• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
You mean UFC? UFC had a much more measured approach to Fight Pass and it didn't destroy their biggest draws, which were their main shows.

Easy to see it in hindsight - but at the time, UFC dragging their feet, people weren't that hot on Fight Pass for some time but it found its niche, and didn't shut off a revenue stream from casuals.
No.

UFC is out of the PPV game. AEW has shown people are willing to buy wrestling PPVS at high prices.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stock price has fallen all the way to where it was before they announced they were getting $2 billion in TV money

just a spectacular disaster

6be9fde648a421dcb273292efbceeebe.gif

Right. This is what I have worked out happened. Vince woke up and realized the all-in push onto the Network devalued some of his shows. Mania especially. And it did, it really did. So he got mad about it and now wants to build it back up. I get it. Its not "crazy old man makes weird move" - it's something he feels he needs to do to make Mania a big-ticket item, and it should be.
I don't think it's a genie you can put back in the bottle unless you take away the WrestleMania live stream from the Network and only have it available as a VOD. And that would depress subscription sign-up or retention.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Average attendance is up because they're doing less house shows and Friday Smackdown is drawing quite a bit better than Tuesday Smackdown.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a genie you can put back in the bottle unless you take away the WrestleMania live stream from the Network and only have it available as a VOD. And that would depress subscription sign-up or retention.
I agree completely. You can't unfuck it.

What you have to do is add value to Mania. Make a weekend pass. Film more. Make more available. Give Network subscribers a discounted price for it. Make it $30 for the weekend pass on the Network, comes with Mania. It's something, goddammit.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Today with my pro graps journalism skills I discovered that Miyako Matsumoto wants a glass board explosion death match against Rika Tatsumi. I think it's fair to say I've contributed more to wrassle news than Dave has over the last decade.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
remember a year ago when Stardom said they were gonna start accepting Paypal

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I agree completely. You can't unfuck it.

What you have to do is add value to Mania. Make a weekend pass. Film more. Make more available. Give Network subscribers a discounted price for it. Make it $30 for the weekend pass on the Network, comes with Mania. It's something, goddammit.

The problem is that only appeals to the hardest of the hardcore. What finally got me to stop watching WWE was that Mania is already exhausting. I don't find the main show enjoyable because it drags on so long. Adding in a bunch of secondary shows sounds like work not entertainment.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that only appeals to the hardest of the hardcore. What finally got me to stop watching WWE was that Mania is already exhausting. I don't find the main show enjoyable because it drags on so long. Adding in a bunch of secondary shows sounds like work not entertainment.
I agree. I don't even want more, but how do you offer MORE than Wrestlemania and keep people happy? Fuck, I mean, I don't think you can without taking some major lumps and bad press over it.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Doubt it. If they go to any other streaming platform it will probably be DAZN because they already have international deals with them.
We can't get DAZN in the UK. Who else would pair up with WWE.

Will be interesting is AEW has a presence on HBO Max when it launches. It could make the WWE look small fry.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Angles on Dark and social media are completely useless if they don't show up on TV, especially in regards to explaining an out of the blue character turn.

But you're right, I don't watch AEW at all. I've been making all this up.

But if the claim was that there's no evidence that they are moving away from the NC angle, that's just wrong. You either have to
not be watching or not paying attention to think that at this point.

If they put the therapist stuff on TV, or the Shida/Mel match on TV, you
know damn well people would be bitching that they're wasting precious TV time on the angle that nobody likes, so it seems like shuttering it to the web based content should be the ideal situation, but I guess apparently not.

I think this is another funny situation where Dynamite was seemingly universally praised last night, but here we are focusing on like a one minute long appearance by someone, and an angle that hasn't been on Dynamite in almost a month. IMO this is absurd nitpicking.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. I don't even want more, but how do you offer MORE than Wrestlemania and keep people happy? Fuck, I mean, I don't think you can without taking some major lumps and bad press over it.

There is no easy fix to this that involves charging sixty bucks. You WERE charging $10. And quite frankly, I think Dave was onto something when he said the Network was around before streaming services got out of hand. Now that we've got big competitors in the space, WWE Network is a hard sell. HBO Max is $20. Wrestlemania at sixty for seven hours of wrestling, and even if the quality was great throughout....that's way too exhausting.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is another funny situation where Dynamite was seemingly universally praised last night, but here we are focusing on like a one minute long appearance by someone, and an angle that hasn't been on Dynamite in almost a month. IMO this is absurd nitpicking.

Things can be good and have bad parts at the same time. Not everything has to be effusive praise. AEW will survive this I assure you.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Doubt it. If they go to any other streaming platform it will probably be DAZN because they already have international deals with them.

DAZN hasn't signed any big deals in a while. Buying out the WWE network would require massively more than anything they've ever done before. It would be a big risk for anything but one of the mega-corps like Disney through ESPN.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to Dave and Bryan and supposedly one of the big reasons why Vince fired Wilson/Barrios is because they thought stock piling talent they weren't using was a waste of resources.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
DAZN hasn't signed any big deals in a while. Buying out the WWE network would require massively more than anything they've ever done before. It would be a big risk for anything but one of the mega-corps like Disney through ESPN.

There's no way of knowing how much WWE would want for a deal like this because we have no idea what their margins on PPVs are right now.

mattsdl

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Today with my pro graps journalism skills I discovered that Miyako Matsumoto wants a glass board explosion death match against Rika Tatsumi. I think it's fair to say I've contributed more to wrassle news than Dave has over the last decade.
GCfxxxinW!!!

remember a year ago when Stardom said they were gonna start accepting Paypal
Remember when the Network was about to get a higher-priced tier?

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The network in its current form is one of the stupider things Vince has done in recent years.

I mean, I could have told him 6 years ago that putting all the PPV's on there was a mistake. Plenty of people were saying it at the time.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
There's no way of knowing how much WWE would want for a deal like this because we have no idea what their margins on PPVs are right now.

Aside from the TV contracts, the network is the most valuable thing WWE owns since it represents steady profit. There could be carve outs for things like Mania not on the network, adding in secondary programs, etc but WWE would want several billion dollars for it.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The network in its current form is one of the stupider things Vince has done in recent years.

I mean, I could have told him 6 years ago that putting all the PPV's on there was a mistake. Plenty of people were saying it at the time.

Without those PPVs the Network fails. From day one. The content isn't devalued 'cause it's cheap, it's devalued because its cheap AND there's so much of it. Imagine 2017--when they had 19 PPVs in a single year--and there's no Network.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, another David Starr video to promote a match against Jeff Cobb for OTT.

OTT and Starr usually knock these out of the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.