• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017

get back in that white room, jony

jony-ive-10-20-09.jpg

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
You've got to give Jony Ive credit. Not only is he resuming his high-pressure role leading this design group, but he put out a great album this year with LCD Soundsystem.

hqdefault.jpg

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It really doesn't matter when you use it.

The notch just covers space where the status bar is. What's the big deal?

I do understand that it's probably easy to ignore, BUT I won't be able to. It's like a dead pixel somewhere in a corner. You can barely see it, but it's always bugging you.

EDIT: One thing they could do is to redesign the software to where there's always a line that cuts off the notch and it never is pulled into the whole screen. I could live with that.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I will not even consider buying iPhone again until they remove that notch. I can't think of a worse thing you could do to the screen.
I do understand that it's probably easy to ignore, BUT I won't be able to. It's like a dead pixel somewhere in a corner. You can barely see it, but it's always bugging you.

It really is not a problem. I am a complete video nerd (the type who recalibrates a friends TV before I will watch a movie at their house, who returns things for dead pixels, etc) and it really does just disappear when you are using it.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It really is not a problem. I am a complete video nerd (the type who recalibrates a friends TV before I will watch a movie at their house, who returns things for dead pixels, etc) and it really does just disappear when you are using it.
One thing they could do is to redesign the software to where there's always a line that cuts off the notch and it never is pulled into the whole screen. I could live with that.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One thing they could do is to redesign the software to where there's always a line that cuts off the notch and it never is pulled into the whole screen. I could live with that.
So just have the battery indicator background black?

Eh, enjoy. A bigger issue I think people have is the swipe indicator bar always being present while playing games and such.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't his position to oversee software design? So he gets back to hardware now?

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously once you use it you never ever clock it. In fact it's quite endearing. Also when the screen is off the screen and notch look the same so it looks all flash

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't particularly care about their designs, but have to say their Macbook line has gone down the pooper. I've never had so many problems with any Apple product as I've had in the first year owning this Touchbar nonsense Macbook Pro for work.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
No notch, no camera bump.

I want an iPhone, stop fucking it up.

4S was the last time the iPhone was pretty. Such incompetence.

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hardly anyone who has the phone itself sees the notch as an issue . Those who don't are the ones unhappy with it

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
Is there a reason they don't just raise the rest of the rear of the phone so it's flush with the camera? Is it purely a "making the phone thinner" thing, or is here a technical reason for it.

As for the notch, I would've liked to see them use the OLED to keep the display next to the notch black, with the battery/connectivity symbols in white.

Will be interesting to see what Ive comes up with. Those videos were always weirdly fun to watch

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It wasn't a deal breaker for people who bought the phone." Yeah, no shit. They wouldn't have bought it otherwise.
Considering it's record breaking sales, yeah if notch was an issue the reviewers would mention it enmasse the users would mention it and there would be thousands of stories of returns because of notch or thousands saying it's a great phone except for the notch ... but no . This is not the headphone issue it's just people not liking something they don't intend to own

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering it's record breaking sales, yeah if notch was an issue the reviewers would mention it enmasse the users would mention it and there would be thousands of stories of returns because of notch or thousands saying it's a great phone except for the notch ... but no . This is not the headphone issue it's just people not liking something they don't intend to own

Seems really similar to the headphone issue to me. People are living with it and justifying their purchases for the most part.

I would have put up with the notch, too, but I'm holding out on switching over to the X version of the iPhone until next year at least to see if they bring back Touch ID. You see plenty of people defending the removal of that, too, but it doesn't mean tons of people wouldn't prefer having it.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Hardly anyone who has the phone itself sees the notch as an issue . Those who don't are the ones unhappy with it
Huh? Of course that's the case?

I didn't buy it, because it's really ugly. If I didn't think it was ugly, I'd have bought it, so obviously it wouldn't have bothered me.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's cool.

I don't get the complaints about design. Everything has looked great alongside the competition.

I mean, there's a reason why Chinese OEMs copy their design and nobody else's

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems really similar to the headphone issue to me. People are living with it and justifying their purchases for the most part.

I would have put up with the notch, too, but I'm holding out on switching over to the X version of the iPhone until next year at least to see if they bring back Touch ID. You see plenty of people defending the removal of that, too, but it doesn't mean tons of people wouldn't prefer having it.

Headphones is a functional issue. Notch is aesthetics and design. Almost all folks including reviewers like the notch. It's not even noticeable once you have your hands on the phone

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I think his point is more like... if you actually use the phone, you'll realize it's a non-issue.
I think that's more a case of functionality, like landscape it doesn't bother him on YT or whatever. The practical implication of the notch doesn't bother me whatsoever. It's purely the aesthetic that I don't like. The Pixel 2 seems like a much nicer phone than the S8, but it's fugly, so I don't care.

The S8 is far from perfect, like why the fuck isn't the charger hole inline with the headphone jack? It's awful, but I hardly see it. The notch on the other hand...

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Can he make Apple stuff interesting again? Everything they have done for years now has been pretty boring to look at.