helps.
His legacy may be mixed, but in the context of the Republican party, he's had way more class than most. I wish more Republicans could talk about their opponents as respectfully and honestly as he did. I may have disagreed with many of his political decisions but I'll give him the same respect he showed his opponents when talking about him. And in the context of his military career he was a tough motherfucker.
The sacks of shit over on T_D are celebrating his deterioration right now which tells you enough. I hope his final days are comfortable and satisfying for him and his family.

Last edited:

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In general, yes. I am of the opinion the Vietnam war was disgusting and illegal and if you want I can post some excerpts from servicemen who can attest to the atrocities that were committed there. I do not respect veterans of the Vietnam war, especially those who actually volunteered to go like McCain.

did your brainwashing not take or something? servicepeople are immune to judgment of their character which is why chris kyle is a hero and not a serial killing psychopath

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
You didn't answer the question. Are you are saying all Vietnam vets, including those who were drafted are "deeply evil human beings"
I did answer, I said yes? You're trying to trap me in some gotcha when actually I do think Vietnam War vets are straight up evil. Ones who volunteered more so than ones who were drafted. Brutality from US Soldiers was a common fact of life in Vietnam but don't take my (or my family who actually lived through the fucking war and fled the country avoid getting raped or murdered by US soldiers) word for it.
These are excerpts from an extremely good novel, Kill anything that moves.

In 1971, Major Gordon Livingston, a West Point graduate who served as regimental surgeon with the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, testified before members of Congress about the ease with which Americans killed Vietnamese. "Above 90 percent of the Americans with whom I had contact in Vietnam," said Dr. Livingston, treated the Vietnamese as subhuman and with "nearly universal contempt." To illustrate his point, Livingston told his listeners about a helicopter pilot who swooped down on two Vietnamese women riding bicycles and killed them with the helicopter skids. The pilot was temporarily grounded as the incident was being investigated, and Livingston spoke to him in his medical capacity. He found that the man felt no remorse about the killings and only regretted not receiving his pay during the investigation. According to Livingston, a board of inquiry eventually cleared the pilot of any wrongdoing and allowed him to resume flying.

Some soldiers hacked the heads off Vietnamese to keep, trade, or exchange for prizes offered by commanders. Many more cut off the ears of their victims, in the hopes that disfiguring the dead would frighten the enemy. Some of these trophies were presented to superiors as gifts or as proof to confirm a body count; others were retained by the "grunts" and worn on necklaces or otherwise displayed. While ears were the most common souvenirs of this type, scalps, penises, noses, breasts, teeth, and fingers were also favored.

While it's often assumed that all sexual assaults took place in the countryside, evidence suggests that men based in rear areas also had ample opportunity to abuse and rape women. For example, on December 27, 1969, Refugio Longoria and James Peterson, who served in the 580th Telephone Operations Company, and one other soldier picked up a nineteen-year-old Vietnamese hootch maid hitching a ride home after a day of work on the gigantic base at Long Binh. They drove her to a secluded spot behind the recreation center and forced her into the back of the truck -- holding her down, gagging, and blindfolding her. They then gang-raped her and dumped her on the side of the road. A doctor's examination shortly afterward recorded that "her hymen was recently torn. There was fresh blood in her vagina."

Gang rapes were a horrifyingly common occurrence. One army report detailed the allegations of a Vietnamese woman who said that she was detained by troops from the 173rd Airborne Brigade and then raped by approximately ten soldiers. In another incident, eleven members of one squad from the 23rd Infantry Division raped a Vietnamese girl. As word spread, another squad traveled to the scene to join in. In a third incident, an Americal GI recalled seeing a Vietnamese woman who was hardly able to walk after she had been gang-raped by thirteen soldiers.139 And on Christmas Day 1969, an army criminal investigation revealed, four warrant officers in a helicopter noticed several Vietnamese women in a rice paddy, landed, kidnapped one of them, and committed "lewd and lascivious acts" against her. The traumatic nature of such sexual assaults remains vivid even when they are couched in the formal, bureaucratic language of mili tary records. Court-martial documents indicate, for instance, that after he led his patrol into one village, marine lance corporal Hugh Quigley personally detained a young Vietnamese woman -- because "her age, between 20 and 25, suggested that she was a Vietcong." The documents tell the story.

After burning one hut and the killing of various animals, the accused with members of the patrol entered a hut where the alleged victim was. The accused, seeing the victim, grabbed for her breast and at the same time attempted to unbutton her blouse. As the victim held her child between the accused and herself, she pulled away. At this time, the accused pulled out his knife and threatened to cut the victim's throat. The baby was taken from the victim and then the accused took the victim by the shoulders, laid her on the floor and then pulled her blouse above her breast and lowered her pants below her knees. The accused then knelt by the head of the victim, took his penis out of his pants and made the victim commit forced oral copulation on him. After a few minutes of this act the accused then proceeded to have non-consensual intercourse with her . . . The same witnesses who saw the accused commit these alleged acts will testify that the victim was scared and trembling.

The colonel's theory about universally willing partners becomes even more preposterous when we consider the shockingly violent and sadistic nature of some of the sexual assaults. One marine remembered finding a Vietnamese woman who had been shot and wounded. Severely injured, she begged for water. Instead, her clothes were ripped off. She was stabbed in both breasts, then forced into a spread-eagle position, after which the handle of an entrenching tool -- essentially a short-handled shovel -- was thrust into her vagina. Other women were violated with objects ranging from soda bottles to rifles.

How can you even think any of the soldiers who went to Vietnam were Honorable or good when you read things like this? When I myself have heard personal family stories of close encounters with the US army.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
McCain is nowhere near a racist

As a first-year congressman in 1983, McCain voted against a holiday commemorating one of the most important leaders of the Civil Rights Movement. McCain said at the time that Dr. King shouldn't be memorialized because "presidents were not recognized," citing cost as another reason for his dissenting vote. Beyond voting to reject the establishment of the holiday, McCain has a history of voting against civil rights legislation, like the 1990 Civil Rights Act, which sought to ban discrimination in employment at American businesses.

According to a 2000 San Francisco Gate report, McCain, who spent 5 and half years in a North Vietnamese prison camp during the Vietnam War, referred to his captors as "g**ks" when speaking with reporters at a press conference.

"I hate the g**ks. I will hate them as long as I live," McCain said.

When the notoriously problematic former Iranian president announced that he wanted to become the first Iranian to go to space, McCain tweeted: "So Ahmadinejad wants to be first Iranian in space—wasn't he just there last week" and linked to a story about Iran's claiming to launch a monkey into space.

McCain then elected not to apologize and instead challenged the sensitivity of those offended by his racist remark.

As ABC News reported, many weren't amused by McCain's joke, and fewer still were satisfied by his response. One prominent objector to McCain's quip was fellow Republican government official, Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan, an Arab-American himself, who tweeted in response to McCain's comment: "Maybe you should wisen up & not make racist jokes."

?

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are the servicemen from that war evil by virture of their participation?

Is John Kerry evil?

Edit: your response noting an alleged "gotcha trap" is refreshing. It's trying to understand if there's nuance in your position. Your admission that there isn't nuance is uncommon in its honesty.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I did answer, I said yes? You're trying to trap me in some gotcha when actually I do think Vietnam War vets are straight up evil. Ones who volunteered more so than ones who were drafted. Brutality from US Soldiers was a common fact of life in Vietnam but don't take my (or my family who actually lived through the fucking war and fled the country avoid getting raped or murdered by US soldiers) word for it.
These are excerpts from an extremely good novel, Kill anything that moves.

No you said the war was disgusting and illegal and singled out McCain but thank you for answering.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

Is John Kerry evil?
Yeah, straight up. Why is this so hard to understand for you people? I think you posted this without reading the excerpts I posted up above but I don't and will never put "The Troops" on a pedestal the same way you do mainly because they actually caused my family to become refugees.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
No you said the war was disgusting and illegal and singled out McCain but thank you for answering.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
Asking a victim of the Vietnam war if they think all the soldiers are evil like it's some kind of genius gotcha question is some amazing cosmic-brain radical centrist shit.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018

Is John Kerry evil?

Edit: your response noting an alleged "gotcha trap" is refreshing. It's trying to understand if there's nuance in your position. Your admission that there isn't nuance is uncommon in its honesty.

Do you realize how insanely condescending this is?

Ambition

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Huge respect to this man. This is a huge loss..
I hope his final days are filled with lots and lots of love and comfort

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
So we can only talk about people individuals like McCain in the negative because someone, somewhere might latch on to any positive aspects? If Bush Jr died to tomorrow and I mentioned his contributions to AIDS care in Africa that would offend you? We shouldn't whitewash history but we should also remember people for who they were in all aspects, good and bad.
No one is saying that the good parts don't exist. They're saying that the bad parts outweigh the good ones and they're upset that we're being told to not talk about the bad parts.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, straight up. Why is this so hard to understand for you people? I think you posted this without reading the excerpts I posted up above but I don't and will never put "The Troops" on a pedestal the same way you do mainly because they actually caused my family to become refugees.

I was just pointing out some of these people didn't get to choose whether they got drug off to a war zone. I would classify them as victims who were given no choice in the matter.

No one is saying that the good parts don't exist. They're saying that the bad parts outweigh the good ones and they're upset that we're being told to not talk about the bad parts.

As has been pointed out there is a time and place for such discussions. That time is probably not when the man is dying from cancer.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017

Is John Kerry evil?

Was the war evil?

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I was just pointing out some of these people didn't get to choose whether they got drug off to a war zone. I would classify them as victims who were given no choice in the matter.
Yeah that's why I singled out volunteers like McCain, but rest assured, out of all the victims, none suffered more than the Vietnamese people who were napalamed, subjected to Agent Orange, subjected to brutal rape on a daily basis. To even invite the comparison that soldiers "also had it bad because they had no choice in murdering this village of civilians" is frankly a bit insulting.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
You are welcome to be critical of his record, without cheering his death or saying you're glad he's dying. It shouldn't be too much to ask that we not treat his death the same way the alt right is.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's why I singled out volunteers like McCain, but rest assured, out of all the victims, none suffered more than the Vietnamese people who were napalamed, subjected to Agent Orange, subjected to brutal rape on a daily basis. To even invite the comparison that soldiers "also had it bad because they had no choice in murdering this village of civilians" is frankly a bit insulting.

No one is denying the atrocities that were committed in Vietnam. I merely stated that many people who fought and died in this war didn't choose to be there and I'm not comfortable with calling them evil monsters, the same way I wouldn't call a child soldier a monster.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Asking a victim of the Vietnam war if they think all the soldiers are evil like it's some kind of genius gotcha question is some amazing cosmic-brain radical centrist shit.
#NotAllVets #NotAllTroops

I don't blame any victim of the Vietnam War for calling the US on their bullshit when it comes to it. We absolutely fucked up big time during that window and there are definitely people that should absolutely be in jail for what happened during that period.

Also don't blame anyone like the Onion for the instant savagery right off the back. The things this man said and did doesn't paint him positive at all in my book. There are plenty of other service members, or just people in general, I would worship before I even consider McCain.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Since we are sharing memories, I remember that time he didn't do something terrible and everyone was really impressed.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate when anyone's life is cut short due to cancer. Just because you're old already doesn't make it any easier. I hope he goes peacefully and painlessly. No matter what bad stuff he's done or said, he's a human and he deserves that much at least.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one is denying the atrocities that were committed in Vietnam. I merely stated that many people who fought and died in this war didn't choose to be there and I'm not comfortable with calling them evil monsters, the same way I wouldn't call a child soldier a monster.
The fact that they didn't choose to be there is separate from the choice to rape and kill children. These weren't children that were conscripted; they were old enough to know that you shouldn't rape women and kill children. Comparing them to child soldiers is really fucked up.

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot recall, nor can I find one instance where this man voted in a way that was Islamophobic. Unless you have a concrete example, I think you should stop conflating routine political differences with the accusation that he hated Muslims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_VfGjzwPOs

Again, I have no idea why you decided to respond to my post re: his comments on Arabs when your replies have absolutely nothing to do with that.

If you've got a problem with his "maverick" label and want to start bashing this man for that in a thread announcing the end stage to his illness, I think you need to reconsider 1) why you responded to my post and 2) if this thread truly would be the right place to address that

McCain described Rod Parsley as his "spiritual guide". A man who said that America was founded with a divine purpose, in part, to destroy Islam. Yes, McCain distanced himself once he started getting bad headlines about it but these were views that Parsley didn't exactly keep hidden. McCain must have known his views when he went to Parsley to seek his endorsement, it only became a problem once the press found out.

Let's take Jerry Falwell, a man who described Islam and 'satanic' and called Muhammad a terrorist. In 2000 McCain called him an 'agent of intolerance'. Fast forward a few years and he's cosying up to Falwell, delivering a commencement speech at Falwell's university.

When he lost the primaries to Bush he decried the Christian right, when he ran for President again he was courting the same Christian right that was loudly demonising all of Islam.

Oh and let's not forget the time McCain endorsed and campaigned on behalf of George Wallace in Alabama in 2005. George Wallace Jr. who, just a few months earlier, had kicked off the opening day of a conference of the Council of Conservative Christians, a literal white supremacist organisation.

Or when he hired Richard Quinn as a campaign manager. A man who edited a neo-confederate magazine, described Martin Luther King as a man "whose role in history was to lead his people into a perpetual dependence on the welfare state, a terrible bondage of body and soul." and wrote "What better way to reject politics as usual than to elect a maverick like David Duke?"

Totes the actions of a decent, honourable, not-at-all-racist man.

McCain gave nice quotes and that's why the press are happy to whitewash his career but we shouldn't be so eager to do the same.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they didn't choose to be there is separate from the choice to rape and kill children. These weren't children that were conscripted; they were old enough to know that you shouldn't rape women and kill children. Comparing them to child soldiers is really fucked up.

Point made. I was more pointing out the incredibly broad bush he was passing over every US soldier in the conflict. I'm just not comfortable labeling every one of them monsters.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Point made. I was more pointing out the incredibly broad bush he was passing over every US soldier in the conflict. I'm just not comfortable labeling every one of them monsters.
Let's put this in more perspective. Neither you nor your family were victims or made refugees because of it.

One of my neighbors is a Vietnam vet with a purple heart. He and his wife are super nice people, but I'm sure he had no problem gunning down gooks, VC, and Charlie. I have lots of friends that are here because of that war and I can't help but wonder if he killed family members of my friends. I'm Chinese. If I was working the farm somewhere in Vietnam, would he have gunned down me, my kids, and raped my wife? THAT'S discomfort; not the labeling of people that should know better as monsters.

Either way, I'm dine with this derail. Maybe a mod can chime in on when we can start getting real with McCain.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
As has been pointed out there is a time and place for such discussions. That time is probably not when the man is dying from cancer.
...that's the disagreement being had.

You are welcome to be critical of his record, without cheering his death or saying you're glad he's dying. It shouldn't be too much to ask that we not treat his death the same way the alt right is.
That's not all that is being asked if you look around.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Policing thoughts is weird af. One can praise someone without being dismissed and reminded "ya but did you forget he voted against MLK day!"

You can't please everyone with your actions. Whatever good or bad he did (remember the good, and learn from the bad), I hope his final days are with family and loved ones and at peace.

Everyone deserves peace.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Policing thoughts is weird af. One can praise someone without being dismissed and reminded "ya but did you forget he voted against MLK day!"

You can't please everyone with your actions. Whatever good or bad he did (remember the good, and learn from the bad), I hope his final days are with family and loved ones and at peace.

Everyone deserves peace.
I don't think McCain ever did learn from the (massive) amounts of bad he did. You're just lowering his "actions" to just words and difference of opinion rather than actively murdering people.
Everyone deserves peace, which makes it awfully sad that he neglected to give it to the burning Vietnamese children he napalmed. They didn't get to spend their final days with their families and loved ones at peace but since they're not American, it's okay I guess.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018

Everyone deserves peace.

I mean you have people in here saying that we shouldn't speak about anything negative he did, which I would certainly think of as policing.

You can say whatever positive thing you want, but if somebody makes a claim as bold as "he isn't even slightly racist" then I am going to refute that with evidence.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Whatever his politics, I sincerely hope his last days are comfortable in equal measure to his leadership. One thing he was not was unprincipled, much as I disagreed with him. Many of his colleagues couldn't honestly claim the same, and I especially doubt they'd be able to survive a torture scenario. Platitude though it may be, I dearly hope he can pass with as much dignity and respect now as he held in his long life of valorous conduct and public service, and leave an example for all men, but Republicans especially, to follow.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I mean you have people in here saying that we shouldn't speak about anything negative he did, which I would certainly think of as policing.

Thats not what is happening in here and you know it. You are free to make whatever thread you want and talk all the shit you want. Hell I will join you. You just can't come into a thread about him being on his deathbed where people are trying to say a few kind words about him or his family and start telling everyone they are wrong and derailing the thread with how awful you think he is and that you don't care that he is dying.

Hence the mod post.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
McCain on voting against MLK Day over a decade ago: "We can be slow as well to give greatness its due, a mistake I myself made long ago when I voted against a federal holiday in memory of Dr. King. I was wrong. I was wrong, and eventually realized it in time to give full support — full support — for a state holiday in my home state of Arizona. I'd remind you that we can all be a little late sometimes in doing the right thing, and Dr. King understood this about his fellow Americans."

Status
Not open for further replies.