• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thanos is a great mocap performance, and the Brolin's take is super imposing like an Empire Strikes Back Darth Vader sort of way but with more emotional drive and nuance.

Ledger's interrogation scene is still pretty fucking amazing though....
This is a well articulated way of putting thanos' positives. I think he succeeds more than Vader too despite facing such daunting opposition. The scene with gamora pushes him over ledger imo. The one bad thing about joker was he wasn't given as much opportunity for range. I think thanos had more variance in his writing which even if he had a singular goal he never felt repetitive like ledger was at times

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I never thought of The Joker as a genuine villain ("How is this guy Batman's arch-nemesis? Is Batman, like, really afraid of clowns?") until Ledger's performance.

No MCU hero or villain seems real-life possible. Ledger's TJ was true sociopathic genius, both absurd in his motivation and realistic in his methods. Only villain I can really put beside him is Anton Chigurh. Authenticity is the key.
There's a difference between authenticity and realism. I don't think more realism is automatically a point for that performance

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I love Brolin but not even close. Not even in the same league. Heath Ledger transformed into a completely new person for his role. Brolin was just being Brolin

If you're saying that Ledger's Joker wins because he's so much more iconic, I think it's way too early to say that. It's only been two days. Ten years from now, Thanos very well MIGHT be seen as just as iconic. I could see him becoming just as strong of a "shorthand for villain" as Joker/Vader/Dracula/whoever.

There is no way.
Please tell me one scene that shows amazing acting chops for Brolin in this movie. I think everyone is just so used to the villains being so awful in the MCU world

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you wanna argue Ledger's Joker is better, by all means, go ahead.

But these Vader>>>Thanos takes are insane. Even including his insane outing in Rogue One.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
If you wanna argue Ledger's Joker is better, by all means, go ahead.

But these Vader>>>Thanos takes are insane. Even including his insane outing in Rogue One.

Doesn't sound insane to me.

Being a great villain isn't always about depth. Vader has a better design, a better voice, a better screen presence, everything about him is insane secret episode final boss tier that commands respect. He isn't just iconic because lolstarwars. That Rogue One scene is proof how hindered he was by the product of time.

Took Thanos killing 10+ heroes to get the same clout

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Ledgers performance is one of the best in all of cinema. Not just comic book movies.

Tonedeff

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now, I'd still give it to Heath's Joker. I liked his performance way more. I left room for Brolin's Thanos to grow on me, but I honestly doubt he'll actually edge him out

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Thanos is my favorite MCU villain, like no contest, but the Joker in Dark Knight is one of the most iconic villains ever, and probably the most iconic of any superhero film. Heath Ledger was born for that character.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is no world where Brolin as Thanos is a better role than Ledger as Joker.

Like...Thanos is a better written character than the Joker, but Ledger acts the fuck out of that role and makes it truly terrifying as a villain and pure joy to watch. Thanos is much more complex as a character and Brolin nails it, but to simply have this discussion is as much honor as it should get in comparison.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't sound insane to me.

Being a great villain isn't always about depth. Vader has a better design, a better voice, a better screen presence, everything about him is insane secret episode final boss tier that commands respect. He isn't just iconic because lolstarwars. That Rogue One scene is proof how hindered he was by the product of time.

Took Thanos killing 10+ heroes to get the same clout

Absolutely none of this is true.

Why are you lying on the Internet?

Vader is a cinematic and cultural icon
Vader set the stage for all that came after

Of course he is.

Thanos is also a better villain. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017

Of course he is.

Eh
Are we talking OT Vader or Vader as a whole?
Thanos has better motivations than OT Vader but I wouldnt consider him to be a better Villain, Vader does what he meant to do perfectly and cant be outclassed. Vader as a whole though has far more depth and personality than MCU Thanos

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018

darth-vader-dont-make-me-destroy-you-animated-gif.gif

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanos was great but he only sticks out because MCU has a laundry list of forgettable villians.

He's still top 10 either way. Ledger is distant #1 though. I'm pretty sure it will never be topped.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Of course he is.

You can't tell other people are lying for their opinions that Vader for some is a better villain than Thanos, that's very rude and condescending.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Are you guys going insane?

Brolin nailed the part and was really cool but Ledger was iconic and the shit isn't even close.

I look forward to you guys getting these hot takes and post-movie afterglow excitement out of your systems. This shit is fuckin ridiculous.
Thank you.

Thanos was good but not amazing. There was nowhere near the range that Ledger put out

Same goes for Killmonger and MBJ's lame subpar performance in BP.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you.

Thanos was good but not amazing. There was nowhere near the range that Ledger put out

Same goes for Killmonger and MBJ's lame subpar performance in BP.
You know thatracting range means that the actor exhibits a number of characteristics and emotions across a wide spectrum right? Not just one thing the whole time.

Also MBJ's Killmonger was great, not perfect or defining, but still great.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? Thanos was a great villain but not even comparable to HL's Joker as far as acting is concerned.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh
Are we talking OT Vader or Vader as a whole?
Thanos has better motivations than OT Vader but I wouldnt consider him to be a better Villain, Vader does what he meant to do perfectly and cant be outclassed. Vader as a whole though has far more depth and personality than MCU Thanos

Vader as a whole has a fraction of Thanos's character.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
You know thatracting range means that the actor exhibits a number of characteristics and emotions across a wide spectrum right? Not just one thing the whole time.

Also MBJ's Killmonger was great, not perfect or defining, but still great.
Yes? And I thought Thanos was very lacking in that department.

Killmonger on paper was good, I wasn't convinced by MBJ in it and I usually love the guy. He just doesn't work as a villain imo. I know I'm in the minority in that one though

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Vader as a whole has a fraction of Thanos's character.
Lolwut
MCU Thanos has one film to his name where he's actually a character.

Vader has 6 films and a 5 season TV show that flesh him out as a character from his childhood to his death and everything in between.

MCU Thanos is 1/100th of the character Vader is.

Yes? And I thought Thanos was very lacking in that department.

Killmonger on paper was good, I wasn't convinced by MBJ in it and I usually love the guy. He just doesn't work as a villain imo. I know I'm in the minority in that one though

I mean sure, but Ledger's Joker doesn't really have any range either. Of all the comparisons to make between the two I find that to be the weakest. At least Thanos showed some emotion and reluctance. You cant really say the same for Ledger. Which is mo fault of the performance but more so how the character was written.

hasan114

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I liked Thanos much bette than Vader. He is better written too.

Not sure if he wasbetter than HLs Joker though very different characters

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Vader is nowhere near Thanos. Sorry.
Yeah, you're right.
Vader has gravitas, is purely intimidating, has an iconic design, trancends the medium, the single most iconic line in cinema, one of the most iconic redemption arcs in cinema and got to be in both the single most popular franchise but also one of the greatest films of all time. And then a whole trilogy of films made purely to show his fall from grace.

Thanos has misguided ideals and gets to be in infinity war.

What makes a great villain isn't about an understandable point of view or being sympathetic. Not to say those traits can't be iconic. Its about working as a foil to your protagonist(s) and working as a force to halt the progression and advancements of the protagonist(s).

Vader is a perfect foil to Luke, Han, Leia and Obi Wan and pretty much wrote the book to being an incredible villain before the pen hit the paper for the original Infinity Gauntlet comic book and had it not been for Vader, you wouldn't be seeing characters like Thanos who conceptually borrows a lot from Vader.

Vader isn't a deep villain, up until ROTJ he's pretty one note and cold. But that's exactly what makes him so good, is that he works as a perfect foil to the pure hearted Luke Skywalker, his unrelenting focus allows him to capture Han, and his lack of fear to strike down his old mentor in cold blood. Hes the unstoppable force to the immoveable object of morality driven Luke. He's a simple villain, and its easy to make a simple villain work rather than attempting to create a complex one. You can poke holes in Thanos' logic, at which point his motivations start to fall apart, and because he's played as sympathetic it starts to come off as silly and illogical. Vader doesn't do what he does in a misguided attempt to sace the universe, he's driven by his own internal logic that doesn't need much explanation because it's hardly relevant to the story being told. He's an icon of an authoritarian regime, the enforcer of the empire and master of the dark side of the force. He'ssa symbol of opposition to everything the heroes stand for and that's why Vader is the perfect villain. He's simple, effective and does the job well.

And that's even ignoring Anakin. To imply that Thanos has more character simply because he displays a slightly wider arrange of emotions is ridiculous. The few lines Vader speaks, he owns, nothing feels unearned and he dominates every scene hes in with an unmatchable swagger. 40 years later his lines are still quotable and he's already proven the test of time. History has remembered Vader for a reason.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
So, lets talk about this.

For a CGI/MoCap character, Brolin sold the shit out of Thanos. He was the star in practically every single scene. I feel like he not only raised the bar for MoCap performances, but also villain performances in cape movies. The MCU has been giving us some decent villains in the last few years, but I feel like Brolin's Thanos really knocked it out of the park. Ledger's Joker is usually the standard here when we talk about villain performances, so I think this conversation is going to come up sooner or later.

What say you? Do you think Brolin's performance is comparable with Ledger's Joker? Do you think it could even be a comparison given Thanos is CGI/MoCap?
Edit:

Not even the same league.

But a great Thanos performance.

Mar 10, 2018
Thanos has more.
is purely intimidating
Thanos is more.
has an iconic design
That is true, but only because of time. And that doesn't necessarily make you a better villain.
transcends the medium
I have to disagree with this. Vader is pure summer blockbuster: cheesy, campy, and unrealistic. None of those things make him bad though. Vader does all of those things very well. But in no way does he "transcend the medium." If anything, Thanos does. I've never seen another villain do what he's done before in film. He breaks the notion of what a conventional movie villain is supposed to be capable of.
the single most iconic line in cinema
Isn't relevant to the current topic.
one of the most iconic redemption arcs in cinema
Again, with this word "iconic." As if that's some infallible indicator of quality. How iconic is Anton Chigurh? The wife from Gone Girl? Lil Ze? And besides, Vader never had a "redemption" arc. Killing the Emperor isn't enough to absolve him of all the heinous things he's done. It was a step in the right direction, yes, but not redemption. Just one last good act before dying. And why would being redeemed make you a better villain, anyway? It can maybe indicate that the former villain had some internal conflict, but that doesn't inherently make for a more compelling villain.
got to be in both the single most popular franchise
Again, irrelevant to the discussion.
but also one of the greatest films of all time
...No.
And then a whole trilogy of films made purely to show his fall from grace
And we sure saw how excellent those films were.
Thanos has misguided ideals and gets to be in infinity war
Right, because villains are supposed to be rightly-guided. But hey, from Vader's point of view the Jedi were evil. Who am I to tell him wrong?
And if Vader were ever so lucky to be in Infinity War, he'd be one of Thanos' underlings. Maybe a tad beneath Squidward in rank.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm loving that people are using prequel Anakin development for justifying why Vader is a better character after years of people saying the prequels ruined Vader as a villain.

It feels like ironic justice, and it wouldn't have been possible if the new best movie villain, Thanos, didn't change the game. ;P

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Some how the dumbest fucking argument on ERA appears at the top.

i's not a bug, it's a feature. Dumbasses run this forum.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ledger did an amazing job of being a terrifying psychopath. Brolin brought an incredible range of emotions to his portrayal of Thanos. I'm not going to say Thanos was the better acting job, but I don't think it's fair to say that it's not even in the same league as Ledger's Joker mostly because it was so one-note.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Ledger did an amazing job of being a terrifying psychopath. Brolin brought an incredible range of emotions to his portrayal of Thanos. I'm not going to say Thanos was the better acting job, but I don't think it's fair to say that it's not even in the same league as Ledger's Joker mostly because it was so one-note.
Brolin was either angry or angry-serious for 95% of the movie. Ledgers joker had incredible range. Just because it was within a shell of a psychopath doesn't make it one note.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

Not in the same league. Like we're talking minors vs the majors. Not among one actors circle anywhere on the planet right now is anyone walking out of the Avengers and thinking "Brolin really did some of the most iconic villain work of all time in this". You are all confusing the fact that you liked his performance and enjoyed that he was for the first time a well rounded villain that wasn't one note. He is the best villain in the MCU for sure hands down and he did a great job but lets not get crazy.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Brolin's Thanos is everything you could want in a fearsome and sympathetic villain. However, the focused nature of his role in the massive ensemble story of Infinity War put more constraints on his expressive range than Heath Ledger's Joker, who had free play in an open-ended game with Batman and his city.

Thanos wants a set of items for a specific purpose. The Joker wants to tear down society's civilized veneer and prove a point by corrupting its greatest defenders. The Joker had more leeway and better opportunities to run wild, and Ledger pressed those advantages to the absolute limit with his darkly comic, charismatic take on the character.

Additionally, Infinity War would be perfectly watchable if Brolin or even Thanos were traded out for someone else. Ledger's Joker makes TDK. You wouldn't have a movie without that performance.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Joker is why the movie is still worth watching. Thanos owned the movie, but there is a wide gulf in why the movies are watched. Joker = tdk.