BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
Raimi's Spider-Man: When it feels like the whole world is shitting on you, strive to be a better person.

Todd Phillips' Joker: When it feels like the whole world is shitting on you, I guess it makes logical sense you become murderer.
isnt that the main difference between being a hero and villain?
vulture, mysterio from the last 2 films

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Him painting his tongue really squicked me out

Looks really really good, and really well made trailer as I don't really know the story beyond "Joker origin."
There are multiple takes, but the point of Joker is he doesn't have an origin.

Thus me kind of thinking this ends with "Well..that was one way it could of happened"

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There's never been a clear origin story for the Joker. More often than not he just makes it up because that's what the joker does.

You ever seen the Dark Knight?
I've not read the comics myself, but people were saying that there have been clear origin stories made for the Joker in the past. I guess that's just not true?

And, clearly, The Dark Knight is only one interpretation of the character. It's okay for the character to be depicted in different ways, in different stories.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
There's never been a clear origin story for the Joker. More often than not he just makes it up because that's what the joker does.

You ever seen the Dark Knight?
What about the Killing Joke?

It sounds like you only know Joker from The Dark Knight because the Joker doesn't make up a backstory expect for in TDK.

There's a shit ton of different takes on the Joker from a shit ton of different writers. This is just another one.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
I called it years ago. They should make a Joker film in the same vain as Taxi Driver. Thank you DC and everyone involved. Now to see if it'll actually pay off

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Raimi's Spider-Man: When it feels like the whole world is shitting on you, strive to be a better person.

Todd Phillips' Joker: When it feels like the whole world is shitting on you, I guess it makes logical sense you become murderer.

That's like the whole point of heroes/villains (and in the case of the Joker, him and Batman), no?

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about the Killing Joke?

It sounds like you only know Joker from The Dark Knight because the Joker doesn't make up a backstory expect for in TDK.

There's a shit ton of different takes on the Joker from a shit ton of different writers. This is just another one.
There's been several "origin stories" in the comics.

It's always explained that it's a "multiple choice past".

Exact quote from the Killing Joke: "Something like that... happened to me, you know? I... I'm not exactly sure what it was. Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017

I mean that's usually the difference between a hero and villain yes.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
The Joker does not have a mental illness. He just cracks one day because of shitty circumstances. It's not because he had an underlying mental issue which causes him to snap.

He's supposed to represent that anyone of us having a shitty day can snap at any moment. Forcing this whole mental illness aspect onto him just makes him more sympathetic and ruins his character imo.
This version of the Joker is seeing what looks like a therapist. He is expressing his mental state to her, which is not stable. We're shown glimpses of him struggling with his emotions before he snaps. That reads as mental illness to me.

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But those are villains within the context of movies about heroes they stand in contrast to.

I'm talking about filmmakers framing a character study about their protagonist.
What's wrong with a villain protagonist? It's not like Joker's going to be running rampant in this film without any opposition.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
There's been several "origin stories" in the comics.

It's always explained that it's a "multiple choice past".

Exact quote from the Killing Joke: "Something like that... happened to me, you know? I... I'm not exactly sure what it was. Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

He's straight up the Red Hood in the Killing Joke and in Snyder's run years later. Then a few years back the whole Three Jokers thing happened.

Look, the Joker isn't always one thing. In TDK he had a unique take that hadn't been done before and each comic writer that writes him has a different take. Sometimes there are Elseworld stories that make him completely different (this is an Elseworld story). It feels pointless to criticize that this is a different take on the Joker when that's the whole point.

Not everything has to be the same and especially when it never is.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
What's wrong with a villain protagonist? It's not like Joker's going to be running rampant in this film without any opposition.
Usually the protagonist has an antagonist working against them achieving their goals, yes.

Doesn't mean it has to be a person, or even someone representing an opposing view point that challenges the protagonist's and changes him by the end.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Usually the protagonist has an antagonist working against them achieving their goals, yes.

Doesn't mean it has to be a person, or even someone representing an opposing view point that challenges the protagonist's and changes him by the end.
And you think this film will be devoid of antagonists who are not into what the Joker is doing?

The protagonist doesn't need to change by the end of any story by an antagonist. We're already seeing the focus on the metamorphosis from how he was before he embraced the feeling of being the "Joker" and after.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
this is by far the best of the trailers theyve released so far, and the only one thats made me interested in seeing this flick. ill have to catch it alone as i do not think my fiancee would be game, but based on the strength of this alone im willing to see it in theaters.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I thought Joker's origins have been explored multiple times in comics?

Not 100% explained.

In some books, joker is even himself confused on his origins. Its part of what makes him.

This angle is from one of the books, i cant remember, but it suggested he was a failed comedian. Thats as far as it went...Slayven would probably explain this better.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's straight up the Red Hood in the Killing Joke and in Snyder's run years later. Then a few years back the whole Three Jokers thing happened.

Look, the Joker isn't always one thing. In TDK he had a unique take that hadn't been done before and each comic writer that writes him has a different take. Sometimes there are Elseworld stories that make him completely different (this is an Elseworld story). It feels pointless to criticize that this is a different take on the Joker when that's the whole point.

Not everything has to be the same and especially when it never is.
I'm not criticizing it because it's a different take, just that it looks like a bad take. I think the Joker only works strictly as an antagonist and if the movie proves me wrong... good I guess but looking at both trailers back to back I doubt it. It's like a second rate Scorsese knock off with the Joker as the main character.

What's even the point of the Elseworld's comparison. This isn't a "what if" wacky take on the Joker. This is supposed to be the definitive Joker movie. Imagine if you argued that "you don't like Batman in BvS because it's different" and not that Batman himself dreams of using a gun in the movie among other things I'm wanna block out about that movie.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

So is your issue is that there's no one to challenge him or that he became a villain?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not criticizing it because it's a different take, just that it looks like a bad take. I think the Joker only works strictly as an antagonist and if the movie proves me wrong... good I guess but looking at both trailers back to back I doubt it. It's like a second rate Scorsese knock off with the Joker as the main character.
You think he only works in a way he has only over been used before? You have no frame of reference to know if he can or cannot work as the protagonist.

What's even the point of the Elseworld's comparison. This isn't a "what if" wacky take on the Joker. This is supposed to be the definitive Joker movie. Imagine if you argued that "you don't like Batman in BvS because it's different" and not that Batman himself dreams of using a gun in the movie.
Because this IS a what if. It doesn't take place in the DCU, it's not Leto's Joker (that's the definitive Joker right now), as far as we know it doesn't even have superheroes. This is a completely new take on the character, the point is that it's different. You're arguing for things to just be the same over and over and over and for what reason? Just because they have before?

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
i dont care if people like a movie or not, its just some of the takes are ridiculous.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
And you think this film will be devoid of antagonists who are not into what the Joker is doing?

The protagonist doesn't need to change by the end of any story by an antagonist. We're already seeing the focus on the metamorphosis from how he was before he embraced the feeling of being the "Joker" and after.
I don't necessarily think that the movie will make people "who are not into what the Joker is doing" into the anatgonist. Is Aunt May an antagonist to Peter because she disapproves of some of the things he does? Not really.

I think we agree that a protagonist doesn't need to change, but if we are talking about a character being challenged in their world views by an antagonist, I think that does often spark a change, even if it isn't to exactly the same view point. An example of that is T'Challa being challenged by Killmonger and this view point.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Vctor182

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not feeling the plot of this movie, soundtrack is really good as well as the actors performances but the plot looks to be bad.

"The world is shitting on me so I'm going to shit the world" take is cringe, Joker is supposed to be evil since the start.