• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I think the fights at the start of the film are better than the ending ones, for me the most brutal thing in the film was
John getting the horses to kick people. The sound was so powerful I could feel it.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I was a little bit disappointed in this film. It's still a very well made movie kind of on par with the previous ones & arguably has some of the most impressive fights in the franchise but something was just off about the pacing (I feel like they could've easily cut, like, 20-30 minutes out of the movie by ditching some more pointless story threads and shortening some fights) and overall story that just left me a bit... meh.

Interestingly, this was the first time I saw people leave the theater during a movie. o_O THey were a group of young men so I'm not sure if they didn't like it (the movie was kind of starting to overstay its welcome at that point, though the fight against the Raid d00dz brought some life back to it) or if they were just eager to go start their weekend boozing (this was a Friday).

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
This movie was so much fun to watch. Hell, the series is incredible. It's crazy how it's skyrocketed to being one of my favorites.

Chapter 3 was special though.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Name one action series that even comes near the level of creativity that wick has

It's the best action series out of Hollywood ever.

Nothing comes close.

God, why are these films so good. It's like ever continual one that releases becomes my new favorite.

You know what's the best part about John Wick films? Every time a new one comes out, the world gets wider and wider and learn even more about it. The world building is this perfect mix of mysterious and subtle. You only get the immediate details on a need to know basis.

Halle and the dogs were fucking amazing. And the Raid team was fucking dope. I didn't expect them to be in this!

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
It's the best action series out of Hollywood ever.

Nothing comes close.

God, why are these films so good. It's like ever continual one that releases becomes my new favorite.

You know what's the best part about John Wick films? Every time a new one comes out, the world gets wider and wider and learn even more about it. The world building is this perfect mix of mysterious and subtle. You only get the immediate details on a need to know basis.

Halle and the dogs were fucking amazing. And the Raid team was fucking dope. I didn't expect them to be in this!
I hope to god the raid guys come back to ally with John in the next one

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Just got back from theater. Chapter 3 was good fun, I like it overall. The action sequences was insane. Chapter 1 still remain as my favorite on the series though. It was more emotional and personal. This time around Wick was kinda just dragged by the situation without much time for inner reflection.

My hope for Chapter 4: keep the insane action but with a little bit more emotional gravity, please. Wick is pissed at the end, so it should be something. Show us what's inside his head.

Kinda want the Raid actors to join Wick team in Chapter 4 because he didn't kill them. Slim chance, I know lol, but that "Sampai Jumpa" line, man.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the "story" in these movies is background Lore, IMO that's the entire point to Casablanca. We see some cool behind the scenes of the world stuff, and I am all about the Lore.
All the lore in the other two movies drove the plot forward and/or added to John. Casablanca did introduce a great new character but it was utterly extraneous considering how the plot progresses afterwards. You could cut that whole section and nothing crucial to the characters or plot would change. Like the most important consequence is that a week passes.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know what they would do after this one to keep things fresh, although I'd welcome any new John Wick movie.

Give me Hobbs & Shaw & Wick

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Both 47 and Wick are the best assassins in their respective universe if they had to hunt each other down who you got?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Both 47 and Wick are the best assassins in their respective universe if they had to hunt each other down who you got?
Agent 47 is basically a GOT Faceless Man, and Wick is best when he's expecting an attack. Pretty much anytime he's been ambushed in these movies, he struggles or is wounded

In a straight fight, Wick wins but if they're hunting each other, 47 wins

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
More_badass, would you agree it's kind of cool that they revealed his real name and that he is
Eastern European.... specifically from a Romani tribe in Belarus, there were hints towards it in the previous movies with all the Eastern Orthodox symbolism, the fact that he worked with the Russian mob and that a Russian high table member saved his life

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
More_badass, would you agree it's kind of cool that they revealed his real name and that he is
Eastern European.... specifically from a Romani tribe in Belarus, there were hints towards it in the previous movies with all the Eastern Orthodox symbolism, the fact that he worked with the Russian mob and that a Russian high table member saved his life
Oh, that was great. Everything up to him arriving in Casablanca was exactly what I wanted to follow the ending of Chapter 2. The look into Wick's backstory was fantastic and adds a lot of interesting aspects to the character

And then the final ~30/40 minutes were also fantastic. It was the middle act, aside from Sofia and their action scene, that fell flat for me. Both in its contributions to the larger world-building and how pointless that whole detour seemed in hindsight

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Agent 47 is basically a GOT Faceless Man, and Wick is best when he's expecting an attack. Pretty much anytime he's been ambushed in these movies, he struggles or is wounded

In a straight fight, Wick wins but if they're hunting each other, 47 wins
47 is also a genetically engineered clone now that I think about it.... might be tough for the wickster

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Saw a big poster of JW 3 on the street, noticed the tag line:

"Actions have consequences."

Really? That's your tagline? The Wick franchise...that everyone loves, that has spawned memes, that is full of quotable lines...and that's your tagline? Why are taglines so bad these days? No effort at all. "John Wick kills everyone" is a better tagline than this bland nonsense. Step up your game Hollywood marketing!!!

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Not much to really add to the conversation, just wanted to say I saw the movie Saturday and loved it.

The library fight, the antique store fight, and the bullet boxing (stuff at the end) were all amazing and up there with the best action scenes of all time if you ask me. Super creative stuff going on, and real amazing choreography.

I do wish they'd trimmed 30 mins out of the middle, but still, excited for 4.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
Helluva ride. I still think I like the first one the most, but it's a very close call. Halle Berry was a goddamn beast. Even with all the insane shit this movie threw at me, I still left feeling like she was OP. Loved it.

Saw a big poster of JW 3 on the street, noticed the tag line:

"Actions have consequences."

Really? That's your tagline? The Wick franchise...that everyone loves, that has spawned memes, that is full of quotable lines...and that's your tagline? Why are taglines so bad these days? No effort at all. "John Wick kills everyone" is a better tagline than this bland nonsense. Step up your game Hollywood marketing!!!

It is pretty generic, but it's pretty much the theme of the movie and that line is repeated throughout.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
On my life, that may have been the greatest movie i've ever seen in my life.

Like it's not even that it has killer action, great visuals, audio and all that. because it totally does. it's that everything is treated with a certain amount of solid logic and intelligence that i really appreciate. especially in an action movie where things can get super lazy on occasion. but not here. JW3 is just really fucking fantastic and deserves every single plaudit it receives.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
This movie was relentless. I absolutely love the lore and world they've built up over the course of the three films. Just the strange formality of it all - thousands of ruthless, expert assassins around the world but they all abide by the 'rules'. Except the guy in the library. Screw him.

Other than the first teaser, I hadn't seen any other trailers/ promotional stuff, so the Raid guys were a real treat. Didn't expect there to be so much humor mid-fights, but it worked very well. And while I wasn't that enthused about Halle Berry's role beforehand, she delivered with the little screentime she had. That body armor scene was a great "oh shit" moment.

I'm excited to see where they go with the TV show.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it!
Liked it but didnt love it! I feel the pacing and the flow of the movie was choppy and sadly none of the action scenes stand out like the others. Also no epic gun shootout like the other two where it flows so smoothly like the club scene in John wick 1 or concert in John wick 2. Also villian wise it was kinda missing it. I think that's ultimately why I liked the other two more just a more personal connection for John wick this one is him surviving.
7-8/10

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Great movie, I enjoyed most of it

Question

Did Charon amd Winston expected for John Wick to live?

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
So question about middle half.
so John is allowed to go back. When he gets back to NYC does he have a bounty on his head still? Becasue those assassins kill the other bounty hunters in the train station. I was just confused due to he goes to the hotel and is safe from the assassins so he must have the bounty off his head.

Sep 12, 2018
So question about middle half.
so John is allowed to go back. When he gets back to NYC does he have a bounty on his head still? Becasue those assassins kill the other bounty hunters in the train station. I was just confused due to he goes to the hotel and is safe from the assassins so he must have the bounty off his head.
They take care of those assassins because Zero wanted to kill John Wick himself.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Count me in on the (ending)
Winston knew shooting him in the bullet-proof jacket he knew John wore wouldn't kill him, so John gets to play dead and Winston gets his hotel back, but that fall was brutal.

I watched all 3 in rapid succession for the first time, and I'm glad they seemed to take issues I had with 2 to heart in 3. Better again about showing instead of just telling. And
"John has a bullet-proof coat? Oh, now here's an entire squad of soldiers fully decked-out in bullet-proof gear he has to deal with."

Feb 16, 2018
Just saw it an loved it. Some of the best fight choreography I've seen in a movie and still maintained that stylish look. Also loved the soundtrack and that the main assassin John fought was a total fanboy, just a straight up fun time. Can't wait for chapter 4. John Wick might be the most consistently high quality action movies series out there.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mixed feelings on this. For better or for worse, it's a fucking video game movie. But... I honestly would have just stayed home and paid 6 dollars (what I paid at my theater, there was a cool deal going on) to just watch a supercut of the action scenes movie at home on my tv. The in-between narrative was absolute fucking nonsense. The only exception being the Adjudicater scenes. Those were kinda fun since the movie was kinda taking the world seriously at those parts.

Oh and John Wick's training place. That felt like it helped expand the world. But other than that it was so much bullshit that broke my immersion. Which if that's what you're looking for then fair enough.

I whole-heartedly agree with DT. Pigeon-King made me cringe so hard. I couldn't even take the person seriously as a character.

Halle Berry fight scene was too fucking long. Way too long. And they ran out of ways to make the dogs kill people and went for repeated crotch shots. The parkour doggie part was cool. The comedy in the action was good got laughs from the audience, but anytime they tried with Wick's main villian Sushi Chef, It was dead fucking silent. (I think someone said 'fuck you' during the ending part where he talks to Wick.)

2nd to last fight scene was the best one, the ending was disappointing as fuck. Main antagonist was awful, wasn't even remotely threatening. Their minions were way, way cooler and badass.

Though that doesn't take away from the sheer creativity of some of the fights. Awesome cinematography. Main gunfight was sheer insane action that made me so fucking happy. Like JW1 club scene on steroids.

JW 1 & 2 are equal and better than 3 in my opinion. The club scene in one and silenced pistol duel in two are just cooler to me. Motorcycle part was close tho.

Overall: Disappointing story, but I don't know what I expected. Comedy outside of the action fell flat but during was great. Characters old and new were all pretty forgettable except the dogs and Adjudicater who made a great middle managing, by the book sideish villian. Action and fight scenes were incredible though, even if some went on too long.

I'll probably skip the next one and watch it at home by renting it to save some cash though.

would you guys say the action scenes are superior to The Raid?
Nope. Still remember the brutal fight scenes in The Raid actually made me feel like the swat team were in danger and made me so invested in their survival. It's more comparable to The Raid 2 but the ending fight scene in that is fucking amazing.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite reaction expression moments in the movie:
I absolutely LOVED the reaction and expressions from John and Charon coming back to the armory after their first round against the upgraded High Table armor. LMAO.
And actually Winston looked hilarious there too and of course him hanging up the phone lol. This whole sequence got a lot of laughs at my showing.

I think the fights at the start of the film are better than the ending ones, for me the most brutal thing in the film was
John getting the horses to kick people. The sound was so powerful I could feel it.
Definitely felt it too! Jeez! Also the same for the dogs, damn. The big action scene with Halle and her dogs was amazing.

Just saw it an loved it. Some of the best fight choreography I've seen in a movie and still maintained that stylish look. Also loved the soundtrack and that the main assassin John fought was a total fanboy, just a straight up fun time. Can't wait for chapter 4. John Wick might be the most consistently high quality action movies series out there.
Same here, damn that was a lot of fun yet again with even more cool details to the world, loved it.
Yeah, it was great how him being a fanboy of John's kept up throughout the whole movie, even during and after their fight lol. "That was a pretty great fight, huh?" or something like that lol. As has been said, I too hope his guys that John didn't kill come back and join him next time since they were clearly fans too during their fight with him lol.

Really liked the motorcycle fight to the bridge as well. When John went after the first two I was like "Thanks for the motorcycle guys!" lol

Winston shot him in noticeably non-fatal areas in a bulletproof jacket lol he knew Baba Yaga isn't going to die from a fall.
Count me in on the (ending)
Winston knew shooting him in the bullet-proof jacket he knew John wore wouldn't kill him, so John gets to play dead and Winston gets his hotel back, but that fall was brutal.
Cool, that's how I felt it too. Despite that fall being insane

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
also shoutouts to boban for his wicked role in the film. i had no idea he would be in this and i marked the fuck out when he randomly appeared. i hope he gets cast in more movies

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome movie, but not sure I can take franchise stepping it up, again. The absurdity was at maximum levels.

Cinematography, action sequences, world building, and Keanu were all great. Amazing trilogy

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loved the first movie and was disappointed by the second, I'm quite glad to say that I enjoyed this one. Looking forward to the next one.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
So damn happy a fourth movie is confirmed so quick. Would have sucked to end the franchise on a cliffhanger if the numbers weren't good or something, but luckily that doesn't seem to be the case. Looking forward to the spin-off and the Continental TV show too if they finally materialize.
Oh neat, I didn't realize about this other possible spin-off which could be really cool, and yeah, this upcoming Continental TV show has so much potential.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Lovely film. Really enjoyed it, even if it's clearly my least favorite of the three so far.

The second fight scene was one of the best, though, which was weird, haha.