• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
Reading through this, I see some mfers coming out tonight. Dude is guilty as hell. Anyone defending him should look in the mirror and figure out their priorities.

Kowpucky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if an armed Proud Boys protest gathers the state over, I can show up with an AR-15, provoke people, and then murder them when they respond to my provocation and get away with it? Am I understanding this correctly?
Yup, they just set precedent today, welcome to the new world of vigilante murders everywhere!! I think there was another school shooting also :(

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I say this as a lawyer: if your answer is "this was the legally correct outcome but was also morally wrong," then there is a problem with the laws and the justice system itself.

There is no ethical value in being technically correct.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
It truly stuns me that people are defending this pos even here. There was nothing about this that was self defense. Most of the people he killed thought they were responding to an active shooter and were trying to save lives. Fuck all the way off with this bullshit.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I say this as a lawyer: if your answer is "this was the legally correct outcome but was also morally wrong," then there is a problem with the laws and the justice system itself.

There are many things that are morally wrong that shouldn't be illegal IMO, things like adultery for example

Not saying its the case here, but there's many cases where I would say that and not think there's a problem with the laws

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
There are many things that are morally wrong that shouldn't be illegal IMO, things like adultery for example

Not saying its the case here, but there's many cases where I would say that and not think there's a problem with the laws
Yeah, good point. You said it better than I did. Mostly just trying to state that "it was technically self-defense but was still wrong" is an unhelpful part of the conversation and that, if that is someone's argument, examining whether the conduct SHOULD be criminalized is important too. If THAT answer is yes, then the entire system needs to be changed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020

I think the discussion for some people is not if he was wrong, but how you convict someone legally when the laws allow such unethical actions?

Of course we would rightly point that it happens to black people all the time, but this is often a miscarriage of Justice. And one should not support abusing justice to equal the playing field, we should support fair laws (which they are not) being upheld fairly (which they are not).

Frankly, this is where I'm at. Our laws suck, our gun laws are bad, Kyle shouldn't have been there and put himself in a place where he could kill someone. And the current system allows all of it.

I don't think what he did should be allowed or legal. I also don't feel right saying the laws should be ignored. So Im feeling like there was no right way to convict him because the system is set up already to allow him to be innocent. So I find myself less upset with the actual verdict and more upset with the laws and the systems that got us here. This was always the natural outcome.

I hope this doesn't come across as me defending him. I'm not at all. I just don't see how one can convict him without also bending the laws of conviction that could then be bent whenever someone disagrees with them. So my issue is mainly with the laws, the ethics, and the culture, but not the result of today.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit how?????

This is being infuriating.

The American justice system is a goddamned joke.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think the discussion for some people is not if he was wrong, but how you convict someone legally when the laws allow such unethical actions?

Of course we would rightly point that it happens to black people all the time, but this is often a miscarriage of Justice. And one should not support abusing justice to equal the playing field, we should support fair laws (which they are not) being upheld fairly (which they are not).

Frankly, this is where I'm at. Our laws suck, our gun laws are bad, Kyle shouldn't have been there and put himself in a place where he could kill someone. And the current system allows all of it.

I don't think what he did should be allowed or legal. I also don't feel right saying the laws should be ignored. So Im feeling like there was no right way to convict him because the system is set up already to allow him to be innocent. So I find myself less upset with the actual verdict and more upset with the laws and the systems that got us here. This was always the natural outcome.

I hope this doesn't come across as me defending him. I'm not at all. I just don't see how one can convict him without also bending the laws of conviction that could then be bent whenever someone disagrees with them. So my issue is mainly with the laws, the ethics, and the culture, but not the result of today.
I mean, I'm gonna be honest. Laws don't really matter when it comes to ethics, by which I mean the laws are just a reflection of what governments and those who control them find important, which in turn isn't equivalent to what is just. The laws of a country that routinely and consciously results in favorable outcomes for white people just because they're white are frankly not worth respecting. So like...who the fuck cares if the jury would've had to have subverted "the system" to put Kyle away? Why are we acting like the American judicial system, a system that for hundreds of years was like "yeah slavery's cool", deserves such a veneer of legitimacy that anyone has to be okay with the results it spits out from its algorithms?

We should be taking issue with everything, including the fuck-ass jury. They made an unjust outcome. So fuck 'em too. Whatever happens to them happens.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I mean, I'm gonna be honest. Laws don't really matter when it comes to ethics, by which I mean the laws are just a reflection of what governments and those who control them find important, which in turn isn't equivalent to what is just. The laws of a country that routinely and consciously results in favorable outcomes for white people just because they're white are frankly not worth respecting. So like...who the fuck cares if the jury would've had to have subverted "the system" to put Kyle away? Why are we acting like the American judicial system, a system that for hundreds of years was like "yeah slavery's cool", deserves such a veneer of legitimacy that anyone has to be okay with the results it spits out from its algorithms?

We should be taking issue with everything, including the fuck-ass jury. They made an unjust outcome. So fuck 'em too. Whatever happens to them happens.
I generally agree. But I don't agree either that just discarding the laws and executing justice based on individual ethics is a viable route either. Not that this one isn't obvious.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Don't want to be all conspiracy theorist but... prosecution did such a terrible job too... What are the chances they were "manipulated"?
Even if it did happen that way, unless someone did a good investigation and proved that nothing would happen.

Even if they proved that, incentive to stop that sort of things wouldn't be there without real charges coming for anyone behind it.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021

200.gif

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not surprising. The prosecution made an atrocious case.
I really wish people would stop pretending like the outcome of this trial is 100% on the prosecution and not on the metric shitload of other deciding factors. And I know that's not what you said but I have seen so many people bring up the prosecution without even mentioning all of the other things that were in his favor from the start.

And don't get me wrong the prosecution sucked, but they were the least of the reasons why he got to walk free today. Between his skin color, his politics, the ludicrous laws in wisconsin, and the judge working in his favor the prosecution never stood a chance no matter how good they were.

Oct 25, 2017
The prosecution didn't create the laws that allowed all of this to be legal in Wisconsin.
The laws of Wisconsin did not require the prosecution to fail to establish the curfew that Rittenhouse violated, charge Rittenhouse with an appropriate weapons charge, or call a witness that was going to testify that they pointed a gun at Rittenhouse before he shot him.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I generally agree. But I don't agree either that just discarding the laws and executing justice based on individual ethics is a viable route either. Not that this one isn't obvious.
Vigilantism is neither here nor there. If Kyle is found dead some day, oh well.

I just want people to stop legitimizing white killers being freed by saying "The outcome sucked, but oh well that's the appropriate outcome due to the system."

You don't have to accept that framing, and doing so just gives white supremacists ammo.

Either a legal system produces mainly bad outcomes, or mainly good ones. If it produces mainly bad ones, then it doesn't actually matter if the outcomes are the logical results of the system's inner workings. Like, no one thinks returning slaves was good because that was the law. Indeed, breaking the law in this instance would be the just result. And imagine being that so-called abolitionist who went "Yo, Dave you can't HELP them escape because that's undermining the system. It sucks but what can you do."

Dave is the actual ally here.

Kyle going free is bad because the system is bad. It's all bad. To give any quarter to that simply because he was freed by a jury as per legal precedent is absurd.

Redshirt

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Hostility towards a staff member

Jesus. You are such a piece of shit. When have you ever been honest you dog shit bigoted cunt?

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Vigilantism is neither here nor there. If Kyle is found dead some day, oh well.

I just want people to stop legitimizing white killers being freed by saying "The outcome sucked, but oh well that's the appropriate outcome due to the system."

You don't have to accept that framing, and doing so just gives white supremacists ammo.

Either a legal system produces mainly bad outcomes, or mainly good ones. If it produces mainly bad ones, then it doesn't actually matter if the outcomes are the logical results of the system's inner workings. Like, no one thinks returning slaves was good because that was the law. Indeed, breaking the law in this instance would be the just result. And imagine being that so-called abolitionist who went "Yo, Dave you can't HELP them escape because that's undermining the system. It sucks but what can you do."

Dave is the actual ally here.

Kyle going free is bad because the system is bad. It's all bad. To give any quarter to that simply because he was freed by a jury as per legal precedent is absurd.
I think my general disagreement seems to be that this is still trying to argue that people in the system can operate within it but using moral means. As if the system just requires jurors to "do the right thing" or be more moral. But the legal system disallows this in its current state.

The whole "The master's tools will never dismantle the master's house." And all.

Additionally this outlook allows a lot of terrible things to be done to innocent people as well.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Jesus. You are such a piece of shit. When have you ever been honest you dog shit bigoted cunt?
I know you're about to be banned but when you inevitably come back here to desperately get a glimpse of whatever kind of reactions that you tried to get from this post I hope you realize just how ignorant and hypocritical this post really is.

Fucking morons always got to come out of the woodwork for threads like this. Like clockwork.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I saw a well liked twitter post say something along the lines of "Our system isn't perfect but I wouldn't trade it for any other!" like, why? do you really think the American judicial system is the very best in the world? How?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I really wish people would stop pretending like the outcome of this trial is 100% on the prosecution and not on the metric shitload of other deciding factors. And I know that's not what you said but I have seen so many people bring up the prosecution without even mentioning all of the other things that were in his favor from the start.

And don't get me wrong the prosecution sucked, but they were the least of the reasons why he got to walk free today. Between his skin color, his politics, the ludicrous laws in wisconsin, and the judge working in his favor the prosecution never stood a chance no matter how good they were.
Pretty much.