• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Without those PPVs the Network fails. From day one. The content isn't devalued 'cause it's cheap, it's devalued because its cheap AND there's so much of it. Imagine 2017--when they had 19 PPVs in a single year--and there's no Network.
I think it would have been fine. It's cheap and for people who are interested in non-live programming. Slash the price to 5.99 and just use old footage, nothing live, and its fine to keep up AND doesn't eat your big revenue source from PPV orders.

Takeovers didn't exist pre-network - they could absolutely sell the shit out of those now at $30. $60 gets you the Takeover and the main roster PPV that weekend. That sounds like the best plan to me.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
There is no easy fix to this that involves charging sixty bucks. You WERE charging $10. And quite frankly, I think Dave was onto something when he said the Network was around before streaming services got out of hand. Now that we've got big competitors in the space, WWE Network is a hard sell. HBO Max is $20. Wrestlemania at sixty for seven hours of wrestling, and even if the quality was great throughout....that's way too exhausting.
Yeah, for those ten you can get a different streaming service with more diverse and probably better content.
Listening to Dave and Bryan and supposedly one of the big reasons why Vince fired Wilson/Barrios is because they thought stock piling talent they weren't using was a waste of resources.
That sounds like a Vince move.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would have been fine. It's cheap and for people who are interested in non-live programming. Slash the price to 5.99 and just use old footage, nothing live, and its fine to keep up AND doesn't eat your big revenue source from PPV orders.

Takeovers didn't exist pre-network - they could absolutely sell the shit out of those now at $30. $60 gets you the Takeover and the main roster PPV that weekend. That sounds like the best plan to me.

I don't think you could have gotten the Network to be a success at all if it's just a tape library, but then you'd have to look at what "success" means in that context.

As far as Takeovers go, I could see that. I have friends with the Network that wouldn't make that crossover though, because that's $30 for something they could only see once, and wouldn't even be there live.

But who knows, maybe they've got the dedicated fanbase for that to work.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you could have gotten the Network to be a success at all if it's just a tape library, but then you'd have to look at what "success" means in that context.

As far as Takeovers go, I could see that. I have friends with the Network that wouldn't make that crossover though, because that's $30 for something they could only see once, and wouldn't even be there live.

But who knows, maybe they've got the dedicated fanbase for that to work.
Its a big, tough, complicated question and unfortunately two people who would know are no longer with WWE so we can't see for sure, hah.

Pluto TV has a 24/7 TNA channel. There's somewhere for everyone...

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dave talking about Thatcher. Says WWE has wanted him for five years since he wrestled Hero WM Weekend in San Jose. He's had an open offer to sign since then. Thatcher badly wanted to sign on somewhere in Japan but has never gotten any offers. So he decided to just call it on that and sign with WWE finally.

Oct 25, 2017
Dave talking about Thatcher. Says WWE has wanted him for five years since he wrestled Hero WM Weekend in San Jose. He's had an open offer to sign since then. Thatcher badly wanted to sign on somewhere in Japan but has never gotten any offers. So he decided to just call it on that and sign with WWE finally.

Japan breaking hearts.

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017

Shame there is no regular Battlarts or FUTEN around. That is where he would have fit in.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I blame Gedo and the Bullet Club.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
NXT Japan coming 2020

giphy.gif

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

We got fucking ELP instead of Thatcher in NJPW

kill me

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Riddle will always be the biggest miss for NJPW but I can't actually blame NJPW for that because Bushiroad were the ones who shut it down

Slightconfuse

Oct 25, 2017
Me too but if it's one or the other it's Thatcher (it's not, it's a false dichotomy)

So many people New Japan could have had but drug their heels on or didn't want, it is after all, a Japanese promotion first

Sure I'm curious if he was on their radar. They are going after Zayne real hard. Thatcher is a mystery
Riddle will always be the biggest miss for NJPW but I can't actually blame NJPW for that because Bushiroad were the ones who shut it down

Didn't they offer him a deal but Gabe steered him to wwe

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the story that New Japan finally offered Riddle a full-time deal but WWE immediately countered? I remember Meltzer said that when he signed.

Didn't they offer him a deal but Gabe steered him to wwe

Yes, but NJPW had the opportunity to bring him in six months earlier before WWE offered him. He was announced and scheduled for World Tag League but Bushiroad execs killed those plans.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
The "strategic alternative" line makes me think WWE is gonna try to put WM back on PPV. Thurston seems to think the same.

That whole "nothing stopping us from doing other kinds of transactions with the network" line makes me think these jackasses are going to at least try to be the exclusive sellers of these PPVs before involving other services like DAZN and Peacock. Telling people who have been paying $10 a month for six years that they now have to buy $60 PPVs again is some Darth Vader and Lando Calrissian shit. This deal keeps getting worse all the time.

At least moving it to another service for PPVs would have disguised it a little.

Worth saying too that putting WM on the Network was a Michelle Wilson decision and obviously she's gone, so....

I hope that if one of the things that happens is the sale of the tape library that it gets broken up and not sold lock, stock and barrel. Different services could be better curators of segments of the library.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that if one of the things that happens is the sale of the tape library that it gets broken up and not sold lock, stock and barrel. Different services could be better curators of segments of the library.

I really doubt they do it that way. The library WWE owns has its value in its capacity and relative completeness.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So looks like the Network is gonna dieeee or be majorly split up
Wonder if they'll kill the massive archive.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So looks like the Network is gonna dieeee or be majorly split up
Wonder if they'll ill the massive archive.

Maybe not. Some are speculating they are going to sell the Network tech and personal data to a third-party, then license the content for it out to that party. So the Network itself wouldn't die, but it would be under new ownership and that owner would be paying WWE for the content.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The only thing I care about for the WWE results is WHEN ARE THEY FREEING MY MAN TOZAWA

assuming Tozawa even wants to leave ;;;;

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

There's Kylie's first WM weekend date. Head to head with NXT Takeover.

Almost certainly will be at Black Label Pro and probably at the Texas Forever show too, given those are places she's been regularly working since coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.