• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck I haven't even begun reading Yu Yu for my Jump Force challenge for christ sake lol.

Awesome addition, I'll finally read Saint Seiya because of this! Hoping for Fist of the North Star or Jojo next!!!!
Man, do yourself a favor and watch the anime if possible. Yu Yu anime was sooo good, and the Blu Rays looks fantastic!

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Man, do yourself a favor and watch the anime if possible. Yu Yu anime was sooo good, and the Blu Rays looks fantastic!
I might do both, Im not really an anime guy. Love reading mangas however which is what Im basing the challenge off! If I enjoy it enough, and it has a good anime I might watch. (My favourite manga of all time is One Piece. But I can't stand the anime, I like Boku No Hero a lot, but I almost feel like the anime is better at points)

Thanks for the tip though, if I like it, I'll go for the Blu Ray just because of your tip :)

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
If his inclusion means putting money into that piece of shit's pockets then no, we really don't.

Kenshin is a huge part of Jump history. He absolutely deserves to be in this game despite what his artist did. And I don't think Japan will give a damn what the West thinks considering Kenshin is still in Jump promotions and the current Hokkaido arc is selling extremely well.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
No support characters this time. Everyone in a team is playable.

Light and Ryuk are story mode NPCs. They're the only Jump characters we know so far that are.
This is so lame, why hasn't Light been playable in any of these type of JUMP crossovers? In fact, this is only the second time Yugi has been a character at all since Ultimate Stars back on DS. And we probably ain't gonna get that amount of characters for a crossover again.

I might do both, Im not really an anime guy. Love reading mangas however which is what Im basing the challenge off! If I enjoy it enough, and it has a good anime I might watch. (My favourite manga of all time is One Piece. But I can't stand the anime, I like Boku No Hero a lot, but I almost feel like the anime is better at points)

Thanks for the tip though, if I like it, I'll go for the Blu Ray just because of your tip :)
Hey im kinda similar, unless the anime is at least as good as the manga. Thats why things like Attack of Titans of MHA are great, the animation is on point, the music, and even the voice acting. This, for example, doesn't happen for me with Naruto, i just cannot watch the anime. But in the case of Yu Yu the animation is really on point, and it has probably the best Tournament Arc for a manga ever (with the exception of maybe the original Dragon Ball). Its really that good.

This also brings the question: Why is always Toguro the Yu Yu villain in these games? Sensui is at least as good, or even any of the big three emperors of the dark world in the manga

Last edited:

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of women characters, seeing as how we got 3 protag reps for One Piece, Sakura could potentially be the 3rd for Naruto, at least, if it's not Kakashi. Urakaka or Tsuyu of Boku no Hero have a slight chance as well, if Todoroki doesn't get in. Noelle from Black Clover would be an obvious choice.

That's all I can think of unfortunately.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised it took so long to make the thread. I guess just goes to show not many here are hype on Seiya which is sad. It's a classic on the level of DBZ, and does a lot of things better imo

The first character is Pegasus Seiya and the second is Dragon Shiryu btw OP.
It's mostly because the game is ugly and so far removed from a shounen look (especially after the Naruto and DBFZ games) that even if I absolutely love saint seya I can't find the strenght to care about this game

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
This is so lame, why hasn't Light been playable in any of these type of JUMP crossovers? In fact, this is only the second time Yugi has been a character at all since Ultimate Stars back on DS. And we probably ain't gonna get that amount of characters for a crossover again.

It ultimately comes down to needing to get creative with how his moveset would work, since he doesn't come from a battle shonen. Spike themselves have said "We're only focusing on fighters" and "Light would be too overpowered with the Death Note", which are pretty bullshit excuses IMO.

So yeah, with you there. They're the developers, they should be able to figure this out.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
God times to be a Saint Seiya Fan, the inclusion of Seiya and Shiryu (Possible even more characters?) on this game, the new Saint Seiya Tencent game looks good too, hopefully it gets a global release soon, new anime early next year and that mysterious new Saint Seiya show from Netflix. good times ahead.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Glad to see Seiya and Shiryu join the roster. I hope we get some God Cloths, so Seiya and Goku can go God vs God. Seiya did get his God form in Japan before Goku got SSJ:

latest

Also, there needs to be an anime OST:

Not only for the awesome OP, but the fantastic score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mBtQ4fWM4Y

I may prefer the manga to the anime for story, cloth design, and such, but man, the anime had such fantastic music and voice work. Tohru Furuya as Seiya man...fantastic. He deserved better than Yamcha, lol.

SoldnerKei

Oct 26, 2017
I knew seiya was a given... but shiryu?? now we talking son

wish they used their divine cloth instead of the gold cloth for their transformation tho

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Kenshin is a huge part of Jump history. He absolutely deserves to be in this game despite what his artist did. And I don't think Japan will give a damn what the West thinks considering Kenshin is still in Jump promotions and the current Hokkaido arc is selling extremely well.
"Japan don't care so neither should anyone else" is such a sad excuse for enabling the enrichment of literal pedophiles. :/

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I knew seiya was a given... but shiryu?? now we talking son

wish they used their divine cloth instead of the gold cloth for their transformation tho

Definitely, I love the God Cloths, especially their detailed manga designs, which would work well with a 3D model:

tumblr_n43c9808lm1s5owz3o5_1280.jpg

The Hades OVA changed them from all Gold to the anime cloth colors sadly (and the natural flattening of textures to make animation easier).

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
It ultimately comes down to needing to get creative with how his moveset would work, since he doesn't come from a battle shonen. Spike themselves have said "We're only focusing on fighters" and "Light would be too overpowered with the Death Note", which are pretty bullshit excuses IMO.

So yeah, with you there. They're the developers, they should be able to figure this out.
Yeah, look at what Capcom did with Phoenix Wright. Its possible to do this sort of things

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised it took so long to make the thread. I guess just goes to show not many here are hype on Seiya which is sad. It's a classic on the level of DBZ, and does a lot of things better imo

The first character is Pegasus Seiya and the second is Dragon Shiryu btw OP.

It's always funny when Brazilians think that Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya are at the same level of popularity, haha. Dragon Ball is an absolute juggernaut and reached an enourmous popularity everywhere it aired, while SS has never been very popular even in Japan. It got notoriety in some countries in Latin America and France I think, but that's it. It's basically unknown in North america, and even by the newer generations in Japan. The franchise is produced there, but has been aimed at Brazil and these other countries for a while now, you can see that with them announcing the characters in a Brazilian event.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
The armor shaders look terrible, but there has never been a Saint Seiya game that figured it out, so I wouldn't expect it in a game where they are just guest characters. Really nice that both of them have their Gold Cloth as well!

As a huge Saint Seiya fan, this has strangely spiked my interest in the game.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's always funny when Brazilians think that Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya are at the same level of popularity, haha. Dragon Ball is an absolute juggernaut and reached an enourmous popularity everywhere it aired, while SS has never been very popular even in Japan. It got notoriety in some countries in Latin America and France I think, but that's it. It's basically unknown in North america, and even by the newer generations in Japan. The franchise is produced there, but has been aimed at Brazil and these other countries for a while now, you can see that with them announcing the characters in a Brazilian event.
I'm not saying it's as popular as DBZ, I was asserting that it's a classic of the likes of anime such as DBZ. I'm from NA so I definitely know underappreciated it is over here.

Hopefully the Netflix show gives it a second life like what's happening with Jojo recently.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018

As an American, Saint Seiya absolutely deserves to stand by Dragon Ball Z.

Saint Seiya did compete quite successfully with Dragon Ball for a few years when they ran together in WSJ. Toei's bad decisions that lead to the anime's end no doubt had a negative impact on the franchise. Dumping the anime's director and writer, dropping the budget massively, and all leading into a long filler arc off of the hype that was the Sanctuary Arc's end...how do you mess up an anime that badly?

Even ignoring that, it was a fantastic series with a lot of good things going for it.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah i dont think they're comparable at all

Saint Seiya was actually enjoyable and good

It's a well known fact that japan has the worst taste on earth (see: any character popularity pool) so them disliking it just makes SS even better

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Saint Seiya did compete quite successfully with Dragon Ball for a few years when they ran together in WSJ. Toei's bad decisions that lead to the anime's end no doubt had a negative impact on the franchise. Dumping the anime's director and writer, dropping the budget massively, and all leading into a long filler arc off of the hype that was the Sanctuary Arc's end...how do you mess up an anime that badly?

They were running right into the manga (even the end of the Sanctuary arc is mostly based on outlines rather than the finished manga chapters), they pretty much needed a filler arc to keep the show going. There was no other choice. And it didn't even die due to ratings, but due to the holiday toysales being bad during the Asgard arc.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Based on the Japanese Beta these characters are in: Goku, Vegeta, Frieza, Luffy, Zoro, Blackbeard, Naruto, Sasuke, Seiya, Ichigo, Rukia, Gon, Hisoka, Yusuke and Toguro. You will also be able to pick a selection of custom avatars to fight as well.

Nice. Thanks. Sadly the time schedule for the beta is short and not practical to play in.

Dec 15, 2017
Dont get me wrong, Saint Seiya was as popular or more than Dragon Ball in the late 90's across Latin America and continental Europe. It just never reached the US for some reason so it never became universally popular. You need to reach the anglosphere to have worldwide appeal.

Where's gray haired, red eyed evil Saga though? Most powerful saint of all and the only one that gave Ikki such a beatdown:

We need Arc System works to give Saint Seiya the DBZ Fighters treatment ASAP

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Dont get me wrong, Saint Seiya was as popular or more than Dragon Ball in the late 90's across Latin America and continental Europe. It just never reached the US for some reason so it never became universally popular. You need to reach the anglosphere to have worldwide appeal.

Where's gray haired, red eyed evil Saga though? Most powerful saint of all and the only one that gave Ikki such a beatdown:

We need Arc System works to give Saint Seiya the DBZ Fighters treatment ASAP

Most powerful Saint? I dunno, it might be:

The Ophiuchus Gold Saint, Ophiuchus Odysseus:

latest

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been almost all main characters and main villains, and there's not a lot of women characters of those types in SJ. I mean, for main heroes there's pretty much just Medaka and Jolyne, I think. And only Medaka has been in the previous J-Stars game. Just Rukia so far for this game, really

Uh, no there isn't just those for protagonist. Arale was part of every game, for example. If they wanted, they could put more woman as well even if they're not the protagonists (as they did with Rukia)

"Japan don't care so neither should anyone else" is such a sad excuse for enabling the enrichment of literal pedophiles. :/

Maybe they'll consider to not put Kenshin because reception in the west but don't be surprised to see the character since the manga still continues.

And the example from the guy you quoted is right. The first volume of Kenshin which launched 3 weeks ago reached 300k this week and is very popular. If they go by japanese reception, they won't have any problem. That was what he was trying to say, not that people in the west shouldn't care about it.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i dont think they're comparable at all

Saint Seiya was actually enjoyable and good

It's a well known fact that japan has the worst taste on earth (see: any character popularity pool) so them disliking it just makes SS even better

lol well known fact.

Japan has much better taste, considering that you're saying that Saint Seiya of all things is good with how bad Kurumada is as an artist and storyteller.

Uh, yes, it was. This myth that Saint Seiya never was very popular is false. The manga sold more than 40 million and the anime did well. The manga still continues even today on Akita Shoten with some adaptations here and there and some of them never even get out of there. It's of course very popular in LATAM and Europe but it's definitely aimed at japan first and those external countries later, even more when series got cancelled because of bad japanese sales and reception.

As an American, Saint Seiya absolutely deserves to stand by Dragon Ball Z.

Even ignoring that, it was a fantastic series with a lot of good things going for it.

No, they weren't, at all. Dragon Ball always sold more than Saint Seiya and the anime was also much better received than the manga was, which don't mean that the manga was a failure. It still sold very well with more than 40 million.

And Toei has no involvement on budget questions, much like it was a question of schedule and disponibility, not budget, as it remains on the same level for pretty much all productions.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, saint seiya, the show where I liked almost every other character, yet despised the main protagonist. At least Shiryu is also in.

The show was also very popular for my generation in China. Not sure about kids today though.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Ah yes, saint seiya, the show where I liked almost every other character, yet despised the main protagonist. At least Shiryu is also in.

The show was also very popular for my generation in China. Not sure about kids today though.

as far as anime protagonists goes, seiya is one of the least offensive to me. sure he is boring as hell, but most are. at least he's just boring. also for a protagonist he does get his ass kicked a lot so if you dislike him theres always that small joy every now and then

Deleted member 24624

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People need to stop worrying about Jojo's. It'll probably get 4-5 characters, because of how popular it is now. Ain't none of you sweating bullets like Kinnikuman fans.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they'll consider to not put Kenshin because reception in the west but don't be surprised to see the character since the manga still continues.

And the example from the guy you quoted is right. The first volume of Kenshin which launched 3 weeks ago reached 300k this week and is very popular. If they go by japanese reception, they won't have any problem. That was what he was trying to say, not that people in the west shouldn't care about it.
To be fair, I'm already wary of this game cause I find the art style they chose to go with disgusting but adding that pedo's character to the roster would be a sure fire way to make certain I never touch this with a ten foot pole.

Shiryu is lame. Hyoga is better.
Estás pero si bien mal, mi chavo. Shiryu es la reata. Hyoga es un pinche niño de mami.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I'm already wary of this game cause I find the art style they chose to go with disgusting but adding that pedo's character to the roster would be a sure fire way to make certain I never touch this with a ten foot pole.

Estás pero si bien mal, mi chavo. Shiryu es la reata. Hyoga es un pinche niño de mami.

I'm not interested on it either because of that artstyle (and gameplay) haha It's hideous

rottenpie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I can't stand Seiya's voice, no one can replace Toru Furuya (or Jesus Barrero R.I.P.)

But awesome news! This game is looking great.