• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Everything you just said is nothing more your opinion too so...? Like what does Ledger's Joker v. his other roles have to do with his place in the Pantheon of Cinema Villains? Not a thing. These types of " X >Y" threads are impossible because it's just people disagreeing with each other's tastes back and forth until the thread runs its course.
The point is to provide your own thoughts and evidence, arguments and counter arguments to prove a point. You know, actual discussion with merit?

Ledger having better performances in his own career just goes to show that this performance in particular isn't worthy of that degree of praise

If youre opinion is all you have to offer thats fine but, if you don't care to articulate and counter why bother entering a discussion, or more acurately, a debate in the first place?

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion Joker can't be topped, but Thanos is up there too in the top 5, I liked him a lot in this movie.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
The point is to provide your own thoughts and evidence, arguments and counter arguments to prove a point. You know, actual discussion with merit?

Ledger having better performances in his own career just goes to show that this performance in particular isn't worthy of that degree of praise

If youre opinion is all you have to offer thats fine but, if you don't care to articulate and counter why bother entering a discussion, or more acurately, a debate in the first place?

You can articulate them brilliantly, call them " arguments" but they will still be your opinions. Nothing you or I say will be more than our own opinion. We are not stating unarguable facts here.

Also, we are comparing Ledger to Thanos not Ledger vs. Ledger. I don't know how Ledger having better roles diminishes his Joker , if anything it just illustrates how brilliant a talent he was, that the role of a lifetime for many wasn't even the best of his career

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't need throw away lines to understand why characters are feeling natural emotions. Rudimentary empathy and an understanding of humans suffice.
Imagine watching No Country for Old Men and the writing not reinforce the laws of the world and our place wihin it. Do you think the ending would be as satisfying? No. Because you can't assune human emotion to a script, you need to build and reinforce or else you don't got much substance.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanos was good, but Heath was perfect, and this isn't even getting into Heath's naunces that went beyond just delivering lines (Brolin), the twitches, expressions and body language was terrifying, he completely embodied a maniac that took pleasure in his insanity. Thanos, compared to MCU villians is in a class of his own, but he is nowhere near to Heaths Joker, most of that is down to Heath himself and the material he worked with.

Last edited:

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A person cried after killing the parent they've fixated on and hated most of their life. I don't need a "Maybe Daddy Thanos wasn't all that bad..." moment before that to understand why that person would cry in that instance. People cry when they're emotionally overwhelmed. It's a pretty human reaction. And it doesn't even have to signal regret on Gamora's part.
Not too mention there was that whole scene with child Gamora before that.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Imagine watching No Country for Old Men and the writing not reinforce the laws of the world and our place wihin it. Do you think the ending would be as satisfying? No. Because you can't assune human emotion to a script, you need to build and reinforce or else you don't got much substance.
Imagine watching a movie, and seeing a daughter kill the father that raised, and not understanding why she is crying.

Some things truly don't require much explaining.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
In what world are villains compared to Ledger's Joker ? Um... this one? Vader, Lecter, and Joker that's what I think many would argue as the TOP Villain Trinity. Even if you disagree and say put Bardem's Chigurh, Hans Gruber, ... Ledger is still right there in the top cinema villains EVER.

Wait a minute.

The holy trinity of cinematic villains in general? Word? What's the threshold here? Would someone like Annie Wilkes in Misery or Norman Bates in Psycho count?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Thano's crush with death is ridiculous, I'm happy they changed it for the movie.
And killing half life because 'balance' is not?with magic stones that could make entire planets appear?
Imagine if it makes it in, like after killing half the population 'Death' appears before Thanos and he finds her beautiful, so to impress her he goes insane and decides to kill the other half

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not too mention there was that whole scene with child Gamora before that.
You mean the scene where Thanos picks out a random child and that sets up his perspective on his love for Gamora. Or how about him torturing her sister for info? Or how about how Gamora repeatedly states she hates Thanos and that chair. It's not set up well. I am shocked so many people find that type of writing good.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
You can articulate them brilliantly, call them " arguments" but they will still be your opinions. Nothing you or I say will be more than our own opinion. We are not stating unarguable facts here.
This is kind of handwaving the point. Stating an opinion with a lack of articulation or supporting evidence isn't an argument. Its a statement. Its not the same thing and its also not worth discussing. Arguments and supporting evidence can be disputed, an opinion cannot.

Also, we are comparing Ledger to Thanos not Ledger vs. Ledger. I don't know how Ledger having better roles diminishes his Joker , if anything it just illustrates how brilliant a talent he was, that the role of a lifetime for many wasn't even the best of his career
Thanks but I've read the thread and layed out both my opinions and arguments and you're attempting to dispute one point while ignoring the argument as a whole. Which was that I don't believe Ledger's Joker to be a performance worthy of "best in cinema history" and it not even being Ledger's best performance kind of ruins that.

Brolin and Ledger accomplish their goals as villains equally as well in the films they occupy. But neither is perfect and both are flawed, largely as a result of the films they occupy and the stories they try to tell rather than the performances themselves. Neither are a perfect representation of the character or even really the ideals said character represents and for that reason while Ledger's performance is a strong one, nobody really wins in this matchup.

Naked Koopa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And killing half life because 'balance' is not?with magic stones that could make entire planets appear?
Imagine if it makes it in, like after killing half the population 'Death' appears before Thanos and he finds her beautiful, so to impress her he goes insane and decides to kill the other half
Killing half the population to balance things out, for me, is the most realistic cause a villain ever did on screen.

If I had no moral, I'd probably buy that cause.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine watching a movie, and seeing a daughter kill the father that raised, and not understanding why she is crying.

Some things truly don't require much explaining.
You do if you set up the character as not loving him at all. You don't seem to understand what a payoff means. These things have to be built up.

Oct 28, 2017
I never thought of The Joker as a genuine villain ("How is this guy Batman's arch-nemesis? Is Batman, like, really afraid of clowns?") until Ledger's performance.

No MCU hero or villain seems real-life possible. Ledger's TJ was true sociopathic genius, both absurd in his motivation and realistic in his methods. Only villain I can really put beside him is Anton Chigurh. Authenticity is the key.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the scene where Thanos picks out a random child and that sets up his perspective on his love for Gamora. Or how about him torturing her sister for info? Or how about how Gamora repeatedly states she hates Thanos and that chair. It's not set up well. I am shocked so many people find that type of writing good.
I didn't say it was good writing, but it wasn't strange to see Gamora crying after that scene.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Killing half the population to balance things out, for me, is the most realistic cause a villain ever did on screen.

If I had no moral, I'd probably buy that cause.
So when the species repopulate and youre met with the same issues do you just gather the infinity stones again or what? Its not really a permenant solution and arguably pretty silly.

Naked Koopa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So when the species repopulate and youre met with the same issues do you just gather the infinity stones again or what? Its not really a permenant solution and arguably pretty silly.
HIs example, Gamora's planet, is thriving. He gives them a chance to fix things, if they dont, they're doomed.

Makes perfect sense.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I kind of think Thanos was better but maybe just because the awe of Heath's Joker has lessened for me over the years.

Mar 10, 2018
But the Joker was never outsmarted. It got to the point where Batman and Gordon had to create a lie to protect Gotham.
But you never get the sense that the Joker is truly unstoppable. He could be easily killed at any time, it's just that Batman refuses to do so. That one rule is the only thing that prevents Bruce from being superior to the Joker. But, with that rule in place, they are on a level playing field. The Joker has his match in Batman. They are opposite, yet equal forces. Order vs. Chaos. The dynamic between those two is kind of like the one between Light and L in Death Note. There exists no such dynamic between Thanos and anyone else in Infinity War. He completely outclasses eveyone. There's no one to "keep him check," like Batman does to Joker in TDK.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Appropriate, yes. There was love there once, hell Thanos even states after the illusion washes away that she stood for the same beliefs at one point.
Ok? That doesn't actually mean anything. She is a completely different person who hasn't faltered from her position.

Even then, look at how little is written of their relationship. This isn't earned.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
His Joker is still pretty damn good if you go back and watch it.

Oh I know it's good but it's lessened on me because I've seen the movie so much not that I haven't seen it in awhile or anything. Joker was batshit crazy but Thanos had a kind of calm storm about him and I think I liked that better.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
You do if you set up the character as not loving him at all. You don't seem to understand what a payoff means. These things have to be built up.
We are told by Gamora that she hates her father, that he made her life miserable, and that she wants to kill him. We are shown that, despite his madness and general cruelty, Thanos is tender and affectionate to Gamora, despite her distaste for him. When Gamora finally comes in contact with Thanos, the man who raised her, and deals a seemingly killing blow, instead of standing triumphantly above him, she weeps.

I honestly don't know how a person could digest all of that and come out confused.

Naked Koopa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I know it's good but it's lessened on me because I've seen the movie so much not that I haven't seen it in awhile or anything. Joker was batshit crazy but Thanos had a kind of calm storm about him and I think I liked that better.
I think you've nailed it for me. Thanos does indeed feel like a calm, calculated, focused storm.

I cant wait to go see the movie again next friday with my two kids.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep, felt like forced exposition, the child quickly forgetting her parents with Thanos distraction seemed weak, but i let that go, because its MCU. I know she never forgave him but that didn't line up with her instant loss for motherly love in her time of anguish.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok? That doesn't actually mean anything. She is a completely different person who hasn't faltered from her position.

Even then, look at how little is written of their relationship. This isn't earned.
We know about their relationship through Gamora's interactions with Nebula. Being the favorite daughter, betraying him, loathing him, etc.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We are told by Gamora that she hates her father, that he made her life miserable, and that she wants to kill him. We are shown that, despite his madness and general cruelty, Thanos is tender and affectionate to Gamora, despite her distaste for him. When Gamora finally comes in contact with Thanos, the man who raised her, and deals a seemingly killing blow, instead of standing triumphantly above him, she weeps.

I honestly don't know how a person could digest all of that and come out confused.

Do you really believe there was enough exploration between Thanos and Gamora to warrant that? Like, I would 100% understand if leading up you explore more of their relationship but it's just very simple observational or exposition on how bad he treated his kids. The entire situation boils down to this:

• Gamora is taken by Thanos
  • Thanos pits Nebula and Gamora against each other
  • Thanos abuses both of them regardless
  • Thanos thinks more highly of Gamora because she is strong
  • Gamora hates Thanos for killing her family and abusing her and her adoptive siblings
  • Gamora wants Thanos dead
Yeah, we could infer a bunch from this but it's so empty. You're filling in a lot of blanks to get the meat of the relationship. I honestly know more about Nebula and Thanos' relationship than Gamora and Thanos'. It's hard to see this as being anything but not earned.

Mar 10, 2018
I really hate Thanos in a way that few villains in films really are able to evoke a similar visceral reaction. I think people will still treat Ledger's Joker as untouchable due to his outstanding performance, but I think Thanos has taken the crown as all time best comic book movie villain.
This is exactly how I feel. Heath Ledger's Joker elicits feelings of fear, intimidation, and uncertainty, but never hatred. I admire Ledger's Joker as an iconic and awesome movie character. But I fucking hate Thanos. I hate him as if he personally killed someone I love. I hated him within five minutes of the movie. I want to see him get his shit kicked in by the Avengers. I never felt that way with the Joker. This is why Thanos is the more effective villain.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Do you really believe there was enough exploration between Thanos and Gamora to warrant that? Like, I would 100% understand if leading up you explore more of their relationship but it's just very simple observational or exposition on how bad he treated his kids. The entire situation boils down to this:

• Gamora is taken by Thanos
  • Thanos pits Nebula and Gamora against each other
  • Thanos abuses both of them regardless
  • Thanos thinks more highly of Gamora because she is strong
  • Gamora hates Thanos for killing her family and abusing her and her adoptive siblings
  • Gamora wants Thanos dead
Yeah, we could infer a bunch from this but it's so empty. You're filling in a lot of blanks to get the meat of the relationship. I honestly know more about Nebula and Thanos' relationship than Gamora and Thanos'. It's hard to see this as being anything but not earned.
Yes, I do think there was enough explanation of Thanos and Gamora's relationship to warrant the reaction. At least, I felt no confusion during the scene whatsoever.

My feeling at the time was that the relationships between children and the parents that abused them is often complicated. Gamora's crying didn't surprise me at all.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I do think there was enough explanation of Thanos and Gamora's relationship to warrant the reaction. At least, I felt no confusion during the scene whatsoever.

My feeling at the time was that the relationships between children and the parents that abused them is often complicated. Gamora's crying didn't surprise me at all.
It's not about confusion. I guarantee no one is actually failing to understand, it's the fact it doesn't feel earned considering how their relationship has played out on screen.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Thanos was alright, he's a villain out to do something nothing to memorable. The best parts of infinity war were just watching the heroes be themselves and doing hero shit.

Joker is legendary, he had people shook. Joker owned 2008. Best villain ever in cinematic history for me.

Nov 30, 2017
How hard is it to understand Thanos' motivations?

The whole movie is about sacrifice. Survival of the fittest. Since he was introduced in Avengers, his whole shtick has been putting his children to the test to see who deserves to be his child.

From refering to Ronan as "boy" as he is disobedient, to not even noticing Nebula, to calling his Black Order his "children", to calling Ebony Maw by his name, to calling Gamora his "favorite daughter" who has earned her stripes

Thanos killing half the population is him trying to teach everyone that sustainablity requires sacrifice. In his eyes he is giving an opportunity for other species to learn how to survive by being able to sacrifice what is necessary to survive.

If he just used the gauntlet to create unlimited resources, all the species would not understand what needs to be done to survive.

He is not trying to play god, and give everyone their wants. He believes, which has been hinted at in both Guardians movies, that you need to earn your right to live.

He is not that father that spoils his children. He is one where he teaches his guides his children to earn everything for themselves.

Him providing unlimited resources would be completely out of character of how he's been portrayed in previous movies.

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The year is 2018 and we still have people willing to take part in subpar spatula arguments. Amazing.
Well, yeah, you're on a place designed to discuss.

At its core, though, these posts references me seem to come from a place of envy. I get it, y'all wanna trump me but can't so slights be the way.

Hip hop jolly yo

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I had an hour-long argument on Thanos versus Heath Ledger's Joker. She thought Thanos was too muddled, too brooding, too muted to interest her. She didn't like how we weren't shown what Thanos' motivation really was. Sure we knew he was nihilistic, and we definitely saw he proved it, but she wanted to know why. I brought up Joker and how we saw he was the force of sheer chaos that everyone had to react to, and we never learned anything about why he was the way he was, and I asked her why she was fine with Joker, but not Thanos. And then we got to talking about how Joker and Thanos are interesting sides of the same coin. One wants chaos, one wants balance, distrusts the people of the galaxy to deal with things on their own, wants to control the chaos of people, and I was like Thanos is like if Batman were evil and had absolute power. And she's all well that's why I don't like him. She doesn't like Batman. We almost divorced. But it's cool, she likes Spidey, and that's who I'm hot for.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
I think Thanos beat Heath Ledger's Joker for me in my book. I prefer my villains with emotional depth.

They made me feel sorry for Thanos, the guy who want to wipe out half the galaxy. That's enough to convince me that's he's the best comic book villain.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Still seems incredibly hypocritical because him torturing Nebula then going "I care about my children" does not hold up considering

- Gamora betrayed him
- Gamora tried to kill him
- Gamora lied to him

Then again I think in GoTG 1 Nebula says Gamora was Thanos's favorite.
Your whole argument kind of fall apart though considering Thanos doesn't give two shits about Nebula. Gamora has always been the favorite by far, while Nebula was seen as a disappointment. And after his assassination attempt by Nebula, he even said killing her is a waste of scraps (metal).

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Thanos was a really really good performance.

But there's another tier like "holy crap, this might be a once in a lifetime performance" that Ledger is at in Dark Knight.

(it ain't even close)
I gotta agree with this. You're not gonna see a million Thanos Halloween costumes, or Melvin, Melvin, brother of Thanos.