Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
If I wanted to watch some Tragic Hero tryhard (who was last really relevant in the 2000s) "tell it like it is" to the masses, with a script at times unsubtly pandering to the Nazis, I would subscribe to netflix and watch the new Dave Chappelle "comedy" "special"

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck everyone is so positive on twitter.

I don't understand, it looks so generic and flat.

I really don't get it. Is it just actor hype ?

I'm struggling to see it as anything other than a Taxi Driver / The King of Comedy imitation, but if those didn't exist as far as a person was aware I can understand seeing it as a validating, 'serious' treatment of comic book material, cringeworthy as that sounds.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If I wanted to watch some Tragic Hero tryhard (who was last really relevant in the 2000s) "tell it like it is" to the masses, with a script at times unsubtly pandering to the Nazis, I would subscribe to netflix and watch the new Dave Chappelle "comedy" "special"
p6YtNuj.gif

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Joaquin looks like he's having a blast. I'll watch it eventually for that alone.

Outside of that the story looks fucking horrible.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I don't understand about this trailer is what is going on with Joaquin's rib cage

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
If I am guessing. Thomas Wayne is a politician who calls the folks In the opposition in the city as clowns for being so republican like, very similar to Hillary calling trump supporters as deplorables . The alt right like folks take up the clown mantle similar to how trump fans call themselves deplorables. Joker who is apolitical is not the cause but he the symptom of the chaos who becomes the joker at the end , thus representing the clowns in the street as Thomas Wayne called them
Joker = Trump as per the film makers
Clown masked folks = alt right

art immitating life

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
i enjoyed the first trailer more but this was pretty good, should be fun even if it's only to watch joaquin act the hell out of this movie

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Joaquin Phoenix is still very relevant. He's turned down roles like Dr. Strange and The Hulk Thai past decade. He prefers working in smaller character based one-off films. The movie looks like a fun comic book meets Taxi Driver story.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Phoenix will be fantastic, but I just have a feeling this is going to be a mediocre movie with great trailers. I'll be seeing it opening weekend nonetheless.

Oct 25, 2017
I like it but struggling to see how this relates to the world of dc comics
It doesn't.
"We didn't follow anything from the comic-books, which people are gonna be mad about," Phillips said. "We just wrote our own version of where a guy like Joker might come from. That's what was interesting to me. We're not even doing Joker, but the story of becoming Joker. It's about this man."

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He has been mainstream for quite some time. Not every actor wants to be in a bunch of blockbusters. Daniel Day Lewis could walk into marvel studios and be given his pick of roles, but not everyone wants that.
^that's true, especially if it locks them into a role for a while like it does in the superhero genre(i.e. Chris Evans being unsure about locking himself in for Cap all those years back)

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
I have no idea what I just watched...but I have this feeling that Joaquin Phoenix's Joker will show up in Matt Reeve's Batman.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
It would be great if the movie tackles the Joker's mental illness the same way Mr. Robot tackles Elliot's mental illness. Unfortunately, I'm not getting that vibe from the trailer.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

This is the most tryhard post in this thread lol. These "alt-right" posts are insufferable.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly cannot process how someone could look at this and think it's generic and flat.

There's no CGI talking raccoons.

This is an all-time hot take.

Nov 30, 2017
It would be great if the movie tackles the Joker's mental illness the same way Mr. Robot tackles Elliot's mental illness. Unfortunately, I'm not getting those vibes from the trailer.

The Joker does not have a mental illness. He just cracks one day because of shitty circumstances. It's not because he had an underlying mental issue which causes him to snap.

He's supposed to represent that anyone of us having a shitty day can snap at any moment. Forcing this whole mental illness aspect onto him just makes him more sympathetic and ruins his character imo.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
based on the trailer: Unstable white failson is put down by black women, decides to become murder clown, inspires other white boys, now where have I seen this narrative before

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing tryhard here is your post.

based on the trailer: Unstable white failson is put down by black women, decides to become murder clown, inspires other white boys, now where have I seen this narrative before
And another one...

edit: Yeah I'm out. Movie looks cool but this thread is unbearable.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are they trying to make Joker a sympathetic character? I'll watch it but this trailer did nothing for me.

It's called showing nuance and backstory. Whether all of that makes you feel sympathetic to him or not is up to you. You may be shocked to find out that not everyone that does bad things is a bad person all of the time or was not a good person at one point in their life. Life has gray areas like that.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Why?
2. How is it edgelord? Joker looks and comes across as absolutely pathetic.
1. What makes Joker a compelling villain is that he's more of a force of nature than anything. There's a reason why he doesn't have a definitive backstory, much of a clear motivation, or even an identity outside of just being a Joker and it works because he's not the focus or PoV of Batman, so there's no reason to get into his head. It's like trying to give a natural disaster a backstory. It's stupid, needless, and you don't need all of that to get it and in fact getting that would ruin the mystique around the Joker. And I highly doubt they're going to go with the "multiple choice path" angle.

2. Have you ever met an edgelord?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great to me. I especially like that it looks like the polar opposite of the MCU movies.

No need for all these comic book movies to be cut from the same mold.

Could be a trainwreck for all I know but kudos for trying something very different.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Love how Joaquin pushes his body and really explores the physical sides of his recent roles (this, the Master, You were never really here).
I have rarely seen an actor do that do that degree.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
"We just wrote our own version of where a guy like Joker might come from. That's what was interesting to me. We're not even doing Joker, but the story of becoming Joker.
Raimi's Spider-Man: When it feels like the whole world is shitting on you, strive to be a better person.

Todd Phillips' Joker: When it feels like the whole world is shitting on you, I guess it makes logical sense you become murderer.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
1. What makes Joker a compelling villain is that he's more of a force of nature than anything. There's a reason why he doesn't have a definitive backstory, much of a clear motivation, or even an identity outside of just being a Joker and it works because he's not the focus or PoV of Batman, so there's no reason to get into his head. It's like trying to give a natural disaster a backstory. It's stupid, needless, and you don't need all of that to get it and in fact getting that would ruin the mystique around the Joker. And I highly doubt they're going to go with the "multiple choice path" angle.
I thought Joker's origins have been explored multiple times in comics?